Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
"Sir, they've deployed the trains!"
"Stall them! Whatever you have to do!"
"But they've launched eight trains!"
"Stall them all! No train shall reach our altitude on my watch!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is it normal for things this close to be animating at 15 fps with view distance set to Ultra?

I've always seen this happening in satisfactory before but could never figure out if there was a way to make it less noticeable or if there is what setting changes that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

Is it normal for things this close to be animating at 15 fps with view distance set to Ultra?

I've always seen this happening in satisfactory before but could never figure out if there was a way to make it less noticeable or if there is what setting changes that.

Yes, the machine animations have like an animation LOD or something so they update less often. Machine animation is tied to what the machine is actually doing, so that can be some overhead if you have a whole lot going at once.

I feel like it's much more noticeable with TSR-AA in UE5, the temporal effect calls attention to those jumpy animations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

:thumbsup:

Going to be a while before trains are actually running on these but it was a fun part of a larger project.

I… ahh… well

:stare:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

Yes, the machine animations have like an animation LOD or something so they update less often. Machine animation is tied to what the machine is actually doing, so that can be some overhead if you have a whole lot going at once.

I feel like it's much more noticeable with TSR-AA in UE5, the temporal effect calls attention to those jumpy animations.

Gotcha, thanks. I can live with it I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a setting somewhere that could turn on sicko mode and make the range a lot larger.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mailer posted:

This aluminum factory is the start and end of trying to make actual production look pretty. It's cute when it's tiny but once you scale up to where you're trying to house 50+ assemblers the effort involved in the pretty is so much higher you spend weeks building a nice house for your machines to live in.

If my machines don't have a nice house to live in, they will be sad. :sympathy: They will think I don't love them as much as the other machines I made nice houses for. I will look at them and be sad too. I think all my machines deserve a good working environment.

Like these happy machines in my new factory! :buddy:

happy machines, building things

happy machines, waiting for other factories before they get turned on

happy black smoke in the happy sky

It is called Detroit because it makes motors and motor accessories. Net production 5.5 turbomotors, 10 motors, 12.5 modular engines, 40 EM control rod. Of the 6 major factories on my project board, it is #5 in size / complexity. Now I have to decide whether I want to jump directly into the #2 biggest project while I'm on a roll, or go back to #4 which I left 25% finished a while back.

Bye machines!

Bye! Thanks for the house!

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

You are all an inspiration. I'm new to the game, working on phase 2 and got some hypertubes. Seeing these posts is like looking at pictures on a menu when you're starving.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's fascinating how different people build things.

My factories look more like manually laid chip designs with PCBs stacked on top of each other. If you look at them from above there's a clear hierarchy from left to right (input -> output) and bottom to top (raw processing -> N * intermediate -> final assembly), because I hate debugging and so I make everything as easy to read as possible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

It is called Detroit because it makes motors and motor accessories. Net production 5.5 turbomotors, 10 motors, 12.5 modular engines, 40 EM control rod. Of the 6 major factories on my project board, it is #5 in size / complexity. Now I have to decide whether I want to jump directly into the #2 biggest project while I'm on a roll, or go back to #4 which I left 25% finished a while back.

Ok, I'll ask... how the hell does water figure into that? I've been staring at it trying to do the math in my head about that number of machines and the recipe ingredients and I can't figure out how you got there. Modded?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Mailer posted:

Ok, I'll ask... how the hell does water figure into that? I've been staring at it trying to do the math in my head about that number of machines and the recipe ingredients and I can't figure out how you got there. Modded?

I'm assuming because of Iron or Copper ingots

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Man with Hat posted:

I'm assuming because of Iron or Copper ingots

Ah hah! That was driving me nuts. I keep forgetting about the water alternate ingot recipes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Nah, the water is just for the coal power generators. And the coal generators are just for decoration, because some some big smokestacks look rad when you're doing a heavy industry look.

I was trying to replicate a design I had in a previous save... but it didn't work quite so well this time. The generator clipping box got changed for blueprints and I can't place it / other machines the same. I had to flip the turbine part around and leave it exposed. Not my favorite result, at some point I need to go back and add some detailing to those. I tried extending the whole building around them but it looked dumb.

I never use the pure ingot recipes, too many refineries. I spread my builds all over the world so I generally have plenty of resources.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm just now getting past getting my first coal power generators up and running in this new game I started on the Experimental build and I'm fully back in. In the past I never really paid much attention to the numbers when building new factories and just kinda fed belts in until there was enough of a buffer to not be a problem but this time I'm trying to actually pay attention to how much is being made and trying to use the production planner to figure out optimal setups. My main question is when you're using the production planner, how are you figuring out what you need per minute with the output? Like if I want to make steel beams as my final product do I just figure out how many per minute can be made for 100% uptime and go with that or multiples of that number? This is probably a dumb question and thinking way too much about this but I really want to understand how to avoid creating shortages if possible.

