Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Did Nintendo invent the expansion pack?

It was some PC game IIRC. Saw a TikTok a while back (the other day but my memory is fried) going into the history of DLC and it talked about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kheldarn posted:

Did you know that Super Mario Bros. 2 is actually a reskin of a Japanese game called "Doki Doki Panic" as the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was too hard for America?

Yes, that went a long way toward explaining why I liked it so much better than SMB1

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mario was truly the Dark Souls of its time.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Actually playing through Japanese SMB2/US "lost levels" now on Switch Online.

Better graphics, but full of bullshit. Like "series of blind moving platforms jumps into a surprise blind short distance jump that you'd have no way to know was coming unless you'd seen it before lol Mario's dead" bullshit.

super happy save states exist now

Yes "git gud" I know I know

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I remember early 90s PC games having expansion packs. Wing Commander 1 had it in 91 (?). All the Origin games had that.
X-Wing had it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Did Nintendo invent the expansion pack?

I do know that Sega invented Blast Processing™.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gorilla Radio posted:

Actually playing through Japanese SMB2/US "lost levels" now on Switch Online.

Better graphics, but full of bullshit. Like "series of blind moving platforms jumps into a surprise blind short distance jump that you'd have no way to know was coming unless you'd seen it before lol Mario's dead" bullshit.

super happy save states exist now

Yes "git gud" I know I know

Save states are a blessing. Going back to play old nintendo games makes it obvious just how bullshit so much of game design used to be. I'm not a child with unlimited time anymore, so I'd rather not spend several hours nailing a pixel perfect jump, or grinding out a rare but necessary item, when I can just hack that poo poo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

Save states are a blessing. Going back to play old nintendo games makes it obvious just how bullshit so much of game design used to be. I'm not a child with unlimited time anymore, so I'd rather not spend several hours nailing a pixel perfect jump, or grinding out a rare but necessary item, when I can just hack that poo poo

That was mostly a function of the lack of storage space. Games were actually pretty short if played straight through, so having to start over and master tricky bits made the game take longer and gave it more perceived value.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Arivia posted:

good news they're in bg3

Aw man, nobody better gently caress that hamster.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

mysterious frankie posted:

Aw man, nobody better gently caress that hamster.

Existing canon: Boo is sentient and intelligent

Larian canon: Boo is capable of consent, and he’s a top

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. But with BG it's fine because the third game is totally disconnected, not even in the same rule system, and turn based rather than pausable real time.

Also, while the first two are real good, the first is an extremely rough start. A wizard is likely to start out with literally two HP and spell slots. Lots of people get merced by the very first encounter: a lone guy with a knife.

That's why you play a human and do 3 levels of fighter and then dual class to caster. That way you'll start your level 1 caster with a pile of HP and a bunch of level 2/3 friends. The only trick to is to use your fighter weapon specialization slots on weapons you will still be able to use as a caster. There's a good war hammer early on, so specialize in war hammers if you are going fighter/cleric.

Alternately go rogue for 2 or 3 levels and then dual class to caster. If you dump as many dumb rogue skill points as possible into pick locks at first level you can pick most of the locks in the inn and random chests around town, collect a few hundred gold worth of stuff, sell that poo poo and buy slightly better starting equipment from the innkeeper.

Either way it will make your early levels much smoother. Since each class needs a different number of XP to go up levels, and fighters and rogues are the fastest, you should hit level 3 when most of the party are level 2. And then you'll reach 3/3 and unlock all your class features by the time the rest of them are level 4. AD&D XP tables are wild.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I haven’t even figured out how to play the ‘endgame’ of Diablo iv aside from rolling a new character. I’m starting to realize why I never jumped on the baulders gate bandwagon.

I’ve also never played DnD, but I’m enjoying the memes :D

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Great, way to spoil yoship's euro fanfest tshirt reveal

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For me, the really interesting thing about the game that was eventually released as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is that there was a small, local pizza joint just up the road from where I lived, and they had the game set up as a cocktail table game.

I thought it was just regular Super Mario Bros. It was the 8-bit pixelated game I (thought I) knew, so I sat down, dropped a quarter in, and you can image my surprise when I got a Poison Mushroom instead of a normal one.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

I thought it was just regular Super Mario Bros. It was the 8-bit pixelated game I (thought I) knew, so I sat down, dropped a quarter in, and you can image my surprise when I got a Poison Mushroom instead of a normal one.

