Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Enos Cabell posted:

I hate phone apps for stuff like that, way quicker to just pull out the Citi card. One scan to start transaction then tap it on the pad to complete it, no pulling out the phone opening an app navigating to a QR code.

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm not anti-tech, I'm anti lazily implemented tech.

:same:

It's like in It's Always Sunny when they try to do that sort of thing and it's just a big complicated clusterfuck. Maybe it was the St. Paddy's Day episode where they end up kidnapping all of their customers and dropping them off in the woods.

Actually, the last episode I saw of the new season was pretty much Glenn Howerton's story about his loving awful Tesla that he couldn't get into because he needed cell service and he was in a parking garage the the app wouldn't connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Now if they let me scan poo poo in my cart with my phone and just walk past the registers and out the door, I'd install whatever the gently caress they wanted.

I'm not anti-tech, I'm anti lazily implemented tech.

Let's be honest, they're not as good as Sam's Club in this way

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

namlosh posted:

This man speaks truth…

I got this thing just for the gas cashback, but it's great in general too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hark posted:

I got this thing just for the gas cashback, but it's great in general too.

I'm already at $300 back for next year and this year isn't even over!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

that's a whole lotta 2 gs!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Eating dog and drink right now

Nice thing about Oregon pumping gas law change is that the lineup to get gas is like 30% of what it used to be, which also means that people are in and out of the Costco parking lot faster, so there's more spaces. I dunno how that works but it does.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

The Hambulance posted:

As an old, I really don't like using my phone for anything, but the phone app saved my rear end on two occasions where I drove to Costco and didn't realize I left my wallet at home until checkout (the door people all know me :v: )

Can you pay with the phone app? I’ve only used it as a membership card for entry!

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
You can add your Costco Citi card if you have one. Sucks they won't let you add any other card.

I use Apple Wallet to store my cards and paid that way.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
If you were to stock a modest home bar from the 'co, what would you put in it?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jongga kimchi

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Phraggah posted:

the kirkland alcohol covers all the bar staples

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I like the Four Roses bourbon for mixed drinks. I don't mind the Kirkland rum, but a lot of people don't care for it. Kirkland vodka and tequila both seemed fine, but I don't drink a lot of those.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

halokiller posted:

This is the easiest way and it’s all pretty good for the price too

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kirkland spiced rum is vile.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kirkland silver tequila is alright, decent enough for margaritas :cheers:

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

halokiller posted:

One day *mattis yahoo

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I was in New Mexico recently and it was the first time I’d seen liquor at the Costco. It was so much cheaper than what I’m used to, I bought some Laphroaig and Hendrick’s for like 30% less than the cost in NC.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mons Hubris posted:

I was in New Mexico recently and it was the first time I’d seen liquor at the Costco. It was so much cheaper than what I’m used to, I bought some Laphroaig and Hendrick’s for like 30% less than the cost in NC.

NC has a state liquor monopoly that artificially jacks up the prices in general. This isn't a Costco thing, it's a North Carolina thing. Ever notice how all your liquor stores are ABC stores?

Try driving to South Carolina or Tennessee, depending on where you are (VA is another state liquor monopoly state), you'll see similar low prices.

This isn't to say Costco liquor isn't somewhat cheaper in general, but the 30% isn't due to that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Georgia only allows a company to sell liquor from two stores, and Costco did not decide to offer it at mine. Sucks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Georgia only allows a company to sell liquor from two stores, and Costco did not decide to offer it at mine. Sucks.

Yeah if I remember right it's the... Alpharetta and Dunwoody ones? I've been to both, decent stock.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phraggah posted:

sazerac rye

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah if I remember right it's the... Alpharetta and Dunwoody ones? I've been to both, decent stock.

I'd take the extra hike to go to the Perimeter location but Total Wine has decent prices.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKKq7kMF8w

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Enos Cabell posted:

I hate phone apps for stuff like that, way quicker to just pull out the Citi card. One scan to start transaction then tap it on the pad to complete it, no pulling out the phone opening an app navigating to a QR code.