I am loving the changes to the experimental build, though. Performance is iffy but I love the 'lock blueprint' thing when building so you can get a better view or nudge it around with the arrow keys. Super helpful. The parachute having unlimited uses is also great for the early game. Also I'm not sure if this is new or not but finally, FINALLY being able to build a belt lift in the reverse direction so you can start at the top and build down but still have it belt up. All really good stuff.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played since there was no zooping or bluprints but what I did was pick my site then look at the miners, nodes, alt recipes, and belts that I had and placed enough machines to max out whichever of those were the bottleneck at 100%.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

My main question is when you're using the production planner, how are you figuring out what you need per minute with the output? Like if I want to make steel beams as my final product do I just figure out how many per minute can be made for 100% uptime and go with that or multiples of that number? This is probably a dumb question and thinking way too much about this but I really want to understand how to avoid creating shortages if possible.

It's not a dumb question. But it's also a totally unanswerable one!

You can go with a demand based planning where you start with some end product goals (generally space elevator parts) and work back to the supply. "I'm gonna make 2 Auto Wiring and 10 Vers Frames per minute, that means I need 60 steel beams." The upside to this approach is that you have definite numbers and can make solid plans. The downside is that you'll probably need to revisit those plans in the next elevator phase. You will say "lmao 2 auto wiring, I was so naive."

Or you can focus on supply and say something like "I'm gonna make a steel factory over here, I've got 3 iron and coal nodes. I can make 90 beams and 120 pipe with that." Then you just use those pipes & beams until you run out. At which point you either expand the old factory or make a new one elsewhere. The upside here is that it's a much more relaxed way to play, and it's easier to incorporate things like new alt recipes. Downside is data tracking (use signs to note down production and usage numbers), and the possibility you may hit a cascading supply shortage where you're out of multiple things at once.

And you can do something in between. I mostly do demand-based, because extreme planning is my jam. Also, I've played enough that I know what's coming. My current world I've done everything with a phase 4 master plan so I haven't wasted effort. But I throw in some supply-based: I made a bigass Copper Sheet factory that was pretty much made to max the local nodes. Some of my original plans called for 770 sheets, I built the factory to do 1080. So I've been using more copper sheets while I still have excess.

two actually useful bits of advice:
1. Don't overbuild while you're still learning. Focus on the elevator & hub progression rather than make a big factory for 20 modular frames or whatever. The factory you build in the future will be better, because you'll have more alt recipes. And it'll be easier to build because you'll have a jetpack etc.
2. When using the online planners, know that they prefer alt recipes based on lowest resource consumption. This is one measure of "best", but you might also look at the options and decide for yourself. It may be worth using more resources in exchange for less building.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! That helps a lot and kinda validates a lot of the moves I've been making in this playthrough so far. Definitely trying to dabble more in the demand based stuff this time around because in the past I almost exclusively just piped in more materials from somewhere else to plug in if I was running out of something but making new bespoke factories with an end goal in mind and working backwards has been working out well in the case of steel, for example, where it can stand to be it's own separate factory. I guess as I get faster belts and better miners It's a lot easier to tear down and expand as necessary when it's not a huge convoluted mess of splitters and mergers coming from god knows where.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I saw CS posted this to their Twitter account. Can someone explain this speedrun to me? They send four packages (complete Phase 4) to the space elevator in just under two hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlNUjCYOSU
I don’t understand how they are getting all of the raw materials. Partly they just interact with everything so fast I can see what is going into each machine. I can see they are obviously using tickets to buy a lot of raw materials, but, it just doesn’t feel like they could be buying enough raw materials to make everything needed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

They use a glitch called the 007 glitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzcGV5JD4cc

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Dr. Stab posted:

They use a glitch called the 007 glitch

Thanks! Not knowing anything about how speedrunning is done in Satisfactory, I was watching this video seeing them make a bunch of biomass burners and poo poo but then materials streaming out of every constructor, and I just can’t make it add up. Free production and essentially zero energy cost would do it…

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Messing around with truck routes to bring coal from a couple pure nodes closer to where my power plants are; they're getting supplied by a couple normal belts already but I'm using this to make sure the back half of the belt stays stocked. I think once I get faster belts it'll make more sense to just replace it with one but for now I'm liking this and it was surprisingly simple to set up too.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Graniteman posted:

Thanks! Not knowing anything about how speedrunning is done in Satisfactory, I was watching this video seeing them make a bunch of biomass burners and poo poo but then materials streaming out of every constructor, and I just can’t make it add up. Free production and essentially zero energy cost would do it…

I've never tried the glitch myself, but I understand that it is patched out in update 8.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When using something like the production planner, is there any way to force it to assume everything working at 100% and just rounding up the amount of buildings needed if there's a fraction of something? Like if it tells me I need a bunch of 60% constructors making iron rods can I just have it show me what it looks like with more constructors than needed and just making a surplus for that stage? I used it to spin up a separate factory specifically for smart plating and tbf it's working well but it's a huge convoluted mess of mergers and splitters intersecting with one another and constructors working at lower than 100% and was kind of a pain in the rear end to build out.

