Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

To be honest I'm playing a Rogue in AV and if the fool bard just wants to cast Warp Step, zoom in and eat any AoOs, sing a song to buff my attack, and provide flanking for me then I'd be alright with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

But the strength requirement is just "you don't get penalties and lose five less speed while wearing it", and losing that 5' of speed is the part they thought their friend would object to.

I don't think, I know that one cold, just from the things they've said and the obsession they have with Warp Step.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and I think this is a salvageable character. I'm trying to support them in their choice to play a sort of weird support character but I think we need to talk about the taking of Psychic, because that seems really out of line with their trying to heal the party with Medicine.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly it seems like he's trying to do thirty seven different things at once and sucking at all of them.
This. I recall having this discussion about the same player six months ago, and (again) it sounds like trying to apply older edition logic to game where a lot of stuff is fundamentally different, so he's prioritizing the wrong things. +2 Wisdom is...not ideal, but fine for someone spamming DC 15 Medicine checks, especially when it's out of combat and other PCs can Aid more easily. He's also got Soothe and (potentially) Hymn of Healing, so it's not like he's relying entirely on Wisdom for heals. Insisting on the +3 is coming at the expense of Strength and Dex, which means his AC is pitiful unless he's compulsively raising his shield, which is eating into his action economy fairly hard.

There's a bunch of stuff he could do to fix it. Off the top of my head, switching from melee to ranged and switching from an actual shield to cantrip Shield would both bump up his AC and allow for smoother turns (Shoot + Move + Shield is almost always a solid turn, regardless of the situation). If he's an Ancestry with an unarmed attack (Ifrit has a feat that gives one if he doesn't wanna switch to being a Lizardfolk or whatever), then he can still Warp Step in to threaten flanking while not dropping his bow. That's just system talk, though. If he's stuck in his ways, then he's stuck in his ways and it's a player problem.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 11, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lurks With Wolves posted:

But the strength requirement is just "you don't get penalties and lose five less speed while wearing it", and losing that 5' of speed is the part they thought their friend would object to.

5 less speed in exchange for quartering your chance to be critically hit is a good trade. He already has the amped warp step for emergncies, why does he need to go fast the rest of the time? It isn't like he's doing anything valuable with that movement.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Honestly, I think if he's spamming Warp Step, he can get away without 5 ft speed. If he's just using it to get flanking, then assuming 25ft base, he still moves 50ft with it. That's more than enough.

Froghammer posted:

If he's an Ancestry with an unarmed attack (Ifrit has a feat that gives one if he doesn't wanna switch to being a Lizardfolk or whatever), then he can still Warp Step in to threaten flanking while not dropping his bow. That's just system talk, though. If he's stuck in his ways, then he's stuck in his ways and it's a player problem.
Note that this is no longer necessary in 2e. You don't have to have a free hand to make an unarmed attack for the purposes of flanking (even though it's technically named fist).

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

To be honest I'm playing a Rogue in AV and if the fool bard just wants to cast Warp Step, zoom in and eat any AoOs, sing a song to buff my attack, and provide flanking for me then I'd be alright with that.

He's contributing far less to the fight than the game expects a player to, so the math on XP budgets for combats is going to be off.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
if the dude's a big grog he probably figures what he's doing is fine and effective enough since he isn't dying (which surprises me, as somebody playing through the vaults right now i'd expect anybody aggressively flanking without even being defense capped to be getting bounced off the floor all the time)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bards are casters. Ask him if he thinks a caster without good dex should be in melee. If not, politely inform him they shouldn't be. Probably via murder.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

atelier morgan posted:

if the dude's a big grog he probably figures what he's doing is fine and effective enough since he isn't dying (which surprises me, as somebody playing through the vaults right now i'd expect anybody aggressively flanking without even being defense capped to be getting bounced off the floor all the time)

Yeah, I was gonna say, as a fighter in half plate I'm taking some lumps when I try to set up for our swashbuckler; a low AC bard in the tussle sounds like they'd get turned into a stain.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, as a fighter in half plate I'm taking some lumps when I try to set up for our swashbuckler; a low AC bard in the tussle sounds like they'd get turned into a stain.

yeah i only get away with doing it sometimes by virtue of drakeheart mutagen and a shield

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

That was my experience as a shield champion as well.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Summon Fey is a 1st level spell. If he wants to provide flanking bonuses so badly, that's what he should be doing

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Seems like that bard player would be better served playing a thaumaturge or investigator with bard multiclass. Mirror implement would be basically perfect for what he wants to do. Thaum with bard multiclass actually sounds really fuckin good now that I think about it

Summoners are also great support characters since their action economy and breadth are crazy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My groggy D&D loving Bard continues to give me The Sads, literally spending every round after the first (where he casts Inspire Courage) blowing his entire turn to Raise A Shield and do a Warp Step to some weird-rear end place on the map to "help with flanking".

