Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Actually Pwning is Bad

e: worst snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Posting this on the new page because my posting is too good to ignore

Weeding out corruption and bribery = Ukraine is finished!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm3A9P2TpX8

I like this guy's analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXwo4vjXNo

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mobby_6kl posted:

:lol:

Russian stewed beef, allegedly:
https://i.imgur.com/pRmJUPw.mp4

It's just the latest dining trend; homeopathic food! :dumb:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I gagged so hard when the gray slop water poured out of the ration tin. I felt like that had to smell like rancid hot dog water mixed with kvas

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

Post-WW2, but USS Wisconsin collided with another ship and returned to port like this

It got repaired by taking the bow fromm the incomplete USS Kentucky

Isnt there a russian aircraft carrier that looks like this? Im not even trying to be disparaging i feel like i remember one that had like a swoop at the end for launching aircraft

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That would be the Admiral Kuznetsov, most known for constantly being on fire and trying to sink, even in Drydock

It has been in port for "repairs" the entire war and for some time before that iirc, it's the shittiest warship in existence today.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Isnt there a russian aircraft carrier that looks like this? Im not even trying to be disparaging i feel like i remember one that had like a swoop at the end for launching aircraft

Bunch of non-Russian ones too. Ski-jump style aircraft carriers are pretty common around the world (a limited list, admittedly). The US and France are the only ones that still operate catapult launch carriers, iirc.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ishikabibble posted:

Bunch of non-Russian ones too. Ski-jump style aircraft carriers are pretty common around the world (a limited list, admittedly). The US and France are the only ones that still operate catapult launch carriers, iirc.

Are they actually better in anyway? Ive always assumed that the catapult was but i realize now it was just a non critical assumption.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the catapult takes a lot of oomph and know how to operate, the slope is inferior at launching bigger and or heavier planes but a lot cheaper

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
CATOBAR launches maximize payload since the take off is assisted, while ski-jump launches you're flinging yourself up that thing so that you can hopefully have enough thrust after dropping to actually fly so your payload is massively diminished versus a CATOBAR launch. The Kuznetsov is a ferry for anything not a YAK 141, the naval versions of Mig 29s and Flankers fly off to an airfield so they can actually take off with a payload.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:canada::hf::ukraine:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It can't be stressed enough how incredibly, amazingly, shockingly, uniquely massive America's warship production was during World War II, and even then they didn't let ships sink if they could do absolutely anything about it. One of the big things that won the war for the United States was their extremely high competence in damage control, because it enabled them to keep their ships afloat and fighting.

:lol: As compared to drowning 300 of your own men to counteract listing in a fight you knew you'd inevitably lose? :lmao:

quote:

"But what about the Navy? What are they doing to assist in defending Okinawa? Have we no more ships?" Now feeling pressured by the emperor to also mount some kind of attack, Japanese Navy commanders conceived a kamikaze-type mission for their remaining operational large ships, which included the battleship Yamato.

sounds familiar :thunk:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1690059304647204865#m

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

ishikabibble posted:

for good reason, tbc. catapult launch gets you much higher max gross weight into the air, which means fuel and armaments the others can't provide.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tiaz posted:

for good reason, tbc. catapult launch gets you much higher max gross weight into the air, which means fuel and armaments the others can't provide.

yeah the indians had a clusterfuck with their kiev-class conversion and decided to just make it a STOBAR carrier so they could launch planes with payloads (Mig-29Ks and Rafales).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tiaz posted:

The aircraft has to be designed and strengthened for it also, which may be a factor in other countries not going that route.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

They would know.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

"We are supplying them, good talk"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1690093750016516097
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1690093747650842624.html
Jesus loving Christ. Seems lines are being held as much under threats of death and violence and blocking units rather than anything else.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Seems lines are being held as much under threats of death and violence and blocking units rather than anything else.

I mean what's the problem with blocking units? I mean completely normal government s use them to insure that they're highly motivated soldiers are supported and inspired to continue to move forward against the enemy.

I mean honestly I would think that a military is how you say weak if it doesn't have blockade units. I mean haven't you ever heard of the United States Army using blockade units in Iraq I mean they literally had to keep the soldier from getting back on the boats

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

zone posted:

I was cynically thinking a side effect of mining everything to hell is that, if you were pure evil, you could withhold knowledge of the safe path to the rear, as a bonus incentive to hold the line. I'm not suggesting that's something that's actually happened, it just occurred to my black heart.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Well, I mean, the Puccians themselves don't properly keep a record of everywhere they mined, and the sapper units sometimes mine locations without informing everyone else, which has led on several occasions to casualties and destroyed vehicles/heavy equipment

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

I was cynically thinking a side effect of mining everything to hell is that, if you were pure evil, you could withhold knowledge of the safe path to the rear, as a bonus incentive to hold the line. I'm not suggesting that's something that's actually happened, it just occurred to my black heart.

