Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

nudgenudgetilt posted:

devops is the art of transforming yaml into paychecks

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

paycheque so big it had me YAML’in

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

devops is the art of transforming yaml into paychecks

if only this transformation discarded its input

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I read the other day that they just added loops to cloud formation, so now you can write conditionals and loops in your yaml

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
someone’s been huffing yaml nitrites again

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ADINSX posted:

I read the other day that they just added loops to cloud formation, so now you can write conditionals and loops in your yaml

cloud formation is for masochists anyway, they'll love that poo poo

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
no one likes cloudformation

deeply deranged people who come in contact with intrinsic functions are suddenly scared straight

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ADINSX posted:

what the gently caress why

logic should be nowhere near your configuration. what problem does this solve

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the only usecase I can think of would be environment dependent values

if uat x else if beta y else if prod z

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
idk about cloudformation but in terraform conditional logic is really useful if you want to make a module that can be used for multiple nearly-but-not-quite-identical scenarios. like: i have a custom aws lambda module that does all of my organization's lambda things for me. sometimes lambdas need to be inside a vpc and sometimes not, so i just expose a configuration option on the module that conditionally does the vpc things.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

raminasi posted:

idk about cloudformation but in terraform conditional logic is really useful if you want to make a module that can be used for multiple nearly-but-not-quite-identical scenarios. like: i have a custom aws lambda module that does all of my organization's lambda things for me. sometimes lambdas need to be inside a vpc and sometimes not, so i just expose a configuration option on the module that conditionally does the vpc things.

isn't that just utils.c

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

no, it is not.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
utils.js

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i only have utils.pl

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

raminasi posted:

yes, but terraform is for people who want to do work, not people who want to feel pain, any pain, just as long it distracts them from the void within their soul. that's what cloud formation is for

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i just interviewed chatgpt for the first time

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i just interviewed chatgpt for the first time

How did it go?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

someone’s been huffing yaml nitrites again

lol

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

i got sent a hackerrank for an fpga engineering internship. very curious what thats going to look like; i thought these positions would be less competitive than software positions. and it's definitely way harder to practice "problem solving" with an hdl since to my knowledge there's no leetcode equivalent

so this was a series of 20ish multiple choice or fill-in-the-blank questions that were loosely related to digital logic design and hdl. everything from "which boolean expressions are equivalent" to "what is the most efficient ways to use these machines in a business process" to "which of these multiclock schemes kinda looks like it would work." im a ta for a digital logic design course so i did alright

they sent me a take home verilog test to do. before i get any further into this process, i want to make sure im not wasting my time. this internship is an fpga position at a prop trading firm (not necessarily a good one) and although the salary would be higher than i could get at a tech internship, im worried about setting myself up for a solid career after graduation. does anybody know what the career verticals and progression for this sort of job are as compared to a big tech software job? it's hard to find info on the internet since there are so few people actually doing this work

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

are you intentionally trying to work for the most morally questionable companies?

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

nudgenudgetilt posted:

are you intentionally trying to work for the most morally questionable companies?

keep talking like that and i'll take facebook and palantir off my blacklist just to piss you off

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a bad prop trading firm is indeed often the same kind of magical thinking stuff as crypto. but tbh i don't think it'll look bad at a cv anyway. possibly, in fact, for some jobs they may wrinkle their noses at the vhdl stuff, as not really demonstrating the careless throw-javascript-and-some-yaml-at-the-wall of a lot of the tech industry.

i think that's overthinking it though, if the bottom line is better and you think it'd be interesting then i don't think overthinking the cv can really make up for it.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
im mainly interested in trying out hardware work and getting paid my worth for it, it's just that the specifics of making that happen in this country are unfortunate. good point though that it would probably only disqualify me from positions that i dont want anyway

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

internships don’t matter that much in the way of hurting career prospects but they can definitely help you. your first job out of school will have a much larger impact

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ya working a Job is way better experience than the smattering of esoterica that is an education

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Having fun learning about mips and spim. Never taught about object oriented programming

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

PIZZA.BAT posted:

internships don’t matter that much in the way of hurting career prospects but they can definitely help you. your first job out of school will have a much larger impact

this will be my last internship, so ideally id be able to turn it into an intern conversion offer (usually better terms and less stressful). i can interview for new grad roles separately but i'd prefer to knock it out of the park now and just coast for my senior year. but it also just doesnt matter too much as you point out

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

just be born rich and not care about being employed or not, bing bong simple folks

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

lord fifth posted:

this will be my last internship, so ideally id be able to turn it into an intern conversion offer (usually better terms and less stressful). i can interview for new grad roles separately but i'd prefer to knock it out of the park now and just coast for my senior year. but it also just doesnt matter too much as you point out

I coasted through senior year with a job offer in hand and regret it big time. keep interviewing the whole year no matter what imo. on the flip side it was very low stress, that part kicked rear end

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
so, almost a decade into my career I've realized something: I have no idea how to write a cover letter

there's a couple positions I'm looking at applying for just to see what happens (they'd both be massive salary bumps, though one would involve moving to europe and doing esports backend poo poo) but they both want cover letters. I don't even know what you put on one, I've never needed to. wtf does a cover letter for a tech job (network engineering) even look like?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kazinsal posted:

so, almost a decade into my career I've realized something: I have no idea how to write a cover letter

there's a couple positions I'm looking at applying for just to see what happens (they'd both be massive salary bumps, though one would involve moving to europe and doing esports backend poo poo) but they both want cover letters. I don't even know what you put on one, I've never needed to. wtf does a cover letter for a tech job (network engineering) even look like?

Dear Crooter,

1. Thank you for your time, considering me, etc.
2. Short section about you, your skills and relevant experience.
3. More in depth section about what you bring to the table. Specific project experience, responsibilities, and impacts. Tailor this to the job.
4. Small waffle section about how excited you are about company/industry and how great this new challenge is going to be.
5. Looking forwards to hear from you, kind regards, au revoir.

Best wishes,
Kazinsal

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

comedy option is:

As a large language model, thank you for taking interest in me for the role of etc

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ya at this point you never have to learn. Simply ignore the request to write one or have chat GPT do it if they really care

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the canonical job for gropius poindexter theramin the fourth

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I've written a few cover letters about how no one reads cover letters. Didn't not get interviews.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

literally never written a cover letter before

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

literally never written a cover letter before

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

"always submit a cover letter", "always thank the hiring manager for their time", "never have more than one page of text on a CV", etc feels like advice passed down from a school's volunteer undergrad resume coach who, themselves, have never had a real job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dijkstracula posted:

1) "always submit a cover letter",
2) "always thank the hiring manager for their time",
3) "never have more than one page of text on a CV", etc feels like advice passed down from a school's volunteer undergrad resume coach who, themselves, have never had a real job

I've hired ~20 people including engineers, reviewed ~2000 resumes, got my first job ~20 years ago. My opinion is USA specific and assumes computer touchers.

1) Sometimes submit a cover letter. If the job requests it and you care about increasing your probability of success or have a resume that needs additional context (gaps, recent career change, relevant story that doesn't fit on a resume) submit a cover letter.
2) Appreciating the time of the person interviewing you, including via a polite thank you, is something you should do to signal that you can do office etiquette. Doing office etiquette can be a big deal in some places.
3) Often you can tell the story of who you are more convincingly on one page rather than two. Non doctorate havers with less than 5 yrs of experience in related roles should never be over a page.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 12, 2023