Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my sister to pay for the damage her son caused to my artwork?

i love that so many people spend like 90% of their leisure time consuming media created by artists, and simultaneously hold the belief that their work has no value. no one offers to pay a plumber in exposure; if a child destroyed a car that someone was working on, there would be no question that money is owed. but a painting is worthless because making one isn't "real" work, right? assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Hoo boy, talk about an understatement

The USPS is arguably the only federal agency explicitly authorized by name in the Constitution; as a result, they take their job very loving seriously

I love reading about people finding out that USPS is serious about their job and will put you in federal prison for loving with it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Knormal posted:

I still remember from years ago my community college GE physics teacher telling us he regularly got emails from people asking him to certify the perpetual motion machine they'd invented, I can't imagine how much garbage professors at the big universities must get.

I'll bet it's bad for anybody publicly in the sciences. Back when I was in grad school, some rando called my office and wanted to talk about the government's secret weather machines and how they were being used to attack him. I hung up but he kept calling back, asking to speak to other students sharing the same office number. Turns out he was just going down our contacts webpage and calling everyone listed having to do with our department, students and office staff included. I think the police eventually got on his case and told him to knock it off.

(unless the government finally got him :tinfoil:)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll bet it's bad for anybody publicly in the sciences. Back when I was in grad school, some rando called my office and wanted to talk about the government's secret weather machines and how they were being used to attack him. I hung up but he kept calling back, asking to speak to other students sharing the same office number. Turns out he was just going down our contacts webpage and calling everyone listed having to do with our department, students and office staff included. I think the police eventually got on his case and told him to knock it off.

(unless the government finally got him :tinfoil:)

I once got a phone call asking if I could translate some ancient Sanskrit tablets.

I was a librarian.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my sister to pay for the damage her son caused to my artwork?

She's not punishing the child's stupid mistake, she is punishing the parents mediocre parenting. Kid broke it, parents but it, that's the way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nothing wrong with how that situation was handled but if you have something that represents a ton of time, money, and labor in your office, lock the loving door

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Foo Diddley posted:

girl babies evaporate if you put them in a room with blue walls, that's just science

I was raised in a room with yellow walls, I turned out to be a bisexual tomboy. The science tracks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Bramble posted:

I remember this too. I recall the topic being bannable for a while and lots of red text avatars being thrown around

I'm pretty sure this is to math what plane-on-a-treadmill is to physics or monty hall is to statistics.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I was raised in a room with yellow walls, I turned out to be a bisexual tomboy. The science tracks.

Pink walls, rainbow shag carpeting. This explains so much.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
All I can think of now is the house from But I'm a Cheerleader.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I like how often it’s a cocktail napkin.

This proof is written on a cocktail napkin

And it still says 0.9999... = 1

And 1 is spelled wrong!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"I loving depended on you and
you left the loving wheelbarrow
out and it's loving raining
and now the white chickens
are loving filthy"

|
|
|

I love Calvin's dad. Is that the binoculars moment?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bobstar posted:

I love Calvin's dad. Is that the binoculars moment?

Yep! And same, it's funny how much I've come to identify with Calvin's dad as I get older lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cythereal posted:

I once got a phone call asking if I could translate some ancient Sanskrit tablets.

I was a librarian.
Yes, but did you? We all know librarians are magic.

Somebody learned from r/relationships, YAAAAY!
UPDATE - AITA for not allowing my stepson(12M) to live with us

quote:

For those who want to read the original post, it's available here.

I initially want to thank the comments that helped me understand that I was in the wrong. I learned that I was being extremely selfish, only looking out for my own children and my fear that they might somehow face bullying at home, but I wasn't considering the feelings of my stepson. I've also learned that the dynamics between siblings, something I never experienced, inevitably involve a bit of competition and rivalry.

I was so focused on myself and my kids that I couldn't see that if he wants to live with us, then obviously he cares about us, especially the idea of having siblings. So, I hope we will work together build a great dynamic in our house.

I talked to my fiancé, even showed him this Reddit post, and told him that I agree our stepson should live with us, that I was wrong about my reservations concerning the boy.
He talked to the mother of my stepson, who has legal custody of him. I didn't participate in the conversation, as I understand it's a moment for the biological parents. Despite being reluctant, after hearing from her own child that he wanted to live with us, she agreed to work out an arrangement where he will spend a significant amount of time with us. My fiancé and boy's mother will still have to discuss the details.

After that, my fiancé and I took my stepson out to eat his favorite burger and talked. I told him that we're happy to have him as a new member of our household, that we're going to look for a new house to better accommodate the family now that we'll be five, and he can have his own room. He was very happy.

We didn't address some concerns that I still have, like the issue of discipline and following rules. I avoided that topic so it doesn't seem like I'm threatening him to go back to living with his mom. I want him to feel accepted unconditionally in our home. But of course, we'll have that conversation about discipline with the older two soon to prevent any issues and also emphasize the importance of maintaining good grades in school.

PS.: There's no need for anyone here to send me messages cursing me out. I've received dozens of offensive messages, and it doesn't help anyone. I've also received supportive messages with advice, and I appreciate those messages. Internet and this community don't need to be a place for hate.

OP

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yep! And same, it's funny how much I've come to identify with Calvin's dad as I get older lol
The once a year or so when Calvin's dad would manage to get over on him were some of the best C&H strips.

etc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What kind of an American doesn’t know that stealing mail is a felony? That’s right next to the pledge of allegiance and apple pie. Did I miss something and this story takes place in a commune where everyones Canadian

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What kind of an American doesn’t know that stealing mail is a felony? That’s right next to the pledge of allegiance and apple pie. Did I miss something and this story takes place in a commune where everyones Canadian

the kind that steal mail, apparently

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I grew up in the skinamarink house and my walls were painted weird

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Someone needs to watch The Firm again to see how serious mail crimes are.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Solenna posted:

Isn't that kind of why the term "deadname" exists?

It's called that because that's the name they'll bury you under and talk to everyone using despite your wishes

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I was a librarian.
My mom's a librarian and one time a patron asked her for a photograph of Los Angeles in the time of Christ.

After my mom painstakingly explained why this would be impossible, the patron got very indignant and said they didn't need a color photo, black-and-white would be fine.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

spite house posted:

My mom's a librarian and one time a patron asked her for a photograph of Los Angeles in the time of Christ.

After my mom painstakingly explained why this would be impossible, the patron got very indignant and said they didn't need a color photo, black-and-white would be fine.

I think Angels were around during the time of Christ. :rolleyes:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

FMguru posted:

The once a year or so when Calvin's dad would manage to get over on him were some of the best C&H strips.

etc.

lol I love how I notice new details every time I read one of these strips, like the details about time zones and flight times adding strength to my theory that the strip is set in Ohio

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lol I love how I notice new details every time I read one of these strips, like the details about time zones and flight times adding strength to my theory that the strip is set in Ohio

If you go to his Wikipedia it says he grew up in Chagrin Falls, and indeed did set the strip in a place inspired by small town Ohio.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He wasn't stealing the mail, he was just borrowing it, duh!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nocheez posted:

If you go to his Wikipedia it says he grew up in Chagrin Falls, and indeed did set the strip in a place inspired by small town Ohio.

I'd somehow gotten it into my mind that Chagrin Falls was in Iowa :downs: that makes a lot more sense now

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
An attempted power play with a weak hand ends like you'd expect.

AITAH for just saying "ok" to my little bros declining of my destination wedding?

quote:

Im currently planning on wedding. My fiancee's family is from Jamaica, she still has family there so we will be getting married there. Its going to be at an all inclusive resort that I am excited for and aware not everyone can afford. We've invited about 40 people from our country, most of who have already RSVPed yes.

