Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

darkwasthenight posted:

Robbie Robertson was in The Band, famous for backing Dylan as well as being wildly successful in their own right. Scorcese directed the film of their last show and Robbie went on to work on the soundtrack of a bunch of his films. Robbie was sometimes an rear end in a top hat on twitter and also in real life. The other guy wrote for the Cleveland Show.

That's all the relevant info you need really.
I thought Robbie Robertson was assistant editor of the Daily Bugle and advocate of Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Triarii posted:

I know I shouldn't, but I'm trying to understand what this guy's position even is

"It's bad for artists to make a living off of their work under capitalism, because in an ideal world we wouldn't be living under capitalism" ?

It's actually "don't badmouth AI *10,000 words on why taking other peoples work to feed into my AI engine is also proletariat labor*".

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Both of these burns are great.

Pandaal posted:

Also, they were a great band and the subject of, in my opinion, the best concert documentary ever in The Last Waltz.
Agreed on both points :respek:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Looks like the Pope finally won.

https://twitter.com/AlisonMaryORE/status/1688894324128325632

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Hippocrass posted:

Looks like the Pope finally won.

i want to be annoyed at you for this but the idea the papacy being a sort of immortal spirit passed from human to human is kind of funny and not that far off from what they believe

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/AbbyHiggs/status/1689328920166825984

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Alec "If you wanna feel better about this earthquake in Japan, google “Pearl Harbor death toll”" Sulkin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Read After Burning posted:

Not just the Cleveland Show; also that garbage-rear end Ted movie.

Honestly more objectionable than writing for the cleveland show

DrankSinatra posted:

"Cognition Engineer," what a loving dildo.

Aren't these like PUA adjacents where if you say a series of magic words you magically get sex

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 10:54 on Aug 10, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Maybe it's "cognition engineer" in the sense of "over-designed, completely impractical in the real world, and not actually what users want or need"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Not the first engineer I’ve seen that doesn’t actually use the final product

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hippocrass posted:

Ok, fine. Nevermind first. Whose on second?

Yes.

Yes is playing second?

What? No!

Nevermind.

No, Nirvana couldn't be at the show.

Bollocks!

Nevermind the bollocks, it's the Sex Pistols!

Live on stage?

No, Live is on the other stage.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wash bucket posted:

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1688943095482900480

Seriously. I just want the stress to go away (plus a nice gaming PC).

My dad sold his parents house for millions of dollars and went from spending his days reading The Economist while drinking red wine out of little glasses to reading The Economist while drinking slightly nicer red wine out of little glasses, it was weirdly inspiring

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Milo and POTUS posted:

Honestly more objectionable than writing for the cleveland show

Aren't these like PUA adjacents where if you say a series of magic words you magically get sex

It means they write prompts for AI.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sebmojo posted:

My dad sold his parents house for millions of dollars and went from spending his days reading The Economist while drinking red wine out of little glasses to reading The Economist while drinking slightly nicer red wine out of little glasses, it was weirdly inspiring

If I got lots of money I wouldn't buy a fancy sports car, I would just upgrade to a nicer sedan (I'm pretending to be humble to paper over how I just can't drive stick)

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Every time I've tried a brand new car it's felt like a downgrade from my 20 year old shitbox so I'd just ask a mechanic to fix everything worn on said shitbox.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Horace posted:

Every time I've tried a brand new car it's felt like a downgrade from my 20 year old shitbox so I'd just ask a mechanic to fix everything worn on said shitbox.

Word. I'd maybe keep an eye out online for some crazy low-mile, garaged 2001 Cavalier, but also take mine in and say "fix everything you can, guys!" and then tip the shop handsomely.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Tired: buying a new car with your newfound millions of dollars;
Wired: paying someone else with your newfound millions of dollars to drive you around. :colbert:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Word. I'd maybe keep an eye out online for some crazy low-mile, garaged 2001 Cavalier, but also take mine in and say "fix everything you can, guys!" and then tip the shop handsomely.
There were some instant classics in this period despite the era being the worst of bubbley designs and the onset of fun ideas like cram it all in the engine bay and let the mechanics figure it out or what if we ruin the car to get an extra 3 mpg. But there's no accounting for taste cause a Cavalier????

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wonder what it would cost to get Toyota to make a LHD Century

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Horace posted:

last generation volvo’s are like this. nice enough to keep around. but not so nice that it tip toes into expensive luxury car manufacturer level of repairs.

currently driving a 15 year old volvo and loving it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

There were some instant classics in this period despite the era being the worst of bubbley designs and the onset of fun ideas like cram it all in the engine bay and let the mechanics figure it out or what if we ruin the car to get an extra 3 mpg. But there's no accounting for taste cause a Cavalier????

The Cavalier was legit! I will forever be spoiled by those huge windows and tiny pillars, the driver's view was incredible. Feels like I'm driving ~nothing at all~

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Horace posted:

:thunk:

OK, I'll bite: what is your 20 year old shitbox and which new cars did you compare it to?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Trabant posted:

OK, I'll bite: what is your 20 year old shitbox and which new cars did you compare it to?

Yeah, seconding this. I think there hasn't been a good-looking car made in 30 years and I still can't argue that the new ones are much nicer to drive in and have a lot more amenities. I'm not going back to my 1989 Pontiac LeMans, no matter how tough it is to work on the engine of a new car.

Note: the Pontiac LeMans was not one of the good-looking cars of the past, just to clarify

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watching the X-files you will really start to question wtf we were doing with cars in the 90s.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Could always get a hot hatch, they’re econoboxes that are fun to drive. By nature of sharing the economy platform they skip all kinds of techno-bullshit.

This may not apply to VWs though, as if that needed to be said

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/xiaomrrp/status/1689399539642597380

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think you're thinking of neurolinguistic programming.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

As someone that has spent some time in rehab, something like this would be a lifesaver. Having a connection to “the outside” really makes a difference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I expect the anime fanfic writer will also be in jail soon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pandaal posted:

I don’t often get to actually know anything, so I’m compelled to add that Robbie Robertson was *not* the lead member of the Band despite apparently thinking so often enough for it to be a huge point of contention for the group.

Also, they were a great band and the subject of, in my opinion, the best concert documentary ever in The Last Waltz.
Meanwhile, the rest of the Band were irritated that Scorsese focused so heavily on Robertson, including cutting that emphasized his singing. In practice, Robertson's mic was off during most of the show (as it usually was, because he wasn't a singer.)

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-last-waltz-why-you-dont-hear-robbie-robertsons-vocals-in-scorseses-film-about-the-band.html/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

the holy poopacy posted:

The Cavalier was legit! I will forever be spoiled by those huge windows and tiny pillars, the driver's view was incredible. Feels like I'm driving ~nothing at all~

Preach, cuz!

I've had Pilar (my 01 Cav) since 2003. We've been through a lot together these past 20 years, and she's always been there for me.

Will saying I'd also be shopping for a 89 Probe help? That was Pilar's predecessor, and I miss her.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lobok posted:

I expect the anime fanfic writer will also be in jail soon.

Speaking as someone who once wrote fanfic, we all deserve jail time :colbert:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Could always get a hot hatch, they’re econoboxes that are fun to drive. By nature of sharing the economy platform they skip all kinds of techno-bullshit.

This may not apply to VWs though, as if that needed to be said

True, I get that the driving experience can be better on something more analog. And I agree that stupid tech makes it impossible to repair some things on your own.

But that's not even what the OP said. Virtually everything else -- safety, gas mileage, acceleration, materials, comfort -- is better in a typical new car today vs a shitbox from 20 years ago. Late 90s and early 00s were a rough time for cars, so calling modern cars a downgrade is... I guess it's not impossible, but it is hard to believe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Right, but if you pretend that all new cars actually suck, you feel less pressure to get rid of your beater with 240k on the odometer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My old car hasn't tried to swerve me into oncoming traffic because it thought it could read the road markings better than I could. New cars have done that to me.

Visibility's also pretty crap with the horrible squat windows and massive A posts so while I might survive a crash I'm more likely to get into one cos I can't loving see.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

As someone that has spent some time in rehab, something like this would be a lifesaver. Having a connection to “the outside” really makes a difference.

Yeah, what the hell else is she supposed to do all day? Although supposedly it's getting harder and harder and more expensive to actually send mail to jail, and I'm guessing she doesn't have great access to email or other internet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MissyElliott/status/1689722537582735361

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can you just email fanfic to a prison in general? Like nobody in particular, "To Whom it May Concern." And if anybody likes your Jiren-Toppo ships they can write back and be your beta reader slash (pun intended) copy editor slash (pun intended) penpal?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

zoux posted:

Right, but if you pretend that all new cars actually suck, you feel less pressure to get rid of your beater with 240k on the odometer

The build quality and fuel economy is for sure loads better nowadays, but I feel like most vehicles produced in the last decade or so have much worse visibility (tiny windshields and massive pillars), overengineered electronics (please stop putting touch screens in cars), tons of proprietary parts that make personal maintenance way harder than it has to be (and also makes repairs way more expensive than they need to be), and they all for some reason come equipped with headlights that are so goddamn bright they leave a smoldering impression of my loving corneas on my headrest.

They also just keep getting bigger and more unwieldy, which probably accounts for the upticks in pedestrian deaths over the last decade or two. I just spent two months looking for a sensible compact car for my gangly 6'4" self and I was blown away by how little interior space a lot of new offerings have (especially when most of them have larger bases than previous generations). I used to fit in a Honda Civic, but I guess they revamped it for a smaller demographic or something. My head literally hit the roof. I ended up in a 2008 Impreza hatchback and it's goddamn perfect.

Modal Auxiliary has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Trabant posted:

My beloved shitbox is a Peugeot 106. It cost me £600. Massive fun to drive. It does 60mpg on the cheap petrol, and its emissions are low enough I can drive it in the London Ultra Low Emission Zone. All I've done to it is service it and change the cambelt. I put a new radio in it so it has bluetooth etc.

I'm comparing it to the VW ID3, the Peugeot 308, the Audi A3 and Toyota Auris. While I could afford it, I would be paying a lot of money for a car which isn't more fun to drive, in most cases not more economic (ID3 excepted, probably), is not more comfortable (why do they all have such firm seats?) has worse visibility, and every basic feature is harder to use thanks to the terrible touchscreen every new car is burdened with.