Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wait nuking people who "might" be working with the Word of Blake is great but nuking a warship isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nuking poo poo in space is fine. It's not like someone was stupid enough to bring civilian infrastructure along with their invasion fleet, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BattleMaster posted:

Wait nuking people who "might" be working with the Word of Blake is great but nuking a warship isn't?

It's a warship in the same way that Geneva is a bunker, I guess.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Regulans nuking everyone they thought might be voluntarily working for the Word of Blake (or the slave-taking Circinus Federation who they also hated) is pretty justifiable. Especially since they were a real underdog and have even fewer forces at their disposal than the Taurians. The Regulan Feifs are not a credible threat to the rest of the League in any era, they're an underdog. They're just an underdog with a lot of uranium.

I mean there's some pretty heartwrenching bits in Jihad: Final Reckoning (I think) where civilian ships and traffic control plead with the Regulans not to nuke their entire planet just because the Master + co might have fled there after Gibson. The Regulans don't listen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

It's a warship in the same way that Geneva is a bunker, I guess.

I didn't realize that Geneva moved to the front lines of a conflict to provide logistical support to combatants. Blowing up supply transports has been an accepted part of warfare since logistics existed as a concept. You might have a conniption if you look up how many supply ships were sunk in World War II.

The Clanners also bring laborers to handle cargo and technicians to repair their equipment on board dropships. Does that mean dropships are off limits because those aren't warriors?

Like no, don't nuke a Clan city. But they regularly bring people who are technically civilians to front line combat zones where they are used as military personnel. Doesn't mean you can't attack their camps, or trucks, or logistical spacecraft.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 12, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Regulan Fiefs are the chihuahua of BattleTech. Small, scrappy, disadvantaged, mean as poo poo, and I don't feel bad when they lose.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BattleMaster posted:

I didn't realize that Geneva moved to the front lines of a conflict to provide logistical support to combatants. Blowing up supply transports has been an accepted part of warfare since logistics existed as a concept. You might have a conniption if you look up how many supply ships were sunk in World War II.

The Clanners also bring laborers to handle cargo and technicians to repair their equipment on board dropships. Does that mean dropships are off limits because those aren't warriors?

I don't think invoking WW2's wartime practices is the supporting point you think it is, but I also do not really want to try to convince someone that nuking a million civilians is bad regardless of where it is or the circumstances that led to them being where they are.

EDIT: like semi-in-character joking aside there is absolutely nothing about the Regulan use of nukes that's even kind of okay, it is inarguably some Bad poo poo and they are not the good guys no matter how underdog they may be or how justified their outrage may have been. Play them all you want I'm not going to judge that but at least recognize it's not a good guy trait.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 12, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

quote:

The Leper Colony observed the two [Regulan] Mammoth DropShips throwing out quantities of what initially appeared to be chaff of some kind, but which was later observed to be clusters of thermonuclear weapons; the two DropShips apparently launched approximately 15 nuclear weapons each per minute for some two hours. Forces on Paradise - described as using a significant number of cutting-edge aerospace fighters and DropShips - were able to intercept several dozen nuclear missiles en route to the planet, but the dozens intercepted were only a small part of the thousands of missiles observed to have been launched.[15]

The travel vectors and speeds taken by the missiles which had been launched appeared initially to be random but were later shown to have been deliberately chosen to enable every major city from pole to pole on Paradise to be hit within a five-minute period; thousands of detonations were observed on the planetary surface during this period, and the blast spectrum exhibited by the exploding missiles indicated that they had been laced or jacketed with cobalt. Each missile was estimated to be a multiple-megaton weapon.

They dropped 3600 cobalt salted megaton-range nukes on Paradise because it had Blakists on it who'd fled from Gibson. The really funny part is they didn't even get the guy they were after

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

I don't think invoking WW2's wartime practices is the supporting point you think it is, but I also do not really want to try to convince someone that nuking a million civilians is bad regardless of where it is or the circumstances that led to them being where they are.

EDIT: like semi-in-character joking aside there is absolutely nothing about the Regulan use of nukes that's even kind of okay, it is inarguably some Bad poo poo and they are not the good guys no matter how underdog they may be or how justified their outrage may have been. Play them all you want I'm not going to judge that but at least recognize it's not a good guy trait.

I don't think Regulans are any good but lol at "nuking people who might be working with Word of Blake" is justified but attacking a front line logistics center is bad.

You weren't saying that but PTN did.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That was Arquinsiel's take, not Strobe's

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I was responding to PTN's take specifically, I was never accusing Strobe of that

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm not sure if that's what PTN really meant by not nuking the Foxes either

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm not sure if that's what PTN really meant by not nuking the Foxes either

Cripes it was only last page but here it is

quote:

The Regulans nuking everyone they thought might be voluntarily working for the Word of Blake (or the slave-taking Circinus Federation who they also hated) is pretty justifiable. Especially since they were a real underdog and have even fewer forces at their disposal than the Taurians. The Regulan Feifs are not a credible threat to the rest of the League in any era, they're an underdog. They're just an underdog with a lot of uranium.

I don't want to defend them too heavily; but their level of strategic response to the Word was exactly what (the fake) Thomas Marik told Paul Masters he most feared: that Mechwarriors would be replaced with nukes.

Edit: And I'd also like to point out the difference between 'justified' and 'justifiable,' the Regulans went overboard but believed they were in an "us or them" situation and they chose themselves.

quote:

Oh shoot, I missed that one.

That one's less justifiable.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Like I said: Justifiable, not justified.

They Regulans were screaming "don't climb in bed with the Word of Blake" into the void for 12 years before the Jihad started. Kirc Cameron-Jones was assassinated by the Wobbies in September 3077. Titus Cameron-Jones's pregnant wife was also murdered by the Word of Blake in October 3077.

They were in a "do our families survive our mercy?" situation.

It's why I grimace whenever the Regulans are described as unreasonable. They made very reasonable choices. Unenviable ones, terrible ones, but the Word of Blake opened the Jihad with nukes and the Regulans had every reason to expect a planet would be getting nuked one way or the other and that one has Wobbies on it so welp.

Deploying nukes is terrible to consider, even in a fictional setting. The Regulans (and Taurians) are both too quick to employ them.

Strobe posted:

The Regulan Fiefs are the chihuahua of BattleTech. Small, scrappy, disadvantaged, mean as poo poo, and I don't feel bad when they lose.
That's a good summation, yeah. They've made some absolutely terrible decisions but it's not like they were barking for no reason.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 12, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think I'm here to defend nukes more than anything. They're nice and I like their anti-nihilist message of "if everyone here is going to muddy the waters with their meddling, then They and the Waters and Here should all just disappear".

Bomus points for the "And never come back" postscript signed in cobalt.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I just want Clan Ice Hellion back. :qq:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just want Clan Ice Hellion back. :qq:

Could you explain why? I'm an Inner Sphere and mercenary fan, and the closest thing to the Clans I like is Clan Snord, so I may just be underinformed about their particulars, but why the Ice Hellions?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
As not a Ice Hellions fan their paint schemes seem pretty cool

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Most of the reason to pick any faction is because you like their paint schemes and 'mechs and vehicles, and after a lot of people fell in love Catalyst went on a big ol' rampage of murdering tons of Clans.

I guess there were too many, I kind of imagine FASA inflated the number of Clans to add to the mystery, like ooh these are the ones invading but there's a whole massive world of Kerensky's descendants out there without thinking that maybe that would be too many when they went back to flesh them out.

But kind of a dick move

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TBH I was more taking shots at the Sea Foxes for being stupid enough to risk bringing an ArcShip anywhere near combat. It's hard to argue that it matters how the thing gets vented when it sticks all the military assets in one fragile hull that also contains parliament, coffee shops, and schools. Even harder to argue that it's not a legit target when it's supporting a blockade with force. Then threatening orbital bombardment in response to a failed nuking just teaches the Regulans not to fail next time.

In retrospect tricking the clanners into bidding away warships by not committing fighters to defence and then just sneakily nuking their jump capacity would have been the best way to halt the invasion in mid 3050. Can't moan about honour if your HPG is a rapidly expanding cloud, after all.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you want a scrappy underdog faction, may I suggest the Principality of Regulus / Regulan Feifs?

