Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
America's Best still does them for 80 if it's just basic frames.

The testing is free and part of the cost.

Now if you're like me and need special lenses and resistant lenses for accidents, because I'm notoriously bad at taking care of my glasses, it adds up quick.

I also have astigmatism and one very hosed up eye from a rock accident as a younger so that adds up quick.

I hate going to the optometrist.

356 bucks goddamn, but at least I can see again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Zenni and other online retailers are hit and miss for accuracy. If you don't have a complicated prescription, they're probably fine, but if you need something like prisms that need precise placement, I wouldn't use them. They're good for backup glasses, though.

My best tip for saving money on glasses is to have new lenses put in old frames. I have a pair of prescription sunglasses that I've had for 8 years and I've updated the lenses three times.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
having recently gotten a new pair of glasses, do features like "anti scratch" coating and stuff really matter? seems like I could have saved some bucks on not getting it. (same with anti reflection?)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My Costco's eye doctor and vision center have been very good and very reasonable, poo poo the costco eye doctor using a bunch of fancy equipment that my old eye doctor didn't have is how I found out I needed prism correction after wearing glasses for 18 years.
Lenses and frames are definitely not as cheap as Zenni, but they tend to have a pretty decent selection if my picky rear end can generally find something.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

My Costco's eye doctor and vision center have been very good and very reasonable, poo poo the costco eye doctor using a bunch of fancy equipment that my old eye doctor didn't have is how I found out I needed prism correction after wearing glasses for 18 years.
Lenses and frames are definitely not as cheap as Zenni, but they tend to have a pretty decent selection if my picky rear end can generally find something.

the thing is, that machine that you look into with a picture of a hot air balloon, or a cottage down a dirt road does 99% of the work. The doctor is only there to check the picture of the inside of your eye to make sure you don't have glaucoma or some other bad poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the thing is, that machine that you look into with a picture of a hot air balloon, or a cottage down a dirt road does 99% of the work. The doctor is only there to check the picture of the inside of your eye to make sure you don't have glaucoma or some other bad poo poo

oh yeah, very clearly. Still costs less than the old man I used to go to.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

oh yeah, very clearly. Still costs less than the old man I used to go to.

I'm still super happy that they don't have to dilatate my eyes anymore. That poo poo sucked

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

PhazonLink posted:

having recently gotten a new pair of glasses, do features like "anti scratch" coating and stuff really matter? seems like I could have saved some bucks on not getting it. (same with anti reflection?)

Former optician here:

Both the anti scratch coating and anti glare are useful. Anti glare specifically if you do a lot of computer work. If you are getting polycarbonate lenses they have the anti scratch coating naturally.

I worked at LensCrafters for a long time and I would say that Zenni or any online retailer is just as good

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Remember when transition was glass and they called it greyscaling? Also sorry for turning this into eyeglass chat

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Remember when transition was glass and they called it greyscaling? Also sorry for turning this into eyeglass chat

Meh, this is all good chat. Help goonfund, definitely. But tips or tricks to save money on other random stuff should be a standard here.

Not like an Extreme Couponing level, but hey this eye sight website is good for blah blah.

I had lasik about 15 years ago, I'm 40 now, so I'm starting to wonder.

and that little puff of air they blow into your eye? For cataracts, I think? You should get to kick the doctor in the nuts, once per.

I just donate a bit here and there when i participate or start a derail.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 23, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

Took a sec to remind myself how much I had going to this monthly and it looks like my last donation only did the initial donation and didn't reoccur. Fixing that.

Nah.

I think Cspam needs a nice example of "good things can actually be done in the real world if you actually put effort into it" to counter the doomerism.

But maybe other subforums can have threads about it?

the Cspam thread is what shows up on google search, initially. gross. lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

the Cspam thread is what shows up on google search, initially. gross. lol

that is also how I felt about cspam. gross. lol

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

This is particularly relevant to me being diabetic and checking for retinal damage. There's an optional service not covered by my health insurance (for being diabetic) that takes images of my retinas to track any damage. It's gone from $20/yr to $30/yr. I think it's worth it, and I pay for it, but it shouldn't cost extra. And so far my eyes aren't showing any damage from the diabeetus which makes me happy.

Again I am extremely lucky to have insurance through the ACA (Obamacare) that covers the exam for free.

