Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Monkey posted:

Thanks I'll give it a try.

yw :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Captain Monkey posted:

Gout is no joke. I've got a genetic predisposition to gout/kidney stones (my dad gets one or two stones a year even on an aggressive diet for it) and gout is basically just a few days of absolute hell and hobbling around. First happened when I was 23 years old. There's a medieval image of a demon gnawing on a toe, and it's is very very accurate. It's like you have glass embedded in the meat around your joint.

So good luck goons, don't eat stuff high in purines like organ meats. Or tuna. Or green leafy vegetables.

Eat cherries, or at least drink the juice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6914931/

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just realized The Jungle Book is stupid.

At the scene where the wolves are discussing Sher Kahn, the pack leader says "even the strength of the pack is no match for the tiger."

loving bullshit. There's at least a dozen wolves in that scene. Even if you say the female wolves can't fight because Victorian Sexism, that's still 6 wolves vs. one tiger. Sher Kahn would get ripped apart. Either Kipling vastly overestimated tigers or grossly underestimated wolves, cuz wolves do not take any poo poo from nobody.

Yes this is the sort of thing I think of late at night when I'm supposed to be asleep. Thanks, brain.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I dunno tigers are pretty badass

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Silver Falcon posted:

I just realized The Jungle Book is stupid.

At the scene where the wolves are discussing Sher Kahn, the pack leader says "even the strength of the pack is no match for the tiger."

loving bullshit. There's at least a dozen wolves in that scene. Even if you say the female wolves can't fight because Victorian Sexism, that's still 6 wolves vs. one tiger. Sher Kahn would get ripped apart. Either Kipling vastly overestimated tigers or grossly underestimated wolves, cuz wolves do not take any poo poo from nobody.

Yes this is the sort of thing I think of late at night when I'm supposed to be asleep. Thanks, brain.

In the original story, Sher Khan was a robot tiger.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, no doctor here would presrcibe Allopurinol to a patient who's having a gout attack. It's meant to be used as a preventative, not curative. The standard (nowadays, although old and bad doctors won't know it) is a short oral corticosteroid course in diminishing doses...
Huh? They gave me Colchicine to take when I have an attack and it works just about instantly. In fact the Dr told me they use it to diagnose gout.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Wolfram is tungsten

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Captain Splendid posted:

Wolfram is tungsten

The worst part about this is tungsten literally means "heavy stone" in Swedish, but the Swedish word for it is volfram :psyduck:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Remulak posted:

Huh? They gave me Colchicine to take when I have an attack and it works just about instantly. In fact the Dr told me they use it to diagnose gout.

Those are different drugs.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Captain Splendid posted:

Wolfram is tungsten

Which I now realized is why its symbol is W!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A whole lot of the basic elements have different names in different languages. Potassium is Kalium etc

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I learned a few Latin words like that!

Aurum
Plumbum
Nacium
Cuprum

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cum

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's normal to put both salt and pepper on a fried egg, but not on a boiled egg.

We talking hard or soft boiled? Cause I put S+P on hard boiled eggs all the time, decent little high protein snack I try to bring with me in my lunches instead of, like, chips or something. But a soft boiled? Yeah, I guess now that I think about it, the few times I ever make a soft boiled egg, it's pretty much just eaten as is...but it's rare I do that. Only if I feel like making "fancy ramen" with a soft-boiled egg.

If I want egg with a runny yolk to, say, dip my toast into, I just make over easy eggs which DO get salt and pepper, as you mentioned.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The name 'Ursula' means 'little she-bear'

Pretty obvious when you think about it, I just never thought about it before. :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The term tensile strength has roots etymologically with utensil(s) when they were first being widely used and had to have a strong utensil when at a dinner or banquet. No one wants to be taking a chunk of meat or a potato and have their utensil get bent out of shape.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MariusLecter posted:

The term tensile strength has roots etymologically with utensil(s) when they were first being widely used and had to have a strong utensil when at a dinner or banquet. No one wants to be taking a chunk of meat or a potato and have their utensil get bent out of shape.

when im bored or just doing something mindless like walking, i like lemmatizing words to figure out why they mean what they mean — ie the above + tension, tense or defer, confer, refer, etc etc

its also a fun little game to try and put a new pre- or suffix to sometihng and see if that makes sense. like say you have the stem side & go okay inside, aside, upside, how about withside? maybe that could mean "along with"?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whatever you deside

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Tensile actually comes from the latin root word 'tenso', basically meaning 'to stretch' :eng101:

Something getting 'bent out of shape' would be more flexural strength. Which has it's root word in 'flecto'... literally just 'to bend'.

Materials science is remarkably straightforward with most of its terms. Even a lot of specific things like phases within steel, martensite, austenite, etc are just 'some guy's name' + 'ite'.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

MariusLecter posted:

Can't find any evidence for this. "Tensile" ultimately comes from the proto-Indo-European root word "*ten-" meaning "to stretch," through the Latin "tensus." "Utensil" also comes from Latin and just means "thing one uses," from "uti" meaning "use." As far as I can tell from looking up their etymologies, their similarity in spelling is simply a coincidence.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Carthag Tuek posted:

when im bored or just doing something mindless like walking, i like lemmatizing words to figure out why they mean what they mean — ie the above + tension, tense or defer, confer, refer, etc etc

its also a fun little game to try and put a new pre- or suffix to sometihng and see if that makes sense. like say you have the stem side & go okay inside, aside, upside, how about withside? maybe that could mean "along with"?

/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Carthag Tuek posted:

Same and also make up poo poo.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Can't find any evidence for this. "Tensile" ultimately comes from the proto-Indo-European root word "*ten-" meaning "to stretch," through the Latin "tensus." "Utensil" also comes from Latin and just means "thing one uses," from "uti" meaning "use." As far as I can tell from looking up their etymologies, their similarity in spelling is simply a coincidence.

Lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My brother told me that velodrome came from the Latin velus, to cycle

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ishikabibble posted:

Something getting 'bent out of shape' would be more flexural strength. Which has it's root word in 'flecto'... literally just 'to bend'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

inside, aside, upside, how about withside? maybe that could mean "along with"?

Gonna replace the known slur “cis” with this.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If anything, I'd think utensils need compressive strength, not tensile

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

If anything, I'd think utensils need compressive strength, not tensile

poo poo, I've been eating food wrong this whole time

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Eyes are directional antennas

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

broadcast antennae

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Walruses are equipped with death rays...Got it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Guillermo del Toro and Benicio del Toro are not brothers, and in fact Benicio isn’t even from Mexico

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Benicio isn’t even from Mexico

Duh, he's from The Bull

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Harry Styles is not in fact the actor that portrayed Theon Greyjoy in Game of Thrones.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

MariusLecter posted:

Harry Styles is not in fact the actor that portrayed Theon Greyjoy in Game of Thrones.

Correct, he's the prince of England.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ommin posted:

Correct, he's the prince of England.

They have one too? :sigh: Well, I bet ours is at least a better guitar player.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

To return to etymology chat, the Icelandic word teppi (blanket), the Swedish word tapet (wallpaper), and the English word tapestry all come from the ancient greek "tapes" meaning "woolen cloth or rug used as a covering".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
And teppanyaki is meat covered in sauce.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The old 1968 psychedelic rock song Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) by The First Edition which was famously featured in the soundtrack to The Big Lebowski had country music superstar Kenny Rogers on lead vocals. I had no idea, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJP410N9Gg

Also it was technically a cover version because Teddy Hill & the Southern Soul released a version in October 1967 and Jerry Lee Lewis also released it in November 1967

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCVme78YL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2KIr4Wnp88

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

for fucks sake posted:

To return to etymology chat, the Icelandic word teppi (blanket), the Swedish word tapet (wallpaper), and the English word tapestry all come from the ancient greek "tapes" meaning "woolen cloth or rug used as a covering".

German Teppich, French tapis, Italian tappeto, Portuguese tapete etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Torquemada posted:

And teppanyaki is meat covered in sauce.
:what: