Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marshmallow creep posted:

That druid is never getting rescued at this rate.

Historically druids never did have the greatest survival rate. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

thebardyspoon posted:

Probably gonna be like dragon shouts right, you unlock them early in the main quest and then that activates the ability to see/get them as a reward for stuff all over the galaxy, hopefully slightly more varied both in methods of acquisition and use than the dragon shouts though. They weren't terrible but could have had more.
I had a random idea about the space magic stuff in the beginning.

Maybe figuring out coordinates to jump safely to other star systems is actually very complicated and potentially deadly, so much so that systems have to be mapped out ahead of time before FTL jumps can be safely used to travel to them. By this I mean sending out probes at near-FTL speeds, which then have to send back data that can be used to safely FTL jump to the system. This would put a limiter on how quickly humanity could expand beyond Sol. Everything closer to Sol would be more developed too.

Then maybe the space magic artifact comes around and makes it so you can jump wherever you want safely, as long as your drive has the range. Either by downloading information into your head, or maybe by giving you the gravity-controlling (and sensing) space magic.

It would be a way to justify the player being the first to set foot on and survey many planets. It would also give many factions a reason to be pretty interested in the player if they found out what the player can do.

I don't think this is very likely, but it's a fun thought.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Morrowwind spell creator or bust imo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just let me hotbar stuff, Bethesda.
The quick menu in Skyrim sucks poo poo wtf is wrong with you.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Inzombiac posted:

voice commands only imo

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, it'd be handy to be able to add things to your hotbar directly from the inventory instead of being obligated to hotbar them via the quick menu.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

The Lone Badger posted:

Morrowwind spell creator or bust imo.

slamming ten thousand consecutive intelligence potions and creating a spell that does 9999 fire damage in area 9999 kiloparsec(s) for 1 second

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

slamming ten thousand consecutive intelligence potions injectors and creating a spell that does 9999 fire plasma damage in area 9999 kiloparsec(s) for 1 second

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

filling my spaceship's entire fuel tank with skooma and hitting the throttle

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ThaumPenguin posted:

see you space cowboy

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Inverness posted:

I had a random idea about the space magic stuff in the beginning.

Maybe figuring out coordinates to jump safely to other star systems is actually very complicated and potentially deadly, so much so that systems have to be mapped out ahead of time before FTL jumps can be safely used to travel to them. By this I mean sending out probes at near-FTL speeds, which then have to send back data that can be used to safely FTL jump to the system. This would put a limiter on how quickly humanity could expand beyond Sol. Everything closer to Sol would be more developed too.

Then maybe the space magic artifact comes around and makes it so you can jump wherever you want safely, as long as your drive has the range. Either by downloading information into your head, or maybe by giving you the gravity-controlling (and sensing) space magic.

It would be a way to justify the player being the first to set foot on and survey many planets. It would also give many factions a reason to be pretty interested in the player if they found out what the player can do.

I don't think this is very likely, but it's a fun thought.

I like this. But it would also then make less sense to have random encounters/outposts with humans outside of the main hubs.

About that, I wonder if the game would have fewer of those the further out you go. I would like it if that were the case, it wouldn't be very immersive to be jumped by pirates on the edge of known space.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Moon...sugar? What a time to be alive

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

ThaumPenguin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt9W_tf32dQ
:2bong:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
T-minus three weeks :hellyeah:

What platform are y’all playing this on? I preordered the Constellation edition so I’m playing on the Windows store Play Anywhere version for achievements + cross-save, but I also apparently got a free Steam copy thanks to buying an AMD CPU for my new PC build

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Game Pass PC, unless my brother ends up buying a Steam copy.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Steam, for the long term ease of dealing with mods/dlc/whatever else.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

athlon 3000g, if it doesn't work there i'll play it on my laptop (some 6 core intel that hits t-junction max at the first sign of load with a laptop gtx 1070, it almost meets the official minimum requirements!)

i refuse to taint my desktop with a microsoft account even if game pass is very good

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Xbox Series X for me. Via game pass, of course. Bought the Premium Upgrade.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Steam because it was free.

But if I'd got it for free elsewhere, I probably wouldn't even bother playing because gently caress all the other store platforms.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I was going to joke about being the only person buying it on the Epic store, but it's not even there.

If review copies are being sent out soon hopefully that means they are confident enough in the game to not leave the review embargo to release day.

I guess the game is big enough that reviewers will need 2-3 weeks to get to the late game things like ship building and space magic. That also means romancing your ship will be a lengthy process and they definitely want ship loving to hit bear loving levels of viral marketing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Warp drive sucked me off??

