Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Pete loving sucked too

Edit: Excellent snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’m just borrowing the dvds from my library (we’ll i’m going to watch through tng first, but I’m gonna mix in stargate too).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Pete loving sucked too

Edit: Excellent snipe

He calls up his cop contacts to stalk her; he physically follows her to stalk her.

That stalky ancient was less stalky than Pete.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

redshirt posted:

That episode where Carter offers up her Dad to the "good" Go'uld.

if i was terminally ill and was offered several lives worth of adventures around the galaxy i'd be up for it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

crispix posted:

if i was terminally ill and was offered several lives worth of adventures around the galaxy i'd be up for it

I would have loved a storyline where in the Stargate world the hospice program had a Tok'ra end option.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
selmak didn't take any crap

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Just watched Holiday and got super pissed that they didn't just come out and say that guy on his death bed was Santa Claus. Turned it off 10 minutes early like poo poo or get off the pot.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

Name a less creep alternative to Tolan guy.

lol fuckin Pete??

You may not like him (for Sam), but O'Neill isn't creepy at least.

Eeyo posted:

I’m just borrowing the dvds from my library (we’ll i’m going to watch through tng first, but I’m gonna mix in stargate too).

:hfive:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

:hfive:

Yeah but the whole chain of command thing is problematic IMO. I do ship them though, for sure.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

itry posted:

It's my side-arm, I swear!

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Loved how the show built solutions to current problems from previous accidents. In a one off episode O'neill puts his head into an ancient knowledge transfer device that nearly kills him. Latter the team needs some Ancient knowledge, they go back to that planet, and when the team comes back O'neill says something like "we couldn't figure it out so I just did it again".

What was once an entire episode spanning crisis is now just another device in their repertoire to get out of the current bigger emergency.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

E. Revenant posted:

Loved how the show built solutions to current problems from previous accidents. In a one off episode O'neill puts his head into an ancient knowledge transfer device that nearly kills him. Latter the team needs some Ancient knowledge, they go back to that planet, and when the team comes back O'neill says something like "we couldn't figure it out so I just did it again".

What was once an entire episode spanning crisis is now just another device in their repertoire to get out of the current bigger emergency.

He took one for the team the second time, I assume ready to die.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

He calls up his cop contacts to stalk her; he physically follows her to stalk her.

That stalky ancient was less stalky than Pete.

Stalky ancient came back as a child to "cure" Earth from the Ori plague but probably mostly to hit on Sam

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love when the other SG teams get some action. Or deployed in groups.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm on SG-69 and we only get called to work when there are star trek-like sex planets

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GolfHole posted:

I'm on SG-69 and we only get called to work when there are star trek-like sex planets

lol good work if you can get it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's pretty funny how Rodeny incel McKay got turned into a main character. Perhaps the worst introduction to a main character in the entire franchise?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

They did tend to end up dead a lot. I always just assumed the Airforce just put who ever they didn't like a lot and couldn't fire into the other SG teams to get rid of them.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

It's pretty funny how Rodeny incel McKay got turned into a main character. Perhaps the worst introduction to a main character in the entire franchise?

I've just started watching Atlantis and I'm having a hard time with him. He's a liability on away missions both strategically and diplomatically. He's an rear end in a top hat to his colleagues. Sure he's wicked smart and does save the day, but.....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

They did tend to end up dead a lot. I always just assumed the Airforce just put who ever they didn't like a lot and couldn't fire into the other SG teams to get rid of them.

Indeed. And that serves a good narrative purpose since you can't (usually) kill your main characters, so having SG-5 eat it put some realistic consequences on what they were doing. Which was war.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

I've just started watching Atlantis and I'm having a hard time with him. He's a liability on away missions both strategically and diplomatically. He's an rear end in a top hat to his colleagues. Sure he's wicked smart and does save the day, but.....

Perhaps he develops into something more. I wouldn't know, because I never finished SGA.

redshirt posted:

Indeed. And that serves a good narrative purpose since you can't (usually) kill your main characters, so having SG-5 eat it put some realistic consequences on what they were doing. Which was war.

