Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So many little background details in this episode. Like when I watched the episode I didn't notice how the Starros detach from their hosts when getting in the escape pod.

I am worried about the Joker going evil again and possibly Harley too? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Starro has been making a lot of little appearances the last couple of episodes, I wonder if it's going to end up playing a larger part or they just think it's fun to have the big alien starfish schlorping about (which it is!)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Harley sleepwalking and breaking stuff :ohdear:

DaveKap posted:

Another great episode. Not enough shows just have the main characters winning. It's so feel-good.

Too many terrible formulaic TV shows left me expecting, somewhere in the back of my mind, that the climax of this episode would be "Ivy talked too much, now she can't give the address, and so she learns a valuable lesson about something or other".

Luckily, they instead chose the superior path of "Ivy refused to take Luthor's poo poo and hustled her rear end off, making him look like an chump for not realising how awesome she is".

Jerusalem posted:

Starro has been making a lot of little appearances the last couple of episodes, I wonder if it's going to end up playing a larger part or they just think it's fun to have the big alien starfish schlorping about (which it is!)

It's Harley Quinn, so I could see any of
  • Starro invades the world, which becomes the dramatic A-plot of the season
  • Starro invades the world, HQ and Ivy go on a date in a town he's taken over and barely notice
  • Starro's spawnlings sign up for little league with Damien, Joker's kids and the baby sharks
happening.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 4, 2023

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
All 3 at once is the most likely outcome I feel

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really hope we get Jarro.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like this version of Batman is such a fuckup it'd be pretty tonally different. Jarro would be teaching him to be a better Batman.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

thebardyspoon posted:

I feel like this version of Batman is such a fuckup it'd be pretty tonally different. Jarro would be teaching him to be a better Batman.

Jarro who wants Batman to live up to the stories he's heard about Batman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched the first 3 episodes of Harley Quinn and man start about a strong start.

Dollman is a pretty deep cut. I had no idea he was a DC character now. Was he a Fawcett comics charater? Oh well, he's dead now. Also Snowflame, SNOWFLAME, breakout character of these episodes. Good thing this is an 18+ series so he can actually be shown doing fat rails constantly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Harley Quinn is just nailing it this season, episode 4 was also great.

Edit: Oh man, I thought this was the General Chat thread for some reason, sorry!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 5, 2023

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

twistedmentat posted:

I watched the first 3 episodes of Harley Quinn and man start about a strong start.

Dollman is a pretty deep cut. I had no idea he was a DC character now. Was he a Fawcett comics charater? Oh well, he's dead now. Also Snowflame, SNOWFLAME, breakout character of these episodes. Good thing this is an 18+ series so he can actually be shown doing fat rails constantly.

Dollman fought alongside Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. They've been part of the DCU on and off for a while now.

I thought it was odd they killed him off, since the latest version of him is/was in Grant Morrison's Multiversity maxi-series, where he is a Jehovah's Witness and the rest of the team are members of groups that were also persecuted by the Nazis.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dollman vs. Ragdoll is basically why. Just a dumb little gag.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Dollman vs. Ragdoll is basically why. Just a dumb little gag.

Tragic lack of superpeople named Manrag.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Open Source Idiom posted:

Tragic lack of superpeople named Manrag.

There's a Ragman. DC, too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LashLightning posted:

Dollman fought alongside Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. They've been part of the DCU on and off for a while now.

I thought it was odd they killed him off, since the latest version of him is/was in Grant Morrison's Multiversity maxi-series, where he is a Jehovah's Witness and the rest of the team are members of groups that were also persecuted by the Nazis.

Ah I know him from that book about weird and wacky superheroes and he's in the section "Man they'd do anything in the Golden Age".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
GOTCHA BITCH

GOTCHA BITCH

GOTCHA BITCH

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Unkempt posted:

There's a Ragman. DC, too.

Ragman is cool

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, but a) Ragman doesn't have quite the same symmetry as the other two titles have with their use of "doll", and b) "Manrag" is a funnier name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well the one thing lacking so far this season - Sadsack Commissioner Gordon - was back in spades this episode :hellyeah:

Gonz posted:

GOTCHA BITCH

GOTCHA BITCH

GOTCHA BITCH

drat, he really is good!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So Supergirl is working as a optometrist? Is that a comics thing? I guess, she's proficient in eye lasers.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Does lube freeze?"

(in unison) "If it's water-based."

cant cook creole bream posted:

So Supergirl is working as a optometrist? Is that a comics thing? I guess, she's proficient in eye lasers.

