Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Here's another "I'm about to 100% this game except for one achievement": there's a minigame in Ghost Trick that's basically just sliding block puzzles, and I am absolute rear end at those. :argh:

SkeletonHero posted:

More games should be like Deadly Premonition and have sidequest rewards just be things that effectively turn off annoying parts of the game.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While Ys IX may have drab graphics and a weird political bent, it does have the decency to be 9 gig in size.

I welcome Hitman for wisely cutting what was 160gb for two games, into a trilogy which packs everything in 60-70 gigs.

What is Ark's excuse for being 400 gigs in addition to being generally poo poo?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I welcome Hitman for wisely cutting what was 160gb for two games, into a trilogy which packs everything in 60-70 gigs.

How did they manage that, anyways? Or was it just "Hitman and Hitman 2 had a lot of duplicate assets, and Hitman 3 the devs just went "Haaaaaaang on a second" and just had one directory for assets and had everything pull from that"?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, exactly. Games can provide outlets for things other than pure power fantasies. Even as someone who thinks games often don't go nearly hard enough at delivering effective power fantasies, I don't have a problem with other types of experiences.

The real issue seems to boil down to survival games being the new hotness for a while, leading to cargo culting of surface level elements without any deeper introspection on their design. Minecraft's gotta be patient zero for loads of tedious survival and crafting elements.
God I hate crafting in almost every single game with crafting "elements". Actual crafting games I love but most with-crafting-elements are like the worst aspects of collectibles and "what if I need it later" consumable management all rolled into one.

Completely ruined alien isolation for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Randalor posted:

How did they manage that, anyways? Or was it just "Hitman and Hitman 2 had a lot of duplicate assets, and Hitman 3 the devs just went "Haaaaaaang on a second" and just had one directory for assets and had everything pull from that"?

Still can't believe they did this. Here's my ranking of the crowbars in the series:

Crowbar #1: #1
Crowbar #2: #2
Crowbar #3: #3

Ok well when I actually see the list I guess I could have just said they got progressively worse.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Splicer posted:

God I hate crafting in almost every single game with crafting "elements". Actual crafting games I love but most with-crafting-elements are like the worst aspects of collectibles and "what if I need it later" consumable management all rolled into one.

Completely ruined alien isolation for me.

Crafting in games is like cooking in real life.

"We were gonna go out to eat, you wanna join?"
"Buy a meal? I can make something better for less money."

*makes something worse for more money*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm happy that Baldur's Gate 3 simplified D:OS2's often confusing and overly complicated crafting system by just giving you a menu where you can occasionally smash some crap together and get a potion out of it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Horrifically bad asset management and optimization.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Randalor posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-hitman-3s-devs-shrank-the-entire-trilogys-install-size-by-over-80gb/

The most relevant paragraphs for your question:
With Hitman 1 and 2, IO didn't apply compression as broadly "to avoid performance issues on low-spec hardware." The game only has so much CPU power to work with, so decompressing data has to be weighed against everything else it's doing, like running the AI and processing your inputs. The trade-off, then, is to skip compressing some files, resulting in a larger install but better performing game. By Hitman 3, engine improvements have lightened the load in other areas, freeing up more processing cycles to spend on compression.

Another big improvement comes from how IO is importing the data from Hitman 1. Because that game was built episodically, every episode had to have all the code and assets needed to work standalone. "In Hitman 3, we're handling the way we give access to the legacy titles in a different way, which makes it easier for us to aggressively de-duplicate these shared resources," De Pascale said.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

De-duplicate is a funny word. Reminds me how in Microsoft programs the opposite of Hide is Unhide instead of the proper but perhaps too theatrical "Reveal!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh okay, so a combination of what I guessed and technology getting better. Neat!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lobok posted:

De-duplicate is a funny word. Reminds me how in Microsoft programs the opposite of Hide is Unhide instead of the proper but perhaps too theatrical "Reveal!"

Or the less theatrical "Show".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What the gently caress

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They loaded it up with two of every file

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

It's a bad game made by devs who thought introducing a game breaking paid expansion to a game that was actively using "it's just early access, don't be too harsh" as a perpetual and constant defense was a good idea.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm happy that Baldur's Gate 3 simplified D:OS2's often confusing and overly complicated crafting system by just giving you a menu where you can occasionally smash some crap together and get a potion out of it.

There's a lot to like about The Witcher 3 but god drat the amount of junk in your inventory and the rudimentary crafting options really loving sucked.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Can you still make lockpicks by combining a key with a bar of soap?

