Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

DOMO ARIGATO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TescoBag posted:

Can someone explain why this would be such a big thing?

Ukraine needs to take Robotine if they are to take Tokmak, and Tokmak is an essential objective (logistics and transportation crossroads supporting Russian defense lines) that enables them to take their counteroffensive goal of Melitopol (which severs the land bridge connection between Russian occupied donbas and Russian occupied Crimea)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

It would have been stupid to not believe it. By and large there was zero reason to believe Russia would do anything but curb stomp Ukraine though the 3 days thing was always nonsense propaganda. Then oops vdv got melted at hostomel and here we are
I was completely making GBS threads myself in the first weeks too but in retrospect I don't think that's at all true. I think the biggest risk was always their plan succeeding - getting in Kyiv quickly enough with limited forces, overthrowing the government, resistance collapsing, etc. Their actual military wasn't even remotely sufficient for the task of invading and occupying the whole country. And I think a lot of the countries like France recognized that it would be extremely stupid to attempt it.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I heard that in Japan, they call that town "Eggman".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HonorableTB posted:

It would have been stupid to not believe it. By and large there was zero reason to believe Russia would do anything but curb stomp Ukraine though the 3 days thing was always nonsense propaganda. Then oops vdv got melted at hostomel and here we are

yeah i was actively avoiding news for a month after the invasion because in my mind there was absolutely no way ukraine was lasting that month. i figured i'd come back later and hear how putin was going about his genocide and if anyone would've told me that ukraine was going to scrap back and win a lot of key battles i would've told them we don't live in a just universe

then i tuned back in a month later and will you loving look at that the ukranians are fighting like hell and winning a lot of key battles

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1689979943231365120#m
Umm guys did you remember to worship Moloch and Beelzebub today? :dumb:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

I hail Satan every day, I hope russians are aware of this.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

SMO against humanity. One guy has names of countries, another a list of verbs, and another guy a list of nouns.

OK we've got Czechia, worship, and demon today.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

zone posted:

"What you sow, you will reap."

:ironicat:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

William Bear posted:

I heard that in Japan, they call that town "Eggman".

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1690035174329761793

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689984439164506112

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689992294265405441

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

:smug:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689954304206012416?t=B-BWRNaI2xIuZoKa-EbvPQ&s=19

Swiss cheesed

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

Can confirm, the kids today are all hooped up on Satan worship and burning Lenin statues

zone
Dec 6, 2016

It'll buff right out. Just let a couple mobiks with some hammers work on it and it'll be good as new :troll:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
They're speed holes, they make the Tor system go faster

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tor is a world-class SHORAD system. Losses of those will def be felt

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Robotyne, is that where they are building the mechs?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

TescoBag posted:

Can someone explain why this would be such a big thing?
If they capture and hold Robotyne for 5 turns they unlock ED-209s, and then if they can take Tokmak as well they can build Tokamak Reactors.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1690016207879983105#m
1,000 confirmed artillery losses recorded by the Oryx team.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

zone posted:

Hail Satan! In the new world order all haircut styles will need to be approved by the NATO warlock towers.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

They mention cases where Ukranians are dressing up in Russian uniforms? Am I reading this right?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

They mention cases where Ukranians are dressing up in Russian uniforms? Am I reading this right?

That's what terrorist Guzenko is talking about, yeah.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Philonius posted:

It has famously been said that naval strategy is built strategy. In other words, you go to war with the navy you have, not the navy you wish you had, and the war will probably be over before you can meaningfully replace losses with new builds. (Unless you're the biggest economy in the world during WW2 and you go absolutely berserk).

Yeah. Japan's entire military strategy against the United States was "do a surprise attack and sink enough of their navy that they'll have to agree to favourable terms because they won't have an effective navy to fight us with", because replacing lost ships takes so long. It didn't work, largely because the crucial three aircraft carriers the US Pacific Fleet had at the time happened to be out of Pearl Harbor on December 6th and their survival allowed the United States to cling on for dear life.

It can't be stressed enough how incredibly, amazingly, shockingly, uniquely massive America's warship production was during World War II, and even then they didn't let ships sink if they could do absolutely anything about it. One of the big things that won the war for the United States was their extremely high competence in damage control, because it enabled them to keep their ships afloat and fighting.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 11, 2023

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

zone posted:

With my bald pattern, I have a natural monk's tonsure so I shave it all. I might rock a demon's tonsure and see how it goes.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Yes, although its v. questionable if it were actually Ukraine military and not partisan fighters.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah. Japan's entire military strategy against the United States was "do a surprise attack and sink enough of their navy that they'll have to agree to favourable terms because they won't have an effective navy to fight us with", because replacing lost ships takes so long.

It can't be stressed enough how incredibly, amazingly, shockingly, uniquely massive America's warship production was during World War II, and even then they didn't let ships sink if they could do absolutely anything about it. One of the big things that won the war for the United States was their extremely high competence in damage control, because it enabled them to keep their ships afloat and fighting.