I think making Supergirl an optometrist was just a way to write her into the plot this episode, in an innocuous-seeming way. This is one of those episodes of TV where the last few seconds make everything that just happened take on a new significance. There are a lot of misdirects and red herrings, like Harley's sleepwalking or the guy with the parrot saying he'll kill Nightwing, but I think these are the crucial facts. (In a separate spoiler block, for anyone who wants to solve the mystery on their own.)

1. Supergirl mentioned that Nora critiqued her appearance, even though they specifically weren't video chatting.

2. Jim Gordon found a blonde hair in the cloning machine.

3. Ivy's mentees say they found a way to make their plan even more destructive than it already was. Later, they try to tell her that things went disastrously wrong, but Ivy is too distracted to listen.

4. The main focus of everyone's attention this episode is a statue, with which people are inexplicably obsessed. A Galatea, if you will. Coincidentally, Galatea was the name of Supergirl's clone in the DCAU, created as a covert, unstoppable killer.

5. Nightwing was investigating something solo at the studio where Tawney's show was happening, and apparently "found all the evidence he needed". The next time we seem him, he's dead. (Or at least brutally mangled and unconscious. But probably dead.)

To sum it up: Ivy's mentees cloned Supergirl to take their scheme to the next level. Nightwing was investigating them, heard someone mention "Galatea" and came to the conclusion, 60s Batman-style, that this meant the statue was a key part of the scheme. He went in alone, confident that he could take three inexperienced villains trying to impress and hype up their mentor by adding a spectacle of lava, sharks and earthquakes to go along with her statue reveal.

Instead, he ran into an evil Kryptonian and got murdered. The kids panicked and told Galatea to take care of it. Galatea decided to frame Harley - Galatea probably didn't know about the sleepwalking or Dick being a dick to her, but Harley was still the obvious target as a reformed villain who'd just joined the Batfamily. So she puts the friendship bracelet on Dick's wrist, uses her super-senses to find Harley, and puts the corpse in the tree right above her.

The rest of the season is probably going to be dealing with fallout from all this.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 10, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Same but Lex is involved and the assistants are meant to distract Ivy while all the stuff happens behind the scenes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Well the one thing lacking so far this season - Sadsack Commissioner Gordon - was back in spades this episode :hellyeah:

That was a little too sad even for him :(

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

"Does lube freeze?"

(in unison) "If it's water-based."

I think making Supergirl an optometrist was just a way to write her into the plot this episode, in an innocuous-seeming way. This is one of those episodes of TV where the last few seconds make everything that just happened take on a new significance. There are a lot of misdirects and red herrings, like Harley's sleepwalking or the guy with the parrot saying he'll kill Nightwing, but I think these are the crucial facts. (In a separate spoiler block, for anyone who wants to solve the mystery on their own.)

1. Supergirl mentioned that Nora critiqued her appearance, even though they specifically weren't video chatting.

2. Jim Gordon found a blonde hair in the cloning machine.

3. Ivy's mentees say they found a way to make their plan even more destructive than it already was. Later, they try to tell her that things went disastrously wrong, but Ivy is too distracted to listen.

4. The main focus of everyone's attention this episode is a statue, with which people are inexplicably obsessed. A Galatea, if you will. Coincidentally, Galatea was the name of Supergirl's clone in the DCAU, created as a covert, unstoppable killer.

5. Nightwing was investigating something solo at the studio where Tawney's show was happening, and apparently "found all the evidence he needed". The next time we seem him, he's dead. (Or at least brutally mangled and unconscious. But probably dead.)

To sum it up: Ivy's mentees cloned Supergirl to take their scheme to the next level. Nightwing was investigating them, heard someone mention "Galatea" and came to the conclusion, 60s Batman-style, that this meant the statue was a key part of the scheme. He went in alone, confident that he could take three inexperienced villains trying to impress and hype up their mentor by adding a spectacle of lava, sharks and earthquakes to go along with her statue reveal.

Instead, he ran into an evil Kryptonian and got murdered. The kids panicked and told Galatea to take care of it. Galatea decided to frame Harley - Galatea probably didn't know about the sleepwalking or Dick being a dick to her, but Harley was still the obvious target as a reformed villain who'd just joined the Batfamily. So she puts the friendship bracelet on Dick's wrist, uses her super-senses to find Harley, and puts the corpse in the tree right above her.

The rest of the season is probably going to be dealing with fallout from all this.

I'm not sure if this is mostly a :tinfoil: post or a :hmmyes: post, but I like it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Maybe it's because I'm trans myself, but I really liked Batgirl's roommate.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

I Am Fowl posted:

Maybe it's because I'm trans myself, but I really liked Batgirl's roommate.

I really enjoyed her disapproval of Harley's new career path.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

itry posted:

That was a little too sad even for him :(

Hey, he had his chance for happiness and tossed it aside without a second thought, he deserves this! Well... I mean, maybe NOBODY deserves that... but he deserves something!

itry posted:

I'm not sure if this is mostly a :tinfoil: post or a :hmmyes: post, but I like it.

:agreed::hf::same:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Daduzi posted:

I really enjoyed her disapproval of Harley's new career path.

Same! I also enjoyed that she hates cops.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was "wtf is the title of this episode" about, and welp, lol.

Bab's roomates reaction to like, everything, the best. And Ivy's observation of the PR guys shoes, like I loving hate those brown shoes that all well off young guys wear these days, at least they didn't pair them with tight fitting pants. I don't care how expensive they are, they're ugly as sin.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Bizarro Captain Cold's real name is Trans Nel.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'd like to mention that when the parrot escaped from Tawny's show, the handler said he was going to kill whoever left the door open.

It was Nightwing.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
What did you spot in the League of Loises' weapons closet?

I saw Lemarchand's box, a Goldeneye proxy mine, Resident Evil rocket launcher, a Columbia skyhook, Card captor Sakura's staff, mjolnir, Siegfried's sword from Soul Calibur, a phantasm orb, Hades's spear, the wabbajack, and the Clock Tower shears.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Pretty sure that was one of The Monarch's dart guns in the top right.

Edit: Also the Noisy Cricket from Men In Black.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 12, 2023

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
The pair of swords on the bottom left are too distinct to be random, but I can't place them

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SonOfGhostDad posted:

What did you spot in the League of Loises' weapons closet?

I saw Lemarchand's box, a Goldeneye proxy mine, Resident Evil rocket launcher, a Columbia skyhook, Card captor Sakura's staff, mjolnir, Siegfried's sword from Soul Calibur, a phantasm orb, Hades's spear, the wabbajack, and the Clock Tower shears.

Forums user Das Boo is apparently an animator for the show and did the details for that closet. Crossposting from the Berserk thread in ADTRW:

Das Boo posted:

Just thought you guys might like this: I put Dragon Slayer in the Superman cartoon I worked on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's fun as hell to see everyone figuring out the references! I'll give it a while before I confirm them all, and it'll only be on here, but

SonOfGhostDad posted:

a phantasm orb

So drat proud of you. I was worried that one would slide by.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So who were those Supermen? The one with just a blacked out symbol... was that meant to be Red Son Superman? I think the one using ice breath might have been the Batman Beyond one who was being controlled by Starro, and the brief split second shot of one near the end might have been Justice Lord Superman? And I have zero idea about the one with a scar over his eye.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Now that we have Dollman, we also need to have the infamous Paper doll Man

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Argue posted:

So who were those Supermen? The one with just a blacked out symbol... was that meant to be Red Son Superman? I think the one using ice breath might have been the Batman Beyond one who was being controlled by Starro, and the brief split second shot of one near the end might have been Justice Lord Superman? And I have zero idea about the one with a scar over his eye.

Pretty sure the first one with the black symbol was Overman and the second one was Justice Lords Supes. Unsure about the scar guy too.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Das Boo posted:

It's fun as hell to see everyone figuring out the references! I'll give it a while before I confirm them all, and it'll only be on here, but

So drat proud of you. I was worried that one would slide by.

I can't place the red pistol or the square rifle on the top. Don't leave me hanging!

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
Kyoshi warriors fan, and... the block sword is giving me Kid Icarus: Uprising vibes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SonOfGhostDad posted:

I can't place the red pistol or the square rifle on the top. Don't leave me hanging!

This is the cheat sheet I gave the colorist:
https://i.imgur.com/C0lwnJQ.jpg

Some aren't references for plausible deniability. I intentionally changed a few details on others since I was worried they might be too familiar. The ones kept true to form were intended to be obscured through a B palette, which... whoops.

The second blocky sword is also a Disgaea reference- Yoshitsuna. I spent many, many hours in item world getting the legendary version of it back in the day.

I think the Supes are Overman, Justice Lord, and Superboy Prime? I think? I remember them in the design meeting, but I don't quite remember the deets. I'll ask Jake.