Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I’m pretty sure that even the cameras let you go something like 4 mph over the limit. Definitely not 11 lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

leftist heap posted:

cargo trailers are so underrated imo

Everyone would rather buy the pickup truck, instead of a sensible car with a trailer hitch.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Some guy tried to take a left turn against opposing traffic, was pissed that I didn't stop to let him in (I was turning right and had right of way) and asked if I wanted to fight him right there in the street at the next light. There was no one behind me, I didn't delay him in the slightest bit. People are loving insane nowadays

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

going back to the city nerd video on the twin cities, my only issue is his comments is that he thought the perception of certain areas being unsafe for transit was overblown. That's definitely not true, and I think him being male is a part of that. There are definitely women I know here who stopped using transit after covid started, not just general safety issues, but being sexually harassed, fondled, etc. One woman told me that's why she stopped using transit when she lived in Chicago. So the car is a way to protect yourself from that.

obviously more people on transit = more safety, but more safety requires more people, so it's a catch-22

there have been female walkers/joggers in Rochester this summer that have had their breast fondled and/or butts slapped by men. time to get robocop on the case.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some guy tried to take a left turn against opposing traffic, was pissed that I didn't stop to let him in (I was turning right and had right of way) and asked if I wanted to fight him right there in the street at the next light. There was no one behind me, I didn't delay him in the slightest bit. People are loving insane nowadays

insanely normal behavior, drivers truly are the most level-headed of all

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Groda posted:

Everyone would rather buy the pickup truck, instead of a sensible car with a trailer hitch.

A funny car trailer thing is that my girlfriend has an older Honda Fit, and when researching if we could get a hitch specifically so that we wouldn't need my old truck anymore we learned that in the US it's not tow rated and the manual specifically warns you that it will void the warranty and could damage the car. But in Europe it is rated for towing and can actually tow quite a bit for such a small car

Unrelated but related AI is very helpful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I used to commute with my big dog in a flat bed trailer with a crate strapped on (I padded it on the inside). Weirdly he never wanted anything to do with the crate until I attached it to my bike. Then he hopped right in. He’s a good dog.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dog Case posted:

A funny car trailer thing is that my girlfriend has an older Honda Fit, and when researching if we could get a hitch specifically so that we wouldn't need my old truck anymore we learned that in the US it's not tow rated and the manual specifically warns you that it will void the warranty and could damage the car. But in Europe it is rated for towing and can actually tow quite a bit for such a small car

Unrelated but related AI is very helpful

This is broadly true about tons of unibody cars, they're rated to tow 2x-4x as much in Europe than the US.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Twerk from Home posted:

This is broadly true about tons of unibody cars, they're rated to tow 2x-4x as much in Europe than the US.

why is that?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Megamissen posted:

why is that?

Europeans insist on towing an extra car behind them whenever they go on a drive, just in case

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Megamissen posted:

why is that?

Americans are soft, unskilled babies who cannot be trusted to tow much of anything at all

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
It is unacceptable to tow anything heavy enough that prevents you from reaching 70 on an 8% grade.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The real problem is weight of the payload in the vehicle, in Europe it's moving around Europeans, but in America...

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

cat botherer posted:

It is unacceptable to tow anything heavy enough that prevents you from reaching 70 on an 8% grade.

do you not have a specific speed limit for towing in america?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
In Oregon you do not have to title or register trailers with a loaded weight of 1,800 pounds or less meaning there is not yearly fee to own one. Also 1,800 pounds is fairly close to the payload capacity of a standard f150. LOL

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Megamissen posted:

do you not have a specific speed limits in america?

No

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Megamissen posted:

I did a long distance drive recently for the first time in a while and forgot how upsetting it is to have Chevy 2500s blast past you towing a 2 axle camper at 80mph. This happens constantly.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Megamissen posted:

Speed limits are merely a suggestion

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Related to popular tow vehicles in the US:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38238/ram-2500-drivers-have-the-most-duis-more-than-twice-the-national-average-report

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WaryWarren posted:

there have been female walkers/joggers in Rochester this summer that have had their breast fondled and/or butts slapped by men. time to get robocop on the case.

if we could staff up transit orgs enough to have conductors to help old people, chaperone worried patrons, etc on the trains the culture of what goes on in transit would change pretty rapidly and in a much more substantial way than the current system of two cops randomly stepping on a few trains during the day and kicking sleepers awake or whatever before loving off again

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Megamissen posted:

why is that?

Serious guess I think the European requirements for brakes (almost always surge brakes) on everything but the smallest trailers might have something to do with it. I put a junkyard hitch on my 1.8 liter shitbox. I use it mostly for a bike rack but I rent a trailer at a gas station or borrow one from the lumber yard once or twice a year or so when something too big or heavy for the box bike or roof rack needs moving.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

Invalido posted:

Serious guess I think the European requirements for brakes (almost always surge brakes) on everything but the smallest trailers might have something to do with it. I put a junkyard hitch on my 1.8 liter shitbox. I use it mostly for a bike rack but I rent a trailer at a gas station or borrow one from the lumber yard once or twice a year or so when something too big or heavy for the box bike or roof rack needs moving.

