Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

dark sun is the only dnd setting im actually familiar with so this kinda gith is a bit weird

We're never going to see another Dark Sun game again because it's too Political

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Buck Wildman posted:

here's another fun fact then: the athasian gith are the heavily degenerated descendants of a githyanki expedition that crash landed on athas trying to travel through the grey, one of the only instances of anyone passing through it alive

wasn't there one successful planar invasion, only then the invaders got decimated by some random herders, because Dark Sun?

edit found it, the BG2 planar sphere visited Athas, and some Halfllings invaded it right back lol (and got trapped in it)

Goa Tse-tung has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Aug 12, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Found the place entirely by accident too. Those two bees were being such pains in the rear end that I decided to give them the ol razzmatazz and it kept going

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wyll literally off to the side getting murdered by goblins because he can't jump while the rest of the party is just casually sneaking away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/warlockracy/status/1690062855255572480?t=CGBweU3WB7hqYQ7DUEmE6Q&s=19

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im on team goblin

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cuttlefush posted:

im on team goblin

is this about that drow? dude shes not gonna - oh*°

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al! posted:

is this about that drow? dude shes not gonna - oh*°

the goblins are under my protection

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

some dialogue said "something awful." ty for the shout out, bg3.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arivia posted:

the cell that goes rogue is the moonstars

I thought the Moonstars were the guys that kept working for Khelben, aka the government?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

fun fact: the githzerai were originally one of those naturally monkeycheese random chaotic neutral races similar to the slaad or kender but dakkon was so popular that they completely retconned the entire race to be more like him

this is incorrect. githzerai did have CN as their listed alignment through 2e, but the monastic elements and the zerth go all the way back to their first book printing in the 1e fiend folio. (gently caress I’m not digging up an old white dwarf to check the very first writeup though). they were never naturally monkey cheese random though, neither were the slaad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

evilmiera posted:

I thought the Moonstars were the guys that kept working for Khelben, aka the government?

khelben’s moonstars work wasn’t really government approved or something a lot of the other harpers liked, that’s why it split off. he was doing morally shades of gray stuff being the hard man making hard choices but hey it worked out with getting rhymanthiin back so

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

im on team goblin

gently caress the goblin. Racist assholes refused to acknowledge my massive contributions to the sport of chicken chasing.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

DrManiac posted:

gently caress the goblin. Racist assholes refused to acknowledge my massive contributions to the sport of chicken chasing.

skill issue mate

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

DrManiac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMywYbQw5A0

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

talked to a dog in BG3 and he wanted someone to call him a good boy :unsmith:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

GIRL BRAINS posted:

*kicking in the door to some peasants cottage and annihilating his house cat with three bolts of pure force* playtime is over

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I don't believe these changes are due to some hatred of martial characters from the game developers

fwiw I don't think this is as outrageous as it sounds. different system but during Pillars of Eternity's development rope kid had to stop other devs taking away Fighter abilities like Fear immunity and giving them to the Paladin

I think it's less "hatred" and more very rigid ideas about how a Fighter is just a person with a weapon so all they can do is full attack, while other classes have some supernatural element that justifies being able to do cool stuff. wizards are like Gandalf and Merlin and can cast spells just like they can; fighters are ??? can't think of any mythical warriors??? guess they just hit things

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lt. Danger posted:

I think it's less "hatred" and more very rigid ideas about how a Fighter is just a person with a weapon so all they can do is full attack, while other classes have some supernatural element that justifies being able to do cool stuff. wizards are like Gandalf and Merlin and can cast spells just like they can; fighters are ??? can't think of any mythical warriors??? guess they just hit things

That's right. D&D has always had to struggle with the mindset that since the Fighter is not a supernatural being/does not have supernatural powers, that their abilities have to be very particularly reined in, even when the developers say they're paying literary homage to figures like Cu Chulainn.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Thats the class fantasy for some though, everyone else is magic as poo poo and you're just a grubby guy in mail who shoots the wizard in the mouth with your crossbow

But there's no need to make them mechanically bad

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Wish I knew cantrips didn't use a spell slot and it's infinitely more useful to take up the utility ones and absolutely no more than 1 damage cantrip.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sláine is my favorite fighter or barbarian permutation because warping is cool as hell but he’s still fundamentally about hitting people with his axe, brainbiter

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

uber_stoat posted:

all the Gith got turned into weird assholes on account of being tortured by squid monsters forever. there's a Gith in Planescape Torment too, he's just a different variety of rear end in a top hat.

I will hear no slander of my homie, Dak'kon!!!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Arivia posted:

this is incorrect. githzerai did have CN as their listed alignment through 2e, but the monastic elements and the zerth go all the way back to their first book printing in the 1e fiend folio. (gently caress I’m not digging up an old white dwarf to check the very first writeup though). they were never naturally monkey cheese random though, neither were the slaad

/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dakkon is the only gith I’ve ever liked in a game, usually they’re so loving annoying and edgy like La’Zael but Dak’kon was an incredibly interesting and well written party member whose planar being made him seem genuinely alien instead of just lawful evil Klingon. might be a difference between Githyanki and Githzerai I’m forgetting though

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Solidarity for my man Dak'kon

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

a cautionary tale that could have been avoided by not telling anyone you have covid

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Solidarity for my man Dak'kon

Endure

In enduring, grow strong

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

Thats the class fantasy for some though, everyone else is magic as poo poo and you're just a grubby guy in mail who shoots the wizard in the mouth with your crossbow

But there's no need to make them mechanically bad

How is grubby guy in mail with no supernatural abilities going to win a fight against a NPC with supernatural abilities? Supernatural abilities are greater than natural abilities. That's what makes them super.

There's only two ways to fix it:

1) FOLLOWERS for quantitative advantage: the10th level fighter and his band of mounted knights and crossbowmen overwhelm the evil wizard. That's equivalent to magic. What's the mechanical difference between a summoned skeleton and a follower in a fight? What's the mechanical difference between 10 crossbow bolts from followers and a magic missile from the wizard?

2) Supernatural abilities for fighters.

D&D is barely a game, any way. At the end of the day, there is a DM who says what happens. The only constraint is having enough fun as a group to keep playing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

How is grubby guy in mail with no supernatural abilities going to win a fight against a NPC with supernatural abilities?

by shooting them in the head

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
glory to the grubbiest

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

How is grubby guy in mail with no supernatural abilities going to win a fight against a NPC with supernatural abilities? Supernatural abilities are greater than natural abilities. That's what makes them super.
I mean, just because an ability is supernatural doesn't mean you're able to really leverage it into winning. Like, I doubt anyone in this thread would be able to beat up a peak Mike Tyson, even if they had mind reading and the ability to perfectly predict his attacks.

If it's like a wizard, the answer is to get them to monologue and then throw a chicken bone in their mouth, then run up and chop off/break their hands.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, just because an ability is supernatural doesn't mean you're able to really leverage it into winning. Like, I doubt anyone in this thread would be able to beat up a peak Mike Tyson, even if they had mind reading and the ability to perfectly predict his attacks.

If it's like a wizard, the answer is to get them to monologue and then throw a chicken bone in their mouth, then run up and chop off/break their hands.

I could do it with my bankai

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
a legendary Fighter is, The Boss

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
is there a metal gear tabletop?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

thats a terrible comparison because Mike Tyson was famously defeated by pigs

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Al! posted:

is there a metal gear tabletop?

Put your monitor on the dinner table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can get by pretty far in Baldur’s Gate 3 by being a guy that throws heavy objects on someone from a height.