The two problems appear to be: that he's totally internalized the brain-dead 5e paradigm of "oh it's my turn, I do the thing I always do and run the formula" and that's what he's trying to do, just do the same thing every round after the first, and secondly even after being hollered at by the party Wizard (now Kineticist) for trying to make a high INT low CHA Bard, he still hosed his stats and took a 16 WIS so that he could "be the party healer" but this of course means he has dogshit DEX and STR, low AC that he has to Raise a Shield just to get to baseline, and can't actually make a decent melee or ranged attack. Very frustrating and not leaving me with a lot of options here, the party already has a relatively foolish Swashbuckler who loves to run away from his fellow melee Ranger and hang his rear end out there, then spends his next turn running back into the fold, so the Bard's suboptimal turns are just compounding the problem. The dude is precious about his characters so I can't really talk to him about it, and I'm not sure just murdering the party will get me what I want but at this point I guess I'm going to have to. Bit of a bummer but oh well.

how can this guy love D&D and have no idea how to play a bard, which more or less works exactly like it does in D&D?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
The aid rules kinda confuse me, and I think I've been fudging them.

Like, recently - I was running beginner's box and the party got to the final barracks room of kobolds before the bosses by going around through the xulguths, one of which 1-shot crit someone unconcious. Anyway, they're aware of the encounter ahead of time, notice and bypass the mermaid trap, and wind up getting set up to come at the unaware kobolds from two sides.

As they burst in the front one of the players yodels to the one behind the blocked alternative entrance, and I A. insist they actually do this, and then give them a hero point. B. have them roll a performance check to notify the person doing this and also inspire / aid them. They pass. I give the person a +1 circumstance modifier.

That +1 modifier (and a +2 from the altars to the str check) winds up making the difference, and he then burst into the room, kool-aid man style.

This of course trivialized the encounter, but hey, it was fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Buffer posted:

My amateur understanding of RAW is that the player has to spend 1 action to notify that they want to Aid, and then use their reaction to roll the relevant skill/attack check to see if they succeed.

The way I run that as a GM is that if they're spending their reaction on an Aid they can do the relevant roll on their turn and I may/may not withhold the results to add some suspense, and then proceed as normal. Sometimes the player wants to use another reaction that round and I have to remind them that they spent it on Aid, and so far no one has had an issue with that.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Buffer posted:

Like, recently - I was running beginner's box and the party got to the final barracks room of kobolds before the bosses by going around through the xulguths, one of which 1-shot crit someone unconcious. Anyway, they're aware of the encounter ahead of time, notice and bypass the mermaid trap, and wind up getting set up to come at the unaware kobolds from two sides.

As they burst in the front one of the players yodels to the one behind the blocked alternative entrance, and I A. insist they actually do this, and then give them a hero point. B. have them roll a performance check to notify the person doing this and also inspire / aid them. They pass. I give the person a +1 circumstance modifier.

That +1 modifier (and a +2 from the altars to the str check) winds up making the difference, and he then burst into the room, kool-aid man style.

This of course trivialized the encounter, but hey, it was fun.

Honestly, this is fine enough that I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at it in practice. I don't quite recall if the altar gives a status or circumstance bonus.

Usually, I'd probably say that it'd have to help in a more direct fashion, though (barring One for All or similar). In this particular case, I'd probably have them roll Athletics for initiative and to determine if they bust through immediately or need to take actions on their turn.

In terms of actual actions, basically it's a specific type of Ready, except instead of readying an action (and costing two actions), you ready help for your ally.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Because the DC is fixed, Aid is very bad at lower levels, and you should just fudge it.

Pure opinion here but: much like Recall Knowledge, getting a failure on Aid at low levels sort of breaks the game's action economy. One Action + Reaction for a +1 on another player's roll is perfectly balanced and fine, maybe a skitch overpowered at low levels when a lot of classes just don't have Reactions anyways and so it's functionally costing one Action. However, having to roll against DC 20 at level 1 - where there's a very decent chance you're going to do absolutely nothing, or even get a critical fail and apply a penalty - completely busts it open and makes it feel like a garbage choice. It takes it from cool and good to "don't use this until you have Expert proficiency and can hand out +2s like they're nothing".

I suspect it will get changed in the Remaster.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I will say Aid becomes amazing at higher levels, my Magus often gets an Aid for +3 from a Swashbuckler, which significantly ups the crit rate.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Just make Aid a standard DC for you level IMO

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does Aid work with helping with Strikes?

Do you have to be adjacent to the ally? To the enemy? etc?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

How does Aid work with helping with Strikes?

Do you have to be adjacent to the ally? To the enemy? etc?
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=842

Archives of Nethys posted:

Similarly, a character usually needs to be next to their ally or a foe to Aid the ally in attacking the foe.

"Usually", so GM fiat if they want to allow ranged aid.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I don't require a roll and just give +1/2/3/4 based on proficiency because the aid check isn't interesting for 80% of your career and definitely isn't as cool as whatever check you were actually aiding.

Rolling slows down play at all levels and shuts down teamwork at low levels for zero benefit.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Burning a reaction makes it pretty bad for a fighter to aid someone anyway.

