Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Boob Noooooo!

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1689422000228544512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:siren: MICHAEL LORENZEN NO HITTER :siren:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

triple sulk posted:

gently caress yeah! Good for him :unsmith:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1685844106621108224

Yankees pitched him twice after these quotes lol

Definition of insanity is.....

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blue Jays 5-0 when Davis Schneider plays. He is beautiful.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

This is a game that need to be kept in the Smithsonian: Wilson's HR, Casty's 200th that likely caused catastrophe, this dude:
https://twitter.com/BotWithABeard/status/1689417159141634050#m

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Astros gain a game on the Rangers even though the Rangers played the worst team in baseball and the Astros played the second best, best in the AL

Feels good man

e: so real talk, what happened to Severino?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 10, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJfVJhkNuc

Laz to Boone: "Look at your record. What the gently caress have you done here? You haven't done a loving thing here. And I stink?"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Laz's zone was dogshit but also drat he gave as good as he got in that one, lol.

Ever since Jomboy pointed out that all the umps set up inside give a bunch of generous outside calls I've been looking for it and yep, it's almost like clockwork. Kind of thing that would be super easy to fix if there was any kind of accountability for the umps whatsoever.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins have apparently lost their ability to beat bad teams

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

IcePhoenix posted:

this is the same as saying buxton lost his ability to stay off the IL

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

that doesn't bode well in the AL Central

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I was shocked to learn that Toronto has the lowest ERA in MLB this season. What the hell!?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Im just baffled by the Yankees strategy of "Luis Severino sucks so lets skip his start, use an opener, and then bring in... Luis Severino"

Psychological play where if the inning says something other than "1" he wont suck I guess?

Like yes I get that you want your players to succeed and all but at some point you have to just go ok this is not working before you permanently break a dude (if he isnt already)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They can't put him out there anymore if they believe they can make it in the playoffs

Clarence
May 3, 2012

When do the 2024 game times get published?

I may be in Chicago for a couple of days at the beginning of April next year and could take the opportunity for attending Babby's first baseball game. Both Cubs and White Sox are at home on the first and second so maybe go to both!
The first is the Cub's home opener so could be very busy so maybe avoid that one?

The flight would land just after lunch so it could depend on game times as to which one to see first (I'm assuming I'd have plenty of time to get to an evening game on that first day).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Clarence posted:

When do the 2024 game times get published?

I may be in Chicago for a couple of days at the beginning of April next year and could take the opportunity for attending Babby's first baseball game. Both Cubs and White Sox are at home on the first and second so maybe go to both!
The first is the Cub's home opener so could be very busy so maybe avoid that one?

The flight would land just after lunch so it could depend on game times as to which one to see first (I'm assuming I'd have plenty of time to get to an evening game on that first day).

Opening Day is going to be an afternoon game, so I guess avoid that if you're trying to see a game on your very first day. Otherwise, Cubs games on Friday, Saturday, Sunday are normally day games with a 1:20 PM start, sometimes in the evening, but that's unusual. Games during the week are typically at night, with starts between 6 and 7 PM. White Sox games are almost always 6-7 PM starts, except for Sundays, which is normally a 1 PM start. I don't think actual game times get posted until a few months before the season starts, when tickets go on sale.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

fast cars loose anus posted:

Im just baffled by the Yankees strategy of "Luis Severino sucks so lets skip his start, use an opener, and then bring in... Luis Severino"

Psychological play where if the inning says something other than "1" he wont suck I guess?

Like yes I get that you want your players to succeed and all but at some point you have to just go ok this is not working before you permanently break a dude (if he isnt already)

They’re kinda stuck with him until someone else goes on the IL. They can’t really do a full bullpen game because the only pitcher they have that’s capable of going more than five innings is Cole, so they can’t burn the pen for an entire game

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 10, 2023

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

The Twins are bad and hilariously own themselves pretty often, so this isn't really true

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

They’re kinda stuck with him until someone else goes on the IL. They can’t really do a full bullpen game because the only pitcher they have that’s capable of going more than five innings is Cole, so they can’t burn the pen for an entire game

They really aren't stuck with him. They can just start Randy Vazquez or Brito.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When was the last time a batter charged the mound

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
16 days ago I went and watched my dead boring married to .500 50-50 Mariners play a game against the Twins. In the bottom of the 7th the Twins had a win probability over 97%.

The M's won. 16 days later, after trading their closer at the deadline, they're 10 games over .500 and I'm hyped again like an idiot.

Baseball is so dumb and fun.

zoux posted:

When was the last time a batter charged the mound

Harper and the helmet throw comes to mind.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I was shocked to learn that Toronto has the lowest ERA in MLB this season. What the hell!?

Don't worry the Cubs will fix that this weekend

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The M's also delivered the Angels their final humiliation before losing Ohtani for nothing

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

hyped again like an idiot

Gang tag

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jon Singleton starting today for the getaway game :getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quite a journey

https://twitter.com/JuliaMorales/status/1689428510392143873

Jules has been with the team almost 10 years

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

The M's also delivered the Angels their final humiliation before losing Ohtani for nothing

Oh yeah. You're welcome, baseball. In that 16 days they also Tungsten Arm'd Ohtani at the funniest time possible.

This is hopefully the face of a man that has had enough.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Tony Phillips posted:

Oh yeah. You're welcome, baseball. In that 16 days they also Tungsten Arm'd Ohtani at the funniest time possible.

This is hopefully the face of a man that has had enough.

I agree, I hope that Nevin has seen enough and moves on to a different organization.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
After Phil Nevin picked a fight that got Mike Trout injured last year I can't take him seriously.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It didn't work out for them, but I'm still glad that the Angels didn't trade Ohtani.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/StoolBaseball/status/1689349774766432256

No fuckin way I'm marrying a guy with a sub .600 OPS in Colorado. Good lord have some self respect.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/NathanSRuiz/status/1689467694632910849

Jack throwing some shade

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

more falafel please posted:

It didn't work out for them, but I'm still glad that the Angels didn't trade Ohtani.

I'm not sure Ohtani agrees

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

more falafel please posted:

It would have been neat to have a league MVP traded mid-season as a permanent monument to the Angels' ownership incompetence.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Prof. Spaceman posted:

It would have been neat to have a league MVP traded mid-season as a permanent monument to the Angels' ownership incompetence.

A’s did it with McGuire so there’s precedence with poorly run teams from California that start with A.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As of the deadline Ohtani had over 8 bWAR (not sure exactly how much, it's 9 exactly now so I presume around 8.5ish)

If he had been traded to the NL, let's say he puts up... 6-7 bWAR. Is it possible for one player to win both MVP awards or would he not be qualified for either?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

*jack is immediately traded*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Well Played Mauer posted:

Surely there is someone in the minors who can eat innings at a better clip than *checks baseball reference* an 8.06 ERA and -2 WAR