Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

loquacius posted:

Question for the thread: I've been having a rough time dealing with all the political messaging around the economy being unstoppable right now, due to my personal experience of being unemployed for months and having the hardest job search of my career because the market is flooded with tens of thousands of people who got very publicly laid off this year. Like, it's very obviously not true that unemployment is at its lowest value in decades, because if it was, I wouldn't be struggling to get a job with ten years of experience in my field, and being told by recruiters that it's because there are so many strong applicants in a very competitive market, and seeing nothing but similar stories from other people.

So where the gently caress is this unemployment figure coming from? What book is being cooked here? Something's fishy and I don't have enough education to define it.

I guess it depends.

Most goons here appear to have college degrees and work in tech related fields. Where a bunch of layoffs have happened. Where I don't have a degree and have worked in general labor or manufacturing.

The labor market is tight for blue-collar workers from my point of view. I reentered the labor force eight months ago handling cargo freight at an airport. $18 dollars an hour. Got bumped to $19, but the job sucked. Most of my coworkers sucked. My knees literally buckled one day from exhaustion.

The churn was huge. Close to 200 got hired and quit over four months. When I put my application on Indeed, I got a reply the same day and started at the yogurt plant the next week for almost $22 an hour. A few weeks into the job they gave everyone a 12.5% rise due to the "conditions of the labor market."

They're still hiring to as two more lines are being brought online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I mean I am in film so uh no work for the forseeable future and will always be poor and freelance. Can't code sorry.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Techies have no union tradition and are regularly told they don't need unions and are privileged for considering it; tech jobs are only good because demand for tech workers exceeds supply. That's starting to change now (see: my life). I suspect all of the stuff about trying to make everybody learn 2 code is to help drive the great effort to make tech workers more affordable to employers.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
The end of Gladiator but it's Commodus vs. Commodus

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m in supply chain and since functioning infrastructure is a lost technology, teams who had deep sector knowledge were downsized during the Age of Plenty, the rest of the incompetents moved into middle management, and the Covid Years of non-stop crisis management were poo poo for training people into knowing How Things Actually Work there is a premium on logistics whisperers who know the right rituals and incantations to make your planes, trains and trucks arrive on time

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
If you mean, like IT/ systems / networks - techies have almost unionized a few times. A few unions like the CWA got real real close, but were fighting the general decline of unionization, and welp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Of course the Italians are facilitating this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The current Italian PM is a fascist iirc so I'm not too surprised

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Oh and I guess the fact that like, a pipegreppers union would rival the teamsters in ability to gently caress up the US economy if it's demands weren't met. Who needs to cut undersea cables when you can drop routes or database tables?

That probably gets lots of tax-payer funded activity organized against it.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

loquacius posted:

Techies have no union tradition and are regularly told they don't need unions and are privileged for considering it; tech jobs are only good because demand for tech workers exceeds supply. That's starting to change now (see: my life). I suspect all of the stuff about trying to make everybody learn 2 code is to help drive the great effort to make tech workers more affordable to employers.

I'm seeing more tech people talk about unions, at a theoretical level at least. However for many of them it's more like "hey tech should probably unionize?"… instead of "hey would you like to build this union with me?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Votskomit posted:

I'm seeing more tech people talk about unions, at a theoretical level at least. However for many of them it's more like "hey tech should probably unionize?"… instead of "hey would you like to build this union with me?"

None of us have the social skills to be union leaders

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Buffer posted:

a pipegreppers union

lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

loquacius posted:

Question for the thread: I've been having a rough time dealing with all the political messaging around the economy being unstoppable right now, due to my personal experience of being unemployed for months and having the hardest job search of my career because the market is flooded with tens of thousands of people who got very publicly laid off this year. Like, it's very obviously not true that unemployment is at its lowest value in decades, because if it was, I wouldn't be struggling to get a job with ten years of experience in my field, and being told by recruiters that it's because there are so many strong applicants in a very competitive market, and seeing nothing but similar stories from other people.

So where the gently caress is this unemployment figure coming from? What book is being cooked here? Something's fishy and I don't have enough education to define it.

the unemployment numbers they regularly put out dont include entire swathes of people, they do this deliberately to pretend unemployment isnt actually much higher

for reference i believe last year they dropped around 10 million or so people off the rolls and just stopped counting them as unemployed

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Abner Assington posted:

The end of Gladiator but it's a commode and there's two turds that keep circling the bowl but won't flush down

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Doomsday Econ] a pipegreppers union

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

why did musk make his drat site the universal symbol of "close this window." Every time a tweet (I MEAN X POST) gets posted on the forums I see the X in the top right corner and want to close it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i'm a cat operator

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zapf Dingbat posted:

why did musk make his drat site the universal symbol of "close this window." Every time a tweet (I MEAN X POST) gets posted on the forums I see the X in the top right corner and want to close it.

Drives a lot of traffic there

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Xaris posted:

yeah chinese make better poo poo but they're banned from selling it in america thanks to democrats. cant let americans get spoiled with premium consumer treats without paying the premium price

We got the nightmare version of the future I was promised - most of the manual labor and manufacturing has been automated or outsourced, but we didn't get the cheap goods and extra free time that were supposed to come with it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

i'm a cat operator

I also WFH

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

the unemployment numbers they regularly put out dont include entire swathes of people, they do this deliberately to pretend unemployment isnt actually much higher

for reference i believe last year they dropped around 10 million or so people off the rolls and just stopped counting them as unemployed

Can someone get a source on this? I'm not doubting it, i just wanna see the details. What are the rolls? I thought it just counted people who are currently receiving unemployment (which you need to not have a part-time or gig job and also be actively searching for a new job to qualify for). Did they just like kick people off unemployment and if so why? Was it the expiration of a COVID benefit?

