Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Darryl from the office finally snapped huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hmm yes, let’s concentrate the means of lethal force in the hands of the class of entity that’s only just a teensy bit more unaccountable than Uncle Sam, what could go wrong

I was mainly banking on having the "accidental discharges are a sign of good gunhandling practices" crowd taking themselves out of the running by loving up the blackpowder handling, but yeah. Some issues may apply.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

SerthVarnee posted:

"accidental discharges are a sign of good gunhandling practices"

**Nods vigorously while taking notes.**

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1689703859936006144?t=UgECQeTwPDf84RUMuBXeZA&s=19

We might not have to wait until May* for Mattering!

*Except we probably will as he'll pull his party trick and DOJ will struggle to figure out how to get ahead of it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

We might not have to wait until May* for Mattering!

*Except we probably will as he'll pull his party trick and DOJ will struggle to figure out how to get ahead of it.

Not even much of a party trick. A blazingly fast federal trial generally starts about a year after charges are filed. There are some bog-standard federal trials still waiting to start that were charged back in 2020. The speedy trial act says it's supposed to be 100 days, but everyone involved on both sides usually just lols at that. That might be different if the defendant is locked up or something.

From the analysis I've read, the J6 case is also heavily complex with 3 weeks slated for the prosecution and shitloads of transcripts and records for the defense to read. The classified docs case is the simple one (hey, you have documents that you shouldn't, you know you had them, and you hosed around with subpoenas).

But then again, the J6 judge could shuffle things along as she appears to be doing, while Cannon drags things out for every defense lawyer statement or motion. Apparently none of her notes or actions have been chudgy yet - her questions back to the DOJ were apparently legit. But that probably won't stick around long.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
She might also be scared by the smack-down she received from the superior courts after the special master debacle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What would she be scared of? Getting fired?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Torrannor posted:

She might also be scared by the smack-down she received from the superior courts after the special master debacle.

Cannon isn't scared of poo poo and she's going to be as capricious as gently caress throughout the document trial.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I haven't seen it discussed here yet but yesterday, a major fire swept through the town of Lahaina on Maui, forcing people to flee by whatever means possible (including jumping into the ocean.) At least 36 people are dead, the town is completely destroyed, and the survivors have lost everything. I know one person who lived there with their mother, and while they escaped, they've lost every single thing they've owned. The destruction, and the speed that it occurred, are just terrifying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/08/09/maui-wildfires-deaths-lahaina-hawaii/

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I’m honestly surprised she hasn’t found some technicality to have it tossed yet. She’s never even tried to hide her fealty to trump. Our best hopes are J6 and Georgia indictments

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah honestly stop trying to find some secret mattering that will cause Cannon to get thrown off the bench, and instead laugh at the fact she's a terrible judge and her case has basically become a sideshow for now.

She's obviously very pissed off that she doesn't get to weigh in on the Jan 6th case and if you don't find that funny, idk what to tell you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If anything, take joy in how much the J6 and other cases are pissing off Cannon. She's realizing her case is not the life saver for Trump it might have been alone.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

I haven't seen it discussed here yet but yesterday, a major fire swept through the town of Lahaina on Maui, forcing people to flee by whatever means possible (including jumping into the ocean.) At least 36 people are dead, the town is completely destroyed, and the survivors have lost everything. I know one person who lived there with their mother, and while they escaped, they've lost every single thing they've owned. The destruction, and the speed that it occurred, are just terrifying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/08/09/maui-wildfires-deaths-lahaina-hawaii/

I was extremely surprised how brown it was when we ran by there. Currently wondering if they send us back for humanitarian when we drop off our cargo. Everything burned to the ground, including the boats. People were jumping in the water to avoid the flames.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I got married there almost 15 years ago. The wife and I were considering a visit for our anniversary. This news kinda made the decision to not go for us.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As someone who just moved to Oahu this year and was this close to travelling to Maui with my partner on Tuesday (Ended up going to Kauai instead simply due to cheaper hotel prices), the whole thing just feels very surreal.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As someone who just moved to Oahu this year and was this close to travelling to Maui with my partner on Tuesday (Ended up going to Kauai instead simply due to cheaper hotel prices), the whole thing just feels very surreal.

Oh hey another recent transplant. That wind was insane, I'm glad we made it on Oahu without anything nasty happening.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cannon seems just stupid enough to have ideas like “I should move fast to get Trump in jail but just for a short while to take the wind out of the other cases”.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Arrath posted:

Oh hey another recent transplant. That wind was insane, I'm glad we made it on Oahu without anything nasty happening.

Yeah even on Kauia it was wild, we went to see Waimea Canyon and it felt like being sandblasted.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Was just there a couple weeks ago and it's extremely surreal to realize all the stuff we saw and took pictures of no longer exists.

