Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BattleMaster posted:

Machine gun was super easy to compensate for, you just slowly move your mouse as you fire. I don't miss the recoil though, because I think it was completely unnecessary.

I've just never liked recoil as a mechanic in any games other than milsims.

The MG in particular is already inaccurate as poo poo so having recoil on top of THAT was just... :psyduck:

That said, I'm actually really digging Quake 2 for the first time in like 20 years! I echo the level design sentiments and will also add that the music kicks supreme amounts of rear end too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know we're getting into "theorycrafting an entirely new game" now but when one of the dying grunts sits up weakly and aims at me I kinda wanna be able to run past them and do a quick mighty boot, like kicking a football.

poo poo, okay, cool. It's not just me that kept habitually hitting "Q" to penalty kick them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know we're getting into "theorycrafting an entirely new game" now but when one of the dying grunts sits up weakly and aims at me I kinda wanna be able to run past them and do a quick mighty boot, like kicking a football.

In my previous post about grenades being slow I was going to mention that I wanted a melee hotkey too, to deal with charging enemies. Then I realized I was just asking for Halo instead of Quake 2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
tbf Halo was right to add those things. It was one of the things the game did very well. Could you even add that stuff anyway? I haven't started it up since downloading it and it's been years since I played it. I'm pretty sure the grenades were a separate weapon

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
y'all talked all that poo poo about Quake 2 earlier this week

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Milo and POTUS posted:

tbf Halo was right to add those things. It was one of the things the game did very well. Could you even add that stuff anyway? I haven't started it up since downloading it and it's been years since I played it. I'm pretty sure the grenades were a separate weapon

You could make an alias that swaps to grenade and then fires, but then you'd have to swap away from it manually after (I think)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can map grenades to right click (or whatever) as like a quick draw, but they’re a separate weapon so you can’t just quick throw. (You could probably set that up with console commands if you really wanted)

Q2 doesn’t have melee at all afaik so I think you’re out of luck there

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TheScott2K posted:

Tbh I played a few hours last night, and the new campaign felt pretty good but I came away with, this is in the end still quake 2 and I think the novelty is gonna wear off pretty quick for me

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I never liked the quake/quake 2 shotguns. Always felt like they were shooting beanbags or something. Was missing the big noise and animation of dooms shotgun. More of a thud than a bang.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

not me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Really? Q2's Super Shotgun is nice and loud. Was having a real good time exploding the flyers with it, as well sending enemies flying on death if not gibbing them.

Q1's weaponset always felt a bit underwhelming to me besides the GL and RL. The Lighting gun is strong, but it's no BFG.

Q2 might have my favorite renditions of the BFG on that note.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've been playing through Q2 single player on Nightmare with no quicksaves and it's been pretty fun so far. Definitely more intense than my last playthrough, plus the new dynamic lighting stuff makes it just visually interesting enough to seem fresh. Still not a great game but it gives me something to kill time with. Some of the enemies are goddamn bullet sponges though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Oxyclean posted:

Really? Q2's Super Shotgun is nice and loud. Was having a real good time exploding the flyers with it, as well sending enemies flying on death if not gibbing them.

Q1's weaponset always felt a bit underwhelming to me besides the GL and RL. The Lighting gun is strong, but it's no BFG.

Q2 might have my favorite renditions of the BFG on that note.

I'll agree about that, I like the giant green ball style as opposed to the q3 version, and prefer it shooting tracers out as it flies rather than it shooting out tracers after it impacts, or you shooting out tracers after it impacts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TheScott2K posted:

It's so funny lmao

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Yeah, I'd like a toggle to bring back the recoil. I'm so used to it that I find myself dragging my aim down still.

It doesn't really even make any sense in having it in the first place, because Deathmatch/CTF already disabled the recoil. All we did is make the weapon consistent across everything.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 11, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Berserker slam thing is definitely a bit janky. I've had it affect me even though I was on the floor above, and also I've had it affect me while in the water.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also not a fan of the slam attack, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to keep it from connecting once launched (other than killing it faster, I guess)

What's the official pronunciation of "strogg"? The intro VO says "strohg" while the mission briefing VO says "strahg"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheScott2K posted:

You do know a LOT of goons post itt right, all with different opinions? Some fans of Q2, some not (me), some willing to give the remaster a chance (also me).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

:wtc:

show us some quotes buddy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheScott2K posted:

I never stopped. I'll probably play the new Machine Games episode some time, and I never played/had the expansion packs (are they actually any good?) but I'm in no rush because the game doesn't thrill me the way the first one does.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quake 2 is bad, but the remaster looks like it's good quality. Not sure if I'll buy it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SCheeseman posted:

Quake 2 is bad, but the remaster looks like it's good quality. Not sure if I'll buy it.

