Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
People have stolen copies of legit books and sold them under a different name or seller, so those sales go to the wrong people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
just swipe the isbn from amazon and :filez: is the most ethical course of action at this point.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tetramin posted:

What does this mean, people sell books with different content, or they print their own lovely copies or what?

https://nypost.com/2022/07/31/pirated-books-thrive-on-amazon-authors-say-web-giant-ignores-fraud/amp/

I know it’s the NY Post but there’s good pictures in this one. See also: https://twitter.com/fchollet/status/1550930876183166976

Suspect A posted:

just swipe the isbn from amazon and :filez: is the most ethical course of action at this point.

This is the way

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Lol that amazon can't do the sole thing they were created to do. I knew Amazon was getting bad but this is just inexcusable. Anyone have any alternative online storefronts for textbooks?

Suspect A fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 10, 2023

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Suspect A posted:

Lol that amazon can't do the sole thing they were created to do. I knew Amazon was getting bad but this is just inexcusable. Anyone have any alternative online storefronts for textbooks?

Alternatives have already been mentioned itt

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Passed AZ-104 this morning :toot:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Weaponized Autism posted:

Passed AZ-104 this morning :toot:

Congrats!!

What did you use to prep, and how did the exam compare to the prep?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats!!

What did you use to prep, and how did the exam compare to the prep?

Thanks!

Prep consisted of:

1. The Microsoft Learn modules which were very helpful: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/certifications/exams/az-104/
2. John Savill's AZ-104 crash course video - not too helpful but he does a good job at least going over what is covered on the exam
3. Exam dumps, exam dumps, exam dumps. Especially the ones found on ExamTopics: https://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/az-104/

The exam was recently updated and it included a lot more questions about Log Analytics than I expected. The exam dumps are incredibly helpful and it helps you get used to the style and the format of how the questions are presented to you on the exam. The deeper you go into the world of Azure and Azure exams, do spend more time in labs and actually clicking around, reading material alone won't help you IMO. I'd say overall the way I studied, I felt about 70-80% confident about taking the exam and I passed with a 760 score (required to pass 700). I feel like if I spent more time on reading material and practical lab work (clicking around in the Azure portal, using Azure Storage Explorer, playing with RBAC permissions, etc.) I would have scored much higher.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 19, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thanks!

Prep consisted of:

1. The Microsoft Learn modules which were very helpful: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/certifications/exams/az-104/
2. John Savill's AZ-104 crash course video - not too helpful but he does a good job at least going over what is covered on the exam
3. Exam dumps, exam dumps, exam dumps. Especially the ones found on ExamTopics: https://www.examtopics.com/exams/microsoft/az-104/

The exam was recently updated and it included a lot more questions about Log Analytics than I expected. The exam dumps are incredibly helpful and it helps you get used to the style and the format of how the questions are presented to you on the exam. The deeper you go into the world of Azure and Azure exams, do spend more time in labs and actually clicking around, reading material alone won't help you IMO. I'd say overall the way I studied, I felt about 70-80% confident about taking the exam and I passed with a 760 score (required to pass 700). I feel like if I spent more time on reading material and practical lab work (clicking around in the Azure portal, using Azure Storage Explorer, playing with RBAC permissions, etc.) I would have scored much higher.

Congrats on your pass! I'm doing it in 18 days.

What helped me feel more confident is having an actual task to do in Azure rather than even a lab (which I'm still doing). I got all my data from Spotify thanks to GDPR and that gave me some csvs, which I tried to import into Azure SQL, which required I set up a SQL server and configure access, and then to import the data I had to use Azure Data Factory which required I set up a vnet and private endpoint, and then I had to alter the csvs so that Data Factory would accept it. This took like 2 weeks of troubleshooting and googling error messages. SQL and Data Factory aren't on the test, but it made me have to really dig around in the platform to make this happen and cause things to break which meant I had to fix it, which is primarily the way I learn things.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Congrats on your pass! I'm doing it in 18 days.