:hai: They also raised every working battleship except the Arizona. I don't think the Japanese considered what it would take to actually keep those ships out of the war.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

It's possible, until we know more there are several possibilities that could be true

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If Robotine has fallen, there are mitigating considerations I read on Telegram

First, because Ukrainians are really Russians, they fight like demons, in the Russian tradition. Thus, Ukrainians are fearsome enemies and very tough to contain. In effect, Ukrainian victories are won by Russians so don't be depressed.

Secondly, the whole point of war is to destroy your enemy - it doesn't matter if Ukraine recaptures territory because of the horrendous casualties. Those casualties increase exponentially the more land retaken. If Ukraine recaptures all of Ukraine, there will be no more Ukrainians and Russia wins.

In all cases, the glory of Russia is clear, no matter what happens.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I need that explained to me in the form of a Matryoshka doll analogy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

I need that explained to me in the form of a Matryoshka doll analogy.

well tovarish, you see Ukrainians are <<little russians>> and like matryoshki where little dolls fit inside big dolls, little russians and white russians fit into great russia

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the popes toes posted:

If Robotine has fallen, there are mitigating considerations I read on Telegram

First, because Ukrainians are really Russians, they fight like demons, in the Russian tradition. Thus, Ukrainians are fearsome enemies and very tough to contain. In effect, Ukrainian victories are won by Russians so don't be depressed.

Secondly, the whole point of war is to destroy your enemy - it doesn't matter if Ukraine recaptures territory because of the horrendous casualties. Those casualties increase exponentially the more land retaken. If Ukraine recaptures all of Ukraine, there will be no more Ukrainians and Russia wins.

In all cases, the glory of Russia is clear, no matter what happens.

Demilitarization is going along as planed as well, with M1 and F-16s on the way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah. Japan's entire military strategy against the United States was "do a surprise attack and sink enough of their navy that they'll have to agree to favourable terms because they won't have an effective navy to fight us with", because replacing lost ships takes so long. It didn't work, largely because the crucial three aircraft carriers the US Pacific Fleet had at the time happened to be out of Pearl Harbor on December 6th and their survival allowed the United States to cling on for dear life.

Yeah, Japan almost certainly would have won Midway and basically wiped the U.S. carrier fleet if the Yorktown hadn't been patched up 5-30x faster than initial repair estimates after the Japanese wrote it off as sunk.

...and the U.S. war production effort was so insane it could still have rebuilt its carrier fleet and beaten Japan even if that happened.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

As with most militaristic/expansionist empires, Japan also saw America as weak and not having the stomach for war. Hence, the famous "sleeping giant" comment predicting that American inaction up to that point was not due to fear

feel free to draw your own parallels to more modern conflicts

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
There was absolutely no way Japan was ever going to defeat the United States militarily. Even if Japan had destroyed every single blue water ship the entire US Navy possessed in both the Pacific and the Atlantic, Japan would never be able to defeat America because Japan had no capability of its own to project force across the Pacific in any meaningful capacity to make a military threat to the mainland possible. And that's not even getting into the massive economic and industrial gap between the two (one of the major reasons for attacking the US in the first place was because FDR stopped the sale of oil, rubber, and scrap steel to Japan) and Japan has no mineral resources to speak of in the home islands except for a small amount of super lovely iron

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wasn't Admiral Yamamoto against the whole stupid plan in the first place, having spent time in Texas? I seem to recall something like that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Wasn't Admiral Yamamoto against the whole stupid plan in the first place, having spent time in Texas? I seem to recall something like that.

Yeah, he was the one with the sleeping giant quote.

He also thought Americans were soft and dumb and weak, but he was one of the few members of the brass who had been to America and seen that they were soft dumb weak people who also had enough industrial capacity to casually crush Japan.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, Japan almost certainly would have won Midway and basically wiped the U.S. carrier fleet if the Yorktown hadn't been patched up 5-30x faster than initial repair estimates after the Japanese wrote it off as sunk.

...and the U.S. war production effort was so insane it could still have rebuilt its carrier fleet and beaten Japan even if that happened.

there was also the whole full on Shadow of Mordor story the Enterprise had with Japan in general. she was reported sunk like 3 or 4 times and kept loving showing back up.

CommissarMega posted:

he was fine with it SO LONG AS they got the carriers. but he never got the truly positive IDs for them in pearl harbor before the attack, and he was famously unhappy after the battle report came back in and he found out they hadn't even gotten a single carrier, let alone the 3 he was needing to bag.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

These things are loving crazy and I love them.

"What if we made a shotgun that was like... really big? And also a missile."

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

and uses shot that is far harder than the hardest steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Xaxaxaxa is tiny little hole *revs engine, black smoke*