My little brother Ill call Jake makes decent money but is very frugal. He thinks its ridiculous that were getting married there when both of us are from here. I admit its about half because her family and half because it just sounds really fun. I know not everyone will be able to afford it and Im totally cool if people cant make the trip or dont want to spend for it. I want a small wedding anyway.

Jake told me yesterday he's not going because he doesnt want to pay for the flight and hotel and all that. I understood and just said "ok". He then was asking "so thats it, you dont care if your only brother wont go, you still wont just have a wedding where you guys are from". and I was just like "yeah thats fine, ill send pics".

To me that was that, but now his wife, my SIL is on my case about its saying I should have tried to convince him or helped pay for it. I technically could afford to but its just not a huge priority to have as many people there as possible.
Ha ha I'll just RSVP no and she'll offer to pay my way, she wouldn't dare not have me at her wedding!

I suspect this isn't the first time little bro has tried to use his cheapness to leverage goodies from family members.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Mail sorter man indignant that he was helping as the court summons file into the shared letterbox

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kru posted:

Mail sorter man indignant that he was helping as the court summons file into the shared letterbox

It's inevitably going to turn out to be the dumbest poo poo too, like they had some cheap cell phone plan linked to that address that isn't available for new subscribers.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

spite house posted:

FMguru posted:

etc.
Good timing on these two posts.

But yeah, when I get certain questions I'm just like, sorry, wasn't able to find anything, there not be any photographs of that available. Spending a lot of time explaining things to people is often just not worth the effort. Some time ago a guy came into the library where I work wanting certain legal forms and saying that we'd found them online for him before (later learned this was not true), and when he "found" the forms himself they were for a different municipality. I smiled and said, that's great, I'm sorry we couldn't help you right away, and then one of my colleagues spent ten minutes trying to explain that these were the wrong forms. The guy failed to understand after I talked to him, and he failed to understand after my co-worker talked to him, but my poor co-worker made the mistake of trying to fix something unfixable.

It's the information version going in the back room to check if something is there that you know isn't there, spending a minute or two hanging out, and then going back up to the customer and saying that you're sorry, the item they want isn't in the back either, the store must be all out. It's just easier.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 10, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's inevitably going to turn out to be the dumbest poo poo too, like they had some cheap cell phone plan linked to that address that isn't available for new subscribers.

Neighbor seems to be extremely insistent that OP not get to see the removed mail, making sure to always grab it before them and refusing a plan involving it being sorted in front of them both.
Pretty sure it's drugs.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In my mind, it was straight up junk mail that comes in envelopes (e.g., car insurance offers or whatever). The kind of poo poo that goes immediately in the trash unread.

The Lone Badger posted:

Neighbor seems to be extremely insistent that OP not get to see the removed mail, making sure to always grab it before them and refusing a plan involving it being sorted in front of them both. Pretty sure it's drugs.
This is more likely though, given how loving weird the neighbor is being about the whole thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fatty posted:

My unemployed boyfriend claims he has a simple "proof" that breaks mathematics. Can anyone verify this proof? I honestly think he might be crazy.

This proof is a mess from the beginning but for more subtle ones: infinity is not a number or a stopping point. It is often in close proximity to numbers, sometimes if you're very careful you can pretend it's a number for a moment, but you ignore the differences at your peril.

Seeing a hummingbird actually land always feels weird.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Seeing a hummingbird actually land always feels weird.

I have several hummingbird feeders and what's weird to me is except for baby hummingbird season they are viscous, territorial little bastards who
have brawls Mike Tyson would be proud of.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Cythereal posted:

I was a librarian.

Too bad you could've opened the Stargate

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my wife we’re not going to pay our fair share for her parents assisted living?

quote:

This whole situation has gotten way out of hand to the point everyone is yelling at everyone and I’m sleeping in the guest bedroom.

