Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mystes posted:

if remastered isn't just supposed to be a term for a remake what exactly is it supposed to mean in this context? the original assets with just the engine replaced?
yeah it's an upgrade for modern systems/consoles that packages all the content together with a little bit of spit shine and a brand new expansion, the same as quake 1. with Q1 remaster they upgraded the character models without them looking anachronistic, probably the same deal here, and the lighting's been improved (not the RTX lighting of that prototype though), 4k support, Steam Deck compatible, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

repiv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxH61UshHk

free update on steam if you already owned quake 2

Wow, Quake 2 with muzzle flash, makes a world of difference. Quake 2 is...missable but I am kinda interested in that expansion, since Machine Games' best work was that Q1 episode they did.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mystes posted:

if they're going to remaster quake II shouldn't they at least try to make it look better than quake III?

Don't think there has been a 'remaster' that totally changes the engine to something else.
Would be loving amazing if they made GTA3/Vice City in the GTA4 or 5 engines.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Phigs posted:

I especially have this habit of wanting to buy multiple things when I buy one thing.

glad I'm not the only one lol

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I finally started Lunacid after having it on my wishlist for ages. I'm gonna pump dexterity so much I can make the jump on those broken stairs in the beginning for sure. Although it took me a while to remember to actually raise some stats, since I missed that option on the crystal and first time leveled up when I was level 17 or something, oops.

Only thing that bugs me is the text looks a little garbled, especially with some filters, but with the default option as well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just happened to play that RTX remake of Quake 2. The lighting was pretty drat awesome, and it still played close enough to a modern game. Feeling like I'm not missing anything here.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Bit the bullet and got Remnant 2 after playing a bit of 1. Gotta see how it runs now but the install size was 69.69gb according to Steam so we're off to a nice start.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
I thought the Quake 2 remaster was called Quake 4.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ymgve posted:

If you liked Pyst (or at least the idea of Pyst) you should play The Looker

I have an unfortunately strong memory of briefly looking at a boxed copy of Pyst in an Electronics Boutique once

should I play The Looker

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

should I play The Looker

It is a free game, so there is nothing to lose in trying it out

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The Looker is a parody of The Witness, so it helps if you are familiar with that amazing first person puzzle game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

teethgrinder posted:

I just happened to play that RTX remake of Quake 2. The lighting was pretty drat awesome, and it still played close enough to a modern game. Feeling like I'm not missing anything here.
You need to already own Quake 2 to play the RTX one (the full version anyway), which would mean you already have the remaster, since it just replaced the existing game on Steam in your library.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

repiv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxH61UshHk

free update on steam if you already owned quake 2

Quake 2 was the first game we tried after getting a fancy new 3d accelerated video card back in the day.

This just reminded me of seeing the pistol shoot and being so in awe of how smooth the lighting was that followed the projectile. :3:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Guess I'm replaying Quake II

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Action Quake II remaster when

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Eediot Jedi posted:

Quake 2 was the first game we tried after getting a fancy new 3d accelerated video card back in the day.

This just reminded me of seeing the pistol shoot and being so in awe of how smooth the lighting was that followed the projectile. :3:

I used to Play Quake 2 on an Intergraph TD30 workstation running Windows NT 4.0 and dual Voodoo2's. It was loving awesome.

Way back in 1998, I was playing Three Wave CTF and my oldest would sit on my lap and watch me play. Once in a while she would grab the mouse and move it around. We actually won a CTF round with my daughter moving the mouse around and me running to the flag capture point. narrowly dodging railgun blasts. I let the losing team know that they had been all been beaten by a two year old girl. The subsequent meltdown text responses were glorious to behold and I will forever treasure the fact that my oldest and I used to play Quake 2 together.

As someone who owns an original boxed copy of Quake 2, also being able to play the latest version on the Steamdeck is very,very cool.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 10, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

tango alpha delta posted:

I used to Play Quake 2 on an Intergraph TD30 workstation running Windows NT 4.0 and dual Voodoo2's. It was loving awesome.

I don't know what it is about those old games but some poo poo just never got better. Almost 30 years later and ive never heard a game with the remarkable spacial sound that Thief had.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't know what it is about those old games but some poo poo just never got better. Almost 30 years later and ive never heard a game with the remarkable spacial sound that Thief had.

gently caress yeah. Thief Gold, The Metal Age and System Shock 2, basically all Dark Engine games, have this ambience that is completely unmatched even today. Eric Brosius is some kind of loving wizard.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool now someone do Weapons Factory

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Gromit posted:

The Looker is a parody of The Witness, so it helps if you are familiar with that amazing first person puzzle game.
Also if it helps, Jon Blow hates The Looker and even mentioning it on his Twitch streams will get you banned from his chat.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rebel Blob posted:

Also if it helps, Jon Blow hates The Looker and even mentioning it on his Twitch streams will get you banned from his chat.

Should I know who he is?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CommissarMega posted:

Should I know who he is?

He made The Witness and takes his work very seriously

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
*Jon Blow in a pitch black room solemnly watching Soulja Boy playing Braid*

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

Brb now I definitely need to play The Looker. Lmao.

Blow is a sanctimonious asshat so far up his own rear end he can visually inspect his own teeth for cavities.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
He's also become completely right wing conspiracy brain wormed

I will buy his new block pushing game because it will be very good

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

he's never going to finish his next game because he scope creeped his way to making it with a custom programming language he is developing from scatch

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

repiv posted:

he's never going to finish his next game because he scope creeped his way to making it with a custom programming language he is developing from scatch
And he's developing it from scratch because only he has the true vision to make the world's first good programming language. All other languages are for small-brained rabble.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

fez_machine posted:

He's also become completely right wing conspiracy brain wormed

I will buy his new block pushing game because it will be very good

He's always been kind of weird politically. I watched a few of his streams a while back and he was an Andrew Yang guy when Yang was still in the running and had the typical Elon Musk reverence you might expect from a programming guy. Braid and The Witness are still some of the best games ever made and I'll play the next one if he ever finishes it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tango alpha delta posted:

Way back in 1998, I was playing Three Wave CTF and my oldest would sit on my lap and watch me play. Once in a while she would grab the mouse and move it around. We actually won a CTF round with my daughter moving the mouse around and me running to the flag capture point. narrowly dodging railgun blasts. I let the losing team know that they had been all been beaten by a two year old girl. The subsequent meltdown text responses were glorious to behold and I will forever treasure the fact that my oldest and I used to play Quake 2 together.

As someone who owns an original boxed copy of Quake 2, also being able to play the latest version on the Steamdeck is very,very cool.

I used to play mwo with my daughter when she was six, she liked the child robots (lights) and thought the clans were Australian for some reason. One of my desktops is the score sheet from a match where we got three kills :shobon:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you play the witness on its own and you think oh, this game has a lot of philosophical viewpoints because it wants you to keep an open mind. and then you learn more about jonathan blow and you realize oh, this game has a lot of philosophical viewpoints because jonathan blow has absolutely no convictions outside his precious game design

Orv
May 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I used to play mwo with my daughter… and thought the clans were Australian for some reason.

I mean, kind of yeah

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

repiv posted:

Yeah that definitely has a history of not working out in favor of whatever the primary programming task is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

Is there a way I can pay $60 for The Looker

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think one of the lead designers of the game killing himself has probably delayed the game more than the programming language judging by the work in progress stuff he's shown on stream

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Eason the Fifth posted:

Action Quake II remaster when

LIGHTS

CAMERA

ACTION

sebmojo posted:

I used to play mwo with my daughter when she was six, she liked the child robots (lights) and thought the clans were Australian for some reason. One of my desktops is the score sheet from a match where we got three kills :shobon:

I hope she never learned the truth about Australians, that's so cute.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

happyhippy posted:

Don't think there has been a 'remaster' that totally changes the engine to something else.
Would be loving amazing if they made GTA3/Vice City in the GTA4 or 5 engines.
Oh man, monkey's paw wish right there. The Homeworld remaster was hot trash for the OG game as they basically forward ported it as a total conversion mod for their shiny new Homeworld 2 engine. Was a total mess with a bunch of mechanics not implemented.

Venuz Patrol posted:

you play the witness on its own and you think oh, this game has a lot of philosophical viewpoints because it wants you to keep an open mind. and then you learn more about jonathan blow and you realize oh, this game has a lot of philosophical viewpoints because jonathan blow has absolutely no convictions outside his precious game design
Yea, it was such a bait-and-switch going from Talos to Witness, one was a thinking game with a lot of philosophy and the other was a bunch of esoteric gimmick puzzles with whatever random public domain audio essays he could find shoved on in.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the actual puzzles in the witness are good imo, just ignore the audio logs they don't matter at all

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
The Witness has some absolutely fantastic puzzles, especially the ones after the twist. But some of them are just complete poo poo like the sound based ones where increasing amounts of noise are layered over the clues.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

repiv posted:

He’s right about C++ sucking, at least. Still a prick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, some of the Witness puzzles (most of them? most of the "easy" ones?) are good, but there's enough "you must be loving kidding me" ones thrown in to sully the entire experience. Like the sound ones took me a moment but I figured it out, but the desert touchscreens where you had to angle to see the sun's reflection to see finger-smudges on them? I spent like half a loving hour trying to understand how&why "sun" was important, I just never saw the reflection during my random searching. Then there was coloured light mixing, which is great as I remembered some of this from grade school... up until it went onto more advanced stuff like paint mixing which meant nothing to me so it means I'm gonna have to look up the answers regardless. And so on. Even calling it quits and taking an early 'win' was total horseshit as the puzzles where just simple things in the final area, being displayed on progressively more distorted screens. That isn't a brain teaser, that's just tedious bullshit.

The Witness came in several years after The Talos Principle, which is just rubbing extra dirt in it; we've already played better.