Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One of the officers on the 22 left the entire, unredacted, command climate survey on the LAN, including all the comments. Most of the comments were complaining about the command covering up the bed bug issue, but one dude basically predicted the collision.

I think "trust in the command" had 0 positive responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A true hero. Also gently caress bed bugs.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Elviscat posted:

One of the officers on the 22 left the entire, unredacted, command climate survey on the LAN, including all the comments. Most of the comments were complaining about the command covering up the bed bug issue, but one dude basically predicted the collision.

I think "trust in the command" had 0 positive responses.

That owns. The comments are my favorite part and I wish they’d get released (minus the ones accusing people of poo poo by name) instead of locked behind NDAs and hidden as hard as possible

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The problem with climate survey comments is that the ones at good commands tend to have very little written that is useful or actionable, and the ones at bad commands aren't useful because although they tell truth to the CO, bad commands are bad because of COs who either won't listen or are incapable of effecting change in the first place.

Basically there's a very narrow window where survey comments might be useful, and it's right after a poor CO and/or CMC has been replaced by a good one.

Highlights of climate survey comments I've seen include:

"Women don't belong on submarines" (btw things like this are why comments don't go out for general release)

"WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T WE BRING ENOUGH MOUNTAIN DEW TO LAST THE WHOLE PATROL??"

"Let's go Brandon!"

"I don't see what's the big deal about the N word"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They ain’t wrong about the mt dew though

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

Suicides to sailors. It’s just a number.

Funnily enough, my last CO for my reserve unit was also on ADOS orders and dual-hatted as CNO's N1A (I believe that was his code), so he was one of the leads for the Navy's suicide prevention program, and despite being very adamant about all the issues leading to increasing suicide rates, I think he kind of realized that the Navy is very much trying to have its cake and eat it too. There's basically no way to solve the problem while maintaining the current OPTEMP, level of "readiness", and material condition sailors are getting tossed into.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cerekk posted:

The problem with climate survey comments is that the ones at good commands tend to have very little written that is useful or actionable, and the ones at bad commands aren't useful because although they tell truth to the CO, bad commands are bad because of COs who either won't listen or are incapable of effecting change in the first place.

Basically there's a very narrow window where survey comments might be useful, and it's right after a poor CO and/or CMC has been replaced by a good one.

The results should go to the ISIC as well, so theoretically they should be able to take action. The one I'm referencing was reviewed by SUBPAC and the IG while they were investigating the bedbug incident, after it made national news.

Of course C/A followup for that investigation was left to ISIC, and that was headed by the same commodore that refused to let the crew submit a DFS for a cracked weld on an EFC hydraulic pipe that sprayed hydraulic fluid every time the associated valve was actuated, saying it was a "housekeeping issue".

The real answer is the Navy needs to cut the "master after God" bullshit, and actually no-poo poo hold COs and senior enlisted accountable. No more shuffling fired captains off to a cozy shore duty they can hang out at until they can get a near-6-figure retirement check with full bennies, on the tax payer's dime, you gently caress up, you get kicked out, no retirement pay, no credit towards a federal retirement either.

Of course the Navy's run by the same stupid corrupt fucks that glorify the COs that do the best job abusing and dehumanizing their enlisted folk, so I don't think it's getting any better any time soon.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

The results should go to the ISIC as well, so theoretically they should be able to take action.

Lol

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Command Climate Surveys/DEOCS are a mixed bag, but overall I find them to be very useful.

There are a couple of things that really hold back their utility:

1) Selection Bias: Since they're not mandated only people who are really upset or, really really happy participate. The mean +/-1 sd just go about their day. This means that no matter how good a command is even a "good" survey will be overall negative.

2) Tyranny of Small Numbers: Partly this is particular to my career experience, but when you're talking about commands with less than 300 or so people it's really easy to have numbers scew widely. When coupled with #1 it's even more pronounced.

3) Poorly structured questions with poorly structured answers: Under the new DoD mandated system, most of the questions are fixed and are worded vaguely in such a manner as they can be applied across the joint force which can lead to confusion. (eg: who's your "primary supervisor"? Your WCS? You LPO? Your Chief? Your DIVO? :shrug: ). Additionally, there are some questions that are yes/no and somehow are presented as numerical ratings in the results.

I generally had great success using them. The secret is:
1) Early and direct communication as the CO to the Command Response Team so that they understand what you think the status is and so that the command selected/crafted questions actually work as intended.

2) Afterwards it was about extracting the important bits from the comments and actively working with the CRT again to develop a strategy to really tease out what's real and what's not via the various focus groups.

3) Finally, it was about open and honest communication back to the crew. Here's what I can do, here's what I'm doing to help things I can't change, here's the reasons why I'm not changing the thing you don't like.

Unfortunately, most of my peers are unable/unwilling to honestly engage with the process. Reasons for that varied from not understanding it, not caring, or being scared of it.

Sorry for the effort post interrupting your mess decks bitching, but I'm a little drunk and decided to give some insight from a guy who's commanded three ships and done a bunch of these surveys.

That all said though, my last command really and truly broke my spirit. There's a lot of reasons why, but professionally it boiled down to being really tired of being the bag man for a Navy that just doesn't give a poo poo about its people anymore. I saw it first hand and across numerous surveys from around the fleet.

So excuse me while I finish my drink so I can finally go to sleep.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ManMythLegend posted:

Internet VFW : So excuse me while I finish my drink so I can finally go to sleep.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
For the crew to actively take part, they ha e to believe it means something, which means creating trust and a feedback loop from the top showing that their concerns are being listened to and action being taken.