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a lot to like about The Witcher 3 but god drat the amount of junk in your inventory and the rudimentary crafting options really loving sucked.

On the other hand, pink armor for Geralt.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I'm entirely willing to chalk this up to me not playing crpgs, but I had a real dummy moment in BG3.

Early in the game I shot a rock suspended on a rope down to break open a cracked slab and access a crypt. Super cool, the rock was highlighted as a target and it was a fun alternate way in.

A little later I come across a potential party member suspended in a cage. There is a bow on the ground, but the cage is right at the top of the screen, seemingly pretty high, and the cage itself doesn't highlight--the character does. Having accidentally killed a party member before, I didn't want to kill her or ruin reputation and lock myself out of something so instead I start looking around for a way to get up higher.

Quest completed, you have abandoned X.

I go back, no sign of her. Gone. And of course no autosave...

Googling it, I WAS supposed to shoot her down and I guess I just totally misread the situation but now I'm nervous what else I might accidentally gently caress up and miss by being a total novice to these types of games. :ohdear:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Im not sure why so many enemies just didn’t drop actual useful items, like if I’m gonna either sell [insert vendor trash armament here] or break it down for crafting components, just give me gold or the materials to cut out the middleman. I guess having the option to equip good armor is nice, but then A: why have loving crafting to begin with? and B: most enemy armaments suck poo poo past the early game because most enemies are brigands/poorly equipped deserters.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Waste of Breath posted:

I'm entirely willing to chalk this up to me not playing crpgs, but I had a real dummy moment in BG3.

Early in the game I shot a rock suspended on a rope down to break open a cracked slab and access a crypt. Super cool, the rock was highlighted as a target and it was a fun alternate way in.

A little later I come across a potential party member suspended in a cage. There is a bow on the ground, but the cage is right at the top of the screen, seemingly pretty high, and the cage itself doesn't highlight--the character does. Having accidentally killed a party member before, I didn't want to kill her or ruin reputation and lock myself out of something so instead I start looking around for a way to get up higher.

Googling it, I WAS supposed to shoot her down and I guess I just totally misread the situation but now I'm nervous what else I might accidentally gently caress up and miss by being a total novice to these types of games. :ohdear:

You're going to miss a shitload. I havent played BG3 yet because im waiting for the weekend, but in my experience with CRPGs, it's fully intentional, because you can spin up a new character and have a completely different playthrough your second, third, etc. time around

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Sherlock Holmes Chapter One this chemical analysis mini game is absolute dog poo poo and I hate it. But it also lets me know I’ve matured as a human being because I have no qualms about just cheating it and moving on

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Exciting Mac BG3 update for no one except me: game install is actually more like 80GB, no idea why the requirements say almost double that at 150.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Maybe it just came in really big boxes. I don't know how Macs work.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fil5000 posted:

Or the less theatrical "Show".
I've never seen a theatrical show

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oldpainless posted:

I've never seen a theatrical show
More like oldshowless

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

It's a bit fucky since the target highlighting isn't always great. What the game mostly expected you to do was shoot the platform at the bottom of the cage she's in. It can be a bit tricky to target from most camera angles

But yeah, like bawk said, you're fully expected to miss stuff and that's fine. There are a few mutually exclusive paths further down the line as well. Don't worry about it and just go with the flow.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Yeah I was on a controller for that and I knew that there would be a breakable bit with a token amount of 'HP' to throw a rock at because that was how the concrete block worked, but I had to really fight the camera to actually give me an angle on it.

I also dropped that concrete block directly onto my own head because I didn't realize my dude would move within range on his own if you tried throwing an object from too far away lmao.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Last Celebration posted:

Im not sure why so many enemies just didn’t drop actual useful items, like if I’m gonna either sell [insert vendor trash armament here] or break it down for crafting components, just give me gold or the materials to cut out the middleman. I guess having the option to equip good armor is nice, but then A: why have loving crafting to begin with? and B: most enemy armaments suck poo poo past the early game because most enemies are brigands/poorly equipped deserters.

Agreed. I'm a huge proponent of "less is more" in most of these games and would much prefer far fewer components along with rarer drops that actually mean something. Needing 57 milkweeds and 33 dandelions is just tedious.

The Resiednt Evil series is a good example of how to best handle this I think.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Even worse, in Witcher 3 if you want to break something down it costs money.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Even worse, in Witcher 3 if you want to break something down it costs money.

It should never cost anything to break it down

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. I'm a huge proponent of "less is more" in most of these games and would much prefer far fewer components along with rarer drops that actually mean something. Needing 57 milkweeds and 33 dandelions is just tedious.

