Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

So, uh, anyway. Preseason proper starts tonight.

Is anyone in the league playing any starters or high draft picks worth checking out this weekend?

According to this Stroud, Young, and Richardson will all be starting which should be interesting even if only for like one series.

Hizawk posted:

Justin Jackson retired like a week after signing with the Lions. According to the Beat writers, he was on track to almost certainly make the team.

Good for you, Justin Jackson.

He always seemed cool. It is extremely refreshing to see a quote like this from a player and realize he's explaining his hot take that "war for profit is bad" and not "covid is a government hoax but also an ultra deadly Chinese bioweapon personally released by Hunter Biden to kill his political opponents"

quote:

I’ve been doing a lot of research on these topics. I don’t try to talk out of my rear end. I like being educated on the things I’m speaking about. Our season just ended not too long ago, so I have a lot more free time. I just didn’t have a lot of energy to expand more upon that. I have done some tweets in the past. None of them really blew up like the ones recently did. But obviously, these blew up and a lot more people paid attention to what I’ve been saying. I don’t think anything I said was really super controversial. These are pretty much widely known truths, but not necessarily spoken about in the corporate media or among the corporate elite. So that’s why it’s almost like this shock factor, even though these are, in my opinion, widely held truths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1689714086613782528?s=46

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Public Swrvice Announcement: NFL Gamepass International is now serviced by DAZN (...DA... ZONE...)

My subscription was automatically renewed and when I login I'm told the service isn't available in my country (Latvia).

Cool, cool, cool. Good thing I'm moving back to Canada very shortly anyways, but before you sign up make sure it's available in your country.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

So a yearly 80 bucks for Redzone with no other commitments? That's actually not horrible. It should be cheaper, but it's not crazy. Or just pay $15/month in September, October, November and December for $60.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Silly Burrito posted:

So a yearly 80 bucks for Redzone with no other commitments? That's actually not horrible. It should be cheaper, but it's not crazy. Or just pay $15/month in September, October, November and December for $60.

still wish I could just pay to watch Bengals games

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Grittybeard posted:

So, uh, anyway. Preseason proper starts tonight.

Is anyone in the league playing any starters or high draft picks worth checking out this weekend?

I've read that the Bears will play Justin Fields.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Still only on phone/tablet though so no streaming it on your TV :/

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Am I reading this correct in that it’s mobile only? Seemed too good to be true, but if I can’t throw the app up on my TV then I guess it is

E: ^^Dangit. Wonder if it blocks casting from phone to AppleTV?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The NFL Network has lost over 20 million subscribers in the past decade. How can they be so bad at this?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

wandler20 posted:

The NFL Network has lost over 20 million subscribers in the past decade. How can they be so bad at this?

It's a channel nobody ever asked for.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
FACT: FS1 is in more homes than ESPN now, and it's not because more people are getting FS1.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Edward Mass posted:

FACT: FS1 is in more homes than ESPN now, and it's not because more people are getting FS1.

well gee willikers don't keep us hanging! What could be the reason?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's a good thing OBJ went to LSU, since being a public dumbass couldn't lower the value of that degree any

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GD_American posted:

It's a good thing OBJ went to LSU, since being a public dumbass couldn't lower the value of that degree any

Impossible to lower the public perception any further after Bobby Jindal.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My favorite part of the day is when I open the thread and find out another Ravens player is injured or being an idiot in public. Lamar is gonna donate his salary to Mormon sex traffickers as long as they wear Era 8 branded uniforms once he hears about this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Are either preseason games being shown on TV tonight? Will there be a GDT?

I need to know if I should dip out of work early and order chicken wings to arrive at home when kickoff happens.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

T-Square posted:

Am I reading this correct in that it’s mobile only? Seemed too good to be true, but if I can’t throw the app up on my TV then I guess it is

Lightning to HDMI adapters are a thing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Android Apocalypse posted:

I need to know if I should dip out of work early and order chicken wings to arrive at home when kickoff happens.

Both are on NFL Network, along with local broadcasters.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Depends if your TV has NFL Network or not.

mine does hell yeah

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

wandler20 posted:

My GF loved falling asleep and waking up with the NFL Network on. She wasn't actually watching or listening to it, but it helped her sleep. I finally started complaining about it because I couldn't stand the hot takes anymore. I don't know how they are as bad as they are. It's the same news being regurgitated by different people all day, and no one ever has a new talking point.

