Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Fox will appear in court in blackface as an attempt to prove that his lived identity is 'trans racial' or whether he will appear as he is and wriggle around about that he was taking the piss out of Black people but in a 'not racist' way.

Or just turn up hosed on cocaine and alcohol and get done for contempt.

e: 213 was Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment number, also a terrible person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

So something has to give: either we just give up on evaluating students' work altogether or we force the growing numbers of students with anxiety, ADHD, and similar conditions to participate in activities that make them uncomfortable.
Going back a bit but just so you know, we're not 'uncomfortable;' our functioning in those environments is literally impaired. You are not getting an accurate measure of our abilities, so any result from that kind of situation is going to be fundamemtally useless and discriminatory.

Pass that on if you like, because the well-meaning people making these decisions don't seem to otherwise be consulting with anyone familiar with neurodivergence, and they may find themselves slapped with liability when the first round of failures start happening.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Here's a weird question that I can't seem to find an answer to no matter who I talk to - why is Manchester's Pride always scheduled for August? Feels a little odd for it to be in June for the rest of the world but two months later in some areas.

I assumed it was related to an LGBT rights related event specific to the city at some point but I can't find any evidence of this. The reason most places celebrate it in June is because of the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots at the end of the month.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's a bank holiday weekend and it gets well out of the shadow of That There London. Same reason Birmingham went the other way and have theirs round the Spring bank holiday.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Skull Servant posted:

Here's a weird question that I can't seem to find an answer to no matter who I talk to - why is Manchester's Pride always scheduled for August? Feels a little odd for it to be in June for the rest of the world but two months later in some areas.

I assumed it was related to an LGBT rights related event specific to the city at some point but I can't find any evidence of this. The reason most places celebrate it in June is because of the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots at the end of the month.

belfast's is always in august too but the reason for that is pretty obvious

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
First Manchester Pride was on the August bank holiday, organized by Canal Street residents who've had an informal history of bank holiday parties since before anyone threw a brick at Stonewall, although it was only made an official event in the 80s.

That's usually the case with those kind of differences, like why is Black History Month February in the US and October in the UK? February from the birth and death month of Frederick Douglass, October on paper from Ghanaian harvest traditions (but practically because it was seen as a good time early in the school year).

I assume racists would have liked to put that one during the summer holidays.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Another story that keeps getting better lol

https://twitter.com/ollysmithtravel/status/1689668981949403136?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Work\AT Contracting\Carly\Crimes\My Crimes\Digger Rental.doc
Work\AT Contracting\Carly\Crimes\My Crimes\Steve the Arsonist Receipt.pdf

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Going back a bit but just so you know, we're not 'uncomfortable;' our functioning in those environments is literally impaired. You are not getting an accurate measure of our abilities, so any result from that kind of situation is going to be fundamemtally useless and discriminatory.

Pass that on if you like, because the well-meaning people making these decisions don't seem to otherwise be consulting with anyone familiar with neurodivergence, and they may find themselves slapped with liability when the first round of failures start happening.

anyone with a disability is entitled to reasonable adjustments, but I am not sure a judgement on "reasonable adjustment" will extend to skipping out on assessments altogether

consider exam access arrangements in schools - there are lots of additional arrangements that can be made but I don't think anyone just gets to do an entirely different format in place of the written/listening/oral exams. generally the adjustment would be "do a different course with different assessment criteria" e.g. a qualification with a larger coursework element. but those are offered on a as-is basis, with I think the expectation that you need to choose the course that's right for you including exam/seminar/presentation/coursework content

this is entirely separate from the question of what kind of assessment works best for your particular course, or larger questions about the purpose of (higher) education and qualifications in general

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lt. Danger posted:

anyone with a disability is entitled to reasonable adjustments, but I am not sure a judgement on "reasonable adjustment" will extend to skipping out on assessments altogether

consider exam access arrangements in schools - there are lots of additional arrangements that can be made but I don't think anyone just gets to do an entirely different format in place of the written/listening/oral exams. generally the adjustment would be "do a different course with different assessment criteria" e.g. a qualification with a larger coursework element. but those are offered on a as-is basis, with I think the expectation that you need to choose the course that's right for you including exam/seminar/presentation/coursework content

this is entirely separate from the question of what kind of assessment works best for your particular course, or larger questions about the purpose of (higher) education and qualifications in general