The Costco phone app hosed me over constantly by logging itself out on my phone to the point where I went back to just carrying the goddamn card.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I recently noticed and grabbed the Isernios Al Pastor (its just packages of raw pastor) and it is very good, high recommend friends. I would say it compares favorably to a decently high quality pastor from a good taqueria. I usually turn up my nose as the prepared meat section but I'm glad I took a chance on this.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A handle of KS American vodka costs $12 in Wisconsin.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

NC has a state liquor monopoly that artificially jacks up the prices in general. This isn't a Costco thing, it's a North Carolina thing. Ever notice how all your liquor stores are ABC stores?

Try driving to South Carolina or Tennessee, depending on where you are (VA is another state liquor monopoly state), you'll see similar low prices.

This isn't to say Costco liquor isn't somewhat cheaper in general, but the 30% isn't due to that.

Yeah, no, I know about the NC ABC laws, but I guess I just haven't really bought liquor in SC or TN so I don't have much point of comparison. Although for rare stuff like Pappy Van Winkle or whatever, NC is generally cheaper because the ABC store price is pegged to the distiller's price plus markups set out in statute. People have made a side hustle out of buying rare liquors for a few hundred bucks at the ABC store and selling them for over a thousand somewhere else.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah, no, I know about the NC ABC laws, but I guess I just haven't really bought liquor in SC or TN so I don't have much point of comparison. Although for rare stuff like Pappy Van Winkle or whatever, NC is generally cheaper because the ABC store price is pegged to the distiller's price plus markups set out in statute. People have made a side hustle out of buying rare liquors for a few hundred bucks at the ABC store and selling them for over a thousand somewhere else.

Is that stuff just readily available there or is it just as rare as everywhere else? I could unload cases of that poo poo here.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Shredder posted:

Is that stuff just readily available there or is it just as rare as everywhere else? I could unload cases of that poo poo here.

It's still rare, generally you have to enter a lottery to get the one bottle a local board would get.

It is illegal to sell liquor outside the ABC system in NC though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

Kirkland spiced rum is vile.

Well yeah, it's spiced rum. :shrug:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
me at costco today

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvpEP4QJf1O/

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:same:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I tried the Yai's Thai Curry Sauce on a whim and it was ...fine in a pretty meh way. I added a poo poo ton of chili powder and some more salt and improved it immensely.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sloppy posted:

I tried the Yai's Thai Curry Sauce on a whim and it was ...fine in a pretty meh way. I added a poo poo ton of chili powder and some more salt and improved it immensely.

I have also recently tried both their yellow and red curry sauces, and they were both just ok, imo. Serviceable if you need something quick, but just not what I wanted.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i know it's kind of expected that costco bakery items dont last a super long time, but it seems to be getting ridiculous. ive been getting the cherry cheese strudel things since they introduced them, and the apple ones before that. usually they last at least a week, but the ones i bought monday night were visibly moldy just now (thursday night). not even 3 days? christ. guess im going to have to start refrigerating them or something

iirc the last batch i got also started going bad before i finished them, but i don't think it was quite this quick

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Raluek posted:

i know it's kind of expected that costco bakery items dont last a super long time, but it seems to be getting ridiculous. ive been getting the cherry cheese strudel things since they introduced them, and the apple ones before that. usually they last at least a week, but the ones i bought monday night were visibly moldy just now (thursday night). not even 3 days? christ. guess im going to have to start refrigerating them or something

iirc the last batch i got also started going bad before i finished them, but i don't think it was quite this quick

Did you check the day they were made? If they've been sitting out at the bakery for 2 days already before you bought them, there's your answer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just picked up a convection toaster oven / air fryer and we're babysitting our 2 and 4-year old niblings this weekend, so that means it's chicken nugget time. This isn't something I normally buy, so which is the best of the Costco nugs?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Enos Cabell posted:

Just picked up a convection toaster oven / air fryer and we're babysitting our 2 and 4-year old niblings this weekend, so that means it's chicken nugget time. This isn't something I normally buy, so which is the best of the Costco nugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:cheers:

Thanks, those actually look pretty dang good!