Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

NPCs act different to you if they can see your dick

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Sentient Data posted:

NPCs act different to you if they can see your dick

Probably why Musk is always complaining about not having enough horses.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0J75PFjgkQ

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sentient Data posted:

NPCs act different to you if they can see you're a dick

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

i suggest picking up the first two and playing through them first, then picking up bg3 goty edition in like 2 or 3 years. that's my plan.

BG2 and BG3 play very differently and are set like a century apart, but I'm not going to disagree with anyone saying you should play Baldur's Gate 2 if you somehow never have

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Baldur's Gate 1 is terrible but Baldur's Gate 2 is a masterpiece but at the same time I wouldn't recommend playing 2 without playing 1 first.

Hey how much does 3 actually connect to 1 and 2?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

credburn posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 is terrible but Baldur's Gate 2 is a masterpiece but at the same time I wouldn't recommend playing 2 without playing 1 first.

Hey how much does 3 actually connect to 1 and 2?

I think I've seen more references to D:OS in my ~15 hours of play. But then I haven't played BG1 and 2 since forever. It is fairly embedded into the general D&D lore, though, I guess. There's also a module that's supposed to connect 2 and 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate:_Descent_into_Avernus

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I haven't played the full release of 3 yet, but the way I understand it the story is completely stand-alone, even though there are a lot of cameos and references to the earlier games. You can jump right in and play.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
you can in fact enjoy any game no matter which number it is in a series, without playing the other games in that series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

you can in fact enjoy any game no matter which number it is in a series, without playing the other games in that series.

i dare you to do this with xenosaga episode 2

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Arivia posted:

Qualify it as "just as much" and it will be correct because I dare you to enjoy it even coming from episode 1.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

Real gamers start with Spacewar! And work their way up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zedprime posted:

Qualify it as "just as much" and it will be correct because I dare you to enjoy it even coming from episode 1.

I enjoyed the entire trilogy at their time of release. Ending 3 on a cliffhanger was a dick move though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. But with BG it's fine because the third game is totally disconnected, not even in the same rule system, and turn based rather than pausable real time.

Also, while the first two are real good, the first is an extremely rough start. A wizard is likely to start out with literally two HP and spell slots. Lots of people get merced by the very first encounter: a lone guy with a knife.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arivia posted:

Eww, anime? Sell your prevert wares elsewhere, pusher man.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. But with BG it's fine because the third game is totally disconnected, not even in the same rule system, and turn based rather than pausable real time.

Also, while the first two are real good, the first is an extremely rough start. A wizard is likely to start out with literally two HP and spell slots. Lots of people get merced by the very first encounter: a lone guy with a knife.

Baldur's Gatekeep someone else buddy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LifeSunDeath posted:

"I can't help notice there's still no turnip-throwing" - guy whose first Mario game was Super Mario Bros. 2 whenever he plays a new one

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lobok posted:

"I can't help notice there's still no turnip-throwing" - guy whose first Mario game was Super Mario Bros. 2 whenever he plays a new one

They have a point, SMB2 (US) is the best one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, there's very little point in playing bg1 other than to see all the dead ends and mistakes of rpg design that were abandoned by all the games coming after it, and for a very good reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lobok posted:

"I can't help but notice I don't die when jumping on an enemy" - an actual Mario aficionado when playing the new ones.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lobok posted:

I say this even when I'm playing non-Mario games

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zedprime posted:

"I can't help but notice I don't die when jumping on an enemy" - an actual Mario aficionado when playing the new ones.

"Sorry, but 'Mario'? Could you be referring to Jumpman? :smuggo:"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If Minsc and Boo aren't available, is it even a Baldur's Gate game?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

If Minsc and Boo aren't available, is it even a Baldur's Gate game?

good news they're in bg3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, there's very little point in playing bg1 other than to see all the dead ends and mistakes of rpg design that were abandoned by all the games coming after it, and for a very good reason.

nah, baldur's gate 1 is one of the two best video games in terms of getting the forgotten realms as a setting (neverwinter nights 2 is the other, although it shows some different stuff), with an excellent plot and a lot of fun challenges. it's got some warts being from 1997 and all but it's still an excellent game.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

"Some warts" is vastly downplaying it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DrBouvenstein posted:

They have a point, SMB2 (US) is the best one.

I was so pissed when the next one that came out went back to the old brick-breaking/palette-swapped-Luigi poo poo

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lobok posted:

"Sorry, but 'Mario'? Could you be referring to Jumpman? :smuggo:"

"Jumpman, isn't that just Radar Scope? :smuggo:"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Data Graham posted:

I was so pissed when the next one that came out went back to the old brick-breaking/palette-swapped-Luigi poo poo

same

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

been hearing this a lot

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

been hearing this a lot

it's the japanese word for "shark"

:same:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HenryEx posted:

it's the japanese word for "shark"

:same:

lol this smilie makes a lot more sense now

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Iirc it was taken from a manga where the main character would constantly wear a shirt with that on it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I’ve only played Xenosaga 4: Eine kleine Nachtmusik.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Did you know that Super Mario Bros. 2 is actually a reskin of a Japanese game called "Doki Doki Panic" as the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was too hard for America?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Wasn't it also because the recent video game crash meant releasing a game that was the same game but with more levels would've destroyed what good will Nintendo had built at that point?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't it also because the recent video game crash meant releasing a game that was the same game but with more levels would've destroyed what good will Nintendo had built at that point?

No, when Mario 2 was out in 1988/1989, there was no game crash (that was 1984). The reason I've always heard is

Kheldarn posted:

the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was too hard for America?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
In Japan the original SMB2 was also branded as a super hard challenge level thing with advertising focused around it, and it was released for the floppy-based Famicom Disk System which meant the game itself was a lot cheaper than a cartridge. Which itself was a compromise for how Nintendo got the Japanese government to ban video game rentals.

In the US where that didn't happen and the FDS was never released, full cartridge price for something that was just more levels for the same game would have reasonably been a harder sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Did Nintendo invent the expansion pack?