One thing we noticed and commented on while we were out there was how much everything on the west end of the island was wholly dependent on Honoapiilani Highway. There were constantly emergency vehicles hauling rear end along it to get out and back from central Maui, not to mention all the garbage trucks and other utility vehicles. Once the highway is cut everything north and west is pretty much on its own including a ton of giant tourist resorts up in Kaanapali and Napili. We didn't drive on the northern 340 back route but heard from the locals it was even more twisty and dangerous than Hana Highway. I can't imagine trying to run an emergency response or evacuation effort that route.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Someone I went to HS with lived in Lahaina. They had a house and a business there.

He said it was terrifying how fast it moved. A couple of people on Facebook said things like “Glad you guys are okay, the news made it sound horrible” and he responded by saying “There is just no way they could make it sound worse than it really was.”

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lahaina before/after

:stare:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
drat that sucks. There was a wildfire out here earlier that my family had to evacuate for. The whole thing was quite hairraising and awful, even with the house surviving.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Apparently my mother has a friend who's on cruise at Lahaina thru haven't heard from...

:ohdear:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

it’s bad, non-paywall link to coverage: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/0...&smid=url-share

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

conspiracy twitter is already capitalizing on this with claims that Oprah started the fires to clear the island for her mega-bunker

super normal country we got here

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

conspiracy twitter is already capitalizing on this with claims that Oprah started the fires to clear the island for her mega-bunker

super normal country we got here

Are we sure it wasn't a space laser misfire?

#JustAskingQuestions

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Why oprah, and not Zuckerberg, who tried to evict people off an entire island?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

god please help me posted:

Uh it sounds like he tried to help them?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

god please help me posted:

:allears:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I just learned Johnny Hardwick, aka Dale in KotH, passed away yesterday. Rest in power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaFiTMyuq1A&t=20s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
David Weiss has been appointed Special Counsel in his continuing investigation into Hunter Biden according to a presser just now by Merrick Garland.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

David Weiss has been appointed Special Counsel in his continuing investigation into Hunter Biden according to a presser just now by Merrick Garland.
Excellent. I need to know more about his massive schlong.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Was all like "uh wat" until a motion came out. Supposedly the plea deal between DOJ and Hunter is dead - was trending that way when DOJ/Hunter couldn't agree what was actually IN the plea deal. Weiss is in charge of Delaware, and the poo poo went down in DC or California, so he needs Special Counsel status to charge outside his district or some poo poo. That venue weirdness was going to be waived by Hunter in the plea deal, so no plea deal, no waived venue dispute.

Naturally, to Republicans this is proof it was all corrupt, because it was already corrupt, which makes this more corrupt, because of penis envy.

Also, ignore all the "sweetheart deal" poo poo on the plea deal that the "judge blew up". The judge noted that the plea deal didn't actually make any sense - DOJ and Hunter couldn't agree if it took future charges off the table or not.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 11, 2023

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Finally going to topple the Clinton Biden crime family

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ZaleskiLuke/status/1689944421314203649?t=RV66I3YjwKEw8LD8Va6ghA&s=19

He's looking a little animatronic.

It will never not be funny to me that the GOP candidate for president continues to use a gay anthem as his hype music.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Darryl from the office finally snapped huh

I always thought it would be Dwight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Sam Bankman-Fried's bail just got revoked as there is probable cause that he has twice tampered with witnesses and has otherwise violated the court's orders using VPNs and such allegedly to watch football.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sam Bankman-Fried's bail just got revoked as there is probable cause that he has twice tampered with witnesses and has otherwise violated the court's orders using VPNs and such allegedly to watch football.

Like soccer football or football football because getting your bail revoked to watch a pre-season NFL game would be the most pathetic thing ever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Like soccer football or football football because getting your bail revoked to watch a pre-season NFL game would be the most pathetic thing ever

It was an NFL playoff game last year. He was using VPNs to circumvent court rules and tamper with poo poo and his excuse was he was doing it so he could use his bahamas gamepass to watch the nationally televised playoff games. The judge kindof scoffed at the excuse, but regardless of veracity the excuse admits violation of the court's orders. The felony tampering with a witness probable cause is much more severe and will probably result in additional criminal charges.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/ZaleskiLuke/status/1689944421314203649?t=RV66I3YjwKEw8LD8Va6ghA&s=19

He's looking a little animatronic.

It will never not be funny to me that the GOP candidate for president continues to use a gay anthem as his hype music.

I always thought it would be Dwight.

Well a gay anthem would go pretty well with that "jerking off two invisible dicks" move in this clip that he always does. Has been a while since he did accordion hands I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was an NFL playoff game last year. He was using VPNs to circumvent court rules and tamper with poo poo and his excuse was he was doing it so he could use his bahamas gamepass to watch the nationally televised playoff games. The judge kindof scoffed at the excuse, but regardless of veracity the excuse admits violation of the court's orders. The felony tampering with a witness probable cause is much more severe and will probably result in additional criminal charges.

Apparently during some of this poo poo SBF leaked the applelady's diary to the New York Times too.

What a fuckin idiot. Normal people would decide that the games are over after getting arrested by Bahamian police. The threat of going back to American jail you'd think would be enough to get the gently caress on his best behavior.

SBF gonna SBF

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1690084652805996544?t=PL1CFPvtaCvymnUfn7lHyw&s=19