My wife’s parents are at the point in their lives where they can no longer live by themselves. Their children decided the best place for them is an assisted living facility. They started to look into different facilities and admittedly, I didn’t help because I figured the 5 adult siblings could handle it and I was never close to my in-laws. They found one that was perfect and my wife was very excited when she told me about it. I was less than thrilled when I found out our contribution will be roughly $3,000 upfront then $5,000 a month.

I immediately question why it cost roughly $15,000 upfront fee and $25,000 a month for 2 people in an assisted living apartment. I admit I sarcastically asked if their apartment is next door to Elon Musk’s parents. She then told me that we’re going to cover the lion’s share of the costs because we make more than her siblings. That was the beginning of a week of texts, phone, and in-person arguments. She argues that her siblings make less money combined than we do and some are single so it would impact them more thus so it’s only fair we pay more. She also argues that this facility is not the best or most expensive, it’s a mid tier one with the best ratings. According to her, anything lower have bad ratings and could put her parents’ safety in jeopardy. My argument is that there are 5 siblings so the costs should be divided equally between the 5 of them. I also argued that if 5 people can’t afford that place, they need to lower their standards. That started a circular argument for hours between cost and safety. I couldn’t take it anymore and in the heat of the moment, I yelled,

“we don’t make more that your brothers and sisters, I make more than all of you which is why you all want me to cover the cost for YOUR parents!”

That was the beginning of my nights sleeping in the guest bedroom. I know as a married couple I shouldn’t consider “mine” and “yours” income but realistically I do make more than all of them and I think it’s unfair to make me pay the largest portion.

What do you all think?

Update

I’m going to answer some questions.

I assumed it was $25,000 a month because I assumed it was split 5 ways between the siblings and our share was $5,000 a month. It’ll be closer to $10,000 a month and our share is $5,000.

Her parents have assets including a house so I was told they don’t qualify for government assistance. I brought up the idea of selling their house but was shot down immediately. The siblings want to keep the house in the family because their great grandfather built it or something.

I can afford to pay it but I don’t want to based on principle. Their division means I’ll be paying $5,000 a month while the youngest brother will be paying only $300 a month and will be living in the house. Their thinking is that he’ll be paying the insurance and taxes on the house so he can’t afford more than $300.

WHAT IS IN THE SAFE!

AITA For Telling My Brother He Walked Himself Into Hole And Having Little Sympathy For Him?

quote:

Throwaway Account

I (24m) have a brother "Dave" (30m) who is engaged to "Tanya" (36f). Now I love my brother, I do. Although if I'm being honest Tanya is WAY out of his league. She's successful, has two bachelor's and a masters, owns her own five bedroom house, two cars, speaks three languages, and is pretty stylish. I honestly don't know how Dave landed her but proposing was one of the smartest things he could've done.

After they got engaged, Dave moved into Tanya's place and in her bedroom closet she has this custom made safe. The only reason I even know about the safe is because Dave told me and a few of his friends about it when we were out at a bar. I would've rode it off as an interesting but unnecessary fact that I didn't need to know. One of Dave's friends however, "Carl" (30m) started to subtly probe for more information. Like: "How big is the safe?" "What's in it?" "Is it one of those fancy voice activated ones?" etc.

Dave admitted to not knowing and when asked Tanya said that it did have important documentation, some cash, etc. but refused to let him see or give him the passcode. Big mistake confessing that because almost everyone started giving Dave a hard time about Tanya not giving him the code, telling him that since they were going to get married he would be entitled to know, and even helped him come up with strategies to get Tanya to give in and give him the code. I spoke up a couple of times saying this didn't sound like a good idea, but was shut down because I wasn't in a relationship. Fair enough. So I left it alone.

Cue the fights between Dave and Tanya about "lack of trust," "no honesty," and "what if there was..." Eventually Tanya agreed to give him the code but under the promise that he would only ever go in there if Tanya passed before him. Dave felt like such a big man when he told us how he "won" and when he invited us all over to his place (Tanya was out of town), Carl and a few others started giving him a hard time again thinking that he lied about Tanya not giving the passcode and wanted him to prove it.

