Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I can do shooty games still for the most park but the blisteringly fast ones where you're running along the ceiling and rocket jumping and poo poo? puke city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i found i could play trepang fine but speedy close range shotgun is my preferred fps playstyle cause im crap at aiming
but i too am way too terrible to play hollow knight, which is a shame because by all accounts its great

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

we went to bed after practically every single fight and they never completed the ritual

RandolphCarter posted:

there is a timer but no one is sure how exactly it ticks forward. I did two rests in between the ritual starting and wiping out the goblins and the grove wasn’t sealed.

dope thanks. I’ve long rested twice since landing and only once since getting there, but it sounds like it doesn’t matter at all.

I’ve been playing Lore Bard and cutting words for combat and Jack of all trades + divine guidance + power gloves outside of combat really goes a long way to redeeming the class absent a lot of the spells they’d get around level 6 in 3.5 like mage armor, magic weapon, and all the other buffs I’d cast like a hundred times a session in shadows of undrentide. the amount of effort they put into the Bard specific dialogue and performance efforts really shines, too.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/SprawlFPS/status/1689335739383767040

how do we have so many good shooters coming out it's insane

Reminds me of Severed Steel, which is excellent.

https://twitter.com/SeveredSteel/status/1438910034650484738?s=20

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

going back to finish Dragon Quest 11, I like how all the cast have really good personal character arcs in the second act except for Jade whose arc is “gets hypnotized into wearing a bunny suit”

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Haha, so they kept the emergency stairs in FF7. Gonna climb that like an idiot.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

genericnick posted:

Haha, so they kept the emergency stairs in FF7. Gonna climb that like an idiot.

the elevator also has funny dialogue this time too

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

feeling optimistic about the rogue trader ost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4tQyQ9cQ0

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Buck Wildman posted:

feeling optimistic about the rogue trader ost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4tQyQ9cQ0

theyre just ripping off the necromunda soundtrack

which is a really good idea

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i thought poe 1 was? i bounced off that game after clearing the big dungeon under the castle you get

POE 1 and Kingmaker were both rtwp on release. Kingmaker eventually got a patch that enabled turn-based mode, and POE 1 had a very popular turn-based community mod, which inspired them to have turn-based mode as an option in POE 2.

(I think)

Y'know what I really wish would release in the US?

EDF 6. Been waiting on that for like a year.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Apparently the pathfinder games AREN'T coop. Wtf.
I'm sure I've discovered this before but I'm just as outraged this time too

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm having more fun than other posters in this thread, but I think that's because I know what to expect out of a Baldur's Gate game. Apart from the fact that its a bit edgier and has gained some Larian-isms (unique boss encounters with their own bespoke mechanics, frequent usage of terrain effects, etc.), its a pretty faithful sequel to the first two games.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far I'm just moving slowly because of work and irl stuff

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Whirling posted:

I'm having more fun than other posters in this thread, but I think that's because I know what to expect out of a Baldur's Gate game. Apart from the fact that its a bit edgier and has gained some Larian-isms (unique boss encounters with their own bespoke mechanics, frequent usage of terrain effects, etc.), its a pretty faithful sequel to the first two games.

I'm having a grand old time with it, personally

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Al! posted:

theyre just ripping off the necromunda soundtrack

which is a really good idea

if it's half as good as the mechanicus ost I'll be thrilled

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far I'm just moving slowly because of work and irl stuff

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm having a grand old time with it, personally

hell yeah

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

POE 1 and Kingmaker were both rtwp on release. Kingmaker eventually got a patch that enabled turn-based mode, and POE 1 had a very popular turn-based community mod, which inspired them to have turn-based mode as an option in POE 2.

(I think)

Y'know what I really wish would release in the US?

EDF 6. Been waiting on that for like a year.

Oh, link me that one please.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Whirling posted:

Apart from the fact that its a bit edgier and has gained some Larian-isms (unique boss encounters with their own bespoke mechanics, frequent usage of terrain effects, etc.), its a pretty faithful sequel to the first two games.

I'd say that's exactly why it's not a faithful sequel. It's a Larian game and it's missing all the tropes that Bioware loved to put in their games.

Whether it makes it good or bad depends on your opinions of 90s-00s Bioware, but that's a personal preference.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Buck Wildman posted:

I played aliens vs predator for a couple hours and I had to lie down I just accept those games are behind me at this point
I really wanted to play that but I was filled with such a feeling of dread and anxiety that I closed it and marked it as a turning point in my life as a gamer

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my prior understanding was that the harpers were kind of self appointed cops of the status quo that went after anyone or anything that threatened to shift the millennia long quagmire of a society that faerun was in

reading the lore on them tho and they're just anarchists that hate anyone over level 10 that gets too political

Oh, so Faerun QCS. They must die.

