Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

I'd imagine it's CG as in guided missile cruiser and not Coast Guard.

oh ok, was like when did we let puddle pirates up in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Brown-water Navy is kind of a Navy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Brown-water Navy is kind of a Navy.

poo poo is a kind of food too, but yet…

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

CG division is inventorying all of our remaining small arms before we give them to another ship, and I made a joke, asking about how many they're allowed to lose track of before its a problem and their LPO absolutely demolished me with, "you are the last person that should be involved in any way with this process, haven't you learned your lesson?" I'm so glad I didn't actually lose rank over it, I don't know if ide be able to laugh about it then. I told him if it turned out they actually had extras they needed "taken care of", he knew who to find me.

FTs and their ilk are all loving lunkheads

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm starting to wonder why the USN doesn't just pay ship builders to feed the raw materials for some of their ships straight into the recycling shredder.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/navy-wants-to-sideline-its-fast-transport-catamarans-as-pacific-fight-looms

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elviscat posted:

I'm starting to wonder why the USN doesn't just pay ship builders to feed the raw materials for some of their ships straight into the recycling shredder.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/navy-wants-to-sideline-its-fast-transport-catamarans-as-pacific-fight-looms

I “served” on one for a year. Trash. It does have some neat capabilities if everything worked as intended but as delivered? lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

I “served” on one for a year. Trash. It does have some neat capabilities if everything worked as intended but as delivered? lol

Yeah I figured this was the actual reason for the Navy's disinterest in the things just by reading between the lines in that article.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah I figured this was the actual reason for the Navy's disinterest in the things just by reading between the lines in that article.

It's got the same engine and transmission issues as it's trimaran cousin from the same yard, Austal. Also very brittle hull. They torque around something heinous and it was funny to watch people who swear they never get seasick hug the floor at sea state 2 (barely small waves) with a good cross wind. Most people got use to it but it was a really odd sensation feeling the shipper quiver around due to the twin hulls. Mine was in the Med and we were forever running for shore to shelter from a stiff breeze. I have no idea how the ships in the Pacific deal with bad weather.
If they were to sacrifice speed for a heavier steel hull and proper engines the platform would be very useful like a jeep for Navy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My friends always called it the vomit comet

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1688213320132689921
I am not a big mean boat, I am a small cute boat. Pay no attention.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I can see where that would fool weapons that are designed to go for the midships.

Wait

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That camouflage is designed to make it harder to do two things at range: ship identification and ship speed estimation. Even if you ultimately get it right, it can still make it take slightly longer to accomplish those tasks. Generally this kind of camo only works when the ship is a speck on the horizon. It's not meant to fool anyone from the ranges that photo was taken. It's not the worst idea in the world since it only costs a paint job.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

A.o.D. posted:

That camouflage is designed to make it harder to do two things at range: ship identification and ship speed estimation. Even if you ultimately get it right, it can still make it take slightly longer to accomplish those tasks. Generally this kind of camo only works when the ship is a speck on the horizon. It's not meant to fool anyone from the ranges that photo was taken. It's not the worst idea in the world since it only costs a paint job.

I mean, of visual is all you have to go by to calculate target speed, then maybe? But even so, aren't bearings usually shot midships? I understand that it can possibly impact clarification briefly but it takes a lot more than that for deceptive steaming and I'm positive the Russians aren't doing any of the rest of those things.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

I mean, of visual is all you have to go by to calculate target speed, then maybe? But even so, aren't bearings usually shot midships? I understand that it can possibly impact clarification briefly but it takes a lot more than that for deceptive steaming and I'm positive the Russians aren't doing any of the rest of those things.

You're not wrong, but again, all this costs is a coat of paint and doesn't impact ship readiness. Why not do it? Also, some of the systems the Russians are defending against don't have sophisticated electronics. I'm not saying this is a war winning move, just that it's more than just cope paint.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
One of their main threats is "robot jet skis guided by a webcam", so that paint job could actually be helpful.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Right accept it just makes it look shorter so even the radio control jet skis seem to be going for midships. I know the oil tanker just got hit near the engine room, but oh well.

Edit: I guess my whole point in all of this is that if they're just starting to do this now, a year and a half into their 3-day special military operation, it's just one more clue that things are going spectacularly

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 7, 2023

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1689681370795106305?t=BMOEaQ9IGjs82qyIVAUvJw&s=19

:chiefsay:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I don't hate the senior officers, just the senior enlisted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Department heads and up have drank the koolaid so their numbers make sense. JOs hate their lives. Also checks out.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Ah yes. I love working 12+ hours a day with 0 work life balance and no chance of finding a companion.

Because I drank the kool aid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Valley Stared posted:

Ah yes. I love working 12+ hours a day with 0 work life balance and no chance of finding a companion.

Because I drank the kool aid.

:lol: it was in jest. I've never known a single happy department head, yet the department heads, XO, and CO on that ship have a 72% overall for their morale.

I don't judge anyone for taking the SWOCP money and the masters degree. It's not a bad deal, but woof your life for those three years at sea.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Most DH's are O-3s though and thus JOs. Unless the Head's of Departments are happier on carriers, I don't think I've ever seen a DH say that their moral is super high.

...Maybe my current OPS, but he's a also a Nuke and so take that for what it's worth.

My first ship the last CO and XO I had both heavily stressed family and made it a point to go home around 1600 to tell the DHs that they needed to leave too.

Now, I really like my current CO/XO/and P-CO, but even then I know how much stress they're under.

