Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

A G36 with the rails and collapsable stock the Americans wanted and I guess the screws and bolts were imperial instead of metric or something.

After the American officer freaked out, they hired a famous German industrial designer who had designed some product American love (I think maybe Audi or Apple?), and spent months just working on the shell, which is how you get the XM8 you see now. The internals are all the same as the G36.

top became bottom? early 2000s online shooter gun became mid 90s super soaker in desert grullo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

they're both ugly as poo poo. the perfidious Alemanians did this on purpose

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
you can tell it's a poorly designed gun because it looks ugly. good guns look good it's very simple

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i like the big product name on the americanized version

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Antonymous posted:

i like the big product name on the americanized version

you are grossly underestimating the power of THE BRANDS on the goatherder battlefield

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Antonymous posted:

top became bottom? early 2000s online shooter gun became mid 90s super soaker in desert grullo

reminder that this thing is 10 pounds and uses bespoke ammo, which is expensive and extremely heavy so they use different ammo with a much lower grain count for training, which i'm sure you can immediately see the problems with but were ignored by the pentagon

compare this to Chinas current weaponry (the QBZ fires 5.56 and weighs about 7 pounds) and you can imagine how things would go in a protracted fight

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cuttlefush posted:

i know. i've posted about it plenty. i wasn't sure what this guys claims were but that excerpt answers it. not sure what's surprising about his book then. i thought he was claiming no one died on/around june 4th, which would be a good bit. seems like he's just correct though

it's not surprising (to us) but it's nice to have all this atrocity propaganda discussed with sourced citations in a new book that you can use as a reference

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

crepeface posted:

it's not surprising (to us) but it's nice to have all this atrocity propaganda discussed with sourced citations in a new book that you can use as a reference

I'm buying the book just to make my lib as gently caress hong kong american friend read it to try to get some china love in her brain for once instead of all the hate she consumes. though strangely her dad totally loves xi so not sure where she got the lib poo poo, must be our awful western education system

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im literally there right now

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Maed posted:

I'm buying the book just to make my lib as gently caress hong kong american friend read it to try to get some china love in her brain for once instead of all the hate she consumes. though strangely her dad totally loves xi so not sure where she got the lib poo poo, must be our awful western education system

it's hard not to love xi/CPC if you've seen the progress your country has made over the decades. younger HK people swim in the same propaganda ocean that we all do and don't have the historical context front-of-mind, especially if you've immigrated away from the motherland.

i was probably pretty similar to your lib friend not even that long ago

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

crepeface posted:

it's hard not to love xi/CPC if you've seen the progress your country has made over the decades. younger HK people swim in the same propaganda ocean that we all do and don't have the historical context front-of-mind, especially if you've immigrated away from the motherland.

it's just extra weird cause he got into real estate in the US in the 70s and made millions so I pegged him as a big capitalist but I guess even landlords feel the allure of the immortal science of marxism leninism maoism

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
edit: wrong thread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maed posted:

it's just extra weird cause he got into real estate in the US in the 70s and made millions so I pegged him as a big capitalist but I guess even landlords feel the allure of the immortal science of marxism leninism maoism

understanding communism pretty much means understanding capitalism better than 90% of capitalists

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

Maed posted:

Hong Kongers who immigrated early are much more reasonable people than HKer who live through the 00s and 10s in HK.

It's like going thru a hyper color revolution/historical revision program under the "free" media, free media as in Jimmy Lai's proto-facebook opinion altering media empire.

The Ukrainian media might have gone thru the same thing now that I think about it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hong Kongers who immigrated early are much more reasonable people than HKer who live through the 00s and 10s in HK.

It's like going thru a hyper color revolution/historical revision program under the "free" media, free media as in Jimmy Lai's proto-facebook opinion altering media empire.

The Ukrainian media might have gone thru the same thing now that I think about it.

Which reminds me, didn't they fire the whole staff of the Kyiv Independent and replace the editors with Brits some months before the war?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

genericnick posted:

Which reminds me, didn't they fire the whole staff of the Kyiv Independent and replace the editors with Brits some months before the war?

that was the kyiv post, kyiv independent was formed by the people fired though
i think it had more to do with internal politics though, something like it had been very critical of zelensky but was then bought by one of zelenskys allies? i dont remember exactly

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

A G36 with the rails and collapsable stock the Americans wanted and I guess the screws and bolts were imperial instead of metric or something.

