Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Messing around on Arena sucks because there's no such thing as dollar rares, the fun jank is just as expensive as the good meta stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Jabor posted:

Messing around on Arena sucks because there's no such thing as dollar rares, the fun jank is just as expensive as the good meta stuff.

also painfully true and only mitigated by judiciously obtaining and spending weekly gold on drafts or outright buying packs with gold

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've spent a single digit amount of WCs on Arena in my ~year of playing it, draft all the way. You can easily cobble together a workable standard/alchemy deck from the precons + draft chaff, and yes, my manabases suck but I simply do not care

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I should probably mess with arena a little more at some point

But a huge part of magic for me is the social aspect, even if there's the occasional goober. Playing it on the PC/phone just doesn't scratch the same itch

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

How are you having enough wildcards to mess around on arena? Every set I'd have like 10 wildcards banked because I didn't finish my deck from the last set and now I'm behind again.

Draft enough to rare complete sets as they come out, I started playing during NEO and I'm rare complete for most sets since then (skipped drafting HBG, didn't do a lot of LTR so far, didn't crack packs yet for MOM but is basically complete, and lol MAT).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I should probably mess with arena a little more at some point

But a huge part of magic for me is the social aspect, even if there's the occasional goober. Playing it on the PC/phone just doesn't scratch the same itch

For me it doesn't scratch the same itch, but it does scratch a different one

For me a balanced diet is at least two or three times a month of in person play, with as many games as I feel like on arena when I just want to grind a certain deck or archetype

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

How are you having enough wildcards to mess around on arena? Every set I'd have like 10 wildcards banked because I didn't finish my deck from the last set and now I'm behind again.

How are you not?

e: I usually make 1-3 decks per standard and don't experiment much. Lots of drafting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Many people don't have interest in doing the drafting homework to play what they are there for: constructed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

HootTheOwl posted:

Bank gold and gems, draft a lot, etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Want to play constructed easier? Do this thing that isn’t constructed! Easy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also is expensive unless you're already really good.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Many people don't have interest in doing the drafting homework to play what they are there for: constructed.
That sucks

Sickening posted:

Want to play constructed easier? Do this thing that isn’t constructed! Easy.
It's a free to play game, you either invest time or money. The question was how to get a lot of WCs and it was answered

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
well then the other answer is just spend money

great chat

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

uggy posted:

well then the other answer is just spend money

great chat
That is literally it, though? I'm not happy that the game is set up like that for people who only want to play Constructed, but it's a sad fact of Arena that you will not get a lot of packs and thus Wildcards just from playing Constructed. If you get good enough at drafting that you can go a mixture of 3-3 and 4-3 on average, you can draft almost for free, and with a few drafts to convert money to gems instead of gems into a bit less gems (but packs), you can gain a bit of a buffer.

That is, imo, pretty good for a free to play game - many goons are actually able to draft as much as they want by being of just slightly above average skill, and they are super happy to help with the "homework" in the Arena thread and in the Discord. If you are absolutely dead set on NEVER wanting to draft then yes, bad news, sorry.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

You can grind constructed events as well for each standard set. I made quite a lot doing this when prepping for the Standard RC. Of course this means you have a good enough deck to regularly win those events but they are pretty soft overall.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have brought this up before WRT Arena: Each set you basically have to choose one deck, good/bad it doesn't matter, if you don't spend money or draft often that's your deck for the season. And this means you can't gently caress around, because you need the deck to be good enough and therefore have to pick a meta deck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

This, basically.
In paper I go to the bulk box and just grab a bunch of cards the LGS is happy to get anything for. On Arena Sheoldred costs as much as Sanctum of All

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Arena sucks because the only format that matches paper is standard and draft. I can't use the platform to practice anything but those formats.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mtg online is probably more reasonable for playing exclusively constructed. if you like both draft and constructed, arena is overall going to be cheaper

this is assuming you're playing for volume. If you want to play with friends, then cockatrice, tts and in person are better than either mtgo or mtga, even without the computer-enforced rules

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Arena sucks because the only format that matches paper is standard and draft. I can't use the platform to practice anything but those formats.

This is honestly the bigger problem.

I guess they have historic too but I've heard you have to use the alchemy stuff there now? If they had pioneer or somehow managed to put modern on there I'd be more interested but from what I understand it's somewhat close on the former and possibly never on the latter?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Historic has never been a paper format.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Well explorer has mono green nykthos has everything but oath of nissa and caryatid so you can be one of the 50% of players that play that. Or be in the other 40% that plays indomitable creativity which is just missing dig through time.

Azorius spirits, rakdos sacrifice and mono white (unless you want to play kytheon) are all there. Same with azorius control except for a sideboard brimaz which could be Adeline.

The only deck that doesn't have a 98-100% equivalent is hidden strings.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

Well explorer has mono green nykthos has everything but oath of nissa and caryatid so you can be one of the 50% of players that play that. Or be in the other 40% that plays indomitable creativity which is just missing dig through time.

Azorius spirits, rakdos sacrifice and mono white (unless you want to play kytheon) are all there. Same with azorius control except for a sideboard brimaz which could be Adeline.

The only deck that doesn't have a 98-100% equivalent is hidden strings.

If the decks aren't complete, they aren't complete. Having 95% of a deck is pretty loving meaningless. Those missing cards aren't being played in paper for their charm, they are being played because they are critical to the deck.

And when playing the complete decks you are playing a meta which doesn't match up to paper and doesn't give you good practice.

