Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

which was the last Cy Young decided by W-L record?

No I mean it is still given significance even though it has absolutely no significance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zoux posted:

No I mean it is still given significance even though it has absolutely no significance.

I think by 2018 it was pretty much done and dusted, when deGrom had a 1.70 ERA with a 10-9 record, because the Mets *just refused to score runs during his starts*, but he was obviously the best pitcher in the NL by a stretch.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

given significance by who? If it's just talking heads and clickbait but doesn't show up in awards voting, then it's hard to care

I think Arrieta in 2015 and Porcello in 2016 are maybe the last ones to win with a ~Winz~ boost, with the latter being more egregious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's always the first listed stat

They should also replace ERA if we're being real but that's just because there are better metrics, ERA actually has some probative value.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
anyone got that pic handy of the gm saying they would take the wins?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

which was the last Cy Young decided by W-L record? They tend to be WAR and/or ERA leaders now

edit: maybe Arrieta in 2015? Voters couldn't seem to decide if they wanted to go with the bWAR and ERA leader (Grienke) or the fWAR and FIP leader (Kershaw) so they split the different and went with the "down the stretch narrative" guy instead

Clemens in 05 for sure, but that's just me being Astros-centric :shobon:

Also he's a shitbag so whatever gently caress 'im

e: I should say Carp, not Clemens, because Carp was the actual winner and Willis had a legit case right there with Clemens

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

he's hitting .305 with a .930 OPS is that good?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

bawfuls posted:

ah the golden era of bad awards voting! Sutcliffe did have quite a run there after the trade, putting up 3.9 bWAR in 150 IP and 20 starts with the Cubs (he was traded on June 13th). But the 19 year old rookie Dwight Gooden threw 218 IP, posted a lower 2.60 ERA, struck out an MLB-best 276, and ended up with 5.5 bWAR on the year.

But Gooden's record was "only" 17-9 so Sutcliffe won with that 16-1 record. That's right, the Cy Young Award basically came down to Pitcher Losses, even worse than the typical Pitcher Wins.

Games with 2 or fewer runs of support:
Gooden - 14
Sutcliffe - 2

Sutcliffe won unanimously, of course.

My favorite thing about Gooden's rookie year is that he set the single-season record for K/9 at the time.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Gooden's 1990 is an odd duck, he went 19-7 but with a 3.83 ERA (only a 98 ERA+). However, his FIP was a league-leading 2.44. He finished fourth in the CYA voting. An incredibly strange route towards both the Wins guys and the stats dorks agreeing that he was really good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1689701150218665984

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1689727461330673664

fuckin lmao

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

:smith:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Overall very happy with how the Astros played the Orioles this series. A drat good road trip against two solid teams.

We've just past the hardest part of the schedule.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Jays are king edgers. Just continuously edging offense nearly every game. Fack.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Kirios posted:

Overall very happy with how the Astros played the Orioles this series. A drat good road trip against two solid teams.

We've just past the hardest part of the schedule.

(proceeds to get swept by OAK and KC)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Incitatus posted:

(proceeds to get swept by OAK and KC)

Wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing has happened

Hell we got swept by the Tigers earlier this season

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

Don't worry - be happy.

Im going to the game Sunday with (some of) my kids - I am going to stalk Orbit until he gives the oldest one a hug.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

The 2016 Cubs got swept by the 68-94 Padres. That's baseball, Suzyn

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

The 2016 Cubs got swept by the 68-94 Padres. That's baseball, Suzyn

The 2017 Astros got swept by the 67-95 White Sox so I'm familiar :shobon:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

The 2017 Astros got swept by the 67-95 White Sox so I'm familiar :shobon:

hmm i wonder if that's the only time the astros have been swept by the white sox

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

DuhSal posted:

Jays are king edgers. Just continuously edging offense nearly every game. Fack.

at least we split the series. but insanely frustrating, to be sure

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

God I'm glad the Cubs traded Javy. He's magic everywhere but at the plate.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

hmm i wonder if that's the only time the astros have been swept by the white sox

rude

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

The amazing thing is he's actually striking out less this year than in the past - 22.7% vs a career 28% rate.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2Z6MWtNHU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Incitatus posted:

anyone got that pic handy of the gm saying they would take the wins?

I know who said it (Bill Smith, former Minnesota Twins GM), and I know the exact context (Livan Hernandez was a fixture in the rotation with an abysmal ERA, while a post-TJS Liriano lit up AAA), but I cannot find the direct quote anywhere.

