Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Quake 2's N64 port kicked rear end so this is great news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Making the Quake 1 multiplayer maps into a campaign is a great idea. I’ll definitely play through those.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

HolyKrap posted:

They just doubled the price of Q2 on steam with this update, I could've bought it half price 20 minutes ago dammit

Yeah, a little bit ago when the rumours were picking up I grabbed Quake 2 while GOG had a sale because I figured that'd happen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A very interesting article about the tech changes of Quake 2
https://bethesda.net/en/article/6NIyBxapXOurTKtF4aPiF4/enhancing-quake-ii

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wasn't there something going on with the soundtrack too? Sonic Mayhem signed the rights over or something so that all the unreleased tracks could get released?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

You know, I normally wait for a source port to pick up the new features, but I might just go for the standard Quake 2 Remastered, that all sounds real impressive.

Edit: the changes to the parasite (which I always called 'those loving robo-dog bastards) sound fantastic, I always hated them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This is gonna sound stupid but I already have quake 2 in library though not installed. The steam link to that gematsu article just takes it to the Quake 2 steam page. Is it automatically installed or something I'm dumb lol

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
played 1 level of the machine games thing and 1 round of the edge. Man does quake 2 stink!

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The big problem with quake 2 is the monsters absolutely suck. That combination of hitscan and not flinching makes a lot of fights about attrition and corner hovering. I hope the changes to AI make a meaningful difference but I doubt it. Seems to be a very slick port from a quick runthrough of unit 1.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is gonna sound stupid but I already have quake 2 in library though not installed. The steam link to that gematsu article just takes it to the Quake 2 steam page. Is it automatically installed or something I'm dumb lol

They replaced the old version with the new one, although you can still access the original version. Just like with Quake 1's remaster last year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Milo and POTUS posted:

yeah just install it from steam it got automatically changed from the old version to the remaster

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks to night dive for doing the right thing and updating Jennell Jaquays' name in the credits.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bunch of cowards taking a neutral stance on such an important subject :colbert:

Don't miss the two playable demo versions in the Development section of the Vault.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The souped up opening cinematic looks great.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Bunch of cowards taking a neutral stance on such an important subject :colbert:

more cowardly yet that they didn't give him his timbs.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

SeANMcBAY posted:

Making the Quake 1 multiplayer maps into a campaign is a great idea. I’ll definitely play through those.

You definitely should! The levels have REALLY been worked over. Aside from just visual polish, some different areas and routes... a great mix of nostalgia/recognition and then being surprised.

Here's an interview with the author BTW: https://bethesda.net/en/article/1Ux5aFCX0OhGSYTlOVEnvv/nods-to-mods-interview-deathmatch-dimension-for-quake

Weedle
May 31, 2006

getting that "id software super pack" on steam for $35 in 2007 has really paid off. at the time i just bought it for the wads but over the years it's gotten me the doom 1/2/3 and quake 1/2 remasters for free. thanks nerds

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Weedle posted:

getting that "id software super pack" on steam for $35 in 2007 has really paid off. at the time i just bought it for the wads but over the years it's gotten me the doom 1/2/3 and quake 1/2 remasters for free. thanks nerds

:same:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Another quality Nightdive remaster.

Colours really seem to pop though I don't think it's using HDR, looks great. Only played a few levels but have noticed some changes to layout and also cosmetically. Also some of the monsters behave a bit differently (the grunts go prone while shooting whereas they used to only duck and not shoot, the enforcer can run and shoot rather than standing still). Looking forward to going through this again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Weedle posted:

Same. It was a great deal at the time and has paid big dividends since

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
God I hope it brings in enough new meat that I can actually enjoy the dm without getting butchered in seconds

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

Thanks to night dive for doing the right thing and updating Jennell Jaquays' name in the credits.

I'm so used to her tabletop work I'm always surprised to be reminded she was involved in videogames too. Like, drat, what would nerd poo poo look like without her work in the '80s and '90s? Lamer, that's for sure.