Thanks for all the suggestions to get cheaper spectacles too; I'll check them out if local sources like Success Vision Express don't work.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 24, 2023

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
eyebuydirect is where I get my glasses from and I have been very happy with every pair and they were several hundred dollars cheaper than every brick and mortar store out there.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Got a new job so I signed up for 5 bucks a month

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Don't ever tell anyone that I donated.

Those In the know will know.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

I made a pledge to do a reoccurring $10 month donation to Goonfund to repay it and I will stick by my word!

I have my $10 donation in! Thank you Goonfund again through getting us through a tricky time!

Zalim
Sep 16, 2007
this is cool as poo poo

count me in

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
In for a hundo. Good luck gentle goons.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Came into an unexpected windfall and donated a chunk. Big thanks to RQC and the board for organizing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Argyle posted:

Came into an unexpected windfall and donated a chunk. Big thanks to RQC and the board for organizing.

a genuine holy poo poo and thank you :eyepop:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Argyle posted:

Daddy Warbucks over here!

Just kidding! I don't know how much you donated, but it was kind of you to do so.

I threw a bit y'alls way.

Good things happening, here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thank you so much goonfund, I got into a real pinch this month and would've been caught in the overdraft fee spiral if it weren't for you guys!!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hi fund folks, I submitted a request earlier this week and haven't heard back. Any way to check the status? 125 would help get me closer to rent this month.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Hi fund folks, I submitted a request earlier this week and haven't heard back. Any way to check the status? 125 would help get me closer to rent this month.

You had put your deadline as 8/14, so we usually wait until the deadline nears to make sure we can take care of people with either more immediate needs or people who requested before you. We will very likely take care of it sometime before Sunday.

As for being able to check requests yourselves, it's actually something we discussed implementing. But, as you can expect, projects take longer to plan out when everyone's a volunteer working at their own pace.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Goonfund helped me pay my phone bill this month, thank you goonfund

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Been enjoying this community for over a decade so... count me in for a monthly donation, hope it helps some goons through whatever life throws their way.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Im back to work so restarted my monthly, will try to double it soon

Bums me out so many goons are struggling shouldnt we all be rich computer people or something :smith:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

bus hustler posted:

Im back to work so restarted my monthly, will try to double it soon

Bums me out so many goons are struggling shouldnt we all be rich computer people or something :smith:

That and financially stable weird media people. Slender man came from here, goddamnit!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Copy pasting this announcement and financials section from CSPAM for those allergic to that forum -

JULY 2023 FINANCIALS UPDATE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS:

July was a lot more laid back than June was for us, were it not for a huge influx of requests in the final couple days of the month, we would have likely limped into August with very little funds. But, we did have a lot of requests and many goons answered our call for help uh quite handsomely! So handsomely, we were able to pay a large expense that had been looming over the fund for a while - which I will get into momentarily.

*I don't want to beat around the bush since we do have some bad news that I have been hoping and praying was resolved much sooner. About 2 weeks ago, we received a message from stripe that they could no longer verify our website and were doing an audit of our account. We never set up a website, however Stripe allowed us to create a twitter account and use that as our website with no issues. However... thanks to new X.com policies, you can no longer find that twitter account without being logged in - which is what triggered the automatic flagging on Stripe's end. We have complied with everything Stripe has requested of us - detailing out our business model, breaking down what we 'sell' (charitable services), how open we are to our 'customers' (I hope you all know that you are giving to a charity, if not then please read the OP lol), and how we conduct business. They were still not satisfied with our answers and wanted a website to view that details out all of this... and thanks to speng We now have a very barebones website that is essentially just the OP. We thought that would be the end of it, however, Stripe is now in week 3 of their 1-2 day review and has now paused all payouts to us. We currently have about $1K sitting with Stripe that they won't give to us until they are satisfied with their review. I reached out yesterday to ask if they require more of us or if they could push back the payout stoppage until their review has completed, but all I got back was "We understand this is an issue for you, but we need more time to complete our review."

*I do want to stress that we are not hardup for money right now. We currently have about $1k in the bank, and a couple hundred with venmo, so the small day to day stuff can still be handled. But requests with deadlines in a couple weeks are being put on hold until that time comes to make sure we have funds for anything immediate. We have contemplated moving to a different payment processor, but we are divided on whether stripe is just dragging their feet or planning to cut us off. We are hoping the issue gets resolved very quickly.