Everyone in SG-1 died multiple times though. They got better, but they did die.

Edit: Even if you don't include alternate timelines/dimensions, there's still Daniel that died like 5 times throughout the show.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 15, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

He has a turning point I haven't watched Atlantis seriously since it aired, it was on while I was drinking and poo poo posting for a bit but not enough to catch the episode order or really try and nail down when it happened.

I think it's the episode where he becomes really really stupid due to the parasite.

Rodney is completely terrible in SG-1

But Weir isn't even played by the same actor in Atlantis as she was in SG-1

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

itry posted:

The funniest thing about Stargate Atlantis to me was the fact that my sister had a crush on Rodney... And Ronon.

Also everyone in this thread should probably watch A Dog's Breakfast, starring David Hewlett and his sister (who played Jeannie Miller an a few episodes of Atlantis), Paul McGillion, Christopher Judge, and Rachel Luttrell.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

Perhaps he develops into something more. I wouldn't know, because I never finished SGA.

Everyone in SG-1 died multiple times though. They got better, but they did die.

Edit: Even if you don't include alternate timelines/dimensions, there's still Daniel that died like 5 times throughout the show.

I meant it more as if they were killed in the story and leaving the show. It rarely happens in any show unless the actor wants out/forced out in real life.

In regards the other SG teams, there are a couple of characters who get multiple episodes. A bad rear end Colonel Makepeace in earlier seasons. And there was a Colonel in later seasons who functioned more as a diplomat.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

E. Revenant posted:

I did appreciate SG-1's villain power curve over the course of the series and how the solutions built on top of each other, though by the end they were running out of power levels and it was getting kind of ludicrous.

Speaking of ludicrous, Earth by the end of the series was an intergalactic power with a fleet of FTL warships, went from zero to major player in the Milky Way while crushing the previous major player, in the span of a decade. All of this without the larger population even knowing what was going on even though Earth had been attacked multiple times.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

They all get to guard the gate, which you think would be safe-ish but no

pixaal posted:

In the Season 8 premiere of SG-1 she was played by the same actress.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 15, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

They all get to guard the gate and stay safe-ish too

Nah, I don't think the gate guards are SG teams. SG teams go through the gate, and there's at least a dozen of them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

pixaal posted:

I liked the first weir better. Never watched atlantis though so maybe the second actor gets good too, I only saw her on the handful of SG1 appearances.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Torri Higgenson is the GOAT

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eeyo posted:

I liked the first weir better. Never watched atlantis though so maybe the second actor gets good too, I only saw her on the handful of SG1 appearances.

She eventually fucks off and turns into a replicator ambassador or something and Woolsey takes over

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
And they know that replicator humans can stay alive in space, but do they go back and get Weir?
gently caress no.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I liked Atlantis a lot

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Biplane posted:

I liked Atlantis a lot

So many war crimes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pixaal posted:

So many war crimes

The episode where the scottish guy dies was really sad

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Biplane posted:

The episode where the scottish guy dies was really sad

which time?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pixaal posted:

which time?

The last time I presume. Didn't the show itself get cancelled shortly after? It's been a while

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Scottish dude doctor pissed me off in the S1 two parter "The Storm/The Eye". They make it back to Atlantis and he won't shut up, even though they are in a life/death situation, complaining about the military giving orders.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cthulu Carl posted:

The funniest thing about Stargate Atlantis to me was the fact that my sister had a crush on Rodney... And Ronon.

I wonder what the venn diagram looks like :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of ludicrous, Earth by the end of the series was an intergalactic power with a fleet of FTL warships, went from zero to major player in the Milky Way while crushing the previous major player, in the span of a decade. All of this without the larger population even knowing what was going on even though Earth had been attacked multiple times.

They were going to have the program become public during the events of "The Lost City" but Scifi SyFy™ axed that plan at the last second, big mistake IMO.