The Resiednt Evil series is a good example of how to best handle this I think.
My ideal "with crafting elements" system has maybe 6 actual "ingredients" and thing else breaks down into and is made from those ingredients (Oh look some lovely armour, that's three metals and two fabrics, going to use some of that for a pipebomb). Special items needed to craft limited availability gear would be used in exactly one kind of blueprint (for consumables and most gear) or else can be re-extracted from whatever you crafted them into if you change your mind later (super special gear).

Splicer has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Aug 11, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

(not trying to poo poo on your post here btw)

My preferred crafting system is where you break down items into currency by selling them to a vendor and then use that currency to 'craft' from a selection of items at those vendors.

I think every game should ask itself what it gains by having a crafting system instead of just money. Because money is already a system that contains a lot of the benefits of a crafting system by acting as a way to reward players with something more generic they can then turn into the specific things they want.

Especially when the crafting resources are things I get the same way I would get money. If I'm cutting down trees and mining ore veins and poo poo then sure I can see why you're giving me timber and iron ore, but if I'm getting everything from chests and enemy drops all this random cruft you're giving me could just be cold hard cash.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you always get crafting resources from the same place - e.g. chests in an enemy camp or just enemy drops - and the quality is based on your level or how long you've played the game, then yeah, it should basically just be money.

if you have to go make specific decisions to get specific resources - e.g. brewing a bunch of poison resist potions to go mine bog iron in the swamps, versus developing fire resistance to mine sulphur in the volcano - then that's where having different types makes sense and makes a difference imo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Plus there's the whole production line possibility, where (for example) animal hides need to be processed to leather before they can be made into gloves or whatever.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

You know those instant cake mixes where you add an egg and some water? Theres a fairly well known story that those originally included powdered egg, but they redid the mix without the egg and people liked it a lot better. Not because the cake actually tasted better but because they felt more like they'd done something, by adding an ingredient they were actually following a recipe and baking rather than just mixing so they felt like the cake was theirs rather than betty crockers or whoever. I wonder if there is an element of that in the popularity of crafting in games. Like sure, I could use the +3 sword the last boss dropped, and the games probably balanced around the expectation that I do, but if instead I spend a while hunting down scorpions in the desert I could craft this +4 sword that also inflicts poison, then I'll be ahead of the curve because I am a clever problem solver. (In reality its the difference between killing the boss in 3 minutes or 2 minutes 47 seconds but I'd only know that if I tried with both weapons). I guess that would be a bigger factor in games like Oblivion where the enchanting system can be cracked right open to do actually crazy poo poo, but still.

I dont much mind a crafting system either way in most games, but one thing I loath is where the game doesnt make it clear what is vendor trash and what is crafting materials. It always leads to me either holding a bunch of high value (but useless) items well past the point where I really could have used the money they are worth or getting a blueprint/recipe that needs something I dont have because I've been immediately selling it on the whole game not realising it would have a use. One or both of the Horizon games did this, where there were some rare high value drops from the robot dinosaurs, but it turns out that certain ones were used for crafting high level armour and weapons.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I like Monster Hunter crafting because you make armor that looks like the big monster you just killed

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

kazil posted:

I like Monster Hunter crafting because you make armor that looks like the big monster you just killed

A combination of this or you look like you've put on a wetsuit, and then you combine the two so you have, like, dragon pauldrons and slick rubber pants.

Wild Hearts is fun, but it's really lacking in the armor design. It's....pretty nice, fairly elegant, but lacks the sort of stuff you can find in MH.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SiKboy posted:

I dont much mind a crafting system either way in most games, but one thing I loath is where the game doesnt make it clear what is vendor trash and what is crafting materials. It always leads to me either holding a bunch of high value (but useless) items well past the point where I really could have used the money they are worth or getting a blueprint/recipe that needs something I dont have because I've been immediately selling it on the whole game not realising it would have a use. One or both of the Horizon games did this, where there were some rare high value drops from the robot dinosaurs, but it turns out that certain ones were used for crafting high level armour and weapons.
It's this, and also when you get a blueprint for the ultranuke mark V and oh no it needs 5 blasting caps and you've only got 2 because you blew 95% of the game's blasting caps on crafting lovely tier 1 mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I hate when you get stuff like 3/5 of something you need just playing the game but those 3 are the only freebies and the last 2 are gonna be grindy as hell to get. I think the last game to make me feel like that was Breath of the Wild and upgrading the armors. Yeah I'm not farming all those ancient cores to upgrade the ancient set further now that I've exhausted all the ones I can loot from shrines.