Edit: I did have a moment when I logged in to see 78 new posts, because there was a solid 50/50 chance of it being something cool like this or the dumbest of slapfights.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

catlord posted:

I'm so used to her tabletop work I'm always surprised to be reminded she was involved in videogames too. Like, drat, what would nerd poo poo look like without her work in the '80s and '90s? Lamer, that's for sure.

I can't help but feel her famous Caverns of Thracia design in how interconnected Q2 is. Like I know there were other designers but I just have to imagine Jennell going "hey did you know a level can have more than one path, more than one exit and entrance? it's true! it makes it feel better!"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

:same:

(also, I wanted buy legit copies, after so many years of :filez: their games)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Welp, I'll give it a go. I remember trying to play Quake 2 on my first Pentium back in the day, and it just chugged. You ever get 2 games at once, and have trouble equally alternating between the two? It was Quake 2 and Postal for me. I mean, they were :filez: at the time, but still. I tried to get through it, but it was way too hard, likely because it was so slowed down, loading took forever, etc. I just went and blasted all the way through Postal instead, and then uninstalled both of them.

I told myself I'd play it again someday. And since then, I'd only really play the first or second map, and then give up. I'll give this one an honest try, though.

Also, I hope Quake 3 gets a remaster and comes out for either Quakecon 2024 or 2025. I prefer UT, but Epic has all but completely disowned those titles, and Quake 3 was still great.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bless Nightdive for adding muzzle flashes by default on Quake 2 remaster. New models are as good as the Quake 1 ones :buddy:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Weedle posted:

Did I get ripped off or something

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

There's a lot of remasters all of sudden - gonna leave Quake II until I'm finished with RotT.

Just managed to kill the NME, after several tries. From descriptions and watching videos of people fighting it, I got the impression that it was some kind of unholy fusion of a Revenant and a Cyberdemon. And I still think it is.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Now that Quake 4 is on id/bethesda's hands since years we could get a remaster or a remake.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Now that Quake 4 is on id/bethesda's hands since years we could get a remaster or a remake.

A remaster of Quake 1 & 2 is a blessing, don't bring a curse upon us.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

OK call of the machine so far is very sick. Just played through the Operation Laser Eyes / Corpse Run units on nightmare and they were very impressive. Enemy density is way up and there are a lot of very dynamic traps and boss arena style encounters. Corpse run starts with a BFG as the first weapon, to set the tone.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'm glad that after 25 years they've finally buffed the Q2 machinegun.

Volte posted:

Maybe they dropped the base price for Doom 3 + expansion at one point and it made the pack cheaper as a result?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dramicus posted:

I’d be curious what a remaster of 3 would be. I’d love to have that on console again. I played the poo poo out of the Dreamcast port.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

I actually quite like Quake 4

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm glad that after 25 years they've finally buffed the Q2 machinegun.

Maybe they dropped the base price for Doom 3 + expansion at one point and it made the pack cheaper as a result?

huh i coulda sworn i bought it but i guess if i got it for free somehow that's an even better return

e: i have a bunch of games from 03-07 that say complimentary so i assume there was some kind of change on steam with accounting at some point

site fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 10, 2023

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Volte posted:

it was on sale

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1689736203678195712

two more nightdive releases coming this year, I'm so curious about what these are

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
29.99 USD here. Hell of a steal, absolutely.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
"Complimentary" probably means you bought a key from another site like Humble or GMG or something.

Looks like I spent about US$70 on the QuakeCon bundle in 2011, mostly to replace all my scratched disks and unpatched pirate versions (I somehow didn't have the fourth and fifth episodes of Heretic before then!!) and, let's face it, at least partially for the TF2 goodies they packed in because I was a fiend for that game at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1689736203678195712

two more nightdive releases coming this year, I'm so curious about what these are

SiN remaster with SiN Episodes demake in the Quake 2 engine