It's cool listening to BG3 chatter. I got all my D&D lore through Adventurers Guild official modules, but that was in Utah where My only experience with Faerun was the greyhawk lore well away from sword coast.

I played BG2 on my older brother's computer when I visited him. I must have played Irenicus's dungeon like 6 different ways, but never further.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Whirling posted:

It's an 8 that everyone thinks is a 10 but it's still great.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i will be cancelled for this but..

Add underwater areas to Monster Hunter World 2 its time for it to come back.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Popy posted:

i will be cancelled for this but..

Add underwater areas to Monster Hunter World 2 its time for it to come back.

you’re right

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Three pages of explanations and I still don’t understand poo poo about Harpers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Soul Master was a piece of piss lol, I died 5x more to the mid-boss guarding him. Now for Brooding Mawlek, the fight that I beat my head against last time I picked the game up until I shelved the playthrough. Quick healing, spore cloud, and long nail feel like a pretty good combo for a blender in a phonebooth boss

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Three pages of explanations and I still don’t understand poo poo about Harpers.

D&D School of the Americas is what I got. Seek and destroy anybody challenging the rule of magic or who thinks magic users should have social obligations using whatever rhetorical cover is most convenient at the moment

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

they are also portrayed as unambiguously heroic in official material, albeit farcically prone to infighting

E: at least back in the old days maybe more recent editions have a nuanced view on them

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

they are also portrayed as unambiguously heroic in official material, albeit farcically prone to infighting

E: at least back in the old days maybe more recent editions have a nuanced view on them

both code of the harpers (1993) and cloak and dagger (2000) have significant sections about villainous harpers/harpers acting in evil or unjust ways, and they're the two significant sources on the organization

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
But they are not themselves wizards?

Starting to think I should kill all Harpers. Sorry Jaheira, you were always difficult. Say hi to Khalid for me.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Arivia posted:

both code of the harpers (1993) and cloak and dagger (2000) have significant sections about villainous harpers/harpers acting in evil or unjust ways, and they're the two significant sources on the organization

they sound more fun

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/E_Universalis/status/1689699114513018880?t=WzU3cMVZRKwyXCMKZz8rNw&s=19

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

But they are not themselves wizards?

Starting to think I should kill all Harpers. Sorry Jaheira, you were always difficult. Say hi to Khalid for me.

nah, harpers are pretty diverse across all classes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The DnD movie had the main character be an ex-Harper.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Harper Marx

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

we can't defund the harpers because of a few bad apples, this extremist thought gets us nowhere. that is why I am signing this legislation for increased funding to provide all harpers +2 weapons

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the internal divination footage, which we are keeping confidential at this time, clearly portrays the suspect approaching the harper with intent to level drain. the harper in question has been reassigned to waterdeep to prevent undue trauma to the cell and no further discipline has been found to be necessary at this time

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The combat and visuals are fantastic.

The story and companions are, without a better word for it, MEAN. It's frustrating, as a person who wants to play a good aligned player character who does the right thing and plays the hero, to be met with either stark disapproval from the entire supporting cast, or active hostility from the quest design. No good deed ever goes unpunished. I understand that to be true in The Real World(tm), but I'm playing Dungeons & Dragons. I don't want to be depressed while playing my escapism fantasy. I don't want to be constantly berated and yelled at by snarky companions or actively hostile ones.

The game was not meant to be played by a good aligned player. At least that's what Act 1 feels like to me, and I don't want to be frustrated further by playing more of the game.

I really wanted to like this game, but it feels actively hostile to me as a person who just wants some fantasy dungeons and dragons escapism, with a character who just wants to do the right thing. If that's you, do not buy this game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fits my needs posted:

The combat and visuals are fantastic.

The story and companions are, without a better word for it, MEAN. It's frustrating, as a person who wants to play a good aligned player character who does the right thing and plays the hero, to be met with either stark disapproval from the entire supporting cast, or active hostility from the quest design. No good deed ever goes unpunished. I understand that to be true in The Real World(tm), but I'm playing Dungeons & Dragons. I don't want to be depressed while playing my escapism fantasy. I don't want to be constantly berated and yelled at by snarky companions or actively hostile ones.

The game was not meant to be played by a good aligned player. At least that's what Act 1 feels like to me, and I don't want to be frustrated further by playing more of the game.

I really wanted to like this game, but it feels actively hostile to me as a person who just wants some fantasy dungeons and dragons escapism, with a character who just wants to do the right thing. If that's you, do not buy this game.

syq

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I saved a lady from a witch but she turned out to be an rear end in a top hat so I think mordenkainen would be proud of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Buck Wildman posted:

I saved a lady from a witch but she turned out to be an rear end in a top hat so I think mordenkainen would be proud of me
That's the real test of being a truly Good character, whether you can stick to your moral guns and save assholes too or if you're only nice when it's easy.