Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

site posted:

"I had nothing to do with this!!!"

To be fair, that was basically what he did - he just added that it was also amazing to the end.

He was like, "I just came on to see what these guys have been accomplishing and I am so blown away. It's going to be the best superhero movie of all time. Amazing job Andrés Muschietti and everyone else!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Gal Gadot keeps recounting stories where people tell her not to worry about her career, and the only WW project that's been announced for the DCU is the HBO show, so until anything actually gets announced either way it's probably best to assume like all things in Hollywood there's a ton of stuff in flux. Plus, like, several DC actors within the past year tried using the press and public sentiment to effectively lobby for their jobs to continue so past a certain point it's all so exhausting to keep up with. I'm not gonna call for anyone's head until I see the press release on Deadline.

Edit: That was fast, in the opposite direction Gal wanted
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-3-not-in-development-1235693545/

Variety posted:

Despite recent comments from Gal Gadot claiming DC heads James Gunn and Peter Safran told her they would develop “Wonder Woman 3” together, sources with knowledge of the situation tell Variety that is not the case. According to the sources, a third “Wonder Woman” film is not in development at DC Studios nor do Gunn and Safran have plans at this time for any “Wonder Woman” project in the new DC Universe other than their previously announced “Paradise Lost” prequel series for Max.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 10, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

I always forget Donnel Logue is the main hench vampire in Blade 1, its such a casting against type. Which is the slubby Irish Guy.

And he had such a great time doing it he went and became a vampire in real life.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Codependent Poster posted:

Blade 2 also gave us the Knowles review so maybe that series should never have been created

Blade 1 gave us a vampire that looked just like Knowles getting burned, superior film

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-3-not-in-development-1235693545/

So about all that Gal Gadot WW stuff…

Turns out it’s not happening

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Aphrodite posted:

Snipes' British accent is terrible. It's like he's not even trying.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lmao

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Nodosaur posted:

So about all that Gal Gadot WW stuff…

Turns out it’s not happening

lol I called it. stranger things have happened, of course, but a WW3 with Gadot really didn’t make any sense in light of the rest of the Gunn/Safran DC strategy, so my instinct was that she was either badly misinformed or bullshitting here

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seems like someone should use the golden lasso on Gal Gadot!

For truth reasons I mean, not because... ah never mind, forget I said anything.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Variety report also corroborated by Collider, fwiw https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/1689745984870604800?s=46&t=vHCQymUfA8QgltN6y1_sjA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Venom movies are bad but supremely entertaining, like Blade 1, unlike Morbius which is bad and sucks, like Blade 3
Blade is still great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMCD5COU2c

Plus it's still the best comic book superhero movie of the 90s, whereas Venom is strictly in the early 2000s model, you could easily imagine it releasing to compete with Daredevil, right down to Eminem on the soundtrack.

Venom also gets some credit for having the villain be a silicon valley techbro who is murdering the san francisco homeless population with impunity and firing any reporter who questions him, which was a bit ahead of its time, and would have been nicely ahead of its time in the 2000s.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Assepoester posted:

Venom also gets some credit for having the villain be a silicon valley techbro who is murdering the san francisco homeless population with impunity and firing any reporter who questions him, which was a bit ahead of its time, and would have been nicely ahead of its time in the 2000s.

Don't forget launching his own dangerous rockets

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t like the Venom movies because that’s not Eddie Brock to me. Eddie Brock isn’t a shlubby crusading loser reporter, he’s a bitter, jilted man who teams up with a ink blot of a bitter, jilted alien who blame everyone else for their lives not going the way they wanted them to, so together they become a shadow of the person they hate. Along the way they manage to stumble their way into being antiheroes instead by learning not to create their own misery anymore.

Eddie Brock needs to begin his story in the shadow of Peter Parker. It’s like doing a Bizarro story without Superman, Metal Sonic without Sonic, etc.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
A Kraven movie without Spiderman

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Nodosaur posted:

I don’t like the Venom movies because that’s not Eddie Brock to me. Eddie Brock isn’t a shlubby crusading loser reporter, he’s a bitter, jilted man who teams up with a ink blot of a bitter, jilted alien who blame everyone else for their lives not going the way they wanted them to, so together they become a shadow of the person they hate. Along the way they manage to stumble their way into being antiheroes instead by learning not to create their own misery anymore.