What helped me feel more confident is having an actual task to do in Azure rather than even a lab (which I'm still doing). I got all my data from Spotify thanks to GDPR and that gave me some csvs, which I tried to import into Azure SQL, which required I set up a SQL server and configure access, and then to import the data I had to use Azure Data Factory which required I set up a vnet and private endpoint, and then I had to alter the csvs so that Data Factory would accept it. This took like 2 weeks of troubleshooting and googling error messages. SQL and Data Factory aren't on the test, but it made me have to really dig around in the platform to make this happen and cause things to break which meant I had to fix it, which is primarily the way I learn things.

Everything i'm reading for the AZ (minus BD) is are you also able to segment that SQL instance into a vnet and: configure the NSG, setup the firewall services, and a S2E VPN connection. What you did is a lot of devops for the cloud admin tier, which is amazing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My employer is offering PMP classes, which I took them up on.

I'm reading through the requirements to take the exam, and I need 36 months of project management experience... I've been desktop support my entire career.

So I can't advance my career with education, because I haven't yet advanced in my career. Can't do any management because I am not already management.

There's a lesser certification called the CAPM, but I really don't feel like doing an entire class just to get a bullshit cert nobody cares about. I feel like just walking away from this whole thing.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

skooma512 posted:

I'm reading through the requirements to take the exam, and I need 36 months of project management experience... I've been desktop support my entire career.

So I can't advance my career with education, because I haven't yet advanced in my career. Can't do any management because I am not already management.

There's a lesser certification called the CAPM, but I really don't feel like doing an entire class just to get a bullshit cert nobody cares about. I feel like just walking away from this whole thing.

just lie to the PMP people, get the cert, get paid.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wargames posted:

just lie to the PMP people, get the cert, get paid.

pmp is all about lying anyways

its the first test

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

skooma512 posted:

This is actually not true and is one of the most common misconceptions about the PMP (because it is incredibly stupid, like everything else about the PMP, and project management, and project managers). You do not need 36 months of project management experience. You need 36 months of experience working on projects. What constitutes a project is extremely loosely defined and you can make a case for almost anything.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

guppy posted:

This is actually not true and is one of the most common misconceptions about the PMP (because it is incredibly stupid, like everything else about the PMP, and project management, and project managers). You do not need 36 months of project management experience. You need 36 months of experience working on projects. What constitutes a project is extremely loosely defined and you can make a case for almost anything.

desktop support ticketing system is one big project improving the end user experience.

you now have a life of project experience

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That probably won't fly, you will need to break it up into a project to upgrade the desktops of a 600-user userbase or whatever, stuff like that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Robert half is a good one. Just put in sys admin or network admin, your location and On-Site/hybrid/remote, and contract in LinkedIn. Should give you some leads.

Is Robert Half the one that calls your current employer to say "So and so is out looking for a new job. It looks like you're going to need to backfill that position - you want someone?"

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KillHour posted:

Is Robert Half the one that calls your current employer to say "So and so is out looking for a new job. It looks like you're going to need to backfill that position - you want someone?"

wouldn't be surprised.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

KillHour posted:

I didn’t want to say this since I wasn’t 100% sure, but that’s what I remembered from the IT worker thread.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
All those agencies are scummy in one way or another but if you are unemployed or looking to get your feet wet in IT, they tend to be the fastest way.

I would never leave a full time position in IT for one of those companies.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KillHour posted:

Hadn't heard that, but lol sounds right for any staffing co.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Went to take the azure DP-203 today only to find out my license expired a few days ago during the check in process. So now I have to wait 2 weeks to get my new card and pay for the drat test again.

:doh:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Went to take the azure DP-203 today only to find out my license expired a few days ago during the check in process. So now I have to wait 2 weeks to get my new card and pay for the drat test again.

:doh:

That sucks big time. Take solace in the fact that you’re not alone. It happened to me once early in my career and my boss was incredibly angry about it. It expired like 1-3 days before my exam I think.

