Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Quake 2’s weapons still sound and feel like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still way better than Quake 4s.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DOOM Eternal is the real Quake 4

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

hatty posted:

:romo:

Game picks up once you get the super shotgun. Cmon rail gun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quake 4 absolutely stinks, Activision are doing us all a favour keeping it off modern consoles

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

do we think a hypothetical quake 5 would continue the whole strogg thing or be like quake 1 with the weird dimensional stuff. i think more strogg stuff would be kinda pointless after the doom games and revisiting the quake 1 style would be pretty refreshing

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Q4 is weirdly mid for a Raven title.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

all i remember about quake 4 is it being from the everything is brown era, fighting some huge spider mech outside and then being turned into a strogg in first person which was kinda cool but i don't think it actually affected gameplay?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I do wonder what iD is working on. They've been silent since Doom Eternal. Kind of hoping for a Quake reboot like Doom got but Phil was wearing that Hexen shirt. Maybe they bought the ip from Activision or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

do we think a hypothetical quake 5 would continue the whole strogg thing or be like quake 1 with the weird dimensional stuff. i think more strogg stuff would be kinda pointless after the doom games and revisiting the quake 1 style would be pretty refreshing

I would like for ID Software to return to the Quake 1 style. I don't see them returning to online multiplayer only Quake, because Quake Champions flopped really hard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/ModernVintageG/status/1689704614818639872

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I probably have eight controllers due to stick drift over the last 10 years

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm gonna need a bigger couch

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

quake champions seems to be doing pretty well with the pro league stuff and everything but we definitely need a console-only version with crossplay

return to quake 1 style would own though i just want to travel to different dimensions chopping people up with an axe and bonus points if they turn it into a grappleaxe like that old mod did and they get 343 to help with the physics with it because the halo grapple owns. but then again hexen lets you launch sheep off catapults and has those gnarly electro gauntlets so idk i guess we win either ways :cheers:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

90sgamer posted:

Quake 1 had new content from machine games and nightdive

Did quake 1 come with quake 64? I didn’t even know there was a quake 2 64
Quake 1 N64 is in the Quake 1 remaster's mods menu. It's more or less the same levels, but with lower-res textures, lots of very '90s coloured lighting since they had the technology now, an eerie new ambient soundtrack by the guy who did Doom 64, and a hilarious "blurry CRT screen" effect some joker at Night Dive or Id threw over it.

Quake 2 N64 is an entirely different campaign from the PC game with all new levels and another eerie ambient soundtrack. Very cool to finally be able to play it with a double-digit framerate and a sane control scheme!

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

SUNKOS posted:

all i remember about quake 4 is it being from the everything is brown era, fighting some huge spider mech outside and then being turned into a strogg in first person which was kinda cool but i don't think it actually affected gameplay?

Gave you more health and changed the hud, let you use Strogg healing machines and read stuff that was gibberish before.

While Quake 4 isn't amazing it had a lot of neat ideas, and I feel it fell short the way many shooters did at the time due to the complete shift in focus on what shooters needed. Half Life 2 did a number on all shooters after it for a while.
I'd love to see it remade or continued with more interesting colours apart from brown dirt.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Man the compass function and the accessibility poo poo is neat. Captions were such an exception for the longest time and while there’s barely any dialogue in quake 2 I love to finally be able to understand it. Did it already have the hit markers in the original? I’m 99% sure that was a CoD4 era invention.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wiltsghost posted:

I do wonder what iD is working on. They've been silent since Doom Eternal. Kind of hoping for a Quake reboot like Doom got but Phil was wearing that Hexen shirt. Maybe they bought the ip from Activision or something.

I mean Microsoft is buying out Activision anyways so doing a separate purchase for just the Hexen rights would be silly

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Surprise Q2 remaster drop?? Fukken sold. :homebrew:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zwille posted:

Man the compass function and the accessibility poo poo is neat. Captions were such an exception for the longest time and while there’s barely any dialogue in quake 2 I love to finally be able to understand it. Did it already have the hit markers in the original? I’m 99% sure that was a CoD4 era invention.

How do you turn on the compass?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I said come in! posted:

How do you turn on the compass?

It's at the top of your item wheel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

It's at the top of your item wheel.

Thank you, this is a really cool accessibility feature.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

hatty posted:

Doom eternal sucks

I wanted to play an fps not virtua fighter

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

I said come in! posted:

Thank you, this is a really cool accessibility feature.

I only found out because I was curious about the tutorial :v:

A tutorial. In a Quake game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
It's kind of stupid that people act like XBox has this evil plan to make sure no other platform has any games, yet they release the Quake 2 remaster on everything including the God damned Switch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lammasu posted:

It's kind of stupid that people act like XBox has this evil plan to make sure no other platform has any games, yet they release the Quake 2 remaster on everything including the God damned Switch.

Finally a game that won’t over-tax the switch hardware

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Lammasu posted:

They’re pro communist when you think about it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

quake 4 absolutely stinks, Activision are doing us all a favour keeping it off modern consoles

Quake 4 got back to id/bethesda years ago. Keep up with the news :smug:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

love the xbox spreading peace, love, good games and communism to gamers around the globe. be x-cellent to each other :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

they should have let activision keep that poo poo!!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they should have let activision keep that poo poo!!

Well, good news, even in that case, Microsoft still would have owned Quake 4 in the end :ironicat:

Release Heretic II and Soldier of Fortune you cowards :argh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Release Heretic II and Soldier of Fortune you cowards :argh:
The Soldier of Fortune games are on GOG in all their g(l)ory.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Guillermus posted:

So why isn’t it on Xbox or pc remastered version?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

The Kins posted:

Quake 1 N64 is in the Quake 1 remaster's mods menu. It's more or less the same levels, but with lower-res textures, lots of very '90s coloured lighting since they had the technology now, an eerie new ambient soundtrack by the guy who did Doom 64, and a hilarious "blurry CRT screen" effect some joker at Night Dive or Id threw over it.

Quake 2 N64 is an entirely different campaign from the PC game with all new levels and another eerie ambient soundtrack. Very cool to finally be able to play it with a double-digit framerate and a sane control scheme!

Doom 64s ambient soundtrack is fantastic and made the game way scarier. Looking forward to playing Quake 64

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

A Nightdive style release would be great for Heretic II and SoF(1).

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Can a mother fucker get a hexen remake?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Can a mother fucker get a hexen remake?

If Phil Spencer doesn’t deliver hexen remake. He has failed as a leader and as a man

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

90sgamer posted:

So why isn’t it on Xbox or pc remastered version?

Probably because it's not very good, it aged a lot worse than Doom 3 or any of the other id Tech 4 engine games

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

drrockso20 posted:

Probably because it's not very good, it aged a lot worse than Doom 3 or any of the other id Tech 4 engine games

I can’t accept that. Ravensoft doesn’t make bad games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

Thank you, did not know this!