Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

PhazonLink posted:

somewhat related to the letter thing.

you still have to input your country. even though you already inputed your address. my dude you have a city, state and zip. and youre still asking for country and you put it in the depths of the 'U's?

lol at 2023 and input forms are arguably more janky than the 90s.

I hate when I go to select my country and can't loving find it because I was looking in the Us and for my convenience they put USA at the very top instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I imagine whether United States is correctly alphabetized or if it’s at the special number 1 spot is a direct result of how many boomers a company deals with

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

you still have to input your country. even though you already inputed your address. my dude you have a city, state and zip. and youre still asking for country and you put it in the depths of the 'U's?

I am in Virginia and have noticed the default "V" option for states a lot of the times is the U.S. Virgin Islands. Convenient for those who live there I guess.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Black Noise posted:

Update and Restart & Update and Shutdown mean the same thing. What a country :psyduck:

Really love not having control over when updates happen. Logged into the work computer yesterday which is a gigantic piece of poo poo that barely runs the software it needs at the best of times. Everything stutters, can't use it. Oh yeah, first time it's been turned on since the Tuesday windows update, it's going to take 50% cpu for a half hour to update. If I had control of it, I'd tell it to run during the hourlong meeting later in the day but noooo, windows knows better than me what's best for the computer I'm using.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

credburn posted:

I hate when I go to select my country and can't loving find it because I was looking in the Us and for my convenience they put USA at the very top instead

Nah this is awesome. Why would you look in the Us if it was already up there at the top?

British Airways has UK first, USA second, followed by Afghanistan Algeria Andorra etc, which I find amusing. Suck it, continental Europe.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got a nasty email becuase I plugged a usb printer into my work laptop.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How do you print a USB?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

It's always been lovely, but youtube had an option to automatically translate subtitles.

If you select it, it displays every language it has in alphabetical order and starts you at A, instead of putting thr language the user interface is currently being served in as the default.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I don't know if this is widespread, but there was a company selling software that allowed law firms to store several megabytes on a sheet of paper to fulfill a legal requirement that they keep a paper record. As long as your USB drive was really small, that's how you'd print it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

It's always been lovely, but youtube had an option to automatically translate subtitles.

If you select it, it displays every language it has in alphabetical order and starts you at A, instead of putting thr language the user interface is currently being served in as the default.

sometimes google/youtube gets my geolocation wrong, even though my vpn and non vpn IPs are both in the US (and several of those free IP checking sites say "oh youre in the USA, state XX, maybe even region YY"), but Google is trying to be smart and helpful and puts me in some country thats not the USA. as a result they also change the language even though i assume my OS and browser say i prefer english.

I like to joke thats because a bunch of oversea peeps are vpning America to stream stuff, so google is just helping those people.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Triikan posted:

I don't know if this is widespread, but there was a company selling software that allowed law firms to store several megabytes on a sheet of paper to fulfill a legal requirement that they keep a paper record. As long as your USB drive was really small, that's how you'd print it.

Iike hexadecimal code or something?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Outrail posted:

Iike hexadecimal code or something?

After seeing that it was a thing I looked around and it seems as though it's stored in a series of grids and as dots. I attached an image, don't know if that works.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

redshirt posted:

But the squeak noises?!

There is so much poo poo I barely hear them anymore

That's why bubble basketball ruled

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Defenistrator posted:

I know this is a joke, but what's a good alternative? I'm thinking of doing either Sirius XM or just buying off bandcamp.

I want to avoid the gently caress outta Spotify because how little it pays independent artists.

YouTube premium is actually really good, no ads ever and the music is as good as Spotify ime

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
At some point in the past year, Costco toilet paper changed and now aerosolizes itself into microscopic toilet-paper particles that coat everything when even slightly moved, what the gently caress

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The Charmin is worth the extra few bucks. This is coming from a guy who, less than five years ago, was exclusively using industrial brand TP that I took home from work.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

At some point in the past year, Costco toilet paper changed and now aerosolizes itself into microscopic toilet-paper particles that coat everything when even slightly moved, what the gently caress

This is too true. It goes EVERYWHERE

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Lol, I just ran into that but I thought it was just more humid or something, that sucks

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

They made the paper 'softer'. With that comes reduced strength. I've always disliked their TP.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Get a bidet.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, but what do you wipe the excess water off with? Ain’t keeping no butt towel next to my toilet.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

I just want to say that I hate instant tea, but I also do not like not being able to buy it if I wanted some.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Tarkus posted:

They made the paper 'softer'. With that comes reduced strength. I've always disliked their TP.