Like they have the whole NFL library to fall back on, they could easily spend 4-6 hours a day replaying old games, breaking down film from games in interesting ways, just about anything BUT what they are doing would be 100% better.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's practically unwatchable. It literally made me appreciate ESPN more. But I need my precious sunday ticket so

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
When RedZone isn’t on, they should just randomly replay old weeks of it. They’ve been doing it since 2009, so I’d be okay with turning it on to randomly see like Week 12 of 2011 or whatever for shits and giggles.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fartknocker posted:

When RedZone isn’t on, they should just randomly replay old weeks of it. They’ve been doing it since 2009, so I’d be okay with turning it on to randomly see like Week 12 of 2011 or whatever for shits and giggles.

That’d be fun, plus old classic games, documentaries, and they can have one talking head show I guess

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bows1 posted:

still wish I could just pay to watch Bengals games

oh you will!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

syzpid posted:

My GF loved falling asleep and waking up with the NFL Network on. She wasn't actually watching or listening to it, but it helped her sleep. I finally started complaining about it because I couldn't stand the hot takes anymore. I don't know how they are as bad as they are. It's the same news being regurgitated by different people all day, and no one ever has a new talking point.

Like they have the whole NFL library to fall back on, they could easily spend 4-6 hours a day replaying old games, breaking down film from games in interesting ways, just about anything BUT what they are doing would be 100% better.

Yeah, I think like any time I've scrolled by NFLN in the offseason I've seen only one game being aired that didn't happen within the past five years. Checking the schedule for NHLN for the next day alone, they have all sorts of classic games and shows talking about classic games airing, and I know that MLBtv and Golf Channel will also have sports movies on to fill airtime. I don't even think NFLN does that

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

wandler20 posted:

Well I think bundling it with Redzone and Sunday Ticket is a pretty good start, but it’s still going to be hamstrung by the streaming issue that’s a product of their TV rights deals. I’m pretty sure that they can’t offer a product that will compete with the TV broadcasts. People probably aren’t going to opt to watch Redzone on a phone or tablet over what’s on CBS or FOX, so this is safe, but allowing it to stream on AppleTV or a Chromecast will run afoul of it.

I would say that they would probably work that out on the next deal but they just signed this one on 2021 so I don’t know what the hell they’re thinking

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Show old games with no commentary.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Show old games with no commentary.

:hmmno: I want to hear classic John Madden talk for several minutes about the family relationships of Gatorade buckets.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yOU'LL PAY FOR WATCHING THE cINCINNATI bENGALS!!!!

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

fartknocker posted:

In the depths of the off season I wouldnt be above watching 7 hours of commercial free football even if it was from 14 years ago.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Paint Crop Pro posted:

commercial free

Oh, I just realized why it won't ever happen. :sigh:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Does Boyd know he had worse stats that game?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Does OBJ realize the Rams won that Super Bowl?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

OBJ doesn't have much goin on in his brain.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BlindSite posted:

OBJ doesn't have much goin on in his brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjOqMcgkfLY

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paint Crop Pro posted:

In the depths of the off season I wouldnt be above watching 7 hours of commercial free football even if it was from 14 years ago.

I have some really good news about what the NFL has put on YouTube. Just one example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcflzu8bKc0

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Does OBJ realize the Rams won that Super Bowl?

Does Boyd?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

mllaneza posted:

I have some really good news about what the NFL has put on YouTube. Just one example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcflzu8bKc0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Speaking of just watching old sporting events, since I lived in NYC as a kid, I got the Classic Sports Network before it was bought by ESPN and it was the best. Most of the day they just rebroadcast random old events that they owned the rights to. A lot of it was boxing, but sometimes you'd would get old stuff from random sports. They played a random Home Run Derby from the 50s and they interviewed one of the guys and I remember thinking "What team is the Washington Nationals?". Even better though, for Prime Time they would usually air a classic game/event for an hour, and then spend a half hour or an hour interviewing guys from then about it. It was absolutely perfect.

Then ESPN bought it and within 3-6 months they were using it as a dumping ground for live events that got bumped off of ESPN or ESPN2. Plus they stopped showing a lot of the older stuff from the 50s/60s/70s for stuff that they already had the rights to.