Hope yours is more forgiving about it!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

LochNessMonster posted:

That sucks big time. Take solace in the fact that you’re not alone. It happened to me once early in my career and my boss was incredibly angry about it. It expired like 1-3 days before my exam I think.

Hope yours is more forgiving about it!

Work is understandable about it. They comped the cost and are willing to again.

I'm just upset because I've been cramming all week and was ready to go. Now I have to maintain that level of readiness for a couple weeks which means an hour or more of studying daily to keep it fresh.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

That's such bullshit a recently expired license is DQ. What could possibly have changed that would make the information on the license invalid?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

KillHour posted:

Lol that is loving scummy. I had a convo with them on my most recent search and they requested my current managers contact info and wouldn’t progress without it. I never followed up with them because it just seemed weird. Most company systems have automated verification lines, nobody should need to speak with your actual boss.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Contingency posted:

Sign up for the CE program. Sign up for Cisco U, get 16 credits for passing the free DEVNAE course. Submit a claim for the 16 CEUs. Keep an eye on the impending Rev Up release:
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D56e0000D87GSvCQM/rev-up-to-recert-new-round-coming-soon

For associate level (CCNA) you need 30 credits to recertify. As long as this upcoming rev up challenge is at least 14, you'll have it.

Quoting this again because this was by far the most painless recertification process I've ever done and now I have three more years of letters. Thank you for that.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Thanks!

Prep consisted of:

Congrats dude but PLEASE either delete or censor that last Prep tip:unsmith:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ok so i'm not crazy and we didn't normalized that step in the last few hundo pages.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just don't talk about dumps. They're out there, people use them, we just don't talk about them.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah those seem to defeat the purpose, or at least part of it.

In my mind, these technical certs are kind of a study blueprint, not just a thing to slap on your resume.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KillHour posted:

They do but honestly it's still another big IT Firm with tens of thousands of employees. It unfortunately comes with the territory of big business. If you are just trying to break into the industry, it's fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Congrats dude but PLEASE either delete or censor that last Prep tip:unsmith:

skipdogg posted:

Just don't talk about dumps. They're out there, people use them, we just don't talk about them.

Can we though?

First, not all but too many IT Exams are freaking awful so bad it should nearly be illegal. I've been in IT for over a decade and I should not be reading exam questions that are poorly written, terrible grammer or things where it's asking me what's the maximum size of a SharePoint Site Colllection? :downs: The gently caress? I have no idea off the top of my dead, why in the goddamn hell would anyone memorize that? Anyway, it was 250GB but that literally wasn't option the exam! I had to use the WayBackMachine on O365 Documentation to find the right answer

As for test dumps, I literally don't give a gently caress anymore. You'll suss that out in an interview. Dumps are one thing but what's another is when companies release training content that's terrible, doesn't actually help employers/workers and easily dumped.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

yeah tbh I think dumps should be discouraged heavily because it's not how you should learn any material, but as a last minute review tool I don't see any reason not to. what's important, like the person above me said, is the concepts, not tiny details relevant to to a fraction of a niche of a product.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't use them and never have, and I don't think most people do. More importantly, if you are caught admitting that you use them, vendors will revoke your certifications and even prevent you from taking any future ones.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

VMware can take my VCP5-DCV from my cold dead hands

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Tetramin posted:

Yeah those seem to defeat the purpose, or at least part of it.

In my mind, these technical certs are kind of a study blueprint, not just a thing to slap on your resume.

In this job market it's both.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

guppy posted:

I don't use them and never have, and I don't think most people do. More importantly, if you are caught admitting that you use them, vendors will revoke your certifications and even prevent you from taking any future ones.

Never used exam dumps, how are those different from test exs like tutorial dojos offer?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I find Microsoft learn courses and practice tests are usually good enough to pass their exams. Can't say the same for other companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

LochNessMonster posted:

Never used exam dumps, how are those different from test exs like tutorial dojos offer?

They are literally questions from real exams.