Indeed. Reasonable adjustments at my secondary school are things like...
Larger font size
Different coloured paper
25% extra time
Rest breaks
Computer reader
Word processor access (WordPad for us as you can't have spell check)
A human reader
A smaller room (basically the 5-20 people eligible for this go to eg a computer room other than that one with a human reader)

The same exam is still done. I don't know how it works for eg GCSE PE.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 10, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I hope these two end up in prison and forced to spend all their ill gotten gains rebuilding the pub

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

Accepted, but my point being that using the word 'uncomfortable' is profoundly misunderstanding the situation at hand here.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Accepted, but my point being that using the word 'uncomfortable' is profoundly misunderstanding the situation at hand here.

Are you talking about the people with anxiety, ADHD or other similar conditions?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

sure but bluntly I don't think the students in this particular example are doing themselves any favours by asking to just not do assessments, instead of asking for access arrangements

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are you talking about the people with anxiety, ADHD or other similar conditions?
I'm talking from personal experience of autism, but I can see all 3. People with anxiety don't get to choose what they're anxious about, that's kind of an important definition of the condition.

Lt. Danger posted:

sure but bluntly I don't think the students in this particular example are doing themselves any favours by asking to just not do assessments, instead of asking for access arrangements
It's now my understanding having re-read the original post and follow up that the students aren't 'asking not to,' guidance and directives are being handed down from higher authorities about what certain students should be allowed to avoid.

The correct response in that situation is to listen to the disability / accessibility guidance, not go "yeah but I don't want to," which is what it kind of sounds like Panzer and the people directly above them are trying to do.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

crispix posted:

belfast's is always in august too but the reason for that is pretty obvious

Trin Tragula posted:

It's a bank holiday weekend and it gets well out of the shadow of That There London. Same reason Birmingham went the other way and have theirs round the Spring bank holiday.

Thank you both!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Generally speaking, I understand the motivation to help people with mental health difficulties by exposing them to stressors so they learn to cope with it, but (and nobody in this thread is doing it to be clear) the loudest people always seem to want to dunk someone with arachnophobia in spider tank.

If someone is motivated to try and work towards coping better (and it is work!) it may require a lot of time off school or work, and clinical supervision which these institutions can't really provide. I don't have any good answers but the time and cost limitations of conventional education, especially at the higher level, don't help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the gay agenda, soon all months will be pride month.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's now my understanding having re-read the original post and follow up that the students aren't 'asking not to,' guidance and directives are being handed down from higher authorities about what certain students should be allowed to avoid.

The correct response in that situation is to listen to the disability / accessibility guidance, not go "yeah but I don't want to," which is what it kind of sounds like Panzer and the people directly above them are trying to do.

Yeah, I think the 'best' solutions are either:
A) have a range of options available to students for demonstrating their learning and allow them to choose which one(s) they are happy with; or
B) just have the one set option, but allow students to discuss any specific adjustments they feel they would need to complete it

Presumably, the university/college also have an Academic Support unit, who could work with students and identify adjustments to learning tasks that your team could take into account.

I'm not a lecturer but I take students on placement and if they tell me "I'm going to need extra time to do admin tasks" then I make sure they have extra time for admin tasks. There's the whole "yeah, but what about when they need to get a job" argument, but if an employer can't make reasonable adjustments to account for neurodiversity, they're probably not a great employer to work for in the first place.
Also, they're paying £10k a year; I figure that gives them some say in the process

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 10, 2023

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jedit posted:

My stepdad used to say that you could never trust someone who drives wearing a hat. My mother has said that while she thought he was wrong about people most of the time, in over 40 years since she's never seen anything to contradict him on that.

He might have been onto something.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just over 20 years ago when I was doing my phud, one of my jobs was to invigilate 'special needs' exams for the undergrads.

I think our place of learning was a bit more advanced than some others on this score.

For example:

A guy with extensive limb issues (his hands came almost straight out of his shoulders) was allowed an amanuensis to do the writing for him (plus extra time) - I can't imagine having to carry the info in your head and remember what you got someone else to write!

People with extreme anxiety were allowed to sit in a room on their own and have timed exams. Eg if the exam was 2 hours, they had a total of 2 hours to do the exam but on a stop watch so if they had a panic attack part way through the timer was stopped while they took whatever time they needed to come out of the panic attack (IIRC they were allowed a total extra time of another 2 hours to complete the exam).