After the American officer freaked out, they hired a famous German industrial designer who had designed some product American love (I think maybe Audi or Apple?), and spent months just working on the shell, which is how you get the XM8 you see now. The internals are all the same as the G36.

according to the forgotten weapons guy they changed the components just enough to make them non-interchangeable

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Frosted Flake posted:

Not that I'm aware of. Like Tiananmen it's become a load bearing part of why we're beacons of democracy that fight against tyranny, at least in English. There's usually euphemism to explain the lynching of Hungarian Jews as like "overenthusiastic expressions of nationalism" , like in the Routledge oral history that came out last year.

The Hungary protests seem to get conflated with the outcome of the Georgia protests which happened months prior, where protesters were killed. Though that one's forgotten because the reasoning behind it doesn't suit western agenda. Citizens wanting to give respect to comrade Stalin on the third anniversary of his death at his statue were prevented from doing so because of Kruschev's de-stalinization policy. This turned into a general protest against Krushchev re-writing history for his own gain. The local government didn't know how to handle it, so they abdicated responsibility to Kruschev who sent in tanks and soldiers to put down the memorial/protest with lethal force.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the US is finished

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WRT XM8, yes, you can see the critical parts are all in the same place, charging handle, ejection port, etc. It was just a new shell.

WRT Tiananmen Square, I suspect that like Maidan, the western media all set up in one place where peaceful protesters used English signs, and the actual violence took place elsewhere. That's no different than the shady poo poo that has come out about Maidan in recent years.

The difference was the US was not bold enough at the time to have State Dept officials hand out cookies and host meetings about who the next leader of the country should be.

To China's credit, they have been the only country smart enough, so far as I know, to keep the American NGOs out.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

crepeface posted:

book seems pretty good at first glance. lots of details and references after every chapter

fake edit

from the intro:

quote:

Providing details on Western intelligence agencies’ sustain-
ment of extensive networks of journalists into the 21st century for
the purpose of propagating favoured narratives, German journal-
ist Udo Ulfkotte reported in 2016 regarding his own role in such
networks
:

Interesting guy, I wonder what happened to him after exposing how the CIA uses journalists like him to disseminate propaganda.
Oh, Ulfkotte died from a heart attack on 13 January 2017 at the age of 56. Surely that's just a coincidence.

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Chinese Security Agency Arrested CIA Spy, After America Claimed to Rebuild its Intelligence Networks in China

quote:

On August 11th, China's security agency announced that it had unmasked a CIA spy ring stealing China's military intelligence. According to the report, the suspect was an employee of a Chinese state-owned defense corporation who had gained access to classified information. During the period the suspect was studying abroad in Italy, a CIA agent in its Rome Station approached and recruited him. Upon returning to China, the suspect provided critical intelligence to the CIA multiple times for monetary reward. The suspect has now been held in custody.

The news article was published by the social media account of China's Ministry of State Security (MSS). The account was created only two weeks before, marking the first public appearance of the MSS on China's internet. Its first post on social media was titled "Mobilizing the Whole Society for Counterintelligence Efforts", echoing China's recently revised Counter-Espionage Law.

Additionally, Chinese netizens find more implicit undertones within this announcement. First, it's exceptionally rare for Chinese news media to explicitly name a specific foreign agency, such as the CIA. This explicit mention has evoked a sense of urgency among many, suggesting that China is facing a direct threat of infiltration by the United States, rather than a more generalized "West" or "foreign power". Also, many people connect the news to the prior statement made by CIA Director William J. Burns, who said in public that the CIA has "made progress" in rebuilding its spy networks in China. Online discussions have now depicted the bust of this spy ring as not only a retaliation against the US's aggressive move, but also a slap in the face to the Americans.
get they rear end

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/RushanAbbas/status/1689736780457664513?s=20

lol

PoliceOfficer.JPG

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

famously typical for Chinese law enforcement to address Chinese citizens in English

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Even if the messages were authentic, as in they were actually received by uighars. There's nothing to say it's not pro-uigjar groups pretending to be officers to create the impression that's it's authoritarian China.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

I don't know how WhatsApp works but the police officer avatar next to "Unknown" is very funny to me

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
how dare you ignore evidence like this real note someone totally found in their shoe written in English

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

sounds like SOMEONE doesn’t respect their elders

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

mark immune posted:

sounds like SOMEONE doesn’t respect their elders
they're negging dissidents

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this is a Nick Mullen bit

whycome... i 'posed to go to drat college

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Marenghi posted:

Interesting guy, I wonder what happened to him after exposing how the CIA uses journalists like him to disseminate propaganda.
Oh, Ulfkotte died from a heart attack on 13 January 2017 at the age of 56. Surely that's just a coincidence.

lol I did a quick search for him when I posted that and there were two mentions of him (about his death) in the German D&D thread. considered posting in there but didn't get around to it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Marenghi posted:

vaxxed?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
CIA injected him with their real FoxDie.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Mr President, are you OK
Remarks by President Biden at a Campaign Reception | Salt Lake City, UT | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov posted:

And we have China to deal with.  And China is a ticking time-bomb in many cases.  But it is — I’m the only one — now people are beginning to agree: China is in trouble.  China was growing at 8 percent a year to maintain growth — and now closer to 2 percent a year. 

China finds itself in a position where it’s — it’s — it has the highest unemployment rate going.  It’s in a position where it’s — the number of — the number of people who are of retirement age is larger than the number of people of working age.  So, they got some problems.  That’s not good because when bad folks have problems, they do bad things. 

So — but my point is: managing China and managing that relationship.  And I’ve spent more time with Xi Jinping than any world leader has.  They’ve kept every — they keep tabs of all of it — 68 hours of personally — just he and I with an interpreter each — and another 15 hours on Zoom. 

And this is a guy who is a — who I think I understand.  And this is a guy who — we’re not looking for a fight with China.  But we’re looking for a rationale relat- — a rational relationship to have with China. 

I don’t want to hurt China.  But in the meantime, I watched what China was doing.  So I put together a thing called the Quad.  We brought together as an alliance India, Japan, Australia, and the United States.  We put ourselves in a position where now we have the Philippines and, soon, Vietnam and Cambodia wanting to be part of a relationship with us because they’re — they don’t want to — they don’t want to have a defense alliance, but they want relationships because they want China to know that they’re not alone. 

So, a lot of things are changing, but nothing is done yet.  We have to figure out how to deal with Africa.  There is going to be a billion people on that continent very shortly.  And there are — have some real problems. 

But we have enormous opportunities to deal there too, as well.  For example, we put together — or it became known as the Build Back Better initiative.  We — we got together literally billions of dollars in the G7 nations to provide for alternatives to China’s — what they call Belt and Road Initiative, which is basically a debt and noose agreement that they have.  There is not much going on.  They’re — they’re — they’re in real debt.  They’re going in trouble. 

So, I guess what I’m saying is we have an enormous opportunity to bring the world together in different configurations than was before in a way that isn’t threatening to others and provides a generic stability.  And so, we’re spending a lot of time there.  It’s not done yet.  We got a lot more to do. 

But my generic point is: I — if you read most of the foreign policy experts, you don’t see a whole lot of criticism about the approach we’ve taken to try to deal with this — these changing pieces in — around the world.  It’s like, you know, when the North Pole, it doesn’t melt — like it melts for real now.  But, you know, like icebergs break up and they — and when it gets cold, they reconfigure in a different way.  That’s what’s happening around the world. 

And so, I guess what I’m trying to say to you is that I am optimistic we have an opportunity to leave our kids a world that is more secure, less — less contentious, and economically more sound than we found it.  And I think that’s the whole purpose of what I’m trying to do. 

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1689355091902377986

shockingly the us had a hand in imran khan's overthrow

the oligarch behind the pti got arrested so i imagine it made this a lot easier lol

https://www.reuters.com/legal/abraaj-founder-loses-challenge-us-extradition-fraud-charges-2023-03-08/

kind of interesting is that he was responsible for privatizing and selling an electric company to the chinese instead of the us

https://archive.is/yFA1l

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

It owns that the election is [again] going to be between two senile ancient rapists dealing with court charges & who cant deliver a coherent speech

Its the leadership we deserve

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't want to hurt China. But

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If China is in a lot of trouble why keep adding sanctions? Just leave China alone so China can implode?

Edit, WTF Biden is still selling Build Back Better? There is literally zero infrastructure project greenlit during his entire term.

Compared to 500 million every other week the Pentagon discovers from accounting errors.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Aug 11, 2023

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol that these transcripts include all his mumbling gently caress ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol that these transcripts include all his mumbling gently caress ups

it must not be all of them cause it's still more coherent than the press secretary's word salad