Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In PA a basement is where you put a toilet and a radon mitigation system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

also your bikes

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

anonumos posted:

Might as well doxx myself. This is what I'm buying.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/401-S-Chester-St-Blacksburg-SC-29702/2058019383_zpid/

It's my post-divorce bungalow, with just enough room for me and my two boys.

Roast me? Congratulate me? Defenestrate me?

Whatever. This is hell world, and I'm doing my best.

My favorite features are the quiet close cabinets and drawers, and being a block away from my kids' school. The laminate is pretty high quality, too. Seriously, I'm taking too much pride in this. Someone do something.

Well done! And being close to your kid's school is huge.

SC? I'd be filling the yard with Cypress, because I'm a tree weirdo.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
lol offer accepted, I just bought a house for 815k

NorCal ftw

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nikosoft posted:

NorCal ftw

:thermidor:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nikosoft posted:

NorCal ftw

what do you do for a living

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
see this is what letting PFC continue to post does to a thread

Apr 7, 2003

I will never stop posting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nikosoft posted:

NorCal ftw

Im guessing 3/2 1900 sq ft

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
lmao

i think 800k is about the max you can afford while staying under 33% of income to housing cost for a ~$180k household income, which isn't super hard if two working professional adults in their mid-30s are doing well in their chosen fields?

yet 800k for 1900 sq feet sounds like a very bad deal.

Apr 7, 2003

income-to-housing recommendation is gross, so in practice it's going to be close to half your net

I would feel very uncomfortable taking on a single bill that's half my net, but that's probably just my poorbrain speaking

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

see this is what letting PFC continue to post does to a thread

This is a PFC containment thread. That's what it's here for.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

anonumos posted:

Might as well doxx myself. This is what I'm buying.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/401-S-Chester-St-Blacksburg-SC-29702/2058019383_zpid/

It's my post-divorce bungalow, with just enough room for me and my two boys.

Roast me? Congratulate me? Defenestrate me?

Whatever. This is hell world, and I'm doing my best.

My favorite features are the quiet close cabinets and drawers, and being a block away from my kids' school. The laminate is pretty high quality, too. Seriously, I'm taking too much pride in this. Someone do something.

Plant some trees and that would be a nice property.

Pin oak, maybe an American Holly or Gordonia.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there are loving finger joints on those cabinet faces. that's not exactly technical carpentry, but like... it's so cheap and so prevalent just using a piece of laminated MDF. Just can't figure out how this happened.

What does this mean?

I assume that's evidence that the cabinets were built on-site instead of factory pressed out of sawdust?

anonumos has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Aug 10, 2023

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

They left one massive oak tree in the middle of the original 3/4 acre lot. Unfortunately it's rooted in the neighbors yard, but it doesn't overhang my house, just part of my back yard. I'm totally looking forward to landscaping the yard to make a little pollinators oasis.

Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

What does this mean?

I assume that's evidence that the cabinets were built on-site instead of factory pressed out of sawdust?

It means that they're solid wood and constructed in a high strength fashion instead of just lovely butted particle board.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

anonumos posted:

They left one massive oak tree in the middle of the original 3/4 acre lot. Unfortunately it's rooted in the neighbors yard, but it doesn't overhang my house, just part of my back yard. I'm totally looking forward to landscaping the yard to make a little pollinators oasis.

Nice!

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

income-to-housing recommendation is gross, so in practice it's going to be close to half your net

I would feel very uncomfortable taking on a single bill that's half my net, but that's probably just my poorbrain speaking

See i feel this way too, what if one of us gets laid off or accidental kid or medical emergency. I never extended myself, I played it conservative and kept the risk low.

I have missed out on so much loving money. Don't be like me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Acelerion posted:

See i feel this way too, what if one of us gets laid off or accidental kid or medical emergency. I never extended myself, I played it conservative and kept the risk low.

it does really feel bad to watch the dumbest shitheads i grew up with become millionaires overnight because they were born in austin and didn't get laid off in 2009

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

nikosoft posted:

NorCal ftw

where痴 the 1 in front of the 815k

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Bastard Tetris posted:

where’s the 1 in front of the 815k

The fact that he's only getting one house for 3/4 a million dollars of debt

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

anonumos posted:

The fact that he's only getting one house for 3/4 a million dollars of debt

I知 kidding I知 mostly jealous all of that mortgage interest is deductible

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Acelerion posted:

I've posted about it before but I'm a huge dummy for spending less than $200k on a house in 2016 because I wanted to keep a low mortgage payment that, if one of my wife or I got laid off, we'd be able to tighten our belts and afford. And then in 2020 we refinanced to a super low interest rate instead of moving in to a bigger house. We were fools, morons. Absolute idiots. We should have leveraged ourselves to the hilt for a $400k or $500k house that hit on every single thing that we wanted instead of making some compromises because now with both prices and interest rates spiking we're 7 years later and would like to move because we have different priorities now and also know a lot better what we actually want out of a house but lol, moving up even one step on the price point ladder would double our mortgage payments. The people who leveraged themselves before 2020 are the winners.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Aug 10, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Bastard Tetris posted:

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I should have gone up to a then 450k or so house in 2019. oh well!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bastard Tetris posted:

It's not anymore.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Thoguh posted:

It's not anymore.

Isn't that a technicality? The standard deduction is now so high you'd need a lot of mortgage interest for itemization to matter.

I gladly shed my low interest 300k loan for 220k at double the interest. I'm getting a much better house to boot. When rates drop I should be able to refinance pretty easily.

Yay for being a high earner, but I'll never borrow more than twice my salary again.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Aug 10, 2023

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

anonumos posted:

PLANT COTTON WOOD. They grow fast! They provide a lot of shade! Even FDR loved them!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
cottonwood in the spring is a goddamn nightmare though. it's like it snows.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Thoguh posted:

It's not anymore.

It is under certain circumstances, up to about $750k I think? Standard deduction tops out at like $27k or something

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It's a beautiful tree and please try not to slander its bounty.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it only stops at 750k???

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i say swears online posted:

it does really feel bad to watch the dumbest shitheads i grew up with become millionaires overnight because they were born in austin and didn't get laid off in 2009

Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to the skillful; but time and chance happen to them all.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Yah the mortgage interest deduction limit is $750k, for a married couple, which is mostly irrelevant for the price range of homes being talked about here.

When rates were around 3% the interest on that mortgage alone was $22k just under the married filing jointly standard deduction by itself. At 7% it's $52k of deductible interest.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It's not that big of a deal unless the cotton gets thick enough to clog your AC. Your neighbors are going to hate your guts for them though

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bastard Tetris posted:

It is under certain circumstances, up to about $750k I think? Standard deduction tops out at like $27k or something

Yeah, I guess it still exists under certain circumstances, for most people though it isn't gonna cause you to go over the standard deduction so it's essentially gone. Though seeing the math on new interest rates that may now be a dated opinion from the privilege of a mortgage that I refinanced in 2020 at 2.25% so I only pay $225/month in interest and will be sub $200/month in early 2025.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
It used to be uncapped, but TCJA hosed it so private jets can stay deductible forever

trumbl

Apr 7, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

It used to be uncapped, but TCJA hosed it so private jets can stay deductible forever

trumbl

also the little people tax cuts go away in 2025 lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

also the little people tax cuts go away in 2025 lmao

biden omitted them from his budgeting for the IRA, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the standard deduction is going to go down in two years?