They're a FWL member state known for such unreasonable stances as:
- Not liking one family having supreme executive power in perpetuity
- Supporting fair elections
- Supporting free speech
- Supporting free religious practice
- Not liking the Word of Blake
- REALLY not liking the Word of Blake's (eventually successful but at the time) attempt to genocide the population of Gibson, the planet Thomas Marik "gifted" to them
- Not liking that Thomas Marik allowed the Word of Blake to exterminate the native population of Gibson
- Trying to aid the native population of the planet Gibson through both humanitarian and military means
- Trying to tactically nuke the Word of Blake leadership on Gibson (in 3055, fully a decade before the Jihad)
- Successfully nuking the Word of Blake leadership in 3079, during the Jihad
- Successfully nuking The Master (the real Thomas Marik, supreme leader of the Word of Blake), in 3081
- Not wanting to rejoin the reformed Free Worlds League (and being forced to do so at gunpoint by the Sea Foxes) after its disolution

PoptartsNinja posted:

They actually don't, though. That's the Taurians. They didn't nuke the Sea Foxes when their entire economy was under blockade, the Sea Foxes hadn't earned that level of response.

They're described as nuke-happy because of Ideal War, where (in desperation because they knew they were losing and losing badly) they tried to use a tactical nuke (1kt Davey Jones, the smallest nuke in the setting) to take out the Word of Blake leadership for their (ongoing) genocide on Gibson. It was a last-ditch Hail Mary play after they were deprived any other reasonable way to protect the people of Gibson.

Please keep in mind the mercenaries in service for the Wobbies were getting paid for the severed hands (ears? I forget, it was a body part) of Gibson's natives. Regulus was aware of this and was aware that the FWLM was there to protect the Word's right to murder any native Gibsonian who didn't swordpoint convert to the Word with enough zeal. As good and moral a person as he presents himself, legendary Knight of the Inner Sphere Sir Paul Masters is a willing dupe in service to that novel's villains who has "concerns" about the Word's methods but does gently caress-all to stop them. As reasonable and erudite as Precentor Gibson William Blane appears to be, he was still fully aware of the Word's activities and not only condoned them but was their instigator.

Pictured: Very reasonable man, the nicest and kindest and most softhearted member of the Word of Blake (so softhearted they assassinated him prior to the Jihad so they could elevate even more bloodthirsty monsters to positions of power), and very close personal friend of the (fake) Thomas Marik: Precentor William Blane

I don't want to defend them too heavily; but their level of strategic response to the Word was exactly what (the fake) Thomas Marik told Paul Masters he most feared: that Mechwarriors would be replaced with nukes.

Edit: And I'd also like to point out the difference between 'justified' and 'justifiable,' the Regulans went overboard but believed they were in an "us or them" situation and they chose themselves.

Sold. Regulans it is.

I even own Ideal War and read it probably 25+ years ago but hosed if I can remember anything about it. I definitely was reading Battletech novels in middle school but that was so long ago I barely remember them. I actually just rummaged around the basement and found Ideal War (and Impetus of War, Flashpoint, and the first two Twilight of the Clans books). Gonna have to re-read it!

EDIT: I like the brown-y orange or orange-y brown color Regluans use so that's a plus.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:sickos:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

General Battuta posted:

They dropped 3600 cobalt salted megaton-range nukes on Paradise because it had Blakists on it who'd fled from Gibson. The really funny part is they didn't even get the guy they were after

Ok the regulans seem pretty great

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

As a fictional element in the setting, absolutely. As a moral actor no, that’s bad!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I somehow judge the Regulans less for using 3600 Tsar Bombas than for the insane level of production and support you'd need to generate that much plutonium to make them

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

What's nuts is I didn't remember the WoB like at all, for some reason or another I thought they were cooked up for the Clix game, but nope, they were there long before that. Again, hazy knowledge! Think I'll start re-reading Ideal War today, I haven't really sat down to read a book in a while

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of people just quietly memory hole that Focht's plan to deal with Demona Aziz in 3052 directly leads to the Jihad.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They took over Terra from the single company (!) and two AeroSpace fighters that the ComGuards defending it in like, ten minutes in 3055-ish.

Focht just kinda shrugged and said "That's probably fine."

General Battuta posted:

As a fictional element in the setting, absolutely. As a moral actor no, that’s bad!