Apr 7, 2003

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Because his entire purpose in purchasing Twitter, with MBS's financial backing, was to get rid of a public square where people like him could be criticized. Destroying it was deliberate.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Can someone get a source on this? I'm not doubting it, i just wanna see the details. What are the rolls? I thought it just counted people who are currently receiving unemployment (which you need to not have a part-time or gig job and also be actively searching for a new job to qualify for). Did they just like kick people off unemployment and if so why? Was it the expiration of a COVID benefit?

It's from surveys (idk exactly their methodology for sourcing the numbers) but if you are job seeking for more than 3 months iirc they just drop you out of the labor pool. They don't consider you a productive member of society anymore

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Gorson posted:

We got the nightmare version of the future I was promised - most of the manual labor and manufacturing has been automated or outsourced, but we didn't get the cheap goods and extra free time that were supposed to come with it.

if they were honest about it beforehand nobody would fall for it

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

loquacius posted:

U1: Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
U2: Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
U3: Official unemployment rate, per the ILO definition, occurs when people are without jobs and they have actively looked for work within the past four weeks.[60]
U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers," or "loosely attached workers," or those who "would like" and are able to work but have not looked for work recently.
U6: U5 + Part-time workers who want to work full-time, but cannot for economic reasons (underemployment)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Because his entire purpose in purchasing Twitter, with MBS's financial backing, was to get rid of a public square where people like him could be criticized. Destroying it was deliberate.

or

hear me out

he's stupid

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

loquacius posted:

to add to what in training said they dont include prison population as well and i believe u3 also doesnt include part-time workers either

The following are a few examples of individuals who wouldn't be included in the U-3 rate:

A stonemason who wants to work but became discouraged by a lack of opportunity in the midst of a deep economic recession
A marketing executive who is laid off at age 57 and stops scheduling new job interviews due to their experience of age discrimination
A person who only works one six-hour shift per week because no full-time jobs are available in their area

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Acelerion posted:

U1: Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
U2: Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
U3: Official unemployment rate, per the ILO definition, occurs when people are without jobs and they have actively looked for work within the past four weeks.[60]
U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers," or "loosely attached workers," or those who "would like" and are able to work but have not looked for work recently.
U6: U5 + Part-time workers who want to work full-time, but cannot for economic reasons (underemployment)

Oh lol it's one month. Yeah everyone I know definitely expects to get a job within 4 weeks of looking .

Edit nvm that's not the right timeframe. I should see what determines the "Discouraged workers" category

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mola Yam posted:

he's stupid

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Are people actually calling it that now? I kind of refuse to and still say Comisky Park and Phillip Morris.

Apr 7, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

or

hear me out

he's stupid

He's stupid, but he absolutely purchased Twitter to ruin it.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Also, agencies habitually report 'good' numbers and then months later issue corrections when no one is looking or cares

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Acelerion posted:

Also, agencies habitually report 'good' numbers and then months later issue corrections when no one is looking or cares

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He's stupid, but he absolutely purchased Twitter to ruin it.

He very aggressively tried to get out of the deal which almost certainly cost him millions in legal fees, and only purchased it when a court forced him to. It might be his plan now but he doesn't need any help retconning his history.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ReutersChina/status/1689984910889742336?s=20

quote:

Aug 11 (Reuters) - A patriotic call by China's bestselling automaker to band the industry together and "demolish the old legends" of the global market has gone viral, drawing both raves and a rebuke from a rival.

BYD (002594.SZ) used an event this week to mark a production milestone to celebrate a bigger purpose: the emergence of China as a global auto manufacturing powerhouse.

"I believe the time has come for Chinese brands," BYD founder and chairman Wang Chuanfu said at the event, standing in front of an image of the logos of 12 major Chinese automakers.

"It's an emotional need for the 1.4 billion Chinese people to see a Chinese brand becoming global."

The call by BYD – Tesla's closest rival in the global electric vehicle sales race – prompted widespread praise, and underscored how China's automakers are riven by competition at home and chasing growth overseas.

China's automakers are locked in a bruising price war that was started by Tesla (TSLA.O) in January and which shows no signs of easing. They are also all competing in the same global markets, where they face consumer wariness and sometimes regulatory roadblocks.

At its event on Wednesday, BYD released a video marking the founding of a dozen rivals from state-run automaker FAW Group in 1956 to commercial EV startups Xpeng(9868.HK), Nio (9866.HK) and Li Auto (2015.HK) in the past decade.

The video shows historical footage, sweeping vistas and cars being loaded for export. "Our stories are different from each other but share the same direction," the narrator says, adding in reference to overseas markets: "There's no distinction between 'you' and 'me'."

It ends with a call for China's automakers to "demolish the old legends and achieve new world-class brands," under the slogan, "Chinese Autos".

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/244102395838230528
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/665739096694870017

once he got elected he stopped talking about real unemployment

Apr 7, 2003

That's right

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

AvesPKS posted:

Are people actually calling it that now? I kind of refuse to and still say Comisky Park and Phillip Morris.

I call it Xitter (pronounced with a 'sch' sound).

In my head, Tweets are Xits, Tweeting is Xitting, and retweeting is now Xarting.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

quote:

"I believe the time has come for Chinese brands," BYD founder and chairman Wang Chuanfu said at the event, standing in front of an image of the logos of 12 major Chinese automakers.

"It's an emotional need for the 1.4 billion Chinese people to see a Chinese brand becoming global."

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

elon attempting to force one of us to become more divorced than him by making us re-ex our exes for more engagement