Also half of America has zero safety inspections whatsoever, so even if the state mandates trailer brakes there is no practical way to make sure they're in place.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Megamissen posted:

as fast as possible, you gotta go fast

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

I’m pretty sure that even the cameras let you go something like 4 mph over the limit. Definitely not 11 lol.
i read somewhere the NYC cameras only trigger at 10 over? which is insane for urban speeds. ped fatalities more than double from 25 to 35mph.

leftist heap posted:

cargo trailers are so underrated imo
Yes and no. They’re awesome for occasional use but you can’t avoid potholes with them on (same problem trikes and tadpole cargo bikes have), and dynamically they just suck. Plus more rolling resistance. Plus you need a place to store them and a way to secure them. Some of them fold or break down to a pretty compact footprint tho.

I put 55kg of kids on my bullitt and it rides *better* than empty. That’s emphatically not the case with a trailer.

That said they are fit for purpose and infinitely cheaper than a legit cargo bike, so they’re great for weekly shops and occasional bulky errands.

cat botherer posted:

I used to commute with my big dog in a flat bed trailer with a crate strapped on (I padded it on the inside). Weirdly he never wanted anything to do with the crate until I attached it to my bike. Then he hopped right in. He’s a good dog.
turns out pups like going on adventures.

actionjackson posted:

obviously more people on transit = more safety, but more safety requires more people, so it's a catch-22
If you fund transit to the degree you subsidize cars, you get something that’s not the bottom-of-the-barrel last resort trip option for most people.
Exact same thing as bike infra.

If your population isn’t prone to that petty sexual aggression they get away with outside of a transit system, they don’t do it o the bus either.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Aug 10, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

If you fund transit to the degree you subsidize cars, you get something that’s not the bottom-of-the-barrel last resort trip option for most people.
Exact same thing as bike infra.

If your population isn’t prone to that petty sexual aggression they get away with outside of a transit system, they don’t do it o the bus either.

yes exactly

but in our current situation i don't blame her for avoiding transit based on those experiences

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/man-forced-ditch-115k-ford-ev-truck-family-road-trip-chicago-biggest-scam-modern-times.amp

dumb man dumb car dumb article but funny too

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"It's my god-given right to drive thousands of miles nonstop over a weekend!" :bahgawd:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

local man bad with money, planning

mystes
May 31, 2006

aside from buying that truck making no sense in the first place if you want to do roads trips, at $115k it seems like it might be cheaper to also buy a random used gas car to use for road trips just in terms of reducing the mileage you're putting on the truck

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

quote:

$56 to charge his vehicle from 10% to 90%. The charge was good for another 215 miles.

215 miles is 346 km, at 15 L per 100 km for an F-150 that's 52 L of fuel, gas seems to be about $1.50 a liter in Winnipeg, so it would have cost $78 to drive that far in a gas car. Seems to be a pretty good deal if you look up where the chargers are in advance.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

mystes posted:

aside from buying that truck making no sense in the first place if you want to do roads trips, at $115k it seems like it might be cheaper to also buy a random used gas car to use for road trips just in terms of reducing the mileage you're putting on the truck

A firefighter in my neighborhood bought one of those trucks and parks it directly in front of the fire hall, blocking half the lane. I hope a drunk hits it and totals it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like this also shows the problem with electric cars with how americans drive, which is it can replace short trips that ideally wouldn't be by car in the first place, but then it won't work for the ridiculous 1,400 mile road trips, at least without a better fast charger network

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how do you road trip in a pickup? bed cap to keep the bags dry in the rain?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

there's some sort of cover in the picture

mystes
May 31, 2006

It looks like he owns this company: https://altobafreight.ca/

I suspect he does not actually need a pickup truck for work

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
10k on two chargers. what an idiot

mystes
May 31, 2006

he literally owns a freight/logistics company and he couldn't figure out that using an electric vehicle for a long roadtrip without access to chargers might not be a good idea

Troutful
May 31, 2011

actionjackson posted:

going back to the city nerd video on the twin cities, my only issue is his comments is that he thought the perception of certain areas being unsafe for transit was overblown. That's definitely not true, and I think him being male is a part of that. There are definitely women I know here who stopped using transit after covid started, not just general safety issues, but being sexually harassed, fondled, etc. One woman told me that's why she stopped using transit when she lived in Chicago. So the car is a way to protect yourself from that.

Yeah, I vividly remember being sexually harassed and followed off the bus (!) by two grown-rear end men when I was a teenager. Other passengers/the driver did nothing. Nowadays I drive, walk, take the bus, and bike, and I feel safest on the bike because I'm fast and not penned in.

That said, I think a lot of the perception of public transit being unsafe boils down to racism and paranoia about homeless people, which may be why public transit advocates tend to dismiss it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Tonneau covers are super popular among the suburban pickup crowd in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's it! Back to Winnipeg!!!