Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

Where are these photoshoots taking place? What is going on in the background??? Did he lean a painting of blue lines up against unfinished concrete????

Have you never seen an industrial chique flat in a former workshop floor? Given the asking price of lego sets these days, that kind of luxury home is probably typical for their target group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Anybody mind some nostalgia posting?

Ma Agronox asked me to finally get rid of some of the stuff I still have at her house, and part of that is a big box full of legos. I figured I would build whatever I could one last time before getting rid of it.

So, here is 1990's Forestmen's Crossing, #6071!

Two things surprised me: one, the instructions for old lego sets are pretty terrible, worse than IKEA's. They don't actually tell you what you need to do, you just have to look at step 3, for instance, compare it to step 4, find the differences, and build them. And there's no parts list, so I don't know what you were supposed to do prior to the internet if you wanted to make sure you had everything beforehand. Two, lego is impressively durable; I got this stuff as a purchase from an older cousin who aged out of it, and having been through two separate 11-year-old boys (and then being in a basement since 1998) this stuff has held up really well. I guess some scratches and scuffs on some of the panels but otherwise it's in nice shape.

I guess this is a fairly boring set. I do like the "rope" bridge and the Robin Hood looking minifigs though.

Anyway, I'll post more as I build them if anyone's interested. Have a couple of pirate ships and castles.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not a boring set. In fact, a quite desirable set. I think it is one of the most valuable of the non-castle Castle sets.

E: looking at BL, it's a $200 set now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
As a sheltered kid I had no idea what was going on with the forestlady's torso print and always thought she was wearing some kind of white vest.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Agronox posted:

Anybody mind some nostalgia posting?

Ma Agronox asked me to finally get rid of some of the stuff I still have at her house, and part of that is a big box full of legos. I figured I would build whatever I could one last time before getting rid of it.

So, here is 1990's Forestmen's Crossing, #6071!

Two things surprised me: one, the instructions for old lego sets are pretty terrible, worse than IKEA's. They don't actually tell you what you need to do, you just have to look at step 3, for instance, compare it to step 4, find the differences, and build them. And there's no parts list, so I don't know what you were supposed to do prior to the internet if you wanted to make sure you had everything beforehand. Two, lego is impressively durable; I got this stuff as a purchase from an older cousin who aged out of it, and having been through two separate 11-year-old boys (and then being in a basement since 1998) this stuff has held up really well. I guess some scratches and scuffs on some of the panels but otherwise it's in nice shape.

I guess this is a fairly boring set. I do like the "rope" bridge and the Robin Hood looking minifigs though.

Anyway, I'll post more as I build them if anyone's interested. Have a couple of pirate ships and castles.

I love all the old sets, I have 6077. That female minifig you have is worth $75 per bricklink.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I definitely had that set but I don't remember anything about booby corset minifig.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Junkenstein posted:

booby corset minifig.

I saw them open up for YES back in the late 80's

Veotax
May 16, 2006

moparacker posted:

New Elementary agrees with you. Their ability to nitpick pictures seems to indicate there are no stickers.

3rd and 4th pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvw9TKOh4lC/?img_index=1

Going to risk saying too much, but since it's been announced I'm sure it's fine, there's no stickers in the set.

I looked it up in the database earlier today, couldn't find a sticker sheet and there were tons of printed elements, though I didn't exhaustively look at every part.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Concorde is great, and I get why they’re using the original Aerospatiale livery, but man it should have come as a set with BA/AF livery stickers. The one case where stickers would be the right choice, just make whichever airline you want!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

kefkafloyd posted:

The Concorde is great, and I get why they’re using the original Aerospatiale livery, but man it should have come as a set with BA/AF livery stickers. The one case where stickers would be the right choice, just make whichever airline you want!

I've no doubt that someone will try and recreate the short-lived Pepsi Concorde, and/or the Braniff International livery.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/braniff-airways-was-the-only-us-airline-to-operate-the-concorde-supersonic-airliner-but-at-subsonic-speeds/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That story is wild.
Less than a year of service, rotating pilots, multiple registration cards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HootTheOwl posted:

That story is wild.
Less than a year of service, rotating pilots, multiple registration cards.

Yeah, and it reminded me of the short-lived Singapore Airlines service as well.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Maybe https://steindrucker.com/lego-set-buendel or someone similar will make a printed set for different liveries.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
One day a few years ago my mom casually dropped that she rode the Concorde across the Atlantic. This is very out of character for our family's social...everything. I told her she might be misremembering, but then she went and got a matchbook and the safety brochure from it. A summary of the story:

-she was 18 and was leaving Avon, SD for the first time in her life on her way to Turkey, where my dad was stationed
-she didn't know what the big deal was
-she thought the plane was small and "creepy looking"
-she still doesn't know what the big deal was

Well that's my Concorde story

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Flyinglemur posted:

One day a few years ago my mom casually dropped that she rode the Concorde across the Atlantic. This is very out of character for our family's social...everything. I told her she might be misremembering, but then she went and got a matchbook and the safety brochure from it. A summary of the story:

-she was 18 and was leaving Avon, SD for the first time in her life on her way to Turkey, where my dad was stationed
-she didn't know what the big deal was
-she thought the plane was small and "creepy looking"
-she still doesn't know what the big deal was

Well that's my Concorde story

She is 100% the only person from Avon, of all places, to have flown the Concorde.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

wheatpuppy posted:

She is 100% the only person from Avon, of all places, to have flown the Concorde.