A lot of kirkland stuff sucks but costco diehards are so committed they won’t admit it

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

The Charmin is worth the extra few bucks. This is coming from a guy who, less than five years ago, was exclusively using industrial brand TP that I took home from work.

Kroger sells knockoff Charmin that is perfectly fine.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

holefoods posted:

A lot of kirkland stuff sucks but costco diehards are so committed they won’t admit it

Kirkland is rarely the best stuff you can get but it's usually 80th percentile quality for 40th percentile price

Ghostaga
Jan 12, 2021

Light Gun Man posted:

use antifandom or similar to make wikis less poo poo

there's plugins too

This right here. Also FYI you can just replace fandom in the URL with breezewiki and it will work fine on mobile too.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Defenistrator posted:

I know this is a joke, but what's a good alternative? I'm thinking of doing either Sirius XM or just buying off bandcamp.

I want to avoid the gently caress outta Spotify because how little it pays independent artists.

If you care about artists being able to exist as artists I reckon bandcamp is the only option for you.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Unironically - SA has what is probably my favorite community site design on the Internet. It's very simple - it uses space to provide functionality very well. It's snappy as hell. It wasn't built for a phone by some dumbass front end engineers who then just said, 'gently caress it' when it came to the desktop design. It gets the job done in all the right ways - I wouldn't change much.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Whang just uploaded a video about McDonald's french fries' journey to becoming poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGI1rdJeTbQ

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

skooma512 posted:

Related: Every streaming and TV app interface ever.

Sure lets take 5 minute to type something out on this Ouija board UI with massive input lag.

Yes, Netflix authenticates on the TV instead of the phone. Finally I created a new email address just for that account that's as short as possible

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Spotify just started playing random songs that aren't on my playlist. Why the gently caress would they do this????? Do they not understand what the loving point of a playlist is????????

I turned off what seemed to be the setting doing this (Autoplay similar content) and it's still happening.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Spotify just started playing random songs that aren't on my playlist. Why the gently caress would they do this????? Do they not understand what the loving point of a playlist is????????

I turned off what seemed to be the setting doing this (Autoplay similar content) and it's still happening.

I had the same issue and spent some time figuring out they added a new shuffle play setting that does that, I turned it back to normal shuffle and it solved it.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yep that was it, thanks for the tip. I guess I was supposed to notice the little star they added to the shuffle icon?? Still can't understand what this was for when the whole point of a playlist is you pick the songs you want to hear.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

I just started using the youtube music app.. It offers me dozens of playlists to choose from based on what I've listened to in the past.

Each playlist always contains the same bunch of songs (I've already heard) each time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AI sucks now that it's discovered shitposting.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Yep that was it, thanks for the tip. I guess I was supposed to notice the little star they added to the shuffle icon?? Still can't understand what this was for when the whole point of a playlist is you pick the songs you want to hear.

:tipshat: glad to be of service. My guess is some mid-level exec had to justify their position by implementing something no one asked for or wanted, like usual

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Probably for auto-playing songs with smaller royalty obligations or Spotify owned-no royalties, and hoping the user doesn't notice.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Time_pants posted:

I hope literally every bad thing in the world happens to the person who invented the "hitting the back button on your browser takes you to a 'Wait! Don't you want to read this other thing??'" No, fucko. I hit the back button because I'm done and I want to leave.

The original sin was allowing browsers to become environments for hosting JavaScript applications instead of insisting that they remain a way of viewing linked documents and maybe sending a payload of data to a server via a button+post.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Defenistrator posted:

Get yourself one of these nuggets, slap a 1TB SD card inside, buy your music on Bandcamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Yeah just get this thing that was discontinued 9 years ago. I'm sure the battery on a used one will be just fine.