Eddie Brock needs to begin his story in the shadow of Peter Parker. It’s like doing a Bizarro story without Superman, Metal Sonic without Sonic, etc.

Maybe he just hasn't experienced the appropriate Eddie Brock Canon Event yet.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

We don't even have Venom with the Spidey symbol on his chest.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bunnyofdoom posted:

A Kraven movie without Spiderman

notthegoatseguy posted:

We don't even have Venom with the Spidey symbol on his chest.

But hey, we got a film with the Sinister Six vs. Spider-Man. Although he had never met them before. And it was only Sinister Five.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Nodosaur posted:

Part 2 was also not nearly as far along as Lord and Miller wanted people to believe, and even with the strikes would have taken a long rear end time on account of their horrid production management.

This is the standard knock on them and on the one hand I get it, if you're just some animator low on the totem pole making poo poo money and being forced to do extra work that sucks, and I always agree that workers need to get their due.

On the other hand, there's so much in the industry that is crap, and trying really hard to make something great is really rare, and it takes effort. And yes, when you're on that level, putting in 50% more just to get it 5% better really is worth it. I've worked long enough and on enough projects to know that it ends up being worth it, putting in extra time into something I can be really proud of. (To be clear, I am not in the industry so I may be making general assumptions here I can't back up, it just seems like a parallel.)

When everything is running like a well-oiled machine production-wise (and you're still mistreating your artists) you get Secret Invasion.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

ashpanash posted:

On the other hand, there's so much in the industry that is crap, and trying really hard to make something great is really rare, and it takes effort. And yes, when you're on that level, putting in 50% more just to get it 5% better really is worth it. I've worked long enough and on enough projects to know that it ends up being worth it, putting in extra time into something I can be really proud of. (To be clear, I am not in the industry so I may be making general assumptions here I can't back up, it just seems like a parallel.)

My thoughts are that if you want 50% more from your employees to make a better film, you should pay them 50% more. But again, the main issue seemed to be management. In a collaborative art-form like film, you shouldn't be throwing away weeks worth or effort due to your inability to communicate what you want or make up your mind.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I can't speak generally about overall management issues but throwing away weeks of work on a multi-year project seems completely normal to me. Especially in film, where generally speaking, the vast majority of shot footage ends up on the cutting room floor. You make a thing, then it turns out it'll work better another way. That's a normal creative process. "Making up your mind" is just not how good movies get made.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 11, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fangz posted:

I can't speak generally about overall management issues but throwing away weeks of work on a multi-year project seems completely normal to me. Especially in film, where generally speaking, the vast majority of shot footage ends up on the cutting room floor. You make a thing, then it turns out it'll work better another way. That's a normal creative process. "Making up your mind" is just not how good movies get made.

This is animation, not live action

And then there’s also being almost totally absent past the beginning of production until interviews come along and you join in to reap the praise and awards like one half of the Lord and Miller duo did. One was barely involved, the other was involved in way too much.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Honestly, "weeks of effort" was an assumption on my part, and briefly looking for a quoted metric online just now didn't turn up any specifics. Seems the main complaint from experienced animators on the movie was that it had an unusually large number of revisions which resulted in around 100 animators quitting. Still, I can think of nothing more disheartening than turning in my best work, and having it repeatedly tossed aside.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I finally watched Across the Spider-Verse, and I'll probably like this film a lot more in 3 years when I can finally see how the story ends. As it is, it's just a bunch of very fun scenes sandwiched between some long talky scenes, and no proper resolution, so I found it pretty unsatisfying. Cool animation styles and "oh, it's THAT Spider-Man" can only carry it so far for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There is a resolution to the main story. The overarching story is still unresolved.

But this is Gwen's movie.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The SpiderVerse 2 on home release may not be the version you saw in theaters. People are not happy.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Codependent Poster posted:

There is a resolution to the main story. The overarching story is still unresolved.

