Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Selachian posted:

Meanwhile in 1951, the Chicago Tribune cartoonists are being generally pissy about Democrats.

Look at all those labels.

We could probably make a collection of these economic "switch" cartoons from conservatives.

Also a good reminder of John Cole
https://ncnewsline.com/author/johnc/

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

By popular demand posted:

I said then that the best thing Hillary could've done after losing was slide down her sunglasses and tear away in a fancy sports car with a "later, bitches" as she drives off into the sunset.
Doing anything less is just more asshat rightwing commentator fodder.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Jack Ohman

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

John Branch

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Randall Enos - Donor Deficiency

Dave Whamond

Bill Bramhall

Adam Zyglis

bartok
May 10, 2006

Clay's going to have to check in to the ER for priapism when that 4th indictment drops next week.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Trump's campaign is negative but what is the rest of this metaphor? Is it Most Incomprehensible or just me

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

Bill Bramhall

Well I'll be, a cartoonist who understands ACME products always backfire.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Trump's campaign is negative but what is the rest of this metaphor? Is it Most Incomprehensible or just me

I'm pretty sure you have fully comprehended it. Trump's campaign is negative, and "negative" is also a word that describes what's going on with the poorly-rendered alligator clip the mechanic has. It does seem like there should be more, but I don't think there actually is.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

So the act of jumping a car doesn't represent anything, the car doesn't represent anything. It's like the cartoonist had his corpus calossum severed and doesn't interpret things on one side. Odd.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

So the act of jumping a car doesn't represent anything, the car doesn't represent anything. It's like the cartoonist had his corpus calossum severed and doesn't interpret things on one side. Odd.

It's Seinfeld: The Political Cartoon. It's a cartoon about nothing!

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Kellies nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Is there a Kelly category for "Kids and their gizmos"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Red = red states = republicans.

So, the cartoon means "republicans are good, but Trump is bad"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

Eh, a school I was working at least a decade ago had a student flattened by a bus because of that. It's a completely accurate sign.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gnome de plume posted:

there can be, but it's up to you to nominate for it!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

*Note, the color of your skin may affect what capitalism recognizes you as

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

Even with no dialogue, this guy just cannot draw a closed mouth.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
lmao @ the caption. They really didn't have to even try for implication in cartoons back then, huh? Literally just telling their readers "associate these three concepts in your head from now on".

This is just a nazi cartoon with English captions.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ajkalan posted:

Even with no dialogue, this guy just cannot draw a closed mouth.

The way that third character is kinda lurking in darkness at the bottom of the cartoon makes me think Hitch finished his drawing with the two characters and was about to submit it and was like

"No. Wait. Let's do this. I'm going to draw a closed mouth"

and then the result was so abominable he had to crop it all the way to the top lip just to salvage the cartoon

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Always be ready to punch anyone bringing up "degenerate art"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

And yet, this thread,

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

But what if it's gross or offensive? Then it's okay right

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

People are not performing the personal pugilistic duty prescribed for every upstanding citizen.

E: you're not required to like every piece of art, just to not be a fascist about it.

I'm not that excited about Piss Christ but I can accept that it's a just figurine someone stuck in a jar and not a harbinger of the end times.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 10, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Red = red states = republicans.

So, the cartoon means "republicans are good, but Trump is bad"

But it's an electric circuit, neither of them are bad and you need to have both or you're hosed and you can't start your car

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But if you do them in the wrong order you can get sparks in a dangerous place.

So first you need republican on the dead, then you need the republican donors, then you need the Trump donors, then you need the Trump campaign on bare metal on the car you're jumping, then remove them in the reverse of that order?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's all good if you only store them in an oxygen free container, that way they stay inert.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Microplastics posted:

And yet, this thread,

Hey there's a world of difference between "this 'art' shows the innate moral and cultural inferiority of a group of people" and "I really hope Branco doesn't draw a big stinky pile of poo poo this week! Oh no, it's even bigger and stinkier! gently caress this guy he sucks!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

"this 'art' shows the innate moral and cultural inferiority of a group of people"
That's 90% of Stiglich's 'art' though :v:

The original meaning, before Hitler ran with it, was based on 'healthy proportions' in art, based on pseudoscience by Max Nordau, who was Jewish but also a phrenology crank. In which case that's definitely Hitch.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i kinda wish there was a way to visually represent a "cycle". like a common shape or mode of transportation or something you know?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

God loving drat it Mike, please don't fall into the trap of thinking that Cheney is any kind of correct. She votes with the Republican party line literally 98% of the time, the only major thing she disagrees on is Trump.

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

Kellies nomination: Laziest non-Gorrell, Worst cartoon about a tragedy

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“Our churches” from a kid wearing a kippah?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Kellies nomination: Laziest non-Gorrell, Worst cartoon about a tragedy

Nonsense, this Maui with an owie is deeply respectful of those who have died

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

GROSS, dude! (S.Kelly that is. gross.)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

So... Bidenomics is just normal capitalism?

(income taxes, the kind of taxes you think Biden controls, are at record lows and have been for a while now you gently caress)

Edit: how come no Presidential administration thought to whip up a dark-money propaganda campaign correctly explaining he can't do poo poo to the economy in a term where everything sucked at the end of it?

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 10, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Lots of edit potential here.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 10, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

The Islamic Shock posted:

Edit: how come no Presidential administration thought to whip up a dark-money propaganda campaign correctly explaining he can't do poo poo to the economy in a term where everything sucked at the end of it?

Probably because it's a total non-starter compared to the other guy promising to fix everything if you vote out the buffoon who ruined everything. Even if it's right and all, even if it was perfectly on target and educational. Something something an entire lifetime of jokes about trusting in the inherent goodness and intelligence of the common man, something something Futurama/Simpsons jokes.

I'd also assume that like education about unions all the competing interests are producing dark-money propaganda arguing the opposite.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Lee Anderson and the Bibby Stockholm barge – Downing Street has backed the Conservative deputy chair, Lee Anderson, after he said people seeking asylum should ‘gently caress off back to France’ if they did not like being housed on the Bibby Stockholm barge" After William Dyce.

Telegraph:

"China faces an economic perfect storm – with potentially catastrophic consequences"

Matt:

Owners of Britain’s wonkiest pub hired digger used to demolish it days before fire

Independent:

Times:

China dissidents fear for safety after polling data cyberattack

Evening Standard:

Jamie Reid the artist who designed covers for Sex Pistols’ albums dies

Bonus!

Rail commuters face ‘new kick in teeth’ with hefty season ticket rise

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Didn't think I'd see a giant uncensored gently caress in a British broadsheet newspaper, but he's sitting right there :dadjoke:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
50 years of things being poo poo don't mean anything unless a democrat is in charge and then IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Lol "Venezuelan-style justice department", just saying whatever floats into his smooth, smooth brain at a given moment

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

I would probably not jump into a swimming pool that was visibly full of sharks