Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I'm holding out for a NightDive Thief 1 / 2.

That feels pretty unnecessary considering NuDark just runs out of the box on modern systems and unlike sshock2, TDP/TMA don't have a boatload of mods to improve the games (just a bunch of cool FMs, like you said).

e; Rocket Pan, if you're around (and assuming you're allowed to answer), I'm curious: are you guys getting paid when people purchase Q2 copies now that the remaster is out, or does it all just go to Bethesda?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird we ended up with Both Hexen II and Heretic II since many people were under the impression Hexen was the sequel to Heretic.

It is actually

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t realize Quake 2 64 was a different game. I figured it just a paired down port like Quake 1 64.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn’t realize Quake 2 64 was a different game. I figured it just a paired down port like Quake 1 64.
At some point even pared down ports that use the original engine get pared down and changed enough that they can be considered a fairly different game, see also Duke Nukem 64, or Doom PS1 which changes the mood, the music, adds Doom 2 enemies to pared down Doom 1 levels where they weren't originally, and contains a mix of these Doom 1, 2, and custom brand new levels.

It would be nice to also see the Quake 2 PS1 levels, since it also had brand new levels created from scratch for a custom engine written for the console, and even 2 brand new enemies, it remains amazingly impressive even today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVC0xJm_3o

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 11, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Assepoester posted:

It would be nice to also see the Quake 2 PS1 levels, since it also had brand new levels created from scratch for a custom engine written for the console.
I think most of the PS1 levels were diced up PC levels, albeit with a couple of new monsters that snuck into the new Machinegames episode.

Regardless, one of the developers on the remaster has apparently been porting the PS1 maps over as a personal, unofficial project. It's apparently finished, but no word on a release date or whatever. Here's a screenshot from the Quake Mapping Discord.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SparkTR posted:

Also Heretic 2 will finally see the light of day again.

I've been wanting a digital release of Heretic II for years and now will be possible. I replayed it during the lockdown and still like it.

It needs some love since my release is from a lovely 3rd party publisher that made an awful installer that chokes on a 64bit OS, and needs win98 compatibility, so of course I had to make a zip file of my folder and crack it the last time.

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
Pretty loving cool I didn't even have to buy Quake II again. This is a lovely remaster.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

everyone knows prey is the best doom 3 engine game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
24/7 edge server when

PostEldar posted:

Pretty loving cool I didn't even have to buy Quake II again. This is a lovely remaster.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Lemon-Lime posted:

That feels pretty unnecessary considering NuDark just runs out of the box on modern systems and unlike sshock2, TDP/TMA don't have a boatload of mods to improve the games (just a bunch of cool FMs, like you said).

e; Rocket Pan, if you're around (and assuming you're allowed to answer), I'm curious: are you guys getting paid when people purchase Q2 copies now that the remaster is out, or does it all just go to Bethesda?

You could argue the same thing about Quake 2 with its numerous source ports. NightDive do a great job of adding tasteful additions though; look at the new lighting and fogging effects, the new models in Quake 2. The same thing for Thief would be great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So Turbo Overkill 1.0 is supposed to drop today. I have my doubt but assuming it does, does anyone have any idea when it might?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Congrats to Rocket Pan and Nightdive, the port is fantastic and Quake 2 really shines. Tried it out on Steam for a bit, but will be saving the new episode and Quake 2 64 for a looooooong train ride next week.

And I absolutely love the developer's vault, this really is above and beyond.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
jesus those new levels don't gently caress around

koren
Sep 7, 2003

There's a secret level in Operation Corpse Run that's a really nice slaughter-style holdout against increasingly nasty waves of enemies in a tiny lava filled box. When the mutants come out it gets really wild and awkward to kite around stuff.

I'd really like to see a big list of all the changes to the game the rerelease brings to the table because it seems like quite a lot has changed. The monster behaviour changes alone are way more extensive than the changes in copper with all the restored attacks and fundamental stuff like enforcers being able to move and fire. In particular, is nightmare the same as skill 3/hard+ in the original game? What maps have been modified and extended beyond the very first level. I haven't verified it yet, but I was told weapon switching is now faster, which seems to work well. I know very little about advanced movement in quake 2 but so far things feel right on a casual level except ramp jumps appear to be completely broken, which sucks.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Quake 2 feels quite a bit more difficult with all of the upgrades to the AI. Berserkers able to run and attack at the same time, leaping at you, Gunners firing more grenades. It's great.