Also, when Hernandez was released, he was apparently shocked. I read some quote from him acknowledging his terrible ERA, but defending himself on wins. He legitimately believed he was helping the Twins win games. Wins poison the mind.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

Milovan Drecun posted:

I know who said it (Bill Smith, former Minnesota Twins GM), and I know the exact context (Livan Hernandez was a fixture in the rotation with an abysmal ERA, while a post-TJS Liriano lit up AAA), but I cannot find the direct quote anywhere.

Also, when Hernandez was released, he was apparently shocked. I read some quote from him acknowledging his terrible ERA, but defending himself on wins. He legitimately believed he was helping the Twins win games. Wins poison the mind.

Good memories of Livan. I was at that playoff game where he struck out a crazy number of Braves, like 15 or something.

(thanks for reminding me of that :unsmith:)

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Happy to! You reminded me of Livan too, which was just the kick in the shin I needed

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I hate the fact that I still care about pitcher wins.

And to be honest it's like a zeroth-order guess at how good they are. Like James Kaprielian isn't winning ten games even if he doesn't play for Oakland.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Can someone tell if my memory of this is true or if I have just created it for some reason.

I remember Brett Lawrie's 2012 season being nearly worth 8-10 bWAR. Obviously, they have since fixed this. My memory is that this was due to an error in how defensive WAR was being calculated because of the shift, so he was getting credited for making outstanding plays because he wasn't where he "should" be.

I can't find anything about this on Google, and now I am wondering what's wrong with my brain.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Incitatus posted:

Good memories of Livan. I was at that playoff game where he struck out a crazy number of Braves, like 15 or something.

(thanks for reminding me of that :unsmith:)

Kevin Gregg with the strike zone wider than he was

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Can someone tell if my memory of this is true or if I have just created it for some reason.

I remember Brett Lawrie's 2012 season being nearly worth 8-10 bWAR. Obviously, they have since fixed this. My memory is that this was due to an error in how defensive WAR was being calculated because of the shift, so he was getting credited for making outstanding plays because he wasn't where he "should" be.

I can't find anything about this on Google, and now I am wondering what's wrong with my brain.

If i remember correctly he was worth 3 dwar at the all star break and breaking all the models cause of the shift. At some point that season they eliminated shifted defensive plays altogether until they could fix the model.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mdemone posted:

And to be honest it's like a zeroth-order guess at how good they are. Like James Kaprielian isn't winning ten games even if he doesn't play for Oakland.

Cristian Javier is 8-2 and has been dogshit for like 2 months :lol:

In his last 11 starts he's gone 2-1

e: has anyone tried those dugout mug things? Where they make a cup out of a baseball bat (or rather a cup that looks like one and was never a bat I'm sure)

Those look like they're just begging to get knocked over and spilled

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 11, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

God I'm glad the Cubs traded Javy. He's magic everywhere but at the plate.

IMO be glad he had his peak with the Cubs and got the ring. Your boy got paid for his decline and the Cubs aren't on the hook.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Kirios posted:

IMO be glad he had his peak with the Cubs and got the ring. Your boy got paid for his decline and the Cubs aren't on the hook.

It feels bad, man.

The Tigers are absolutely going to be stuck with that deal for the duration, but it's not like they have any SS prospects coming through the pipeline (they do have lovely fielding 3B and possible 2B for days though!)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Javy's just totally lost and his only solution when that happens has ever been to swing his way out of it. It sucks to see particularly given how much of a joy he was when he was playing at his peak.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Javy Baez is a good and honorable player who never cheated and I watched him hit a home run at Wrigley in 2019 which is like 100x better than Fenway so he's good in my book.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mdemone posted:

paul abbot went 17-4 for the m's in 2001 with an ERA of 4.25, FIP of 6.15 and ERA+ of 97

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

Javy's just totally lost and his only solution when that happens has ever been to swing his way out of it. It sucks to see particularly given how much of a joy he was when he was playing at his peak.

I bet it was, but it's hardly surprising to see a player who almost entirely relied on his incredible bat speed hit a brick wall as soon as he lost a small step.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Fix It posted:

paul abbot went 17-4 for the m's in 2001 with an ERA of 4.25, FIP of 6.15 and ERA+ of 97

pfffftttt hahahaha okay I know

On the other hand that doesn't happen often. That is pretty insane though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There have been multiple 20 game winners with an ERA over 4

Jack Morris did it in '92 with Toronto, finished 5th in Cy Young, had a whip of 1.25, a FIP of 4.51, an ERA of 70.

Rick Helling did it with an ERA of 4.41, FIP of 4.34, ERA+ of 109, didn't place. Although he did get mvp votes.