Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Can’t do that. I subscribe to the “you can’t articulate why you believe a game is bad unless you play until the end” line of thought. Plus people recommended it so maybe it gets better?

And honestly the gameplay is good. The parry mechanic is well done and adds a lot of reward for getting it right.

We obviously can’t stop you, but I can just tell you that while other zones have some very cool and interesting aesthetic designs, the core complaints you have are not going to vanish if you keep playing and your overall impression is not likely to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Can’t do that. I subscribe to the “you can’t articulate why you believe a game is bad unless you play until the end” line of thought. Plus people recommended it so maybe it gets better?

Have you considered playing games that you like without worrying about whether they're good or bad?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I simply play games I enjoy, and stop playing them when I don't

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Have you considered playing games that you like without worrying about whether they're good or bad?

Then we can’t have multiple page arguments about how Hollow Knight is bad actually

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tortolia posted:

Then we can’t have multiple page arguments about how Hollow Knight is bad actually

Those conversations would still happen, it would just change to a conversation about why people bounced off the game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

King of Solomon posted:

Those conversations would still happen, it would just change to a conversation about why people bounced off the game.

Pressed down + attack in mid-air.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

then how will we get more posts repeatedly making GBS threads on animations from a tiny dev team?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

And honestly the gameplay is good. The parry mechanic is well done and adds a lot of reward for getting it right.

The game is also easy enough for a casual play through.

It’s just everything else is so bland. The game should be taught on how NOT to do sound design for games. I would even go as far to say that it is openly hostile to those with accessibility issues. Sounds cues are very important to the visually impaired (or anyone dealing with a lot of particles on the screen) and Grime provides essentially zero feedback to the user. The flower boss with the two gollums are a great example because the attacks are only proceeded by quiet, similar sounding grunts. If one were relying on sound to help distinguish attacks, they would be frustrated with this game.

You can do whatever you want, but as with books, my experience with games became much, much better when I gave myself permission to just stop playing a game if I didn't like it. I don't care that much if I can articulate why I don't like a game, the important part is I don't like it and I'm not enjoying myself and I don't need to spend my limited time on a game I'm not enjoying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

No Dignity posted:

I simply play games I enjoy, and stop playing them when I don't

This is the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard.

You play the games unless you hate them, then you play them to 100% conpletion because otherwise the game wins and gently caress if I'm going to let that happen

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

You play the games unless you hate them, then you play them to 100% conpletion because otherwise the game wins and gently caress if I'm going to let that happen

Me, staring at the new "Vicious" mode I unlocked in Vernal Edge :shepface:

Which, all told, despite me being whiny about it yesterday, didn't seem as bad once I made it through the little gauntlet the final boss throws at you. I was pretty salty that I was getting juggled by a nearly invincible/super powerful boss, right up until a mid-fight cutscene happened that turns it into a regular fight. I was actually one hit away from discovering that on my second or third attempt, but zigged when I should've zagged and ate it before the super-long mid-battle super attack was finished, then never got that far in again.

Haak is pretty cool! I was confusing it with a different 2D metroidvania game set in a post-apocalyptic future (I'll find the name of that one later, I think it's also going on my to-play list. You play as an android that somebody randomly finds and get brought back to their home before poo poo goes sideways) but I recognized this one as soon as the character walked on screen. I like the fact that it gives you both a melee and a little short range gun to attack and get around. I think every one of these games should have an up-aerial attack that gives you just enough height to make jumps, even if they're intended to progress, because they still make me feel smart. I feel a lot better about the combat in Haak too, because the first boss appeared and I rinsed him. That's a real breath of relief after having to fight a pretty hard boss from VE.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

:golfclap:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Yep. But then folks would be defensive and say “well you didn’t really play the game.”

Also some of it just me trying to ensure I’m not being needlessly contrarian. When I have an issue with a game that I don’t see people mention, I question if it’s just something that I’m not clicking with. Example would be I haven’t seen a single complaint about the sound design of Grime so I keep checking if it just my local copy or that the sounds might improve drastically in the second half of the game that folks forgot about it.

