Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

freeedr posted:

We used to rent NES games from the local video rental place each weekend and generally we would rent it, beat it immediately, play it several more times, and take it back the next day.

We rented two or three movies and often a game each weekend from them. They held a contest where the winner got free rentals for one year and my family won. The first time we rented our free movies the guy that owned it falsely claimed we didn’t bring a video back in and we couldn’t rent anymore until we returned it and paid late fees. It was the most transparent way to lie his way out of giving us our prize and lose a very regular customer.

Also he accidentally gave us Flesh Gordon instead of Flash Gordon one time, which, ha

Flesh Gordon had some brilliant practical effects for its budget, I'll say that for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Flesh Gordon had some brilliant practical effects for its budget, I'll say that for it.

And one of the best theme songs ever, obviously.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

root beer posted:

I’m pretty sure hopeful that was posted as a joke, in the way that people always sarcastically rush breathlessly in to point out what is basic knowledge to anyone our age who was into video games back then

It was a reference to the Super Mario Playset video series from the Flash Tub by Shmorky. One video specifically deals with Super Mario 2 and Doki Doki Panic.

When people still kinda went to the main site.

(Remember there actually IS a main site)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

It was a reference to the Super Mario Playset video series from the Flash Tub by Shmorky. One video specifically deals with Super Mario 2 and Doki Doki Panic.

When people still kinda went to the main site.

(Remember there actually IS a main site)

Have you tried going to https://www.somethingawful.com recently? You might be a bit surprised to find what the main site really is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Inceltown posted:

Have you tried going to https://www.somethingawful.com recently? You might be a bit surprised to find what the main site really is.

Woa, I never noticed that either

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Lol that the incredibly embarrassing Phiz Kalifa apology to the furries is the last article posted to the front page.

Double lol that everyone was ok with Lowtax deleting it for being cringe even though we all hated that bastard by that point .

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Inceltown posted:

WTF?

That makes sense though, the articles have been poo poo for years

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LookieLoo posted:

WTF?

That makes sense though, the articles have been poo poo for years

Jeffrey changed it when Reddit started shooting itself in the foot and the forums saw a bunch of returning users.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Haha

"There's a front page?"

"No"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
End of an era.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

maybealabia posted:

Holy poo poo they're still making sequels

Sequels you can play on the switch https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/giana-sisters-twisted-dreams-owltimate-edition-switch/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The front page is a cost center.

The forums are a profit center.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
woah wait

there's not a front page?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

woah wait

It's a front page

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

DesperateDan posted:

woah wait

It's still here, just the main url redirects to the forums.

https://www.somethingawful.com/frontpage/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I almost replied with something about Aragorn kicking the helmet or Wojtek the bear

But yeah, another game renter here. My brother and I were very used to the idea that we would only realistically get about 2-3 hours to play a given game, so finding out later that most other kids would beat games was an :aaaaa: discovery for me. To me a game was something that had infinite hours of playability and increasing difficulty far outlasting anybody's ability to play it.

That is, until SMB2 which we actually beat and it was like the accomplishment of a lifetime

We made VHS recordings of the few ending scenes we could reach because we thought it was arcane knowledge

If it makes you feel any better I was't beating poo poo, at least not regularly. I think I beat Jackal a bunch and that's about it

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

gbut posted:

The first and only game me and my friends beat was Giana Sisters. We were not even aware of Mario Bros et al. at the time nor for many years later.

e: I guess this might qualify as a FP

Germania delenda est

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Groda posted:

Germania delenda est

We tried

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

- a German

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sound on:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ri20no2a451vmobp0.mp4

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Guy knows how to advertise.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

drat horror queefs posted:

It's still here, just the main url redirects to the forums.

https://www.somethingawful.com/frontpage/

I love this too, the front page is not the front page while still being the front page.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That cat is awesome. Failing to see the problem with it unless he starts in with that poo poo at sunrise when I'm still sleeping.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Remember when lowtax got driven out but still added a frontpage article about how there's too many pride flags these days? That sure was something awful!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BiggerBoat posted:

That cat is awesome. Failing to see the problem with it unless he starts in with that poo poo at sunrise when I'm still sleeping.

Spoilers:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

1stGear posted:

Spoilers:

As a cat haver, can confirm

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

DesperateDan posted:

woah wait

congrats, we've officially outlived this joke

I actually find it kind of sad, but then again I'm part of the problem since I never went there.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The old front page is dying
We’re the best that Jeffrey has

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

1stGear posted:

Spoilers:

The Bananana posted:

As a cat haver, can confirm

Yeah, maybe. I've had loudmouth I'M HUNGRY WAKE UP cats before but that one was just chill as gently caress on the window sill until It Was Time to Eat.

Good cat.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

DesperateDan posted:

woah wait

the forums got circumsized

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The front page fell off.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

ellie the beep posted:

the forums got circumsized

Oh, no, are we a Silent Hill game now?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

The stems and seeds of the last of the corpbussy

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
who want they corpbussy ate

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So is a corporate takeover a larger corporation domming a twink corporation?

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So is a corporate takeover a larger corporation domming a twink corporation?

Don’t Inc.-shame.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Anyone who lurked this site in the mid 2000s or with a reg date before 2009 should know this poo poo.

Yup. Not everyone is an elder though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

The stems and seeds of the last of the corpbussy

Innovative use of concrete