Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Fellow UK people. If you like rummaging in hell piles of music and you're near Liverpool, take some time to go visit Legacy Vinyl in Southport. Get stuck the gently caress in

You WILL find gold, the guy who runs it took it over from his dad, both live for music, and even he doesn't know everything that's in there. He's been slowly cataloguing it for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not albums but I bought some vintage record store flats to put together this ode to my favorite Bowie era

That's damned cool.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not albums but I bought some vintage record store flats to put together this ode to my favorite Bowie era

Also my favorite Bowie era, especially Outside. So underrated.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I think Outside is … rated. It was a hugely hyped album when it came out. The interludes don’t do it a lot of favors as far as staying power goes but the songs are great.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Well, there's a flashback to my elementary school days.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1688781778687770624

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pwn posted:

That's damned cool.

Thank you so much! I highly recommend it as some wall art for folks, it's an easy project. Just have to buy a frame in multiples of 12" on both sides and you can hang'em any way you like.
I was thinking of doing a 12x24 in two vertical strips at first.

CornHolio posted:

Outside is definitely my favorite as well. It ticks a lot of boxes being a super weird, bloated concept album with a lot of meta narrative and Mike Garson playing over distorted guitars. It seems very much like a product that could only have come into existence in that relatively cyberpunky over-edgy period of the 90s like eXistenZ or System Shock 1/2

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Anyone trying to score a Rodriguez original lol

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Got my Tatsuro Yamashita records in from HMV Japan, also with small stickers (?) of the album covers.

P A C Y

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Arcella posted:

Got my Tatsuro Yamashita records in from HMV Japan, also with small stickers (?) of the album covers.

P A C Y

Got mine in a few weeks ago (Moonlight, For You, Ride on Time) and they sound great. Would love the other 3 albums that got re-released but I dunno if I want to pay shipping from Japan again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

Four days. It took me a minute to have the spare time to do some photos and send the email.

There's no copies of the NA smoke pressing + 7" on discogs, the EU smoke pressing + 7" is going for $50+...which I think is actually less than I paid for it, because I am a fool.

so i asked for a full replacement, feeling that was fair.

they asked for evidence of damage to the LP itself, which I neglected to show in my initial photos. I sent a minute-long video of it on my turntable, with the stylus going up and down as it went around.

today, they essentially implicitly agreed, but the LP was out of stock, so they just gave me a full refund without asking for me to ship it back

i guess that's okay.

pwn
May 27, 2004

hexwren posted:

so i asked for a full replacement, feeling that was fair.

they asked for evidence of damage to the LP itself, which I neglected to show in my initial photos. I sent a minute-long video of it on my turntable, with the stylus going up and down as it went around.

today, they essentially implicitly agreed, but the LP was out of stock, so they just gave me a full refund without asking for me to ship it back

i guess that's okay.

gently caress yea. Now go buy a good'un!

I'm really invested in your journey

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I just learned one of my favorite soul/funk bands (L.T.D.) had one of their songs on the Boss Baby soundtrack, and I don't know how to feel about this. I guess mostly hoping they got cut a fat check or renewed attention. :colbert:

Arcella posted:

P A C Y

Hell yeah! Can't wait for mine!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/EmmaVomit/status/1688929662251253762?s=20

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.discogs.com/release/26222669-Various-Tiktok-Classics-Memes-Viral-Hits

i dunno wtf any of this is, but whatever, I'd spin it once

it's probably super-insufferable

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm old, give me Hockey Scores on a 12" club single

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don’t have the first ten seconds of a Ghost song, pass.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Enos Cabell posted:

I dig that Kyuss album a lot more than it gets credit for.

Catmaran is so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkeorF6Fiw

Catamaran is such a killer song.

I saw that NPR did a tiny desk vinyl dump, I wanted to pick up the Mac MIller record as a gift for my brother but completely spaced on the sale. Time to start stalking discogs...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Free code for the new Jessy Lanza record

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

joylessdivision posted:

Holy poo poo! A Shoji record :allears:

Aw gently caress :(

https://www.ky3.com/2023/08/12/branson-mo-music-community-mourns-loss-legendary-performer-shoji-tabuchi/

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Booooo :(

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
went to the Excellency Music Fest in Bay City, MI yesterday and got to see a bunch of cool emo/punk bands, but mostly went to see Rare Candy, a folky-pop artist from Chicago who makes really catchy songs. I got to talk to him a bunch, bought a shirt and a hat, as well as a vinyl of his that's 2 of his EPs combined. And he signed it for me. Pretty good day.

Also bought Have Mercy's first album The Earth Pushed Back. They were one of the top billed bands.

It was a cool event but the Masonic Temple it took place in had poor ventilation so it was way hotter inside than outside, especially with all the people and equipment.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
good mail day for me

bought used so the code might not work

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Another free code for those that want some post-punk.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

New pick up this past week.

Loving this Sound Burger too, it's got me listening to records much more often.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I’m seeing that thing get posted more and more. I feel like it would invite so much destruction to the record. What’s the sound quality like, and why would you use it rather than an mp3 player? Where are you finding it the most useful? Are there places you have used it that surprised you with its utility?

Almost every record I own is either a repurchase of something I already own just to support the artist and my own collection or something that isn’t available elsewhere and ripped to mp3. Maybe I’m not the target for that particular device, but you never know. A few years ago I would not have thought I would be spending money on records again but here we are…

pwn
May 27, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

good mail day for me

bought used so the code might not work

dorium posted:

Another free code for those that want some post-punk.

Greedily sucked both of these down. Thank you both!

Also, as promised a week ago, I finally grabbed the rest of what was left on page 959. And, so that I would actually listen to them, I fixed the tags, added proper art, and transferred the albums to VLC on my iPhone last night

(The Jason Isbell and friends live at Shoals still needs to be transcoded; the download was HD audio files :pwn: )

A few had been used anonymously of course but the oddest duck was Elizabeth Cook. No trace of the album or her on the Hand Drawn Records site, obviously no way to download. They must have parted ways in a most acrimonious manner.

To give something back, here's two from God Help the Girl. The first is the original 2009 LP.

I'll save you some time. Go to https://codes.beggars.com and enter the unique code at the bottom. You no longer need the UPC. I bought this used about 5 years ago, and the code may or may not be used. Please, if you do use it, let us know so that I know to retire it.

And the eventual film's OST, five years later, from 2014. New recordings of nearly all tracks, a few new tunes, and a brief-but-beautiful instrumental from the vaults by Stuart and Isobel. Also obligatory snippets of dialogue.

I need not the codes since I obviously own both of these on CD as well and have ripped them. Hell, I even "bought" the 2014 OST from Amazon the day my friend and I took a trip to the neighbouring state to see a screening of the film, so we could listen in the car via Amazon's Music app. Apparently you can't listen to your purchases in the app anymore, without being subscribed to their streaming service. Stay classy, Bezos. And that is why I never have relied on streaming. You don't "own" jack poo poo, you haven't bought anything except a temporary license. Physical media forever, downloads as long as you can keep the files backed up.

Anyway I rewatched the film a couple times last week and have been on a kick and discovered that I still had these codes. I hope someone enjoys them!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the files for Double Rainbow were a mess. "1" appended to each file (one also had "(album version)" too), no year or even track number in the tags, only two tracks had the artist tag. Thank goodness for Mp3tag

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 15, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

bagina posted:

I’m seeing that thing get posted more and more. I feel like it would invite so much destruction to the record. What’s the sound quality like, and why would you use it rather than an mp3 player? Where are you finding it the most useful? Are there places you have used it that surprised you with its utility?

Almost every record I own is either a repurchase of something I already own just to support the artist and my own collection or something that isn’t available elsewhere and ripped to mp3. Maybe I’m not the target for that particular device, but you never know. A few years ago I would not have thought I would be spending money on records again but here we are…

Techmoan has done a few vids on the matter, he seems pleased iirc. Keep in mind he's older and doesn't care if the tracking force is a bit on the heavy side because it's later than you think and eternity draws ever nearer. I don't recall what the tracking force is for these.

First video on original models c. 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7onLOkSpLc

On modern copycats, from two years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZF9TdLsjt8

And on the new Sound Burger from last November

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b48XD9P8klM

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bagina posted:

Why do you think it's destroying records? You don't move around with the record spinning, you put it down on a steady surface to actually play. They're made by Audio Technica who resurrected their own 1983 design, and it uses a quality cartridge and needle. It plays over BT or line out, so sound quality is as good as your speakers are. Here is a pretty good review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b48XD9P8klM

I mostly love it for being able to play records in any room of the house, not just the living room where I have the "main" record player set up. It's great being able to take it downstairs, or to my office so I can listen to stuff without kicking my wife off of the tv.

e: and it's just flat out more fun listening to music on this than on my phone

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I’m going to be in San Diego next month. Any record store recs?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

My “destroying the record” comment is just from me imagining that wherever it is, something falls on it instead of being protected in my a/v setup. Keep in mind I have a 5 year old, so I’m used to improbable poo poo happening. I have trust issues.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ballz posted:

I’m going to be in San Diego next month. Any record store recs?

Do you like 31G and GSL?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

bagina posted:

My “destroying the record” comment is just from me imagining that wherever it is, something falls on it instead of being protected in my a/v setup. Keep in mind I have a 5 year old, so I’m used to improbable poo poo happening. I have trust issues.

Yeah it would get frisbee’d by my child. Otherwise I’d get one.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Speaking of vinyl and children, anyone have a good solution for childproofing Kallax shelves? Our little idiot is almost walking and loves picking up stuff badly

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Toe Rag posted:

Do you like 31G and GSL?

I am not familiar with either.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hum reissues hell yes finally

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/hum

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the heads up! I've been playing You'd Prefer An Astronaut a ton recently for some reason, so well timed!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

My copy of the Splatterhouse soundtrack finally shipped and should arrive next week :moonrio:

My Silent Hill soundtracks from Mondo however, still haven't shipped and I ordered them on the 4th of this month. :argh: git yer poo poo together Mondo!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

New Osees and the Infinity Pool soundtrack just arrived today

Code for the new Osees album:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

joylessdivision posted:

My copy of the Splatterhouse soundtrack finally shipped and should arrive next week :moonrio:

My Silent Hill soundtracks from Mondo however, still haven't shipped and I ordered them on the 4th of this month. :argh: git yer poo poo together Mondo!

That's weird. My Mondo Silent Hill soundtracks shipped yesterday. They should be emailing you tracking soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

That's weird. My Mondo Silent Hill soundtracks shipped yesterday. They should be emailing you tracking soon.

Fingers crossed I hear something soon. I'm kinda used to Mondo orders sitting in "Order Placed" for a couple of weeks, getting the tracking and then like...4 days later the order arrives. Can't really complain because their stuff is great but I want them now.

E: it is now 5:20 pst and lol I just got the notification of shipment with tracking. :getin:

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 18, 2023