Some good news that came out of this, was to prove that we are an actual charity and because we finally had the funds for it - WE HAVE FILED TO BECOME A 501C3 STATUS CHARITY!! So you may be asking, well why did it take you so long to do so? Well, you see, the fund originally was a small thing that we were expecting to have a max of about $3k a month in revenue - which would mean we could file an amended form 1023 - which is about 6 pages, asks simple questions, and only costs $275. Unfortunately we are, as they say, suffering from success and averaging about $6542 a month in revenue... putting us over the $50K expected threshold for annual income. This means we are disqualified from filing amended form 1023 and had to file the regular form 1023... which is 40 pages long and took me 5 hours to fill out - not including the hours of research I had to do to figure out exactly how to file, what category of charity would be best to be classified as, how a mutual fund should qualify itself to the IRS, etc. Oh also, it costs $600 to file the regular form instead of $275.

*A big requirement of filing, or at least one that made it a LOT easier to file - was to make sure that no officer of the fund is operating with the expectation to receive money back. Meaning the money Speng, KCW, and I fronted the fund has been officially reclassed to member donations as of 6/30/23. Any money we spend on the fund going forward will be treated this way, and we cannot give $100 to cover an expense for the fund one day and expect it back when the fund is able.

*Also as a misc announcement - for repeat requestors - PLEASE don't request via Cashapp, Paypal, or Venmo for funds. I know this can seem really easy but it is incredibly difficult to track the trail of the request days or weeks later. I know it can be an inconvenience to fill out the same information again, but you are saving a lot of manhours on our end by going through the google form instead of the apps.

A lot of announcements this time! Who knew a little fund on a dying gay website would have so much to say lol.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If I had the dough I'd chip in, you guys are doing great work. Charity is important. I'll re-evaluate my finances next month and see if I can support fellow goons.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I tried signing up with one of the monthly donation links in the OP but it's telling me my phone number is invalid (even though the credit card info was accepted)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Devils Affricate posted:

I tried signing up with one of the monthly donation links in the OP but it's telling me my phone number is invalid (even though the credit card info was accepted)

If that icon before your number is right, you're not a US resident. We are only able to operate inside the USA in order to maintain tax law compliance.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

If that icon before your number is right, you're not a US resident. We are only able to operate inside the USA in order to maintain tax law compliance.

Oh, I didn't even notice that. I'm a US resident but for some reason it defaulted to a random country. Changed it to US and now it worked!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
As someone somewhat knowledgeable about tax stuff, I will recommend you talk to a tax practitioner about the 1099-K stuff that's going to come down the pike at the end of the year. It's going to apply to anyone/entity with over $600 in receipts from Venmo and other sorts of third party cash apps and, I'll be honest, the IRS hasn't done a great job at communicating the coming problems that are inevitably gonna occur because of the cliff from $20k in gross to $600

I'm not sure how that works with a 501c3 but I'd recommend keeping an eye out regardless because they're definitely going to be looking at compliance around that form come tax season

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Nooner posted:

Didn't we try this already and a mod just used it to buy themselves a new laptop? Lol

When I was a kid I was part of that super cool "LivingWithStyle" SA clone forum that had it's own pRoPRiEtArY CUrrEnCy / forums economy that gave you fake internet coins for posting. You got more for posting "high quality" content but the nature of the algorithm was never disclosed publicly. At one point the creator (who passed away years ago if I remember correctly, RIP) even offered to exchange these internet coins for real cold hard cash. It was wayyy ahead of buttcoin. Being a poor, horny, teen on a forum full of thirsty neckbeards I decided on this awesome plan to create a megathread in the SA Mart-equivalent to crowdsource funds for getting the women forums members to post their tits. It was called "Girls of LWS" or something like that. Some ladies showed more than others and some titties were more desired than others because they belonged to more prominent forums members / mods and such. No one could really decide how the funds should be distributed and ultimately everyone just sort of forgot about it and I ended up keeping the majority of it.

Anyway this reminded me that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

LiterallyAnything posted:

Anyway this reminded me that.

Ya thanks for that

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
For anyone who comes here via the LC we don't need gawking posts

Keep it on topic because this is important to a lot of goons

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

For anyone who comes here via the LC we don't need gawking posts

Keep it on topic because this is important to a lot of goons

hey seth i'm gonna contribute to the goonfund anyway but if you ban that dude i'll throw in a bonus :tenbux: for making me read that nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've never seen anyone banned twice for the same post.

Sending :10bux::10bux: to the goonfund in memory of creepy McFuckface there.