Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/thorstenbenner/status/1689733761510891520?s=20

Looks like Ukraine may be getting Taurus missiles soon. But they are gimped because Scholz is worried about eScaLATiOn and doesn't trust Ukraine.

Someone should ask John Deere about Ukrainians reprogramming software restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That missile will run Doom by next Wednesday

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Waffle House posted:

Still can't believe they emptied the imperial granaries and stocks for the fiefdoms, but it is of course fair that the serfs did go to war for the Tsar

Yeah but we got free fish!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
gently caress yes my himars time madness shirt arrived

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 10, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

What isotopes are you referring to?

I'm not even sure if there are fissile thorium isotopes. Thorium is a viable source of nuclear fuel because you can breed it into uranium. But there is absolutely not significant portion of fissile isotopes mixed in it before that is done. Thorium cannot be enriched.

229Th. Admittedly there are only traces of it since it has a relatively short half-life (so it has to decay from something more common) and it's only barely fissile. 229 is mostly interesting for the fact that it has a super low energy metastable state 229m, which has such a low transition energy that it emits technically-gamma radiation which is in the UV spectrum when it drops down to 229. I read an article about researchers trying to make a nuclear atomic clock using the energy states of the thorium nucleus, instead of the current atomic clocks we currently have that just use the energy states of the electrons.

TBH I feel like a clock that messes around with the atom's nucleus deserves the title 'atomic clock' a heck of a lot more.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 10, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my Crimea t shirt should be here today too my beer gut supports Ukraine

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/WarFrontline/status/1689751561637941250?s=20

https://twitter.com/jseths/status/1689753633175273472?s=20

https://twitter.com/Majakovsk73/status/1689739988701782017?s=20

another bavovna in moscow

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Maybe it'd be a good thing to not wage a war of imperialism against a neighboring country?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe this is just me but whenever I see tweets and videos of the Russian media talking heads all I can think of when I look at their names is that it looks like they used the Jurassic Park font.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean they're absolutely about to introduce the viewer to some dinosaurs :v:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

god please help me posted:

Maybe it'd be a good thing to not wage a war of imperialism against a neighboring country?

Something something Minsk agreement broken, HATO shouldn't have expanded, muh spheres of influence and historical territory, and millions of people "killed" in Donbass.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe this is just me but whenever I see tweets and videos of the Russian media talking heads all I can think of when I look at their names is that it looks like they used the Jurassic Park font.

Some expense spared.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

clever devushka

(MOBIK WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Ninurta posted:

Someone should ask John Deere about Ukrainians reprogramming software restrictions.
They won't remove the restrictions because of the risk of alienating a key arms supplier and future NATO ally, even if they almost certainly are capable of doing so.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Solovyev is, essentially, a court jester. The Russian viewer can watch this and think, "Finally someone is saying something. Thank God someone cares. Now maybe the big men will do something."

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tunicate posted:

229Th. Admittedly there are only traces of it since it has a relatively short half-life (so it has to decay from something more common) and it's only barely fissile. 229 is mostly interesting for the fact that it has a super low energy metastable state 229m, which has such a low transition energy that it emits technically-gamma radiation which is in the UV spectrum when it drops down to 229. I read an article about researchers trying to make a nuclear atomic clock using the energy states of the thorium nucleus, instead of the current atomic clocks we currently have that just use the energy states of the electrons.

TBH I feel like a clock that messes around with the atom's nucleus deserves the title 'atomic clock' a heck of a lot more.

You do understand how something with a critical mass of three tons and not found in anything but trace quantities isn't "just like in uranium", right?

Thorium is used as nuclear fuel by using Th-232 in a breeder, breeding it into U-233, and then using that. Not by trying to separate out the vanishingly small proportion of 229Th, which might or might not be fissile, and which has a critical mass so high that we don't actually know if it is.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

He used Americium, Thorium, and Tritium and made a neutron source hoping to enrich Thorium to Uranium-233. It was never a reactor. Just really radioactive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

Linkin park voice "MR HAAAAAAAHN

theres a very funny dollop about this fellow as well.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Who made that list?!