I'll get lucky and probably won't be on a ship for 3 years (I'm probably going to a DESRON after this current ride) and I intend on getting out after that, but gently caress this.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Most DH's are O-3s though and thus JOs. Unless the Head's of Departments are happier on carriers, I don't think I've ever seen a DH say that their moral is super high.

...Maybe my current OPS, but he's a also a Nuke and so take that for what it's worth.

A nuke with high morale sounds like some kind of psycopath.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Navigator and Weapons Officers on submarines are usually pretty happy, but that's just because they're not the Eng.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Replace your sacrificial anode frequently before it burns away completely.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My department head tour was substantially more rewarding than my JO tour but I would never have categorized my morale as higher than like a 4/10 on either tour.

Being a senior in rate E-5 was like an 8/10 though

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My first ship the last CO and XO I had both heavily stressed family and made it a point to go home around 1600 to tell the DHs that they needed to leave too.

Now, I really like my current CO/XO/and P-CO, but even then I know how much stress they're under.

I'll get lucky and probably won't be on a ship for 3 years (I'm probably going to a DESRON after this current ride) and I intend on getting out after that, but gently caress this.

On a small boy climate survey, they're senior officers regardless of the fact that they're just LTs. Otherwise that category would literally just be the XO and CO.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Mr. Nice! posted:

On a small boy climate survey, they're senior officers regardless of the fact that they're just LTs. Otherwise that category would literally just be the XO and CO.

I'm getting that the key to high DH morale is low DIVO morale

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My easiest tour was my second DIVO tour. TRAINO on a FFG. Already qual'd. Already has my TAO and EOOW letters from my first ship. No division to manage. Everyone had to answer to me, even our O-5(sel) CSO. It was great. :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Red Crown posted:

I'm getting that the key to high DH morale is low DIVO morale

There’s only so much morale to go around.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m but a dumb civilian, and one who’s never been to sea on anything larger than a dive boat to boot, but how the hell do you mathematically quantify morale?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrYenko posted:

I’m but a dumb civilian, and one who’s never been to sea on anything larger than a dive boat to boot, but how the hell do you mathematically quantify morale?

They do periodic command climate surveys where they literally ask people "what is your morale level? Very High, High, Neutral, Low, Very Low". Attach a % value to all of those, feed into spreadsheet, make green boxes for the admirals to look at.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They do periodic command climate surveys where they literally ask people "what is your morale level? Very High, High, Neutral, Low, Very Low". Attach a % value to all of those, feed into spreadsheet, make green boxes for the admirals to look at.

I remember the first time I saw a skipper explain the command climate survey results to the squadron. The triad broke out the fancy bar graphs to show where numbers went up and down over the past year. Where the morale numbers went down, to boost morale and reassure the sailors, the command broke down the data and said that the squadron's complaints about the subject were invalid and they could prove it with numbers. It might be shocking to hear, but this presentation did not in fact reassure the sailors and boost morale.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cerekk posted:

My department head tour was substantially more rewarding than my JO tour but I would never have categorized my morale as higher than like a 4/10 on either tour.

Being a senior in rate E-5 was like an 8/10 though

My nuke senior in rate fully qualified e-5 was a -10/10 because we were in the yards gently caress the navy

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

My nuke senior in rate fully qualified e-5 was a -10/10 because we were in the yards gently caress the navy I was a nuke

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I remember the first time I saw a skipper explain the command climate survey results to the squadron. The triad broke out the fancy bar graphs to show where numbers went up and down over the past year. Where the morale numbers went down, to boost morale and reassure the sailors, the command broke down the data and said that the squadron's complaints about the subject were invalid and they could prove it with numbers. It might be shocking to hear, but this presentation did not in fact reassure the sailors and boost morale.

I’ve seen managers do this at a civilian company, it’s loving hilarious.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve seen managers do this at a civilian company, it’s loving hilarious.

I am one of the managers in charge of doing this at my current company.

I just scream at upper management to stop making stupid policies that employees hate instead.

I think my advancement prospects are going to be similar to my Navy ones (non-existent).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Suicides to sailors. It’s just a number.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MrYenko posted:

You don't really do it precisely enough with the survey methods employed for numbers to represent much. But the process does a couple valuable things.

1) The difference between a 25 and and 45 or 65 and 75 doesn't illustrate much, but when the whole crew comes back with an especially low score in one area it indicates something is going on that merits more focus.

2) It primes critical thinking and then solicits feedback. IMO there's little statistical value to many of the responses, but having someone try to weigh which factors are affecting their happiness, then asking them to explain issues or provide recommendations probably helps encourage better engagement with the questions

As for the groupings in the picture, it's hard to trust the data because of biases affecting the groups. More meaningful is comparing the same group over time (how do JOs feel this year vice last, etc) or across other conditions.

Senior leadership is almost always going to report higher for more than the obvious reasons of their better treatment. If the military lifestyle is completely unexpectedly intolerable, you've already had the chance to decide that and separate, so that will bump up scores on average. Leadership may struggle with morale but don't want to hurt the career of fellow leadership--your morale might be low because your Captain sucks or it might be low because of actions outside the Captain's control coming from outside sources. I think senior officers and senior enlisted are more likely to be concerned with the optics of negative responses if they report when the latter is the case. Senior leadership also probably see it as a responsibility to report their own feelings as higher than normal. If the crew sees that 100% of their leaders are miserable, that might affect their confidence. Finally it's generally easier to attribute responses made within senior groupings. If your group is smaller, your responses will seem (and potentially be) less anonymous--even more so if responses are further reduced about demographics.

piL fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crab Dad posted:

Suicides to sailors. It’s just a number.

did they get suicide prevention training?