Hidden strings isn't the only missing deck. Convoke and pia aren't in explorer and more.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 11, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

It's never been sanctioned in paper, but before jumpstart: historic horizons, which was when they introduced the online-only mechanics seek/conjure/perpetual/spellbook, it was possible to play in paper. I remember that up to that point, there had been a nascent and growing movement of people building historic decks in paper. it was a weirdo format that grew at a steady and decent cadence as older cards were implemented on arena, through anthologies (bundles of old cards that entered historic directly) and through bonus sheets like strixhaven's mystical archives. it was fun because the format was still small enough at the time that weird old cards could shake up the format. It was truly a neat experience that leveraged the history of magic in a unique way, and then they threw it all away to turn it into hearthstone

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Sickening posted:

If the decks aren't complete, they aren't complete. Having 95% of a deck is pretty loving meaningless. Those missing cards aren't being played in paper for their charm, they are being played because they are critical to the deck.

And when playing the complete decks you are playing a meta which doesn't match up to paper and doesn't give you good practice.

Hidden strings isn't the only missing deck. Convoke and pia aren't in explorer and more.

Mono green nykthos sure as poo poo doesn't need oath of nissa to function.

The pia deck is admittedly missing 4x chained to the rock which probably hurts its playability but I have seen it played in explorer.

Boros convoke is missing bushwhacker but again I've seen it played with leosaur to great effect.

All I'm saying is explorer may not be perfect but it's close and a pretty good way of getting a feel of the pioneer archetypes. If you don't like explorer it's not likely that you'll find pioneer enjoyable. And you won't be out the price of a paper deck.

And unless you are practicing for a tournament who cares if you aren't playing or playing against an optimal list.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

sorry yeah, I meant outside of standard that's the format I heard people talk about, not that it was a paper format

Explorer is the closest, kinda I suppose

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

Mono green nykthos sure as poo poo doesn't need oath of nissa to function.

The pia deck is admittedly missing 4x chained to the rock which probably hurts its playability but I have seen it played in explorer.

Boros convoke is missing bushwhacker but again I've seen it played with leosaur to great effect.

All I'm saying is explorer may not be perfect but it's close and a pretty good way of getting a feel of the pioneer archetypes. If you don't like explorer it's not likely that you'll find pioneer enjoyable. And you won't be out the price of a paper deck.

And unless you are practicing for a tournament who cares if you aren't playing or playing against an optimal list.

Agree to disagree. Mono green is worse for not having oath.

The pia deck missing chained is a big deal.

Boros convoke missing its best finisher is a big deal.

Explorer isn't pioneer and close doesn't mean anything IMO.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I just want vintage parity :colbert:

e:

Weird Pumpkin posted:

sorry yeah, I meant outside of standard that's the format I heard people talk about, not that it was a paper format

Explorer is the closest, kinda I suppose

I mostly hear about hbrawl, which I think is a better use of the card pool. I don't mind an edh game where someone shuffles a set of power into their deck, or does a "seek," or plays a 6-sided transform card. Because I'm not looking for a fine tuned strategic experience, I'm looking to do dumb poo poo.

e2:Also I want them to put ktk swiftspear in arena.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 11, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Yoked posted:

You can grind constructed events as well for each standard set. I made quite a lot doing this when prepping for the Standard RC. Of course this means you have a good enough deck to regularly win those events but they are pretty soft overall.

I've been curious about those. In less bad at standard than I am at drafting, go figure netdecking and all. I can sometimes get all my wins in a streak with whatever meta deck, other times bad matchups or get outplayed. Is it something you can throw down like a monored aggro or monowhite humans and do alright or is the higher stakes mean less decks that fold to aggro?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I have brought this up before WRT Arena: Each set you basically have to choose one deck, good/bad it doesn't matter, if you don't spend money or draft often that's your deck for the season. And this means you can't gently caress around, because you need the deck to be good enough and therefore have to pick a meta deck.

You don't need the deck to be particularly good, actually.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Arena is sick for drafting but if you don’t do that it’s going to cost you

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've heard constructed events aren't bad EV if you're halfway decent. Part of that might be the amount of clueless newbies that accidentally wander in. Like I've seen starter decks show up in historic events.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does Arena have a deck code function? That's one of the best QoL in Hearthstone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
you can copy and paste properly formatted lists.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

Isn’t it missing chain veil which is part of its combo package? Seems pretty important for winning board stalls.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Isn’t it missing chain veil which is part of its combo package? Seems pretty important for winning board stalls.

you can combo off with pestilent cauldron in the board if you have karn both in graveyard and play, kiora both in graveyard and play, and 11 devotion with nykthos in play (and are able to make black mana)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

reignonyourparade posted:

You don't need the deck to be particularly good, actually.

Hey, if playing the same bad deck over and over is your thing don't let me yuck your yum.
But there's a reason I'm not in the other thread.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

The further issue is constructed is best right when a set drops and you can explore things and shape the meta. Which you can’t do if you spend the first 4 weeks filling out your collection piecemeal from drafts. Doing the reverse is even worse since picking up duplicates in drafts gets you such puny amounts of gems.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ultimately for me, and I'm sure I've said this here before, they've engineered arena so that playing on it feels like a chore. They drip out progress and have all these things to keep you playing a certain amount each day, they have the ladder, they have prizes just generous enough that you won't set it aside. I just feel like a sheep sitting there to be shorn when I boot it up. So I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I caved in to my collecting impulses and decided to buy one collector pack of Commander Masters.

\

Not the textured foil version, but I'll gladly take it.

Now I should really look into finally building a Commander deck since I have a lot of tools...