Those with dyslexia were allowed an extra 10-15 minutes per hour of exam time depending on the severity to complete their exams.

There were people with mobility issues who also needed to be on a timer as they may need to do exercises part-way through.

And again, when I was a first year undergrad 45 years ago (!!!) there was a girl in my group who had a major panic attack part way through the first exam, stamped out of the gym in floods of tears and slammed the door behind her. She never had to sit another exam, but instead her work was assessed by the lecturers. However, she was not able to receive a classified degree and was awarded an 'aegrotat* degree' instead.

This was a rather different experience to a friend of mine at a different university who had various spinal issues (now has multiple sclerosis, tumours on her spine etc) that made sitting for more than an hour or two a day very painful. She asked the university if she could have a desk at the back of the exam hall and various chairs, cushions etc so she could shift position as necessary without disturbing anyone else and they said No.

* An aegrotat award is an award, without classification, that may be made if a candidate is prevented from completing their studies and/or assessments by illness, death, or other cause accepted by the Senate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Microplastics posted:

My least favourite use of the horn is "I've just seen someone I recognise"

SHUT THE gently caress UP

what bout if you see someone driving a car that is same manufacturer, model and colour as your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :aaa:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

xtothez posted:

He might have been onto something.

So Boris Johnson was driving the digger used to demolish the wonky pub?
How deep does this conspiracy go?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
or if you pass a newly weds big day pretty princess bride wedding cortege!!!!!!!! :holy:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
a few months ago a couple went past work up the road to the town's castle in a big horse-drawn glass bauble - the horses and trailing limos were white and everything else was pink, it was a surreal little moment waiting to cross the road

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Lean on the horn to spook the horses

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

* An aegrotat award is an award, without classification, that may be made if a candidate is prevented from completing their studies and/or assessments by illness, death, or other cause accepted by the Senate.

Pretty sure that's also in the monster manual :v:

crispix posted:

a few months ago a couple went past work up the road to the town's castle in a big horse-drawn glass bauble - the horses and trailing limos were white and everything else was pink, it was a surreal little moment waiting to cross the road

I think I've seen one of those too, and had a similar reaction.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 10, 2023

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/10/rnli-lifeboats-called-to-incident-in-channel

Not a boat. Checkmate, Tories

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

DreddyMatt posted:

i wasn't in a car at the time, op - that much ought clear if you read my post - so this is rather suggesting something quite lewd

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty sure that's also in the monster manual :v:
Legendary Action: amanuensis

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DreddyMatt posted:

Don't do that, you loving wanker.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DreddyMatt posted:

Stress can be fatal to horses, well it can be fatal to any mammal I suppose, but especially one evolved entirely for running away from things, like horses or rabbits.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Angrymog posted:

Don't do that, you loving wanker.

Calm down chief, I won't ruin your wedding

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Probably because back then if you went out in public and stood outside a traditional barber's shop shouting "that's a brothel! amongst our homes!" they'd put you on thorazine Margaret.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tbf there probably would be a market for getting a very good shave while being noshed off by a fella with an equally impeccable shave.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Perhaps they've confused Turkish Barbers and 'Turkish Baths'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I wonder what makes people "filthy unlicensed street food vendors" because the best fried brekkie you'll get comes out of a knackered trailer parked up in an industrial estate.

(I can probably guess what the difference between that and what she's complaining about is)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i suspect margaret there might be making a lot of assumptions based on the hue of the vendors

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Tbf there probably would be a market for getting a very good shave while being noshed off by a fella with an equally impeccable shave.

Seems incredibly dangerous. Gotta remain perfectly still getting sucked while someone holds a straight razor to your throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also I wonder what makes people "filthy unlicensed street food vendors" because the best fried brekkie you'll get comes out of a knackered trailer parked up in an industrial estate.

(I can probably guess what the difference between that and what she's complaining about is)
I think some of it is definitely racism and xenophobia, and the rest is a generalized fear of the city (that 'village' is the main road in Waterlooville, 65,000 people).

It's like when people romanticize the Victorian Era as when everyone was polite and then you read any literature about 'the city' from that era of mass urbanization and the more lurid stuff is all "the barber what murdered his customers and mugged them" and "the pieman that put cats in" and even the less sensationalist stuff is complaining about pimps and surly porters.