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Lol it's Bethesda (or really any modern studio), every mechanic will be shoved in your face instantly after the intro. Within 5 hours it'll all just be grinding out stats.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PeePot posted:

I guess the game is big enough that reviewers will need 2-3 weeks to get to the late game things like ship building and space magic. That also means romancing your ship will be a lengthy process and they definitely want ship loving to hit bear loving levels of viral marketing.

Oh god I hope that isn't publishers/developers take away from BG3 massive success. I remember posting here about when Barbie became a massive success movie studios as they always do, were going to take all the worst lessons from it. Instead of, "hey people actually like big budget smart well written films by good directors", it will be "hey people really want to see more big budget films based off what ever IP we have laying around based of commercial junk".

BG3 the take away won't be "people like playing RPG's with incredible amounts of play choice, that actually affect things" or one of the many other good lessons that could be taken from it, it will just be let the players know they can gently caress anything in the game and it automatically sell millions.

I am not looking forward to the racing games/zoo tycoon type games coming out in the next few years. :(

(Crusader Kings games don't need to worry about making any changes about that, obviously.)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Lol it's Bethesda (or really any modern studio), every mechanic will be shoved in your face instantly after the intro. Within 5 hours it'll all just be grinding out stats.

B-b-b battlepass!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Todd did mention in the direct, ship (and possibly base) customization was more a late game mechanic things just because it cost a lot of space caps or what not. Not to say he wasn't being very Todd when he said that and yeah it chucked in your face early, but just from what they said it sounds like there's a bit of mid to late game stuff that you need cash before you can do it.

With one of the key goals seeming to be getting a good enough ship so you can travel to unexplored parts of the galaxy that does make bit of sense.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Customising your ship will come once they can sell you a paint scheme with a red go faster stripe down the side for $20 in the cash shop.

Fuzzy dice are $10 this week, normally $15! Wow. Limited time only.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just so long as I can get space truck nuts

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

Just so long as I can get space truck nuts

Only if you complete this month's battlepass. FOMO.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DancingShade posted:

Customising your ship will come once they can sell you a paint scheme with a red go faster stripe down the side for $20 in the cash shop.

Fuzzy dice are $10 this week, normally $15! Wow. Limited time only.

what are you talking about?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

what are you talking about?

You didn't think the atomic shop in FO76 would never raise its head again with some fresh paint did you?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its a single player game with extensive modding support. Bethesda doesn't stop modders from making the same things in the CC and putting it up on nexus.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

its a single player game with extensive modding support. Bethesda doesn't stop modders from making the same things in the CC and putting it up on nexus.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/39293/starfield/

It has in-game purchases. If your comment is "well modders can just make stuff too" well okay. So why were you confused by what I said?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

K8.0 posted:

You say that but in Skyrim it’s entirely possible to play for hours and hours and complete several quest lines without unlocking Shouts. Or player houses. You underestimate players’ ability to just ignore the main quest and go collect spacebear assholes for space granny’s special soup instead.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yes, and it can range from anything from <buy the season pass here> to gacha game levels.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

DancingShade posted:

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/39293/starfield/

It has in-game purchases. If your comment is "well modders can just make stuff too" well okay. So why were you confused by what I said?

If a game has DLC, they have to add that it supports in-game purchases.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Fallout 4 had in-game purchases. It was also single player with mod support.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I would be incredibly surprised if Starfield didn't have some form of creation club stuff.

I didn't mind it in fallout 4 and skyrim as other than a free skyrim thing got from it so it was very ignoreable. Apparently in game purchases in 76 was garbage but 76 had (has?) all it's other garbage going on with it.

Not the biggest fan in game purchase stuff and wish it would go away in general, but if it just stays ignoreable as it is currently than I just forgot it there when playing so whatever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

dr_rat posted:

Apparently in game purchases in 76 was garbage but 76 had (has?) all it's other garbage going on with it.

Has.

And the thing with micros in 76, is that before the release they repeatedly, adamantly reassured us that any extra purchases would be cosmetic only.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I would be incredibly surprised if Starfield didn't have some form of creation club stuff.

I didn't mind it in fallout 4 and skyrim as other than a free skyrim thing got from it so it was very ignoreable. Apparently in game purchases in 76 was garbage but 76 had (has?) all it's other garbage going on with it.

Not the biggest fan in game purchase stuff and wish it would go away in general, but if it just stays ignoreable as it is currently than I just forgot it there when playing so whatever.

Todd mentioned modders should get paid, so Creation Club is definitely going to be bigger than it was with Fallout. Probably still ignorable.

Someone on Reddit found a footnote "Bethesda.net account required to download certain features". Might be worth making an account now to save 5 minutes on release day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

PeePot posted:

Someone on Reddit found a footnote "Bethesda.net account required to download certain features". Might be worth making an account now to save 5 minutes on release day.

I believe that was the same for FO4 and was in reference to the “official” mods and creation club stuff