Dave eventually caved to the pressure and took everyone upstairs to open it. I stayed down stairs but I was told what happened. When Dave opened the safe the only thing that was in there was an a note inside saying that if he ever confronted her (Tanya) about this then the relationship would be over, no room for discussion. Carl and the others ragged on him and Dave kicked them all out while I stayed to help clean up.

Dave kept ranting about how hurt and embarrassed he felt and calling Tanya "manipulative" and how toxic she was for setting up secret texts. Dave asked me what I thought about it and was shocked when I calmly said he had it coming. He allowed himself to be bullied by his friends to reveal potentially sensitive information and seeing as how this place is in Tanya's name and that she's making him sign a prenup, I wouldn't test my luck if I was him. Dave called me TA am I?

ETA: Hey everyone I just got back from work and I'm now checking the comments and since a lot of people have been asking/telling me to tell Tanya I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm currently undecided about that. While I do agree that it was a bad idea for my brother to be baited into betraying Tanya's trust, he's still my brother and unlike Tanya I'd have to stay and deal with the fallout. Although, hopefully she'll either 1) Have hidden camera like some of you are theorizing or 2) One of Dave's "friends" will blab and it'll get back to her.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 11, 2023

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

quantumwell posted:

I have several hummingbird feeders and what's weird to me is except for baby hummingbird season they are viscous, territorial little bastards who

there's something about tiny birds. robins are right bastarda too.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

quantumwell posted:

the secret is thats all birds evolved to fight other birds for resources . finch beaks are perfect for cracking eggs of rivals or in captivity their own.

small ghost posted:

there's something about tiny birds. robins are right bastarda too.

hmm finches are also tiny. you might be onto something

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For Telling My Brother He Walked Himself Into Hole And Having Little Sympathy For Him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctPt74CNBA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My boyfriend 24m says that he doesn't want me 23f to initiate sex anymore as he feels emasculated.

quote:

Hey guys. So my boyfriend Duke and I have been dating for 4 months. Our first date was a blind date set up by our friends and I wasn't exactly into him at first. One of my pet peeves is when people chew with their mouth wide open and that's what he did, while talking too. I was annoyed but I stayed because he is very attractive and and has a great sense of humor. Both are some of the key attributes that I look for in a partner. I was still hesitant to go out on a second date, but my friend managed to persuade me. On the second date, I told him that his open mouth chewing bothers me and he right away stopped and never chewed with his mouth open again. A man that listens. Amazing, right?

Anyway, we had sex for the first time on the 5th date. It was a-ma-zing. I don't think the details are relevant here so I'll skip past that. After that, sometimes he'll initiate sex and sometimes I will. We both talked about our boundaries and agreed to do things that were comfortable for the both of us. He actually liked it when I initiated sex, which is supposed to be normal right? Or I guess it seemed like it because last night when we were watching a movie and I started rubbing his dick area he grabbed my wrist and said "We only have sex when I start it". Naturally I was like wtf are you talking about....

He then said that he never liked it when I initiate naughty time and that it makes himself feel emasculated. I was still confused so he continued with "Basically, men are the dominant alpha by birth so I don't like it when a woman is in control. I need to be the only one who initiates sex otherwise I will feel weak and pathetic". (Not his exact words but very close)

I told him that I never heard of any man complaining that it's weak to be hit on by a woman or for a woman to initiate sex and he said that it's because I'm young and still have a lot to learn which is exactly why he should be the alpha?

What the hell does that even mean? I still haven't broken up with him and we did have sex that night, "initiated" by him but since this morning I've been trying to make sense of what he said to no avail. I've asked my friends and they're also confused.

So this is why I've turned to Reddit for some advice. What did he mean by it?

(bolding mine)