Edit: also, on an unrelated note, I love the tall power towers in update 8. Took me a while to realize you can connect 3 long distance wires by starting a wire at the top and up to 8 short distance regular lines by starting a wire at the bottom. It's awesome having these huge towers stretched across the desert now instead of a bunch of lovely tiny poles dotted every few yards.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 7, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

When using something like the production planner, is there any way to force it to assume everything working at 100% and just rounding up the amount of buildings needed if there's a fraction of something? Like if it tells me I need a bunch of 60% constructors making iron rods can I just have it show me what it looks like with more constructors than needed and just making a surplus for that stage? I used it to spin up a separate factory specifically for smart plating and tbf it's working well but it's a huge convoluted mess of mergers and splitters intersecting with one another and constructors working at lower than 100% and was kind of a pain in the rear end to build out.

Are you using satisfactory-calculator? Go into options on the right and switch view mode to "simple". That cuts all the splitters and mergers and just tells you how many total machines of each type you need, and diagrammatic connections. You can figure out the mergers and splitters yourself.

Alternately, I highly recommend satisfactory tools instead. IMO it's both far more powerful and much easier to use. Plus it saves your plans.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

Are you using satisfactory-calculator? Go into options on the right and switch view mode to "simple". That cuts all the splitters and mergers and just tells you how many total machines of each type you need, and diagrammatic connections. You can figure out the mergers and splitters yourself.

Alternately, I highly recommend satisfactory tools instead. IMO it's both far more powerful and much easier to use. Plus it saves your plans.

This is exactly what I want, thanks for the link! And I was using the simple view on the other but it kept defaulting to Mk3 Drills and I figured the only way to change that was to use the advanced mode and set the parameters in there to match what I have unlocked at the time. You are right though that the simple view is pretty much what I want out of that and I hadn't thought of changing it back to check :cripes:.

That one you linked says "update 6 (experimental)", is that update 6 of the tool/planner or is that planner only up to date as of update 6 of Satisfactory?

Edit: looks like the former, the planner appears to be up to date

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 7, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

That one you linked says "update 6 (experimental)", is that update 6 of the tool/planner or is that planner only up to date as of update 6 of Satisfactory?

It's update 6 of Satisfactory, but nothing has changed with production since then. The power use calculation will be slightly off due to the clock rate exponent change in U7, but that's pretty ignorable. (Also when the calculator says I need 3.5 assemblers and I build 4, I never bother underclocking one to 50%. Or I make 3 and OC one to 150%. So it's never exact in the first place.)

Dunno what's gonna happen the next time Satisfactory has new stuff or recipe changes. I really hope it'll get updated. The code is on github at least.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thank you, I appreciate all the help. This satisfactory tools site definitely seems like it's a whole lot easier to parse.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Using that Satisfactory Tools calculator, I finally got motivation to start on a mega-sized mall with almost any item I could want for building stuff.

Started with a giant concrete pad in the desert. The floor is 38x38, while the building itself is 30x30x20

Next came iron. That's eight belts of the stuff, six of which are fully saturated.

An industrial quantity of iron ore. 3,780/min. Also I have since updated the image to show iron instead of copper. :ssh:

Then I lost my way in the pursuit of aesthetics and verisimilitude. It's of vital importance, see, that the floating platforms are actually connected to the ground by way of aesthetically pleasing supports. Also pictured is over 1500 coal/min.

I still have so many more resources to go before I can even get started on producing stuff.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

My train got a hood ornament :cheerdoge:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Is there any rule of thumb on how much area you'd want a megafactory to have per floor (i.e. the base), assuming you're planning on mining/using literally every node?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ryde posted:

Is there any rule of thumb on how much area you'd want a megafactory to have per floor (i.e. the base), assuming you're planning on mining/using literally every node?

You could work out the floor space required for the basic stuff like ingot production and go from there but there's no real rule on how big things need to be. I generally start by building an arbitrarily large rectangle of foundations and then cramming as many machines on a floor as possible, you can always keep building upwards when that floor is full and you're unlikely to build high enough that you reach the kill box. Using up every node on the map is a serious endeavor, what are you planning to make with it all?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Was thinking of trying to maximize points/min but maybe I'm biting off way too much.