So I’ll continue on today.

SkeletonHero posted:

lol

Morpheus posted:

This too. Not a fan of the “git gud” culture when one has an issue with a game so you feel you have to prove its not a skill issue but an issue with the game itself.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 10, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some of you guys should try enjoying life imo

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Some of you guys should try enjoying life imo

Video Games are Serious Business™. You don't play them to have fun. You play them to win.

Morpheus posted:

See? This totally serious poster gets it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SkeletonHero posted:

Lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yep. But then folks would be defensive and say “well you didn’t really play the game.”

Also some of it just me trying to ensure I’m not being needlessly contrarian. When I have an issue with a game that I don’t see people mention, I question if it’s just something that I’m not clicking with. Example would be I haven’t seen a single complaint about the sound design of Grime so I keep checking if it just my local copy or that the sounds might improve drastically in the second half of the game that folks forgot about it.

So I’ll continue on today.

lol

This too. Not a fan of the “git gud” culture when one has an issue with a game so you feel you have to prove its not a skill issue but an issue with the game itself.

"I played (game name). It didn't grab me."

There, it's not needlessly contrarion.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Imagine having an internal dialogue where you're telling yourself to keep on playing you dislike, just to prove to yourself(?) that you're not being contrarian

and then posting on SA and having the dumbest, most contrarian opinions in the thread anyway

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ilmucche posted:

"I played (game name). It didn't grab me."

There, it's not needlessly contrarion.

Liar! If you had truly played (game name) you would have been blown away because literally everything (game name) does is perfect. Let me get into a bit more detail starting chrologically. First of all...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I guess there's also a difference between playing a game you're not enjoying, and playing through a part you're not enjoying because you know that the game was fun and will be fun after this part, it's just a poorly-made area of the experience or something that doesn't warrant shutting the whole thing down.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I appreciate people posting their impressions about games they played even if they didn't enjoy them.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Example would be I haven’t seen a single complaint about the sound design of Grime so I keep checking if it just my local copy or that the sounds might improve drastically in the second half of the game that folks forgot about it.

For what it's worth, I just put in like 20m into the NG+ cycle of the game to see the new content and mess around with a different primary weapon, and I paid particular attention to the sound when doing so based on your comments in this discussion. It's certainly possible there's some audio issues on your version, or there may be merit in messing around with the different volume sliders, but the sound design still seems good to me; some good bassy thumps as your rock man lands, movement ability feedback as you use your special pull/hover/etc skills, some solid thumps as you hit enemies or bash terrain, atmospheric sounds like water dripping in caves, and whatnot. It's possible that you're using a weapon that's got less pronounced audio feedback, but in general, I think the reason that you've not seen complaints about the sounds is that they come across as entirely workmanlike for the genre, if not outright being pretty solid.

Now the style of the enemy models (which is almost like the old stop-motion claymation games back in the day) is not going to change, and they design the enemies where the only way you're going to get a normal recoil animation out of them is if you do something to actually interrupt them (parries, a pull when they're exposed, etc). That doesn't seem to be something you like, and that goes all the way to endgame. But it's possible there is something weird with your audio.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Well I got soft locked in the game and that was the final straw. I was using the stick to slow my character down and get to different places. I thought this was what you were supposed to do but it turn out that isn’t the case. Then I got to an area where there is an unavoidable trap to the left and a drop that kills me on the right. There’s a platform above but I can’t reach it and there is nothing for the stick to “grab” on to. Lots of progress lost.

Grime is just an all around bad game. The gameplay can’t save the miserable experience the devs created.

Tortolia posted:

Now the style of the enemy models (which is almost like the old stop-motion claymation games back in the day) is not going to change, and they design the enemies where the only way you're going to get a normal recoil animation out of them is if you do something to actually interrupt them (parries, a pull when they're exposed, etc). That doesn't seem to be something you like, and that goes all the way to endgame. But it's possible there is something weird with your audio.