Professor Khamenei

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1689622126674710528
Now i've loving seen everything.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

shadow puppet of a posted:

That missile will run Doom by next Wednesday
Knowing DooM hackers, it will be playing the music from E1M1 by yesterday.

edit: or the original programmers of the missile put it in there by default to check the software.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sashimi posted:

They won't remove the restrictions because of the risk of alienating a key arms supplier and future NATO ally, even if they almost certainly are capable of doing so.

Yep, the restriction is there so that if they were ever used outside the parameters they were supplied under, it can't be brushed off as "oops my b, read the map wrong" or "drat we used the wrong missile, we forgot these ones are to be used for X, those ones are for Y."

the popes toes posted:

Solovyev is, essentially, a court jester. The Russian viewer can watch this and think, "Finally someone is saying something. Thank God someone cares. Now maybe the big men will do something."

What does Girkin have to say about that? :v:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

Please Sir. May I have more kasha? And a piece of bread?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

*strangled pickle noises*

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689758278534754304

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689745019127668739

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

It was a smoking accident!

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I think it's this

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-warehouse-near-putins-residence-is-fire-tass-2023-08-10/

Aug 10 (Reuters) - Russia's emergency service said on Thursday a warehouse in Odintsovo, a town to the west of Moscow between Vladimir Putin's official residence and the Vnukovo airport, was on fire, TASS news agency reported.

It did not say how the fire had started in the warehouse, 6.5 kilometers (4 miles) away from Putin's presidential residence in Novo-Ogaryovo.

As of around midnight Moscow time, the size of the fire was 2,000 square meters (21,500 square feet), TASS said citing an emergency service statement.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the popes toes posted:

I envision a room somewhere in the Kremlin where there’s a pile of madlib cards with random words and phrases. And then they just slap them down on the table to get the next day’s propaganda.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 11, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's just a minor cosmetic blemish comrade... We only took him out of the water because he needed new bottom paint anyway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia is pretty clearly extremely desperate and dire. They had to use like four vessels to float this thing and prevent it from sinking period I mean if you could readily make another ship to take its place you definitely wouldn't be doing that so they are absolutely feeling the sanctions and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I mean they how to keep this poo poo afloat and had to keep it running because it is in utterly integral part of the order. I mean imagine what would happen to Russia if something similar to the vessel blocking the suez occured. As in a major impedance to the internal economy such as losing a tanker that's keeping the Russian war effort in Syria afloat.

I mean Syria has been largely forgotten about but there is still budding civil unrest that is constantly having to be quashed by the Assas regime as well as it's Ally the Russian Federation.

I think it's known by Ukraine I doubt all of this is due to just drone footage alone but also United States intelligence and War planning against Russia knowing that these targets are key. I mean the optics factory was clearly manufacturing 155 mm artillery shells and the US knew about it most likely it fed Ukraine the information. Maybe there's another way that they know about this and maybe drone footage is part of it but definitely there are factories in Russia that are on full military tilt and no longer manufacturing civilian goods. Which of course is long-term effect of causing the civilian population to live a worse off life than their previous years. I can foresee this in medicine specifically even though Russia definitely shops limbs off to prevent infection instead of using antibiotics to do so they will still be utilizing medical supplies for the military in general over the civilian populace. Or stealing them. I should say the dedicating supplies to the military does not guarantee that they will actually be utilized by the military but it does guarantee that they will be robbed.

You guys remember that movie what was it called the platform I think? Where they had each platform having different levels of food etc. Well I think that's kind of what you see in the Russian military slash industry as a whole. And the lower the level you get in the military the less scraps are left over for you but right now it seems like the platform of supplies is getting smaller and smaller by the day so more people on the higher levels start to experience a worse off existence. Eventually it is going to get to the point where the platform of supplies is so small that the people in what would be called the Russian middle class are going to be feeling it pretty drastically. And then the upper echelons with goods and services continuing to be pedaled into the black market due to the lack of legal market being able to keep up with the demand. Of course there are smugglers that bring goods into Russia and it is absolutely something you'll see every once in awhile of these groups getting seized and having shitloads of optics or small electronics etc.

I know it's just a tanker and it's not comparable to the level of consumer goods in Russia but seeing that on top of Ukraine strategically bombing Moscow industry I can see that Ukraine is definitely trying to exhaust the Russian populace's hunger for war. Turning the populace against the Putin regime is probably one of the only ways out of this war. I mean Russia is basically said it'll go on indefinitely until they win even if they're pushed out of the country they're still going to be lobbying shells and trying to conduct troop movements over the border. Which is I don't know very strange to think about like a constant we have always been a war with Russia kind of conflict that just continues forever.

If Ukraine is able to neutralize Russia's industry mobilization ability they will absolutely be in a more favorable condition to end the war with all of their territory reunited. I mean at this point Crimea is completely separated from the rest of Russia as well as the rest of Ukraine and thus is a sitting island. The Black Sea fleet is not comfortable running around in the Black Sea especially with Ukraine able to project drone power at them at a pretty quick rate and cause targets to be destroyed deep in Russian ports. I mean sure you can shoot a couple of drones but it seems like one's getting through and blowing a loving ship up every time they do these kind of attacks.

The war has definitely entered a stage where it feels more like a total war on the Ukrainian side, and before this year it did not seem as such. Because they weren't hitting a lot of targets inside of Russia and now that is the focus even by the account of Ukrainian generals. It's always been a form of Total War for Russia as they are specifically bombing civilian targets all the time and specifically trying to inflict as much casualty as possible on the civilian populace. On the Ukraine side they've been somewhat held back by the West which is still clear buy Germany stating that they will modify the missiles they cannot hit targets inside of russia. Again it does not stop Ukraine from utilizing the funding that the West is giving it to create a fighting machine industry to use against Russia domestically. You know I thought about the railway thing for a long time and theorize that this would be the best way to cripple supply but I think Ukraine is going a more heavy option which is to go after the industry of Russia. Whether it be bipartisans or drones blowing things up both of these are very effective ways to stop Russia's ability to wage war in the homefront.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Pontificating rear end posted:

As of around midnight Moscow time, the size of the fire was 2,000 square meters (21,500 square feet), TASS said citing an emergency service statement.

Well I think it's a lot better than office blocks in downtown Moscow. I understand Ukrainians may have a desire to bring the war to Moscow so Russians get to feel what it's like to live in a warzone but I have no confidence in the civilian Russian population doing anything whatsoever about anything.

Warehouses and logistics hubs have a chance to impact supply lines, is still very visible and costs the elite a lot more.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Or if military linked warehouses are unavailable, they should strike oligarchs' residences since the opinion of the general public isn't relevant. Muh Italian villa!!!

Surely the way to undermine the regime is to make life as personally irritating, humiliating and unpleasant as possible for the oligarch class.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
If they do manage to hit Putin's house, I will have a lol.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I hope putin can see the fire from his house and it's the first evidence he's seen that he's done lol

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
You know how a bunch of places put up bollards after vehicle ramming, accidental and intentional became a thing?

I wonder how near-future architecture will incorporate nets/jutting external things forming a maze/etc to thwart drone ieds.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 11, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/thorstenbenner/status/1689733761510891520?s=20

Looks like Ukraine may be getting Taurus missiles soon. But they are gimped because Scholz is worried about eScaLATiOn and doesn't trust Ukraine.

This "Collectibles for display only, not allowed to be used in a real conflict or for self-defense" -poo poo the Swiss and Germans are pulling with their weapons "aid" is both pathetic and loving hilarious.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Footage showing damage to Russia’s “Sig” oil tanker appears online.

https://media.infosec.exchange/infosecmediaeu/media_attachments/files/110/866/813/011/290/177/original/8ae59552bd37b264.mp4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

that's a big fuckin' hole in the hull right there

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

NO SNOKING

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I like the new piercing!