Only issue is that I can't seem to get it to launch on the Steam Deck. Tried numerous Proton versions, including the modded GE ones, and it just hangs at the launching icon.

Edit: Nevermind, my deck just needed a reboot.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 11, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know how id bungled Q2 enemies so much. There are too many too slow, too tanky enemies that just lob rockets and railguns and blasters at a distance. It encourages too much corner-peeking. Not only that, they exacerbate the issue by giving the player too much railgun ammo (once you reach the middle game). It's like they noticed the enemies were badly designed and needed too much corner peeking, and they 'solved' it by giving corner-peeking friendly ammo to the player, instead of changing the enemies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't know how id bungled Q2 enemies so much. There are too many too slow, too tanky enemies that just lob rockets and railguns and blasters at a distance. It encourages too much corner-peeking. Not only that, they exacerbate the issue by giving the player too much railgun ammo (once you reach the middle game). It's like they noticed the enemies were badly designed and needed too much corner peeking, and they 'solved' it by giving corner-peeking friendly ammo to the player, instead of changing the enemies.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

koren posted:

I haven't verified it yet, but I was told weapon switching is now faster, which seems to work well.
Weapon switching is basically twice the speed, complete with Quake 3 swap sound. It's very obvious with the shotgun, the raise animation for which looks like it's on fast forward!

Turin Turambar posted:

IIRC a lot of the planned monster AI functionality in the original game was scrapped when the game switched from QuakeC scripting to native DLL code in order to get the thing out on time. Hence all the unused animations that are finally getting their day in the sun.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

As much as I love quake 1, each game after Doom 2 was definitely a step backward when it came to enemy design. They really nailed it there and honestly nothing else has come close in the last 28 years.

The Kins posted:

Weapon switching is basically twice the speed, complete with Quake 3 swap sound. It's very obvious with the shotgun, the raise animation for which looks like it's on fast forward!
Interesting. Thanks!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm going to do the Quake 3/Doom 2016/Eternal weapon binding since you can swap them out lightning fast now, being easier to combo.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Lemon-Lime posted:

I explicitly cannot answer questions about money. However I will note that purchase numbers always helps in looking at doing updates and other projects, as is to be expected.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rocket Pan posted:

I explicitly cannot answer questions about money. However I will note that purchase numbers always helps in looking at doing updates and other projects, as is to be expected.

Buy all my friends copies of Depth Dwellers, message received

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bought it on Switch, gonna buy it on Xbox and PS4 🫡

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the amount of stuff in this for only ten euro is mind-blowing. it looks and runs like a dream on Switch. the new models look amazing

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

I note that I already owned Quake 2 on Steam but purchased it on PSN and Xbox. :20bux:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Seriously. id decline coincides with Tim Willits ascension to power. Doom 3? Lead Designer. Rage? Creative Director. He was ok as level designer as that's it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Seriously. id decline coincides with Tim Willits ascension to power. Doom 3? Lead Designer. Rage? Creative Director. He was ok as level designer as that's it.

Randy couldn't even finish his levels in Shadow Warrior

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fivehead

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, so I'm at work. Just had a informal talk with my junior (24 years old I believe) coworker... we talked of games. I commented they did a remaster of Quake 2, so I played a bit yesterday.

He said "Quake? That game features a duck, right?" Me: "Uhhh... no". And it isn't like he misheard, he googled it up and wrote 'quake'. We ended up seeing the screenshots, and at least he recognized it was a game in the 'style of Doom', which served for me to explain it was from the same company.

So yeah, sober reminder old ips aren't as strong as before with the newer generatios.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok, so I'm at work. Just had a informal talk with my junior (24 years old I believe) coworker... we talked of games. I commented they did a remaster of Quake 2, so I played a bit yesterday.