Fighter, Rogue, Champion, and a lot of martial classes as well.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

xK1 posted:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=842

"Usually", so GM fiat if they want to allow ranged aid.

we have an investigator with a gun our GM allows to do covering fire via aid when their strategic analysis shows they'd miss (and they don't have anything better to do) and it hasn't been unbalanced or op so i'd recommend it

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
How do you guys normally handle abitrating interact actions for things like pulling out wands or scrolls, or shuffling items around to free up hands? The RAW honestly seem excessively fiddly unless I'm misunderstanding something.

According to this table (https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=194), let's imagine a character holding a Greataxe who wants to pull out a potion and drink it. From what I can tell, they need to:

-Drop their weapon entirely or release one hand from the grip (free action)
-Remove their backpack (interact)
-Pull the potion out of the pack (interact)
-Drink the potion (interact)

Their turn is over

-Next turn, pick up their weapon or change their grip to be holding it in 2 hands again (interact, maybe two interacts??)
-Their backpack is still on the floor in that space and I refuse to believe any GM has ever actually tracked this in a real game

Scoss fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 13, 2023

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I think the fiddly extra action thing is supposed to just make it matter whether you're wearing something or have it in your pack. I think you should be able to wear the potion instead of having it in your pack? But otherwise yeah it takes a decent number of actions to use an item if you don't have some feature to improve it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Okay, I see now that there is a kind of intermediate storage category of "worn" items in your pockets and such.

If I wanted to simplify things just a bit, would these houserules invite abuse, compete with existing features players might be expected to aim for, or otherwise get me in trouble? Is there a good reason to strictly monitor free hands?

-Stow a held item with the same interact action you use to pull out a worn item (I always hate the idea of dropping weapons or wands or something on the ground in the middle of a fight)
-Allow hands holding shields or the second hand holding a 2hander to count as a free hand, at the cost of not being able to use the shield/weapon on the same turn

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Scoss posted:

Okay, I see now that there is a kind of intermediate storage category of "worn" items in your pockets and such.

If I wanted to simplify things just a bit, would these houserules invite abuse, compete with existing features players might be expected to aim for, or otherwise get me in trouble? Is there a good reason to strictly monitor free hands?

-Stow a held item with the same interact action you use to pull out a worn item (I always hate the idea of dropping weapons or wands or something on the ground in the middle of a fight)
-Allow hands holding shields or the second hand holding a 2hander to count as a free hand, at the cost of not being able to use the shield/weapon on the same turn

The first is pretty standard, the second is actually a possible problem because that takes away a balance aspect of 2H vs 1H. See the Nimble Shield Hand feat for instance.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Always played fine in my experience. Players appreciate the hands rules when their enemy spends an action putting their hand back on their great sword and ends their turn.

Never really felt complicated and I like that there’s a cost to accessing stowed items. Consumables can be really strong and picking out the thing from the sack should come at an action cost.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 13, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just assume they've got the potion on their belt or whatever. Backpack is for stuff you won't need in combat ever.

So Release Grip (free action), Grab Potion (interact), Drink Potion (interact), Regrip to Two Hands (interact).

Another reason that I think my favorite type of Fighter is one-handed, you get all the athletic maneuvers and you can easily roll into battle with a potion in your hand already.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Just assume they've got the potion on their belt or whatever. Backpack is for stuff you won't need in combat ever.

So Release Grip (free action), Grab Potion (interact), Drink Potion (interact), Regrip to Two Hands (interact).

Another reason that I think my favorite type of Fighter is one-handed, you get all the athletic maneuvers and you can easily roll into battle with a potion in your hand already.

it seems comically bizarre to walk into battle with a potion in one hand and have that be optimal

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Taciturn Tactician posted:

it seems comically bizarre to walk into battle with a potion in one hand and have that be optimal

That's not optimal if you're playing the grabby type of Fighter.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's...not really that optimal? You're making some hard tradeoffs there - can't use maneuvers until you use/stash the pot, can't use shields, can't use parry skills (because that requires a free hand), you're stuck with a 1h weapon, and you really better need that potion and not another one.

Still, has its uses.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
True optimum is Gnoll with Crunch or a Lizardfolk with Sharp Fangs for a 1d8 Bite attack, one free hand, one hand holding a potion (or shield), getting the free hand benefits, standard damage for a 1-handed weapon, and then holding a useful item in your other hand

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Instructions unclear, continuing to use a greatsword on my pixie.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Can you cast Magic Weapon on your bite attack to give yourself magic +1 striking teeth?

More importantly would that make you chew food faster?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Can you cast Magic Weapon on your bite attack to give yourself magic +1 striking teeth?

More importantly would that make you chew food faster?

No but you can cast magic fang.

(Also Handwraps of mighty blows work just fine.)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Chevy Slyme posted:

No but you can cast magic fang.

(Also Handwraps of mighty blows work just fine.)

They really thought of everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Piell posted:

True optimum is Gnoll with Crunch or a Lizardfolk with Sharp Fangs for a 1d8 Bite attack, one free hand, one hand holding a potion (or shield), getting the free hand benefits, standard damage for a 1-handed weapon, and then holding a useful item in your other hand

I actually did this, making a Lizardfolk Champion/Oracle with a shield in our dual-class game. It was very entertaining.