She got to operate the BQQ-5 sonar system while out to sea on a 688 too. These days, in her late 70's, she enjoys What We Do In The Shadows, RuPaul's Drag Race, Ink Master and other shows that most God Fearing Dakotans would never watch.

And she put together the Lego Sunflowers.

Mom's kind of a bad rear end

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Dang the Concorde is huge

(Or the pilot is tiny)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Um, can anyone spot me 200 bucks?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Finished the Ferrari Pista yesterday. I really like the way it turned out

Had a lot of leftover pieces

I guess it's cool that I have an extra shock absorber but some of those parts weren't extra. They weren't in this set at all. The two dark gray wheel pieces, the big black gear and the Chrome pieces were nowhere to be found. I got the set that didn't come with the remote control feature so maybe those go along with that? Either way, All in all it was a fairly enjoyable build.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

trevorreznik posted:

I love all the old sets, I have 6077. That female minifig you have is worth $75 per bricklink.

The baseplate is expensive as hell too. I have a copy of this set that is missing it and I can't bring myself to spring for it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We just moved into a new place with more space, so I'll soon be able to build this thing again..

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mutata posted:

We just moved into a new place with more space, so I'll soon be able to build this thing again..

Broke: Scoffing at the 400 dollar roller coaster
Woke: Slavering over the idea of buying a 400 dollar monorail remake

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's only 568 pieces! I believe it was around $120 when I bought it? That sticks out in my head as I had to earn the money and pay for it myself.

I have all the other Unitron and Spyrius sets too, so I can't set up a full display if I wanted to, heh.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HootTheOwl posted:

Broke: Scoffing at the 400 dollar roller coaster
Woke: Slavering over the idea of buying a 400 dollar monorail remake

This is me.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

local Amazon had a bundle deal with 2 for the price of one on a few (small and kinda not great) sets

I am now the proud owner of:

60383 ev car
60312 police car
42147 technic dump truck
42132 technic "motorcycle"

for 4€ each, you could do worse I guess, but I need to find some good alternate builds at least for the motorcycle because hoo boy is that thing ugly

gschmidl posted:

This is me.

I would (and will) gobble up any remake of sets from my childhood, no questions asked.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel like it is just a matter of time until they make a new monorail. It would involve some different sort of tracks, though. IIRC, the original tracks were licensed from some other company or something like that. So LEGO couldn't make them if they wanted.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

TorakFade posted:

42132 technic "motorcycle"

for 4€ each, you could do worse I guess, but I need to find some good alternate builds at least for the motorcycle because hoo boy is that thing ugly
This was legit one of my favorite sets from 2022. I love mine and still have it together!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Zwille posted:

Dang the Concorde is huge

(Or the pilot is tiny)

I have not been this excited about Lego since I was ???

One of my earliest visceral memories is seeing the Concorde land and take off at Christchurch airport and I am super excited for this set!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Carbohydrates posted:

This was legit one of my favorite sets from 2022. I love mine and still have it together!

that's good to hear! if the build is fun, I might not mind the aesthetics (which might still be better than expected since until now I only saw stock photos of it)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was curious and yeah...it's ugly.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

I was curious and yeah...it's ugly.
Ha, I still like it.

For those curious who want more than a stock image, RacingBrick covered this one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think Concorde is one of those things like iPhone where they don't want you to precede it with 'the' at any time. Like it's a person's name, I guess. Probably to appease French sensitivities or something. There's a stupid fun fact for ya.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm going to build the Concorde out of legos.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think Concorde is one of those things like iPhone where they don't want you to precede it with 'the' at any time. Like it's a person's name, I guess. Probably to appease French sensitivities or something. There's a stupid fun fact for ya.

It’s actually British sensibilities! BA would always use Concorde without the “the,” but AF would use “le Concorde.”

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

deoju posted:

I'm going to build the Concorde out of legos.

I’m gonna save some money and get the Lepin the Ccnccrde

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Flipperwaldt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUoNnX045A&t=12s

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

It’s actually British sensibilities! BA would always use Concorde without the “the,” but AF would use “le Concorde.”

don't gender a noun French challenge, difficulty: Impossible

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After building the new Eldorado I decided I wanted to rebuild PoBB. I had to remove NC Markets, which was...fun? I always rebag my sets in # order. So going backwards over 6000+ pieces was a lot.

OTOH, going back to PoBB has been great. It's so nice to be able to pull out a set, find the bag number, pour it out and go.

Here is a mini-review of bag 1 of PoBB:

I generally really enjoy the early bags of big sets. Especially for a set like this where you are building up the base from scratch. And this one shines in that the beach/water are relaxing colors and are interesting shapes. There are a couple of crabs and, iirc, resting points for part of the frigate. Towards the end of the bag are two palm trees using the newer leaves and technic parts for the trunk. And then at the end is a Tiki-type statue that is set in the sand at an angle. An homage to the Islanders sets from the 90s.

All in all, a very satisfying bag 1.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

don't gender a noun French challenge, difficulty: Impossible

Don't, like, most languages gender everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Waltzing Along posted:

After building the new Eldorado I decided I wanted to rebuild PoBB.

drat you and your PoBB posting! By that I mean every time you post about it I go look on ebay for deals and just impulse bought a complete used one off of eBay for MSRP. I'm drat excited for it!