Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

But ladies older than 40 love that store

And where t f am I supposed to get my scrapbooking supplies??

I recently noticed a store that was dedicated to scrapbooking the other day. I had a weird compulsion to come back in the day and go in there even though I've never scrapbooked in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Jetpens offers a decent amount of materials for scrapbooking. Also look to see if there are any fountain pen shows or something similar coming to town near you. Seriously.

https://www.sfpenshow.com/

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Keep an eye on Jo-Ann Fabrics!

And I just got into sewing :smith:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Companies circling the drain: Jo-Ann Fabrics death watch

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jo-Ann Fabrics Death Swatch

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ariong posted:

Jo-Ann Fabrics Death Swatch

much better

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

If anyone else was curious, the "Ditto" device mentioned in there is an 800$ sewing pattern projector. That you then need to subscribe to a 10$ a month/99$ a year. Or you can purchase individual patterns for 12$ and up a pop.

I'm sure it sold like gangbusters.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Companies circling the drain: Jo-Ann Fabrics Death Swatch

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ultrafilter posted:

Companies circling the drain: Jo-Ann Fabrics Death Swatch

:mods:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Weatherman posted:

Is Game of Thrones and the whole "winter is coming" shtick the one where it turned out the entire thing was just the imagination of a boy with autism holiding a snowglobe?

No that was 30 Rock.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Shneak posted:

No that was 30 Rock.

You're thinking of E.R, and it was all in Kubiak from Parker Lewis's head.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

AvesPKS posted:

You're thinking of E.R, and it was all in Kubiak from Parker Lewis's head.

Thank god Uncle Jesse and Steve Smith showed up later on to save the day

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Keep an eye on Jo-Ann Fabrics!

Aw dammit that was the one national chain store that reliably stocked my cocktail and cook books. Apparently not reliably enough.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Weatherman posted:

Is Game of Thrones and the whole "winter is coming" shtick the one where it turned out the entire thing was just the imagination of a boy with autism holiding a snowglobe?
yes but the boy is a gross old man and the snowglobe is his dick

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jo-Ann's dying? Where am I going to get cheap acrylic paint?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The last time I was at a Jo-Ann it was because I wanted one picture frame. But then there was a confusing sort of "deal" on picture frames, and I ended up buying three frames, and spending way more than I thought I was gonna, even though I swear I studied all the signage fully and completely

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Everything is always on sale at Jo-Ann. The sale is never actually a good deal.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Aw, man. I have no great love of Jo-Ann Fabrics but they're pretty much the only alternative to Hobby Lobby here other than Walmart. :(

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SwimNurd posted:

Everything is always on sale at Jo-Ann. The sale is never actually a good deal.

I hate that human psychology makes this work. So many "sales" that aren't worth anything. I'm sad JCPenney (I think) failed when they just lowered prices instead of having sales.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chaotic Flame posted:

I hate that human psychology makes this work. So many "sales" that aren't worth anything. I'm sad JCPenney (I think) failed when they just lowered prices instead of having sales.

Seems like something Star Trek should have a Ferengi call us out on. Forget about the root beer thing, stupid hyu-mons can't pass up a "sale"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Working at Fred Meyer as a teenager and trying to find any item, just one item, that wasn't "ON SALE!!!"

1,800 different products on shelves, 1,800 different ON SALE tags someone had to tape up. Ugh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chaotic Flame posted:

I bet a store that tried that from their opening in the current day would be much more successful

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Chaotic Flame posted:

Love all the "today only, 20% off!"-type marketing emails I got literally every single day from certain companies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yes it was JCPenney. This is what happens when you spend many decades conditioning people that 'sale= you save money', and then take that away

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Phy posted:

Seems like something Star Trek should have a Ferengi call us out on. Forget about the root beer thing, stupid hyu-mons can't pass up a "sale"

Why would the Ferengi ever want to complain about that, let alone to bring it up in front of some of their best customers?

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Improbable Lobster posted:

I bet a store that tried that from their opening in the current day would be much more successful

The Hornbach chain of hardware/home improvement stores works like that in Europe and make a big deal of it in their advertising. The stores are very popular but they tend to also have better assortments than consumer-oriented DIY competitors so I imagine it's a little column A and a little column B.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hornbach is particularly notable because they had Blixa Bargeld do dramatic readings of their catalogue. Which is an absolutely insane combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kdLmXRmEec

I've never been in one because I only have a Baumarkt.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Hornbach is particularly notable because they had Blixa Bargeld do dramatic readings of their catalogue. Which is an absolutely insane combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kdLmXRmEec

I've never been in one because I only have a Baumarkt.

That fuckin rules, it’s so fitting.

Local hardware store here has loving Starship, apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw4dwiZLOSU

Never in a million years would I think anyone would base a marketing campaign around a Starship song. It’s gone on for at least the past five years. I did not expect I would hear so many riffs on the song Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now in my adult years.

There’s another company here that uses a sliver of Spandau Ballet’s True in their marketing, but that’s fine because that song rules.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why would the Ferengi ever want to complain about that, let alone to bring it up in front of some of their best customers?

I didn't say "complain", I was thinking "gloat"

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

teen witch posted:

Never in a million years would I think anyone would base a marketing campaign around a Starship song.

You'd think a hardware store would go for "We Built This City" at least

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Prof. Spaceman posted:

You'd think a hardware store would go for "We Built This City" at least

There’d be a contingent of lantisar who’d throw a fit

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
WeWork is probably headed for bankruptcy.

quote:

WeWork said in a filing on Friday that it would undergo a 1-for-40 reverse stock split to try and retain its NYSE listing.

The stock fell another 11% to 14 cents and has been trading under $1 since late March.

With cash dwindling, WeWork warned last week of its “ability to continue as a going concern.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/18/wework-plunges-another-11percent-after-announcing-1-40-reverse-stock-split.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Time to cue up "Tricky" again

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Platystemon posted:

But Hobby Lobby is where I go to see stolen and fraudulent antiquities.

Bringing the British Museum to you!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

I would have sworn it went bankrupt ages ago.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We've had one, yes. What about second bankruptcy?

Alternatively: what about chapter elevenses?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

Alternatively: what about chapter elevenses?

:mods:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm amazed WeWork has hung on this long considering all of the poo poo that happened with its founder, and then on top of that Covid killing the commercial real estate market.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm amazed WeWork has hung on this long considering all of the poo poo that happened with its founder, and then on top of that Covid killing the commercial real estate market.

From what I understand, they basically just leveraged their VC piggy bank to stay afloat and now it’s run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i only know of WeWork because I used to deliver boxes of fruit to one of their offices. The place looked pretty sparse. Clean though so maybe they kept the janitorial still.