Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
if u think about it bugs bunny is p much the most overpowered character ever, so i feel like luffy's big powerup makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

lol no One Piece is not episodic at all. It's broken down into arcs that go from 20-80 episodes which each tell a story, but they directly continue from the previous one and lead into the next one. And they're all in service of the overarching plot.

you're way behind the times old man, OP arcs drag on for fuckin years and years, for hundreds of eps. 20-80 episodes was early days only lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that said i do recommend watching OP episodes 1-150 or so. poo poo starts to get real dire after that, but thankfully one pace exists :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Koirhor posted:

if your show has 1000+ episodes I think you should get to the goddamn point already

no

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
yeah one piece has 1000 episodes because at a certain point they decided each episode needed to adapt between 1/2 a chapter and 1 chapter it’s awful

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thats why i pretty much only read manga nowadays, just bash out a bunch before bed

the quality of animation generally sucks compared to older stuff so you're not really missing out.
the sense of motion is often better, baki has better "animation" as a series of 2d still images than the grody looking anime, same with one punch man and whichever season it was they gave up. 2?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1689210617024946176?s=20

hell yeah motherfuckers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I mostly stick to movies these days and they're all one really long episode if you think about it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Srice posted:

I mostly stick to movies these days and they're all one really long episode if you think about it

Or in the case of the Dragon Ball Super movies, they're one long episode which is later stepped on to make twelve normal episodes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Communist Thoughts posted:

thats why i pretty much only read manga nowadays, just bash out a bunch before bed

the quality of animation generally sucks compared to older stuff so you're not really missing out.
the sense of motion is often better, baki has better "animation" as a series of 2d still images than the grody looking anime, same with one punch man and whichever season it was they gave up. 2?

OPM S2 was...fine. Good, even. It's just that S1 was so loving good that S2 looks bland in comparison

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

if your show has 1000+ episodes I think you should get to the goddamn point already

luffy is going to get one piece, trust the plan

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Kit Walker posted:

OPM S2 was...fine. Good, even. It's just that S1 was so loving good that S2 looks bland in comparison

the ending of season 2 was very weird, like it was a 2 cour with the second half cut off

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

it absolutely rules. people were mad about it?! it was introduced so perfectly, with the foundations being laid hundreds of chapters ago! to say nothing of how perfectly it fits the literal original concept of one piece: "what if there was a fighting manga guy who kept getting stronger but never became scary to kids"

If they were mad about that just imagine how mad they will be when the one piece turns out to be the friends we made along the way

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
FWIW Oda has promised that it's not some metaphor bullshit

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Megamissen posted:

the ending of season 2 was very weird, like it was a 2 cour with the second half cut off

Definitely. It was a weird stopping point and made it feel like they’d have a season 3 just around the corner but that never happened. Though, apparently a third season was announced last year? Dunno which studio is doing it though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the op anime has to keep going continuously or else they'll lose the time slot, presumably forever. this is the dumb reason for most of the pacing problems the show has.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the op anime has to keep going continuously or else they'll lose the time slot, presumably forever. this is the dumb reason for most of the pacing problems the show has.

Bring back filler arcs.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
why cant toei just make one piece seasonal since its too big to fail now like dbz, naruto and bleach

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

FujiTV is never going to let them because it gets them gangbuster ratings. Toei once had to drag both Fuji and Shueisha kicking and screaming to agree to three whole episodes of filler.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Or in the case of the Dragon Ball Super movies, they're one long episode which is later stepped on to make twelve normal episodes.

Yeah. Gonna stink whenever they do another tv series and it opens with half a year of doing that again!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The gear 5 reveal was cool but the hanna barbera sound effects didn't sound right, like they understand when to use the tippy toe run sfx it just doesn't sound like it was following the animation

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the super brolly tv adaption will just be Frieza getting his rear end beat by Brolly while the Saiyan boys are off trying to fuse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/ChrisVoiceman/status/1689539203644735488?s=20

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's pretty accurate, yeah

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

stands are ghosts and you can’t convince me otherwise

Jojos bizarre adventure is about being haunted by ghosts

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZepNFH7dkc

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

wolfs posted:

That gets debunked in the first chapter of part 3 :goonsay:

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023

wolfs posted:

this is literally the plot of an entire arc of gintama

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gintama ran so long that it had an arc about every conceivable topic you can squeeze a joke out of

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the Baki characters have a 12-pack in their cheeks

Also that one page with Dave the Raper is one of the funniest things I've seen in my entire life. It never fails to make me laugh. I can't find it when googling so someone please post it if they have it.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Ytlaya posted:

I like how the Baki characters have a 12-pack in their cheeks

Also that one page with Dave the Raper is one of the funniest things I've seen in my entire life. It never fails to make me laugh. I can't find it when googling so someone please post it if they have it.

:goofy:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

yeah the dave the diver sequel announcement didn't go over as well as you might expect

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
No no no guys, he wields a rapier.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Been watching Magical Destroyers from last season. It’s…uh, it’s absolutely loving deranged. The plot is that Japan passed a law making being an otaku illegal, bombed Akihabara flat, confiscated all merch, and put otaku into detention camps. The remaining otaku have rallied together to form a revolutionary army led by a figure known only as Otaku Hero, who is assisted by three no-poo poo genuine magical girls one of whom is literally named Anarchy-chan. The show that it most reminds me of is FLCL, strangely enough. Magical Destroyers isn’t ever going to be as iconic or top tier as FLCL, but they both have the same kind of manic, batshit energy along with dozens of references the average viewer probably won’t get but it doesn’t really matter if you do anyway

It’s also probably for the best that the show isn’t trying to champion otaku culture itself, but is more using it as a metaphor for the idea that people should be allowed to like what they like. Kinda helps that the protagonist is a complete loving nerd who is still strangely charismatic and heroic nonetheless

Also the OP is good as hell

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Aug 14, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I can accept this being canon to Symphogear. But if the Attack on Titan guys had met Hibiki Symphogear, I think they would've made better decisions afterwards.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
"boy am I glad those deranged fascists hosed off back to their dimension"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

They found a universe where Eldians could live free of oppression, but Ed goes through with The Plan anyway.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is that a photoshop, or did some madman really make an AoT/Symphogear crossover show?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'd watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

goku gets hit by a bus and wakes up in the millenium actress universe