Easier to shoot the soldier and charge their family for the bullet(s) used.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"NATO must halt all assistance to Ukraine as we attempt genocide because NATO's delivery of couch coins is kicking the loving poo poo out of us and we're used to stepping on countries which can't fight back; this isn't fair."

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Actually Pwning is Bad

e: worst snipe

Oh yeah?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

People seem to forget when we took a hard line stance against the Soviet Union putting missiles in Cuba the Soviet Union did in fact back down. Therefore we should take a hard line stance to Russia.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Not until Putin beats his shoe against that stupid long table

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Flyinglemur posted:

Not until Putin beats his shoe against that stupid long table

I think Putin needs to

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

People seem to forget when we took a hard line stance against the Soviet Union putting missiles in Cuba the Soviet Union did in fact back down. Therefore we should take a hard line stance to Russia.

People also seem to forget it wasn't just a hardline response, the US also gave concessions to the USSR in the form of removing NATO missiles from Turkey. They were going to be removed anyway, but the Soviets didn't know that, and the concession was acceptable to them because it gave Khrushchev domestic political cover to escape a situation neither Kennedy nor Khrushchev wanted to be in. The takeaway here is that the Soviet Union is not the Russian Federation, and there is nobody running the show in the Kremlin that would find such a deal acceptable in 2023. You're correct overall, but in more than just one way

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1689979943231365120#m
Umm guys did you remember to worship Moloch and Beelzebub today? :dumb:

I'm honestly surprised they aren't using that as evidence that the country is being ruled by Jewish people in the open, re. cornutam being represented as horns on Moses.

Also, is there any info on fragging numbers from Russia? With how many times the conscripts have been subjected to vicious commands, I'd be amazed if someone hadn't been killed by their own subordinates.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 12, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Samovar posted:

I'm honestly surprised they aren't using that as evidence that the country is being ruled by Jewish people in the open, re. cornutam being represented as horns on Moses.

Also, is there any info on fragging numbers from Russia? With how many times the conscripts have been subjected to vicious commands, I'd be amazed if someone hadn't been killed by their own subordinates.

No numbers have ever been mentioned, but there's a few known incidents where mobiks (either prisoner battalion members or contract soldiers) killed their commanding officers/immediate superiors and attempted escape back to Russia. Some of them succeeded, while a few others were caught in the attempt.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Samovar posted:

There was a point a few months ago we were hearing about Colonel's running platoons. So with that kind of chain of command I fully expect that people have been fragged all over the loving place. Colones are douchebags. And running a platoon is not a colonels job so getting fragged is probably typical. It's very typical.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1690229513689432064?s=20

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If and when ukraine breaks robotyne it makes the rest of the first line untenable. Ad they can start conducting L shaped assaults on the remaining area and storm the trenches.

It's really good. With the way Russia has been conducting the rest of the war it is a pivotal moment for them to be able to get the troops away from the first line of back to the second line of failing to do so without taking heavy casualties will cause many issues. Because the assumption is a certain percentage of the guys on the front line will be moving back to the middle line.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: They also raised every working battleship except the Arizona. I don't think the Japanese considered what it would take to actually keep those ships out of the war.

Yeah, and for good reason. Apparently Japan's damage control procedures and skills were a lot weaker than the US Navy's[1], so I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't conceptually believe or accept that catastrophic damage could be repaired surprisingly quickly.

The naval war in the pacific makes for fantastic reading, and if anyone is even remotely interested, I wholeheartedly recommend James Hornfisher's Neptune's Inferno about the Battle of Guadalcanal and Jonathan Parshall's Shattered Sword about the Battle of Midway. Both are also available as audio books.

[1] not by accident, and not for free. The US Navy learned the hard way that good damage control requires a LOT of work, practise and institutional change, but they got unbelievably good at it. The USS Enterprise earned the nickname "The Grey Ghost" because the Japanese thought they had sunk her several times, only for her crew to heroically patch her up, limp back to port, get repaired in record time, and then turn up to save the day.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

tiaz posted:

A common misconception. It was merely towed out of the environment, and then to Hawaii.
For those that don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/TheKremlinYap/status/1690212357018992640#m
no comment.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

We have arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Ww2 ship damage control and recovery was loving insane, Drachinifel has some awesome videos about it.

I always have a laugh when i see the Amatsukase, it’s the essential front-fell-off boat since literally half of it got blown up and the IJN just slapped some plates on whatever was left of it to form a new bow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/102l98y/survived_stern_of_destroyer_amatsukaze_in_1945/?rdt=60348