Get to see the USCG next port as one of the mates was getting full on creep status with the cadets so something to look forward to?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

That all said though, my last command really and truly broke my spirit. There's a lot of reasons why, but professionally it boiled down to being really tired of being the bag man for a Navy that just doesn't give a poo poo about its people anymore. I saw it first hand and across numerous surveys from around the fleet.

Feel better.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ManMythLegend posted:

Unfortunately, most of my peers are unable/unwilling to honestly engage with the process. Reasons for that varied from not understanding it, not caring, or being scared of it.

This has been my experience in .mil and .com life. I think this is just human nature for managers. It's far easier to just let whatever's going on go on and generally steer the largest currents instead of actively engaging and trying to direct the flow.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just finished "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" and can affirm every recommendation of that book. However, as I got to the end, something was bothering me. The Navy handed out 22 Navy Crosses for the actions on that day, and I looked up who all the recipients were. It turns out that all 22 awardees were officers. I lurk in here mostly to be up to date on how the Navy mistreats its people, but in light of this, it seems that the Navy has always been this way.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Most lower ranking servicepeople find it to be quite a good reward just to be able to survive the suicidal, egotistical, stupid or heroic actions of their officers.

Even better if they get to come home with all their limbs still attached and fully functioning.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I somehow busted up my left ankle getting shitfaced in Copenhagen last weekend ... the same ankle I hosed up in basic nearly 20 years ago now :argh:

gently caress The Navy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wibla posted:

I somehow busted up my left ankle getting shitfaced in Copenhagen last weekend ... the same ankle I hosed up in basic nearly 20 years ago now :argh:

gently caress The Navy.

Document everything, since that busted ankle might be worth a double digit disability bump when you get out.

If you're already out...welp.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I had 6 ankle surgeries on AD to repair and replace my peroneal tendons on both feet. VA rated them at 10% because they were "sprained" at one point in my medical record. I went back to have them reevaluated because my job at the time was making them worse and I needed a 7th surgery but the VA said "LOL your ankles are fine but your brain is hosed. Here's 90% and IU."

So on the one hand, gently caress you because these are NOT sprained ankles but I guess thank you for loving up my head?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of filing my VA claim, and still getting letters saying they're working on it.

They gave me an interim rating for the well documented stuff and started cutting me checks, so that's nice I guess.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Document everything, since that busted ankle might be worth a double digit disability bump when you get out.

If you're already out...welp.

I got out years ago :haw:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1691216010127273985?t=vt4xFuyLie26iVWGBOA_eQ&s=19

The fact we never had a reckoning for the terrible decision that lead to the LCS or TF Uniform or the other post-9/11 bullshit is sad

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1691216010127273985?t=vt4xFuyLie26iVWGBOA_eQ&s=19

The fact we never had a reckoning for the terrible decision that lead to the LCS or TF Uniform or the other post-9/11 bullshit is sad

Listen that money had to go somewhere and if that somewhere is bad uniform/ship design specs then whomst among us am I right?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Sounds like the USCG investigators got everything they needed and the cancer has been removed. The therapist and a trusted officer both said engineering avoided most of it due to our culture and my officers. I have no idea if I want to get blacked or just cry from relief at this point I'm loving done.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, sounds like that went a well as it could have. I'm glad it didn't spill into engineering or start a witch hunt.

Rest in piss to your old creepy mate there, hopefully he gets what's coming to him.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I'm back on my dumb bullshit again do to *things*. Here's a freebie for the MCs & PAOs, remake these now that it is the 45th anniversary. You could still do Rota since we have FDNF there and do some Med port for the Port of Call and then flight ops in the SCS instead of Sea of Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoFElIwXpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5UJ_Kz4D1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B3_r4Ey5LI

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

Three more are on their way to decomming on the Freedom side.

I did get a hearty lol at that reckoning comment though. The US Government, famous for good stewardship of tax money!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The VA finally finished my claim after a scant 9 months, verdict is the Navy hosed up my back, my brain, and both my hands :confuoot:

Maybe I'll buy a decommed Freedom Class with my back pay, what're they going for, $5k?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elviscat posted:

The VA finally finished my claim after a scant 9 months, verdict is the Navy hosed up my back, my brain, and both my hands :confuoot:

Maybe I'll buy a decommed Freedom Class with my back pay, what're they going for, $5k?

If it's anything like the other decommed ships, a dollar and you gotta move it yourself after the propulsion plant is decommissioned because iirc the navy doesn't own the gearbox and thus can't sell that part

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

If you want more bang for your buck, a 20-year-old used Boston Whaler would probably be more seaworthy than an LCS.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Thats just because boston whalers are nearly indestructible.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Elviscat posted:

Only nine months, wow now I've got my hopes up mine will be done before 2025

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 20, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m gonna be the only one left in and not even in the real navy at this point.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

I’m gonna be the only one left in and not even in the real navy at this point.

I don't think there are any forum members young enough to enlist, even with a waiver, at this point.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Technically I could go back still, but why would i

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Revenge?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Good Ship Revenge? You'd make a wonderful Dread Captain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

orange juche posted:

If it's anything like the other decommed ships, a dollar and you gotta move it yourself after the propulsion plant is decommissioned because iirc the navy doesn't own the gearbox and thus can't sell that part
That is a fascinating fact.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That is a fascinating fact.

The engines and main reduction gears are usually leased. They're high quality but also highly delicate equipment that you really don't want sailors working on most of the time.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yes but the lcs engines are steaming piles of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Throw a couple Yamaha outboards on it, it'll be fine.

E:

maffew buildings posted:

Only nine months, wow now I've got my hopes up mine will be done before 2025

Good luck! Enjoy your tri-monthly letters saying "we're not done yet" that inexplicably have your entire SSN on them along with name, d.o.b. and obv. address. Hope you don't get your identity stolen!

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 20, 2023