You should never eat wild mushrooms unless you are 100% sure how to identify them and what they are. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sentient Data posted:

Great, way to spoil yoship's euro fanfest tshirt reveal

If this is the fantasy shirt, does that mean were getting a Xenogears crossover?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:rock:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

He rose in a halfshell, turtle power

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

He rose in a half shell

Ah poo poo you did it

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dr_rat posted:

You should never eat wild mushrooms unless you are 100% sure how to identify them and what they are. :colbert:

Don't you know how hard it is to do a spore print in 8-bit?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tree Bucket posted:

nice

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

:worship:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tree Bucket posted:

gently caress. :magical:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tree Bucket posted:

:golfclap: Well done.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Kheldarn posted:

Did you know that Super Mario Bros. 2 is actually a reskin of a Japanese game called "Doki Doki Panic" as the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was too hard for America?

Anyone who lurked this site in the mid 2000s or with a reg date before 2009 should know this poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I know that now, but as a kid, seeing "Mario" go in a completely different and very interesting direction for their second outing, and then going right back for the third was some whiplash.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Can't sleep. Thinking of Zot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I swear some of the poo poo they put on graphic card boxes back in the day actually made me resist getting into PC games.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

At least in Super Mario All-Stars, you could save on an individual level basis for SMB2J. I don’t think save states would be necessary at that point, I was able to finish the game without warps that way. If not for that though, yeah, save-scumming is on the table, christ

dialhforhero posted:

Anyone who lurked this site in the mid 2000s or with a reg date before 2009 should know this poo poo.

I’m pretty sure hopeful that was posted as a joke, in the way that people always sarcastically rush breathlessly in to point out what is basic knowledge to anyone our age who was into video games back then

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

We used to rent NES games from the local video rental place each weekend and generally we would rent it, beat it immediately, play it several more times, and take it back the next day.

We rented two or three movies and often a game each weekend from them. They held a contest where the winner got free rentals for one year and my family won. The first time we rented our free movies the guy that owned it falsely claimed we didn’t bring a video back in and we couldn’t rent anymore until we returned it and paid late fees. It was the most transparent way to lie his way out of giving us our prize and lose a very regular customer.

Also he accidentally gave us Flesh Gordon instead of Flash Gordon one time, which, ha

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

root beer posted:

At least in Super Mario All-Stars, you could save on an individual level basis for SMB2J. I don’t think save states would be necessary at that point, I was able to finish the game without warps that way. If not for that though, yeah, save-scumming is on the table, christ

I’m pretty sure hopeful that was posted as a joke, in the way that people always sarcastically rush breathlessly in to point out what is basic knowledge to anyone our age who was into video games back then

Yeah I almost replied with something about Aragorn kicking the helmet or Wojtek the bear

But yeah, another game renter here. My brother and I were very used to the idea that we would only realistically get about 2-3 hours to play a given game, so finding out later that most other kids would beat games was an :aaaaa: discovery for me. To me a game was something that had infinite hours of playability and increasing difficulty far outlasting anybody's ability to play it.

That is, until SMB2 which we actually beat and it was like the accomplishment of a lifetime

We made VHS recordings of the few ending scenes we could reach because we thought it was arcane knowledge

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Aug 11, 2023

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The first and only game me and my friends beat was Giana Sisters. We were not even aware of Mario Bros et al. at the time nor for many years later.

e: I guess this might qualify as a FP

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

I swear some of the poo poo they put on graphic card boxes back in the day actually made me resist getting into PC games.

They always make them extra horny. Like even that weird goblin thing is trying to strike a pose.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

gbut posted:

The first and only game me and my friends beat was Giana Sisters. We were not even aware of Mario Bros et al. at the time nor for many years later.

Looking that game up it's fascinating both for what it ripped from Super Mario Brothers and what it changed, like the wider array of fire flower equivalent powerups and the base super mushroom equivalent apparently being from sweet little girl to badass punk of the same height. But the "mangled corpses of enemies stay on the screen after defeat" change sticks out most somehow.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

gbut posted:

drat :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo they're still making sequels