Who needs the money more, you or the Quakers?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok, so I'm at work. Just had a informal talk with my junior (24 years old I believe) coworker... we talked of games. I commented they did a remaster of Quake 2, so I played a bit yesterday.

He said "Quake? That game features a duck, right?" Me: "Uhhh... no". And it isn't like he misheard, he googled it up and wrote 'quake'. We ended up seeing the screenshots, and at least he recognized it was a game in the 'style of Doom', which served for me to explain it was from the same company.

So yeah, sober reminder old ips aren't as strong as before with the newer generatios.

I remember when Quake first came out, searching for it would always result in various news stories about earthquakes in Asia. Anything related to Quake, like Planet Quake, was usually 6 items down the list.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Planet Quake is what they call a 10 on the richter scale

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What about Planet Quake 2?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

"planetquake" sounds like a budget 6dof shooter from the early 2000s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Milo and POTUS posted:

Planet Quake is what they call a 10 on the richter scale

i think this was a scifi original movie

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So.... was I the only one who thought for multiple decades that the N64 Quake 2 campaign WAS the PC campaign with a few tweaks?

Whoopsie.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

So.... was I the only one who thought for multiple decades that the N64 Quake 2 campaign WAS the PC campaign with a few tweaks?

Whoopsie.

There are a couple slices or sections of levels reused in the Q2 64 campaign, like that bit with the acid vat, but they are just a couple rooms in a larger level that's totally different. So if you've played PC Q2 you will have a couple "Oh I remember this, that was cool" moments as you play through the 64 campaign.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dramicus posted:

What about Planet Quake 2?

You’re on it right now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Turbo Overkill had like a 7~ gig update and now it's making me download another 6.5 gigs or so despite the fact I was playing it just fine an hour and a half ago. Why would they do it like this? idk poo poo about game development or publishing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Turbo Overkill had like a 7~ gig update and now it's making me download another 6.5 gigs or so despite the fact I was playing it just fine an hour and a half ago. Why would they do it like this? idk poo poo about game development or publishing

They are probably making small bug fixes and release day patch stuff but the way the game is set up they have to send it as part of a 7 Gb monolith

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just saw that not only is it on sale but they'll be raising the price, so picking it up now even if I don't have time to play it right away.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mordja posted:

Just saw that not only is it on sale but they'll be raising the price, so picking it up now even if I don't have time to play it right away.
Looks like Gamebillet is still selling the keys for the old $5 price https://www.gamebillet.com/quake-ii-z

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

They are probably making small bug fixes and release day patch stuff but the way the game is set up they have to send it as part of a 7 Gb monolith

Yeah delta patchers can only do so much with big monolithic compressed game assets. Sometimes you change a few bytes in the editor and that propagates out to causing tiny changes in a whole lot of places and you have to redownload the entire file

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks at sniper elite 5's 70gb patch for a single gun cosmetic skin

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a lot of fun playing through Quake 2 again, but especially since I've recently played through Quake 1 a couple times recently, I have to admit that Quake 2 just isn't as good as Quake 1.

Quake 2 is good, Quake 1 is excellent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Milo and POTUS posted:

I heard that the Switch downloads patches and has them alongside the game, but does Steam at least override data that's the same? So downloading a 6.5gb patch doesn't necessarily make your game install that much larger (once you remove temp files after everything is said and done)?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the rumble on the super shotgun 🥰🥰🥰

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I heard that the Switch downloads patches and has them alongside the game, but does Steam at least override data that's the same? So downloading a 6.5gb patch doesn't necessarily make your game install that much larger (once you remove temp files after everything is said and done)?

On PC my install currently, after all of the patches, is 11.4 GB total. Not sure if that helps answer the question but between the original install (whose size I can’t recall), the 6-7 GB patch this morning and the 5-6 GB patch this afternoon, it doesn’t look like the patches purely add to the overall file size.