I couldn’t disagree more on it looking like claymation. Claymation is a favorite medium of mine and this looks nothing like it. It’s very early 360 arcade where everything looks like it’s covered in vaseline. There’s also WAY too many needless frames of animation for it to mimic claymation. It’s like when old folks turn on that motion filter of TVs.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is Astlibra worth checking out? It shows up under the metroidvania category but I tried the demo and it seems like mostly fighting.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It's not a metroidvania and is mostly fighting

That being said, yes, it's absolutely worth checking out, as the fighting kicks rear end

I mean, the game also looks like the wackiest cobbled-together bullshit, because it is and the author just used random public asset packs and then got the character designer from Vanillaware to draw the actual characters, but it's still rad

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

A sleeper favourite of mine, Vigil: The longest night was delisted from Steam a while back and here's some explanation why:

https://twitter.com/VigilTheGame/status/1689638053571354624

tl;dr Taiwanese devs, and (taiwanese) publisher being afraid of China and self-censoring as a result (on very flimsy grounds as well).

Hopefully they can get the situation solved and back on sale.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Finally completed the last Rain World Downpour campaign, the Saint. Playing through it, my opinion has bounced between the upper half of mid to being genuinely fantastic, with it finally settling at "quite good." New and tougher enemies but now you can't jump or fight? Kind of mid. Spiderman swinging at 100 mph across stages or up walls? Fantastic. Many of the same regions as before But Now With Snow? Kind of mid. Drastically altered regions with decayed hulks of previous landmarks or overgrown with new foliage? Fantastic. 11th hour superpowers? Kind of mid in practice, surprisingly. 11th hour superpower but you're in hell? Fantastic.

Not as good as Gourmand or Rivulet, but better than Spear Master.

On the whole, Downpour is excellent. On top of the new content, the (optional and customizable!) changes to the original mechanics are quite welcome. The new ending to two of the original campaigns does a lot to improve those experiences as well.

The big failing is that Downpour ultimately carries the original game's flaws. Most notably Karma gates, which suck and only spuriously make sense, but also things like the static camera that ensure nothing can ever be as dangerous as an enemy just slightly off screen. It does a lot to improve things, but Rain World remains a game I personally love but have some reservation recommending to others.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 13, 2023

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

Finally completed the last Rain World Downpour campaign, the Saint. Playing through it, my opinion has bounced between the upper half of mid to being genuinely fantastic, with it finally settling at "quite good." New and tougher enemies but now you can't jump or fight? Kind of mid. Spiderman swinging at 100 mph across stages or up walls? Fantastic. Many of the same regions as before But Now With Snow? Kind of mid. Drastically altered regions with decayed hulks of previous landmarks or overgrown with new foliage? Fantastic. 11th hour superpowers? Kind of mid in practice, surprisingly. 11th hour superpower but you're in hell? Fantastic.

Not as good as Gourmand or Rivulet, but better than Spear Master.

On the whole, Downpour is excellent. On top of the new content, the (optional and customizable!) changes to the original mechanics are quite welcome. The new ending to two of the original campaigns does a lot to improve those experiences as well.

The big failing is that Downpour ultimately carries the original game's flaws. Most notably Karma gates, which suck and only spuriously make sense, but also things like the static camera that ensure nothing can ever be as dangerous as an enemy just slightly off screen. It does a lot to improve things, but Rain World remains a game I personally love but have some reservation recommending to others.

sounds like you're already finished (unless you want to suffer through the arena challenges) so I guess this doesn't help you, but there's a mod that adds camera scrolling. it dynamically stitches all the rooms together the first time you enter a region. it works really well aside from some disjointed background art in a handful of places. mostly just on the wall, where things in the background don't always neatly line up between screens.

and karma gate behavior can be changed in the remix menus to stay open after the first time you pass through or just be open all the time

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lets hang out posted:

sounds like you're already finished (unless you want to suffer through the arena challenges) so I guess this doesn't help you, but there's a mod that adds camera scrolling. it dynamically stitches all the rooms together the first time you enter a region. it works really well aside from some disjointed background art in a handful of places. mostly just on the wall, where things in the background don't always neatly line up between screens.

and karma gate behavior can be changed in the remix menus to stay open after the first time you pass through or just be open all the time

I'll definitely give that mod a look. I missed the karma gate menu option because it was labeled "Monk style gates" or something like that, but I had no idea gates worked that way for the Monk. :lol:

Sadly, I still think the karma system is the weakest part of the game, but good on Downpour for at least addressing it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm finally getting through Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Been exploring everywhere I can, got all the way up to Gebel, beat him and got the bad ending, then spent a good hour tying up loose ends/making food and stuff. Finally I sat down with the map and said "It's so weird that these two underwater areas never came up again. And unless I have to grind, there's no way down there unless there's some kind of secret third way d--:stare: wait. Wait. Hold on. No, no, hold on.That can't possibly work..."

It works! drained the whole loving blood fountain with that blood ability! Holy poo poo!

Currently in the desert right now. Game was exactly, solidly "mid" until that moment. I've played all the GBA castlevanias, I'm usually more of a metroid person rather than a Vania person, but that moment sealed the deal on this game in particular. Well, that, and I've replaced my spear with the "explosion goes here" spell which deals 200 damage per cast.

E: I'm guessing there must be some postgame? I'm currently at 81% map completion after touching everything I can find. I just got the katana from whatshisface in the ninja themed area.

Even found out that there was DLC involving the train, so I went to go start it and said "I'll walk far enough in to find a save point and then I'm done for the night", thinking that the map completion factors in DLC, and :effort: oops there's another boss done. Still at 81%.

bawk fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 14, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Okay yall were right about Ender Lilies, I stopped exploring like a madman and took the regular path, killed two more bosses and have been humming along to the music from those two areas for a while now. I think half the reason I'm enjoying it is having more tools to better deals with enemies instead of juuust scraping by, and also the fact that if I die I don't lose anything like how Bloodstained sets you back to the last save point.

It's very funny that right as I was getting sick of not having a block button, the game gave me a block spirit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

time for HANDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-cnb4y44WQ

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Trailer demonstrates the sound design is still poo poo. Incredibly perplexed that every impact sounds consists of wet rags processed through 20 reverb effects.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This looks good as hell, excited to see what evolving the pull into a tether does to the gameplay. Also liked the brief glimpse into 2.5d

Blasphemous 2, Grime 2, how many more sequels can we get before Silksong comes out lol

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I am absolutely down for more GRIME especially since it looks like they’re going in a bit of a different direction with the protagonist design and powers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I think I'm most of the way through F.I.S.T., after having it sitting in my backlog since it was free on EGS late last year (I'm a bit past the part where you get the electric whip/grapple and about to head back to the city), and really enjoying it, tbh. I'm not going to claim it reinvents the wheel for the genre, but the brawler combat is fun, level design is solid enough to make areas feel distinct from one another, and the 2.5D visuals are very pretty.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I really enjoyed FIST. The story is pretty run of the mill but the powers and puzzles were fun. I really like the world the devs created. It was a bit unique for metroidvania games. I liked the combat too, even if there are a few sections where it drags on a little too long.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I got stuck on a platforming sequence late in FIST and never finished it. Still had fun up to that point.

:rolleyes: at "furtizens" though

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barry Convex posted:

I think I'm most of the way through F.I.S.T., after having it sitting in my backlog since it was free on EGS late last year (I'm a bit past the part where you get the electric whip/grapple and about to head back to the city), and really enjoying it, tbh. I'm not going to claim it reinvents the wheel for the genre, but the brawler combat is fun, level design is solid enough to make areas feel distinct from one another, and the 2.5D visuals are very pretty.

I had a lot of fun with FIST. Agreed that it doesn't really reinvent the wheel, but it's great. Good combat, fun abilities, just an all around good time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Lone Fungus 2 has been announced. I really enjoyed the first one.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1674780/view/3693569075471715478?l=english

Store Page
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2463220/Lone_Fungus_2/

Trailer:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256966851/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1693415084

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The developer was responsive to people's comments, so I'm hoping it'll have more of the stuff we all liked and less of the painful challenges and overly large move set.