But this is Gwen's movie.

Out of interest, what do you define as a "main story" here?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

The SpiderVerse 2 on home release may not be the version you saw in theaters. People are not happy.

Are there enough differences to warrant anger? It’s weird that they did this but it seems like it’s largely Miles having longer braids or swapping a few minor lines of dialogue.

Perhaps I’m just jaded from George Lucas constantly tinkering with Star Wars in my childhood so this feels passé.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joe Fisto posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure in the version I saw Michael McKean was the FBI guy but everyone I talk to says it was Tim Curry?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Sanschel posted:

Are there enough differences to warrant anger? It’s weird that they did this but it seems like it’s largely Miles having longer braids or swapping a few minor lines of dialogue.

Perhaps I’m just jaded from George Lucas constantly tinkering with Star Wars in my childhood so this feels passé.

Maybe spoilers if someone hasn't seen it?

https://www.ign.com/articles/spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-cuts-dialogue-leaving-fans-confused-and-upset

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what is even the point in changing stuff like that

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

Out of interest, what do you define as a "main story" here?

Gwen's journey. She's lost at the start of the film and by the end she firmly knows who she is and what she stands for.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a reason the movie starts and ends with Gwen, yeah

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Gwen's character development mostly wraps up by the end of the film, but apart from the first few minutes the entire plot is Miles Miles Miles. Especially so how the narrative is doled out when they're both in the same room. She's hardly chopped liver, but the protagonist she is not.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I love these characters, but in terms of a character arc Gwen doesn’t exactly have much of one. She starts as a superhero, and finishes as one. There’s a little bit of “found it hard to work as a team, now works as part of a team” in there, but considering how in the first film it’s a group piece that’s not really a major revelatory moment for her, more just a very minor temporary crisis of confidence at most. I’m baffled that anyone sees that as the “main story”.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

??? She had like a total whole thing with her dad???? It's like a lot???

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fangz posted:

??? She had like a total whole thing with her dad???? It's like a lot???

Which was resolved entirely by her being away for a while and then him deciding, offscreen, that he’s not going to be an rear end in a top hat about it after all.

The character development is HIS, not hers, and happens offscreen without any external events guiding it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gwen runs away from home (to another dimension even) because she can't fit in and has a giant fight with her father. She's pretty miserable and the only time she found some happiness was when she was around Miles (and Peter B. and the others, but mostly Miles). She finds a little bit of comfort and some friends while away from home, but she still doesn't fit in with the Spider Society Because to do so, she'd have to be someone else, and she realizes that when they forbid her from seeing Miles and then when they try to lock him up for a bit.

So then she's sent home and has the heart to heart with her father where they finally clear the air between them and Gwen gets the love and support she really needed. She's figured out who she is and what she wants and isn't trying to pretend to be someone else any longer. She's owning who she is, and gets together with the people who helped her get there.

I mean, yeah, the movie open and closes with her and they use the band metaphor to really drive it home. It's why I say this is the main story of this film. Miles is still the main protagonist of the trilogy and so all three are going to feature him, but I feel like the main protagonist of this particular film in the trilogy is Gwen.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty wild interpretations on what a protagonist is. Miguel-2099, Splotch, and Miles are the three driving forces of the plot. Gwen's stance on anything & everything apart from being Miguel's henchman hasn't changed. And the next film hasn't even been written yet, so calling it a trilogy with an entry dedicated to her is... grasping.

It's a film with a lot of characters, but a story about Gwen it is not!

edit: Mister Sweatpants-Parker is a more absurd example of it; despite us seeing all the offscreen character development, life changes, and happily-ever-after that happened to him, we can say that his arc is mostly concluded but the film certainly isn't about him, eh?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 13, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You're way too fixated on the "plot". The driving force of ATSV is Miles' relationship with his dad, and Gwen's relationship with her dad. This would be like saying Into the Spiderverse is about Kingpin.

Miguel and Miles have literally a single conversation - and it's about Miles' dad.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So Miles' dad is the main character? Checks out.