I'm honestly vascillating between building a megafactory that ships in the raw resources and does everything on-site and a normal across-the-map-with-logistics build. Was looking at doing this in the desert but also the dunes mean I have to build the ground floor *way* up. But it seems like that'd be the case unless anywhere unless I built it in the ocean.

ryde fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 10, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ryde posted:

Was thinking of trying to maximize points/min but maybe I'm biting off way too much.

If there's one thing I learned about Satisfactory the hard way, it's that this is a game with a start and an end and goals. Try to push too far outside of that, in any direction, and the game pushes back hard. Even modded, when you start talking about something like 1000 constructors you run into logistics problems dealing with that scale. Push it even further and you hit engine problems. That's assuming you've got the power to handle such a behemoth in the first place.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ryde posted:

Yeah, no current PC can handle using all the resources on the map.

ryde posted:

Was looking at doing this in the desert but also the dunes mean I have to build the ground floor *way* up.

:lol: At the scale you are proposing to build the dunes are just tiny little wrinkles, and your construction will dwarf the cliffs to the west.

Mailer posted:

If there's one thing I learned about Satisfactory the hard way, it's that this is a game with a start and an end and goals. Try to push too far outside of that, in any direction, and the game pushes back hard.

Eh, I really don't see that? The game is incredibly flexible for play styles. Look at what NESG does, versus what I do, versus what you do. The only pushback is the scale that you're prepared to take on. And the limits of the engine and our PCs' performance, but that's pretty out-there as a limit. But understanding those scales, and the increase in complexity as you scale up, is hard to comprehend until you've done it.

What the game does is give you enough rope to hang yourself with. And then it asks "more rope, sir?" with a big grin.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Klyith posted:

:lol: At the scale you are proposing to build the dunes are just tiny little wrinkles, and your construction will dwarf the cliffs to the west.

Eh I was more speaking to the verisimilitude of having a factory with the ground floor massively above where any reasonable building would put it, but point taken.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

ryde posted:

Eh I was more speaking to the verisimilitude of having a factory with the ground floor massively above where any reasonable building would put it, but point taken.

I need to remember this the next time I dive in.
One of my main megafactory problems was the room needed for in/out materials.
Think vertical.

I care little for how it looks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ryde posted:

I'm honestly vascillating between building a megafactory that ships in the raw resources and does everything on-site and a normal across-the-map-with-logistics build. Was looking at doing this in the desert but also the dunes mean I have to build the ground floor *way* up. But it seems like that'd be the case unless anywhere unless I built it in the ocean.

I was doing one in the ocean, maxing out everything with refineries and such then i hosed up a really long conveyor run and lost interest. It would probably be easier with the updates since, but i think i'm just going to wait for the 1.0 release before jumping back in.

My old megafactory is just too hard to get back into because i didn't label poo poo.

I was actually considering a 64x64 build. Everything except extractors and belts inside a single 64x64 platform tower. The only way is up.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

ryde posted:

Just have massive cement or metal feet clipping slightly into the sand, to give the appearance that you've anchored the structure to bedrock.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

The only pushback is the scale that you're prepared to take on.

I mean, yes? That's exactly what I was talking about. Blueprints help, for "skinny" machines like constructors/refineries/smelters, but they're still extremely limited when you start talking about thousands of machines. You can manually belt together 3000 smelters (or like... 750 blueprint segments) but, while I'm not a member of the dev team, I'd say that's not the intended scale. They could easily have Mk5 assemblers and MK10 belts and whatever else but have stated this is as fast as things get.

While we're mainly talking production, I'd say the same extends to the exploration/pretty building facets as well. It's kind of stabbing out in multiple directions at once, which is a strength as it's far more broadly appealing than something like Factorio. It's also a weakness when you focus down on one aspect (like production) and realize you're going to be spending hundreds of hours of your life belting together thousands of machines on your massive ugly sky platform.

From a personal perspective, I tried pushing in that production-focused direction and wound up eventually really disliking the game's limitations. Coming back and playing it more or less at what I think is the intended curve has made it a lot more enjoyable. Aside from my (stubborn, completely arbitrary) No Trains gimmick it's just been a clean run where I scale up to meet objectives and build things as needed instead of trying to race the elevator.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Do I remember correctly that you can jam more locomotives on a train to make it reliably have more carts on it? Is there a good standard ratio of carts/locomotive ration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Man with Hat posted:

Do I remember correctly that you can jam more locomotives on a train to make it reliably have more carts on it? Is there a good standard ratio of carts/locomotive ration?

One locomotive for every four carts is the standard, you can make them as long as you want as long as you stick with that ratio. I have one or two running that go slightly over that and they have trouble getting up hills sometimes.