Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

toggle posted:

lots of posts overnight :ohdear: what has happened to our sweet baby grusch?

He's a drunk with PTSD. So an average veteran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

This is a scandal for some reason

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1689751776453435393?s=46&t=kgTaX1tYWghEHRRIv1TWCg

e: oops I got trolled

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1689752066162372609?s=46&t=kgTaX1tYWghEHRRIv1TWCg

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
Whoops!

e: i got got ill admit it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:owned:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

aaaahahahaha

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ken go on system update

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

ah well nevertheless

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
no!! read the replies!! before it's too late for more of you!!!

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

:gonk:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

We have all been epically owned, I say with tears in my eyes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Winkle-Daddy posted:

my dad was a kid living on a military base when he saw a ufo with his dad. the base commander(? I don't know military) went door to door that night telling everyone they didn't see anything, and if they think they might have, well, you could be discharged or worse for saying you saw something like that! it's been a few years since I've been able to see my granddad, next time I do I was going to try to get a compete story from him to post here...I don't even know which base he was on.

despite this experience my dad has exactly 0 enthusiasm for UFOs and it makes me sad. I have to wait until we all get together and I can talk to my granddad about them instead :(

Tell him to fuckin whistle blow!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's his smugness in his tweets but his *decorum* in the interviews that really piss me off. He knows exactly what he is doing and is fully on board with his intel daddies using him as they please

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

truly something awful

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

When you p'nutted but Danger still suckin' [babydicked ego edition]

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think it's most of the country at this point.

I'd be more sus if Grusch wasn't an alcoholic.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
if nothing else I’m a kind lover

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

I've always been pretty skeptical of people who claim that various agencies are running disinfo campaigns on social media

But for the last couple days r/ufos has been having multiple thousand-karma upvoted back-and-forth arguments about a "orbs abduct an airliner" video that is both completely worthless and obviously fake, and then the news is awash again in stories about a peruvian village or whatever the gently caress being attacked by blurry ten foot tall aliens or some poo poo

Just like when Grusch initially came forward, all anyone heard about was the las vegas alien story

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Disinfo is like THE name of the game though. It's cheap, it's easy, it works.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Aug 11, 2023

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The govt absolutely goes hard on disinfo and a wacky shitcoat, attempts to discredit certain voices, astroturfed deama, always belies some kind of underlying truth that is desired to be marginalized and obscure

Probably are are crash retrievals, the specifics of their nature are ontology breaking in some kind of lovely somehow uninteresting way, but there is enough vested interest in keeping it locked down that some groups are dpubling down on the same gaslighting playbook of the last 3/4 of a century and it sucks + its boring

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Disinfo is like THE name of the game though. It's cheap, it's easy, it works.

also 4chan larper said thats what space force is for, so it all adds up if you ask me

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cactus posted:

I don't understand why a US intelligence agency would put out such a ham-fisted and obviously desperate attack on Grusch that is of course backfiring. I mean, manipulating people and managing public perception is one of the core things they do. They've either mostly successfully contained the biggest secret humanity has ever had kept from it for seven decades, or they've successfully organised the biggest psy-op in human history for whatever reason - either way it points to the fact they know what they're doing with this stuff, they're good at it. Presumably they have access to more information about human psychology, historical record etc than any other group of humans in history along with a well of resources to match. Presumably they know about things like how the Barbara Streisand effect works, and presumably they are aware of how when you attack someone who is doing something they believe is right that only makes them more determined. I also find it very difficult to believe that they wouldn't be aware of the fact that attacking a military vet for having treatment for PTSD and substance abuse only makes them more sympathetic in the eyes of most of the public, as we're seeing with the reaction to the attack.

If it isn't about Grusch, but instead designed to discourage others from coming forward... well again, why would they attempt this by launching such a lame and ineffective attack? What's their angle? Was it just a case of "we don't really have much on him that's going to be too effective... but we can't exactly not retaliate, so... whatever just send the file" ? Or are they half-assing it on purpose for some reason? Which of my assumptions are flawed, what am I missing?

Intelligence guys aren't smart or clever. They succeed because they have a bottomless budget and there's literally nobody to push back

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

The Demilich posted:

When you p'nutted but Danger still suckin' [babydicked ego edition]

When you already PT but she still SD

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

:yeah:

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Riot Bimbo posted:

The govt absolutely goes hard on disinfo and a wacky shitcoat, attempts to discredit certain voices, astroturfed deama, always belies some kind of underlying truth that is desired to be marginalized and obscure
I don't think we can contribute everything we see to the government. It would be easier to run something like this from within a corporation.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What if the government and the aliens are the same

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Riot Bimbo posted:

Probably are are crash retrievals, the specifics of their nature are ontology breaking in some kind of lovely somehow uninteresting way,

aliens are real but they can’t gently caress or suck like pfft why bother

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

The only virtue is novelty and if this avenue cant provide it, it's not worth going down

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Human.Frank posted:

I don't think we can contribute everything we see to the government. It would be easier to run something like this from within a corporation.

What we are seeing may well be a power struggle between old school nationalism and new school corporate dystopia

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

and, to be clear, we’re rooting for old school nationalism here

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Police state corporate dystopia worst of both worlds bullshit

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Brain Curry posted:

they don't need holes cause they mind gently caress each other with telepathy. it's like caligula's throne room in there. just absolute non stop debauchery.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

it was a link to Ken's collaborator's blog but it's so off-topic and personal it felt like I was doxxing a private person rather than linking to the professional work of a journalist tbh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

When you already PT but she still SD

this would be a good addition to the "my girlfriend's husband fights for your freedom" bumper sticker

"you're PTin, she's SDin"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

papersack posted:

they don't need holes cause they mind gently caress each other with telepathy. it's like caligula's throne room in there. just absolute non stop debauchery.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/william-butler-yeats-aleister-crowley-magic-duel

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's being taken as a given in this thread and elsewhere that this is definitely "just" a smear job by somebody (you suggest maybe not a grand conspiracy going back decades, which is more restrained than some). But there are multiple other angles here.

Firstly, it's not actually clear that this information he found was precisely what people were tipping him off about. His description is a little bit rambly, but he mentions that he actually got told a lot of different things about the man, most of them negative, but that something he also got told was to look into ruins with law enforcement.
He did not do FOlA requests on every police station in the world, and says he only checked this one because he knew people in the area.

But this also implies two possibilities - one that somebody suggesting he looked into police records was speaking generally not that they had specific knowledge, and two that if they did have specific knowledge it's also possible it was for something else and this is just what Klippenstein found.

But moving onto the next possibility in the chain, if we take it that this information was known to one or more people, who did know that he might find it and wanted him to, it's not even guaranteed this is "a smear" as in, a deliberate act designed to discredit unjustly. It's also possible that they believed that he should not have kept his security clearance after these incidents, and that it was worth being made public. That's the thrust of the article's thesis statement, so it's worth at least considering this journalist believes it and so too could therefore people he was talking to.

The incident reports not just "he has PTSD" or "he got suicidal" (which seems to be the focus of what people want to talk about), but also that he was violent and that it's implied he got drunk a lot / had a substance abuse problem. His ex-wife said he was violent during the first incident. The second incident occurred after his (new wife told him he was an alcoholic and that he needed to seek help for it.

Forgetting whether or not you or I think one specific thing or another is worth being on the public record, it's definitely not beyond hard to believe somebody thought it was relevant, and that this could have been a motivating factor. Especially somebody who knew Grusch and maybe had insights into his private behaviour that we do not.
Grusch was in the air force and was part of the IC himself, so when we say something like "members of the IC gave information about him", it can just as easily translate to "his former coworkers said X", or "people he interacted a lot with as part of his investigation said Y".

But a lot of people are flattening it down and only want to describe it in terms that sound as nefarious as possible.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Not only was it not a hit job, it was actually correct and good

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The well-known association between drinking a lot and psychotic delusions, and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

... nobody gives a poo poo about any of this because the ICIG found his complaint urgent and credible after speaking to firsthand witnesses. those witnesses are not influenced by Mr. Grusch's struggles with ptsd. that's why this is a hit piece. you've completely taken the bait by trying to ascertain what this could mean for credibility when we already have the answer: nothing. if Grusch's testimony was not accompanied by legislation and ICIG investigations we wouldn't be talking about Grusch except to lump him in with folks like Greer who talk crazy with nothing to show.