He said "Quake? That game features a duck, right?" Me: "Uhhh... no". And it isn't like he misheard, he googled it up and wrote 'quake'. We ended up seeing the screenshots, and at least he recognized it was a game in the 'style of Doom', which served for me to explain it was from the same company.

So yeah, sober reminder old ips aren't as strong as before with the newer generatios.

Maybe he thought it was about "quack" instead somehow.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Figured. Thanks for the answer either way. :)

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Oh cool, I didn't know that George Costanza used to work at id.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weird Sandwich posted:

Oh cool, I didn't know that George Costanza used to work at id.

John Carmack: Nice to meet you.

Tim Willits: Well, I wish I could say the same, but I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine organization. In the past 10-15 years you have caused myself, and the grognards online, a good deal of distress, as we have watched you take our beloved FPS series Doom and Quake and reduce them to whatever the hell Rage is supposed to be, all for the glorification of advancing idtech!

John Carmack: Hire this man!

(the timeline is off, but wtv)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 11, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its finally time, Night Dive, its time to enhance Daikatana.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

GEORGE IS GETTING A RAILGUN

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's weird we ended up with Both Hexen II and Heretic II since many people were under the impression Hexen was the sequel to Heretic.

when it was in fact advertised as "beyond heretic"

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hexen 2 was the best out of all of those anyway. deserves more love than it got imo

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Turin Turambar posted:

A classic image:

Quake 2 is a game I've wanted to get into for a long time. A friend of mine had the demo on his PC when we were in probably the first grade but I think we never even got past the first level.
I've tried it out a couple of times over the years but always got bored almost immediately... and I probably still had never made it past the first level. Last time was trying it out on the Deck just a few months ago but I wasn't feeling the controls and knew myself enough that spending the time to get a replica of mouse controls working would have been wasted effort.

So anyway last night I played for about two hours on the Deck, on Easy, got to like the fifth "set" of levels I think (I completed the mines and maybe one after that) and well... eh. For me personally definitely nowhere near OG DOOM or Quake 1 or Dusk or Cultic.
I like the super shotgun and surprisingly, the regular machine gun but the rest of the arsenal hasn't felt great so far, especially disappointed with that rocket launcher. Haven't gotten my hands on the railgun nor BFG yet though and I do hear good things about that railgun...

But still! The remaster work itself is really, really excellent - especially loving the waypoint thing (didn't even know to expect that there would be so much backtracking between levels - probably an engine limitation initially and they'd have wanted to make each "set" a single, real big level?) and all the niceties like the weapon wheel and whatnot.
Happy to have a convenient way to experience all these levels I've never seen before, always loved a good techbase aesthetic.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

It's funny, but hard disagree. Quake 2 has always been my favourite of the series, because of its enemies and weapons. I love what Quake 1 is going for, but the monsters are absolute sponges and the weapons should feel like they should have a lot more 'oomph' than they actually have. Meanwhile, 5 minutes into Q2 sees you armed with a blaster, shotgun, machinegun, grenades and some powerups. Fights are a lot faster, while enemies like the Gunner are still very much pattern-based like the Ogre was. Enemies can shred you in seconds, but you can do the same. And it has some consistently great environmental story telling; deciding to shoot the marines in the Detention Center is still a way harder choice for me than something like Bioshock managed.

Also, the more I play the more I am impressed with this remaster. The compass! Player shadows! Functioning AI! It rocks so hard to see this game get so much love, especially because I know I'm in the minority when it comes to Q2. Really hope these improvements will lead to people making more maps for it, because it really deserves it.

Doom 2 > Ultimate Doom > Quake 2 > Quake > Return to Castle Wolfenstein > Doom 3 / Quake 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Angryhead posted:

But still! The remaster work itself is really, really excellent - especially loving the waypoint thing (didn't even know to expect that there would be so much backtracking between levels - probably an engine limitation initially and they'd have wanted to make each "set" a single, real big level?) and all the niceties like the weapon wheel and whatnot.

I don’t know that they necessarily wanted giant levels. Level size limitations were pretty ingrained into everybody’s heads back then. I think hubs were more seen as a way to make the level progression feel less linear and provide a natural connection point between them. With all their previous games the levels were mostly made independently and the level order was chosen fairly late.