Yeah, Regulus has absolutely done wrong. It's just that, as far as the setting goes, they're not that bad? At least the enemies they're trying to defend themselves against are usually real. Lester Cameron-Jones still really hates the Word of Blake but he doesn't come across as an unreasonable ruler when compared to the rest of the Inner Sphere.

And since it doesn't look like he's had children that means he's likely going to be succeeded by Gerald Cameron-Jones' granddaughter, who's a virtual unknown and is hopefully a bit more divorced from the main family's tendency to go straight from negotiations to nuclear threats with no middle steps taken in between.

It's been fun seeing a lot of the traditional "bad part of [successor state]" factions (like the Sarna March) get mellowed out while traditional "good part of [successor state]" (like the Draconis March) get to play the internal-antagonist foils for a bit.

Let Oriente be the League's internal antagonist for a bit. That'd spice things up a little.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 12, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

They took over Terra from the single company (!) and two AeroSpace fighters that the ComGuards defending it in like, ten minutes in 3055-ish.

Focht just kinda shrugged and said "That's probably fine."
Worse than that, when he's explaining to the First Circuit that he just :commissar:'d Myndo Waterly and Aziz gets all huffy he just lets her go. Doesn't even bother trying to detain her or anything. Probably had a solid three quarters of his flechette block left in the gun and all.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

A Lyran general screwing up? Really?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
He was probably just trying to remember her name.

IIRC Demona Aziz was (accidentally?) referred to by at least one and possible two other similar names in the 3050s. Demona Aziz was just the name that wound up sticking. I know her last name was Aliz for a bit (for like: one chapter in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy maybe? Probably either because the Stackpole got her confused with Pedrigor or before they'd fully decided the First Circuit didn't inherit their positions?); and I could be misremembering but I swear she was also 'Desdemona' for a little while.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Hmm…I wonder whether this Demona lady is gonna cause any trouble

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
She died in 3058 so she kinda didn't.

I mean, she definitely tried, mind you. She just ran afoul of the Death Commandos.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Traveller posted:

A Lyran general screwing up? Really?

yeah I always wondered what it was about Teddy K's gunshot that magically made Freddy Steiner better at generalling

actual answer is they literally made him an Odin analogue (traded an eye for wisdom)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He was always good at generalling, he was just also bad at politics. Him causing the Jihad by failing to order a bullet into the back of Aziz's head shows that the whole Odin idea was something he bought into himself and put far too much stock in. He was still bad at politics. He just ignored the "wisdom" he earned and decided to go back into politics.

PoptartsNinja posted:

He was probably just trying to remember her name.

IIRC Demona Aziz was (accidentally?) referred to by at least one and possible two other similar names in the 3050s. Demona Aziz was just the name that wound up sticking. I know her last name was Aliz for a bit (for like: one chapter in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy maybe? Probably either because the Stackpole got her confused with Pedrigor or before they'd fully decided the First Circuit didn't inherit their positions?); and I could be misremembering but I swear she was also 'Desdemona' for a little while.
If you've read the recent-ish ebooks then a lot of that comes from not using the wonky Battlecorps epub versions, but from fixing those problems by OCR-ing print copies and introducting entirely new problems. Like how when Michi Noketsuna is referred to as "Michi-kun" by someone the scanner picked it up as "Michigan" every time. There's quite a few similar problems in

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I now want to play some MechWarrior game with a character named Michigan Noketsuna, the son of a Taurian woman and a Draconis man

Literally that "Howdy, my name is Rawhide Kobayashi" meme

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
BattleTech has a lot of mixed-culture names like that and it's kind of weirdly charming.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

BattleTech has a lot of mixed-culture names like that and it's kind of weirdly charming.

It's like Alex Kamal in The Expanse series. A guy from Mars with South Asian heritage and thick as hell Texan accent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

If you've read the recent-ish ebooks

I'm talking original paper copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

He was always good at generalling, he was just also bad at politics. Him causing the Jihad by failing to order a bullet into the back of Aziz's head shows that the whole Odin idea was something he bought into himself and put far too much stock in. He was still bad at politics. He just ignored the "wisdom" he earned and decided to go back into politics.

Also he didn't know where his army got its guns from so he thought Terra was just a symbol.