Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

$4k rebate from SMUD for switching from a gas heater to electric

wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

they want everything electric, nevermind yearly brownout warnings during the summer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
why would i use my heater in the summer

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why would i use my heater in the summer

to open your pores

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My house is now the local facebook group cover picture

I"m dying lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Cute house, tho, mr. humblebrag.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

I bought mine at the end of 2021 and have dropped about 15k so far (replacement chimney, new crawlspace jackposts, misc plumbing and heating and electrical repairs) and I'm still looking at another 10k on a furnace and oil tank and 1k on a new stove soon. This doesn't include a broken ceiling fan, some desperately needed remodeling of a bathroom and laundry room, or weather-proofing, or things I really should do like get my crawlspace sealed up. poo poo is expensive. Anyway im not having kids, i have a house

what thing cost the most so far? were you at least aware of it going in?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My house is now the local facebook group cover picture

I"m dying lmao

i love it. what does your attic/3rd floor look like if you dont mind?

Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Cute house, tho, mr. humblebrag.

That's right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

i am harry posted:

no that’s the sort of thing an inspection should catch

Inspections miss a lot more than you think. Our house burned down in 2018 and needed to be rebuilt from the ground up. Our city has some incredibly, annoyingly thorough inspectors (unless you're friends with our mayor king) who went through every part of the house with a fine tooth comb over the course of a year, coming out more times than I can remember. They did two separate inspections of the sewer system despite the sewer lines obviously being completely untouched by the fire. We had our own plumber conduct a full video inspection of the existing sewer lines before we started the rough-in.

Anyway, those same sewer lines collapsed four months after we moved in and cost almost $20k to repair. If we had sold after the rebuild, which we were thinking about doing, there was nothing anyone could have ever done to know they were buying a ticking time bomb. Even the guys who replaced the line didn't really understand the extent of the damage until they started trenching.

Nothing quite that major, but the inspector we got for the condo my partner's parents are moving into also missed some pretty pricey repairs. A lot of really expensive problems tend to be in areas that you can't access without digging or cutting.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

RadiRoot posted:

what thing cost the most so far? were you at least aware of it going in?

Yep, almost everything was picked up during the inspection. A few things broke ahead of schedule (the jackposts) that I had to prioritize, thus moving other (important) things, like replacing the furnace, off for another year. Here's to hoping she holds for the winter.

So far, the chimney was the most expensive thing (~8k), though I did have a tree fall on my house in Jan that came up to about ~25k in damages. Insurance covered that part, thankfully, but I spent another 2k taking down a tree next to the one that fell. Also I have another rotten tree I should take down too.

:homebrew:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yep, almost everything was picked up during the inspection. A few things broke ahead of schedule (the jackposts) that I had to prioritize, thus moving other (important) things, like replacing the furnace, off for another year. Here's to hoping she holds for the winter.

So far, the chimney was the most expensive thing (~8k), though I did have a tree fall on my house in Jan that came up to about ~25k in damages. Insurance covered that part, thankfully, but I spent another 2k taking down a tree next to the one that fell. Also I have another rotten tree I should take down too.

:homebrew:

chimneys are something i never gave much thought on since i never pictured myself really using one. hoping your winter is a good one too.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Ammanas posted:

they want everything electric, nevermind yearly brownout warnings during the summer

I love how PFC turned this into homeowner chat

anyways I used BrandonBucks to get a shitton off a grandfathered solar array and battery, when our garbage utility company cuts the power I can still post

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The market still sucks. Illinois is still up 0.8% year over year.

Don't sell. Go on a sellers strike. We need to get that number back to 22%>

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Might as well doxx myself. This is what I'm buying.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/401-S-Chester-St-Blacksburg-SC-29702/2058019383_zpid/

It's my post-divorce bungalow, with just enough room for me and my two boys.

Roast me? Congratulate me? Defenestrate me?

Whatever. This is hell world, and I'm doing my best.

My favorite features are the quiet close cabinets and drawers, and being a block away from my kids' school. The laminate is pretty high quality, too. Seriously, I'm taking too much pride in this. Someone do something.

Apr 7, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

I love how PFC turned this into homeowner chat

It was always supposed to be homeowner chat, the OP started this thread so I'd quit posting about houses in the Doomsday Econ thread

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

my house is across the street from my kids elementary. absolutely worth every single penny not to get her up early and into a car to go there. I don’t even have to put on clothes for her to go to school now!

Apr 7, 2003

(he failed)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

i am harry posted:

my house is across the street from my kids elementary. absolutely worth every single penny not to get her up early and into a car to go there. I don’t even have to put on clothes for her to go to school now!

I'm 30 minutes away now, at my mother's. I am weeping to get into my own home and to be that close. The middle and high schools are 2-3 blocks away, too. So in a few years they can walk to school and let me sleep in.

I don't think I will opt to take them to school in my boxers. That seems....problematic

There is no containing the Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

anonumos posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/401-S-Chester-St-Blacksburg-SC-29702/2058019383_zpid/

and being a block away from my kids' school.

congrats and the quoted is a big factor for our family as well.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

anonumos posted:

My favorite features are the quiet close cabinets and drawers, and being a block away from my kids' school. The laminate is pretty high quality, too. Seriously, I'm taking too much pride in this. Someone do something.

congrats! I like it. It's good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

anonumos posted:

super nice and perfect for your family size

kids will love the yard when it grows in

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

super nice and perfect for your family size

kids will love the yard when it grows in

It's already grown in since the Realtors pictures. I'm going to screen in the back porch, throw up a small privacy fence around it, then a chain link or wire fence around the back yard. Some bushes, banana palms, flowers, trampoline, swings...gonna be a nice place. Railings on the front porch. So many plans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s nice to see someone is building normal sized houses on decent lot sizes somewhere in the world

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

dude, it's small and manageable, and given the world, a decent price.

genuine congratulations

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

it’s nice to see someone is building normal sized houses on decent lot sizes somewhere in the world

The builder chopped a 3/4 acre corner lot into three. The houses are identical on the inside. It seems to be good quality; will know for sure today or tomorrow when the inspection comes back.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

dude, it's small and manageable, and given the world, a decent price.

genuine congratulations

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they even put ceiling fans in . wow

maybe there is normal in your hell state

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

they even put ceiling fans in . wow

maybe there is normal in your hell state

Ooooh yeah forgot about those. They're nice, too, not like those painted sheet metal fans most builders use. Wish there was a fridge...

I think they lingered in the market because Blacksburg, sc isn't wealthy, nor is it close enough to Charlotte or Spartanburg to be a bedroom town. All three houses lingered for over 100 days. All three went under contract in July (I was waiting on the proceeds of selling the marital home and thought I'd be SOL after the first two went under offer).

anonumos has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Aug 10, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

Ooooh yeah forgot about those. They're nice, too, not like those painted sheet metal fans most builders use. Wish there was a fridge...

98.6% of "poor" households have a fridge

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

looking at the listing more, i'm even more impressed

actual lighting everywhere. cabinet faces that are ACTUAL LUMBER wtf. vinyl plank flooring is actually nice (i installed it myself in my own kitchen). A simple roof that will be easy/cheap to repair/replace.

how did this get built??????

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

anonumos posted:

that's a good buy, I'm slightly jealous

congrats

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

looking at the listing more, i'm even more impressed

actual lighting everywhere. cabinet faces that are ACTUAL LUMBER wtf. vinyl plank flooring is actually nice (i installed it myself in my own kitchen). A simple roof that will be easy/cheap to repair/replace.

how did this get built??????

Dude I don't know! It's the middle of nowhere. Like in the city even at this sqft they'd be easily 350k. Who uses this build quality in am old iron town on the border of NC and SC?

Only reason I'm in this area is my ex wife married some loser who's parents have land here. They're staying rent free in his departed grandmother's old house. I couldn't expect her to move back to the city, so I'm commuting an hour every other week (I wfh when I have custody, week on week off).

I'm beyond lucky. A lot of things have come together for this to work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

builder saved money not doing a basement . but maybe that is normal in the area

Apr 7, 2003

sending my bats to this guy's new address

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

It's becoming more common. It's cleaner, cheaper, and more durable, but if any of the underground bits break you're sawing open the slab.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

sending my bats to this guy's new address

Have the bats' rep reach out first. I have a much better address for them. Mwahahaha

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

absolutely normal in South Carolina

basements are abnormal in most of the country

I had two friends who had never left the state move to Baltimore at 28 years old and were like "what do I do with this??" lol it's for storing all the cold weather poo poo you need!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

absolutely normal in South Carolina

basements are abnormal in most of the country

Also the red clay makes basements miserable. If a house has a basement here, it's gotta be finished. Unfinished basements are a mold bomb.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

anonumos posted:

The middle and high schools are 2-3 blocks away, too.
yeah same but the 12 year old still asks every morning if someone can drive her there 🙄

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

there are loving finger joints on those cabinet faces. that's not exactly technical carpentry, but like... it's so cheap and so prevalent just using a piece of laminated MDF. Just can't figure out how this happened.