Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i say swears online posted:

the standard deduction is going to go down in two years?

to 6000 dollars for individuals

salt cap gets removed

inheritance tax gets lifted

basically a pure gift to rich people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

the standard deduction is going to go down in two years?

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/what-to-do-before-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-tcja-provisions-sunset

quote:

TCJA brought sweeping changes to the tax code for both businesses and individuals. Along with large, permanent tax cuts to corporate profits, the TCJA lowered individual tax rates by restructuring the tax brackets, almost doubled the standard deduction from $13,000 to $24,000, decoupled the income threshold for capital gains taxes from ordinary income tax brackets to benefit higher-income taxpayers and effectively doubled the lifetime gift and estate tax exemption (from $5.5 million to $11.2 million). All these “non-permanent” changes, however, are set to expire on Dec. 31, 2025 — at which point they will revert to pre-TCJA levels.

Apr 7, 2003

The TCJA was basically a massive giveaway to the rich with a few years of modest cuts for the plebes to buy their assent

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nah, it was p. generous to parents, too--especially heads of households.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

There was only a narrow band of demographics that were worse off with the tax cuts, like 2-earner households making ~$250k with one kid or something, maybe salt poo poo too.

Apr 7, 2003

I'll yield to your expertise.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

dems tried to make it seem as if the middle-class & poor people made out worse by saying their refunds were lower but that was bc trump's treasury changed the withholding levels to give back more during the year, similar to what biden did with frontloading the expanded child tax credit for the minute it was law.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I don’t remember what caused it - probably the balanced budget act or whatever bullshit - but the American government is designed such that on the off chance someone in power really improved people’s lives, it will sunset within 5 years lol

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

There was only a narrow band of demographics that were worse off with the tax cuts, like 2-earner households making ~$250k with one kid or something, maybe salt poo poo too.

drat, yup guess that’s our household

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There is a limit to how much you can cut and be able to use reconciliation. Essentially, anything passed with reconciliation has to be deficit neutral after 10 years.
The way that republicans were able to do this was to give a bunch of temporary tax cuts to individuals and permanent tax cuts for corporations. Because the law eliminates a lot of deductions, most people will have higher taxes in 2027 when the temporary tax cuts fully disappear (and that forecast of higher taxes for the plebes is what allowed it to be deficit neutral after 10 years and get through reconciliation).

So while most people did indeed see a tax cut in the short term, if the lower income tax cuts are allowed to sunset it will indeed have been a temporary cut for the plebes and a permanent one for the rich.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

There's no way either party lets the people tax cuts go away, I guarantee.

Remember Obama restoring the Clinton-era tax rates after the Bush tax cuts? Yeah, me neither.

(He raised the tax rates a teensy bit for top earners but not to what they were before Bush cut them. In exchange he promised the GOP a grand bargain cutting ss/medicare that the dems fully supported but that the tea party 86'd in the end.)

Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

There's no way either party lets the people tax cuts go away, I guarantee.

The Dems let free lunches for all children go away even though it was the one unequivocally good thing the Trump admin did, and letting it lapse was a huge political loser.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

anime was right posted:

to 6000 dollars for individuals

salt cap gets removed

inheritance tax gets lifted

basically a pure gift to rich people

dems are such pain pigs lol

Aug 10, 2023
selling shrunken houses to non-existent customers at ever decreasing prices

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Nothing wrong with laminate. The Titanic had linoleum. Cleans easy. Doesn't warp.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

81023 posted:

selling shrunken houses to non-existent customers at ever decreasing prices

Pstpst, snapsnap THAT'S ME! THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT ME.

Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Nothing wrong with laminate. The Titanic had linoleum. Cleans easy. Doesn't warp.

Love me some good wall-to-wall linoleum.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

what do you do for a living

I was a nurse, now I touch computers. I recommend the career change, I make more with a better work-life balance. Also the poo poo I have to clean up now is only metaphorical.

euphronius posted:

Im guessing 3/2 1900 sq ft

Somewhat close, 4/2 and 2000 sqft. My brother already lives with us and my MIL is going to move in, so we upsized for the multigenerational thing because that is the only way any of this is going to work out for anybody. There's room in the yard for an ADU for my parents if need be, when their house in the foothills inevitably burns down in a wildfire.

I wouldn't be able to do it, except we bought for 265k in 2008 and we're going to be able to sell that for around 500k now. What a loving world lol.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lmao just looked at what a mortgage on our place would be like if we bought at current interest rates and a 20% deposit, weekly repayments would be ~$1800 USD. Nobody is buying poo poo in this city right now unless they have a shitload of cash or are selling an existing house of similar price.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm the vent hood pointing that wrong way that isn't connected to anything

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1689737691191992320?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a taxidermist built his dream house and then died

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/27614-Dutch-Creek-Rd-Rockport-IL-62370/127133822_zpid/

this one's full of surprises

Apr 7, 2003

looks good OP

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

angled cabinet doors is a great vibe lol. like having a tiny storm cellar in your kitchen!!

Apr 7, 2003

The Franklin Mint made some fuckin bank off the owners of that house

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Same vibe as my viking house in Valheim, wooden supports everywhere to keep the roof from falling in

Apr 7, 2003

is that an early 1980s window air conditioner with the fake wood trim stuck through the wall above the sink?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there are cabinets … in the range hood ??

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nikosoft posted:

Same vibe as my viking house in Valheim, wooden supports everywhere to keep the roof from falling in

oh hell yeah this is what it was reminding me of, lol

euphronius posted:

there are cabinets … in the range hood ??

convenient storage for all the things you need to gradually get spattered with cooking oil!

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Willa Rogers posted:

window units ftw, and for $500 total for the important rooms (bedroom & tv room & maybe a couple others).

I've been an HVAC tech for a couple years now and it's outrageous how much my company charges for service. You can buy a new window unit for less than what an hour of my time costs. New central air systems are $12-20k as others have said (unless you're doing a simple coil/furnace swap without any ductwork or new pipes), and with window units you don't have to worry about someone loving up the installation which happens pretty regularly.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

nikosoft posted:

I wouldn't be able to do it, except we bought for 265k in 2008 and we're going to be able to sell that for around 500k now. What a loving world lol.

yep this is the only way to buy in CA, if you dont have a house or parents giving you 80k you arent in the market.

good for you to consolidate the household, what general norcal area are you in? if Sac you just got a really nice house or a really huge plot of land. The new homes across from me are moderate to huge boxes with little yards and are arouns 750k all told.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Someone read too many Dirk Pitt novels.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there are entire airport communities. runway in the center surrounded by houses with hangers like that.

Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there are entire airport communities. runway in the center surrounded by houses with hangers like that.

America must be destroyed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

America must be destroyed.

powerfully cursed link

https://www.floridaforboomers.com/florida-fly-communities/

I’m aware of a couple of other states having similar communities too.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the wallpaper and the decorative plates have me feeling really nostalgic. I can smell the cigarette smoke and hear the 90s bulls game on in the background

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

powerfully cursed link

https://www.floridaforboomers.com/florida-fly-communities/

I’m aware of a couple of other states having similar communities too.

one comment at the bottom:

okay great thanks Ruth

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

its in florida

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:08 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider